Traded in my TL for another TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Traded in my TL for another TSX

So this time last year I traded in my 12 TSX SE for a 12 TL base because my wife and I were expecting our second child by the end of the year. Needless to say I got a wrecked CPO that was not disclosed or reported to car fax. It was repaired off the bottom line of the dealer. So I don't know what all was fixed but I did not really like the TL compared to the TSX. Sure it had more power and space, but the ride was not as smooth and the 6 speed auto was terrible especially when the motor was cold. In the end I think the TSX is just a more finished product than the TL and the only thing I can think of as to why is the TSX is made in Japan. All the other Japan cars I have been test driving have all been far above the TL in all areas. But I stayed in the family due to a good deal on another TSX, this time got Silver instead of black. If anyone else has been in a situation where they bought a CPO from a dealer that has had damage please let me know and I can see if I can help you. It took me almost a year but I got the results I wanted from the start.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of repairs were done and how did you find out the car had been wrecked?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see you stated you were unsure as to what all was fixed. I should read these threads a little more closely.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
sad to see you downgrade.. but this is the type of story that gives the 4g a bad name.. you bought a CPO that was wrecked.. this comes with the territory of buying a CPO.. you roll the dice on these things even tho it is Certified.. Most CPO are lease cars.. and people that get into accidents with lease cars almost never report it to insurance instead they pay out of pocket to fix so that it doesnt show on record.. Dealers usually dont inspect the car thoroughly before taking the lease back.

my 4g has been fine to me for 3.5 years.. i had some paint issues but nothing mechanical.. no roof rattle no squeaks, no blown speakers.. probably the only thing i had mechanically wrong was the rear headrest button got stuck.. yet i dont even consider that a major problem.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
A TSX is an inferior car to the TL. period. I have driven NUMEROUS TSX's that were loaners, while my RL / TL / and MDX have been in for service. the TSX is a great car but it is a lesser car in every respect to the TL.

the TSX is perhaps a better car if you are concerned with mpg and you have a 4cyl TSX to save money... but in terms of luxury, comfort, etc etc.. the TL wins.

you downgraded.
The following users liked this post:
ash1221 (08-16-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The TSX is a downgrade. I'm not really sure how you can look at it any other way given the big price gap. The few times that I have had one as a loaner, I've walked away the impression that anyone that buys one is only doing so because they can't afford a nicer Acura. It's a car for someone that wants the badge but not the cost.

If the dealer has you convinced that you're getting a great deal when you trade your cars in after only a year, I'm not sure that we're going to be able to convince you otherwise.
ash1221 (08-16-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahta
I've walked away the impression that anyone that buys one is only doing so because they can't afford a nicer Acura. It's a car for someone that wants the badge but not the cost.

If it was all for the badge why wouldn't someone spend an extra 2k and get a BMW 320i?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 78 Likes on 73 Posts
So? Go hang out on the TSX side thens.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
^people who are generally dicks either lack it or wants one in them...
The following 3 users liked this post by mondster:
Rocket_man (08-10-2013), Ruby (08-10-2013), types1fan (08-10-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

The only damage that I know of is both doors on the driver side had been replaced. There was also lots of glass on the inside of the car in every nook and cranny as possible. The car was a personal use vehicle from the dealer, so they new about the damage, just decided to fix it under the table and hope I wouldn't notice. I know the TL's interior is an upgrade over the TSX but I really like the TSX SE interior. I can't commit on a new TL, but the one I had was not as smooth of a ride or as quite on the inside as my TSX. This is more than likely due to the accident, but as that is the only 1 I have driven that's what I compare it to. As to not being able to afford the TL, I could afford any Acura model. I was looking at the Lexus GS350 F-Sport, but when my wife transferred school districts we lost cheap daycare and the price doubled so I need to have a low car payment. I still really like the way the 4g looks, but as to the ride and handling my view's are negative due to the accident.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:13 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by forgonburic
The only damage that I know of is both doors on the driver side had been replaced. There was also lots of glass on the inside of the car in every nook and cranny as possible. The car was a personal use vehicle from the dealer, so they new about the damage, just decided to fix it under the table and hope I wouldn't notice. I know the TL's interior is an upgrade over the TSX but I really like the TSX SE interior. I can't commit on a new TL, but the one I had was not as smooth of a ride or as quite on the inside as my TSX. This is more than likely due to the accident, but as that is the only 1 I have driven that's what I compare it to. As to not being able to afford the TL, I could afford any Acura model. I was looking at the Lexus GS350 F-Sport, but when my wife transferred school districts we lost cheap daycare and the price doubled so I need to have a low car payment. I still really like the way the 4g looks, but as to the ride and handling my view's are negative due to the accident.
I'm pretty sure this is illegal. You could have had this dealer over a barrel.

The TSX is a very nice car and if it meets your needs and you like it better and at a lower price point than a TL, than I'd say it is by definition superior to the TL for your needs.
forgonburic (08-11-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Sometimes you just get a hold of a bad one.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
sad to see you downgrade.. but this is the type of story that gives the 4g a bad name.. you bought a CPO that was wrecked.. this comes with the territory of buying a CPO.. you roll the dice on these things even tho it is Certified.. Most CPO are lease cars.. and people that get into accidents with lease cars almost never report it to insurance instead they pay out of pocket to fix so that it doesnt show on record.. Dealers usually dont inspect the car thoroughly before taking the lease back.

my 4g has been fine to me for 3.5 years.. i had some paint issues but nothing mechanical.. no roof rattle no squeaks, no blown speakers.. probably the only thing i had mechanically wrong was the rear headrest button got stuck.. yet i dont even consider that a major problem.
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'm pretty sure this is illegal. You could have had this dealer over a barrel.

The TSX is a very nice car and if it meets your needs and you like it better and at a lower price point than a TL, than I'd say it is by definition superior to the TL for your needs.
This is the type of thing that gives Acura dealers and Acura a bad rep. If you filed a complaint, I would be surprised if Acura HQ didn't take it seriously.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the deceit from the dealership on the damage. In my distant past, I had purchased a 1992 Honda Civic brand new, then realized that the dealership had replaced the hood without disclosure. Looking back, if I had been wiser, I should have noticed this, because the emission stickers and typical notices you see on the underside of the hood were all gone. Also, the VIN number sticker was not there. I suspect that the car probably had some front end damage (dealer fender bender?) that the dealer wanted to cover up. I can relate to the angst of being cheated.

I drove a 2013 TSX loaner car for a day, while my new 2013 TL was at the dealership (door edge film being installed). While the 2013 TSX is a peppy car, it reminds me a lot of an Integra (smaller tossable car, but not attempting any luxury or comfort). In other words, a sensible fun-to-drive car for a person just starting a family. Actually, the TSX Wagon is very appealing to me, but it coming only with a 4-cylinder automatic really disqualifies it from consideration.

Obviously, I bought the TL SH-AWD, so I prefer the TL's power, comfort, refinement, handling, and style. But, that's to be expect, since I'm obviously biased
Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
^people who are generally dicks either lack it or wants one in them...
I resemble that remark.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
[QUOTE][/QUO I could afford any Acura model. I was looking at the Lexus GS350 F-Sport, .......we lost cheap daycare ........so I need to have a low car payment.TE]

Seems to be a certain lack of logic here.
Not to mention comparing apples to watermelons....
Old 08-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Congrats on your new car.
forgonburic (08-11-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
:nopics:
Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Rocket_man
I did get the dealer to settle on a large enough sum to get me out of the car.

jim_c
We started this process back in December. We started to look at the Lexus around March and we just waited to finish with the dealer. However in July my wife accepted a new job that eliminated daycare, so the Lexus went out the window.

As for pics of the car I have not tried to attach pics yet, so we will try and see if it will work. First 2 are the TL and the last 2 are my new TSX.
Attached Thumbnails Traded in my TL for another TSX-6bd1bd172224c4405359a8157f1849e5x.jpg   Traded in my TL for another TSX-7a40208cfdab35a11196a66b3b478048x.jpg   Traded in my TL for another TSX-dsc00417.jpg   Traded in my TL for another TSX-dsc00421.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Def an UPGRADE
forgonburic (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
The TSX is a downgrade. I'm not really sure how you can look at it any other way given the big price gap. The few times that I have had one as a loaner, I've walked away the impression that anyone that buys one is only doing so because they can't afford a nicer Acura. It's a car for someone that wants the badge but not the cost.

If the dealer has you convinced that you're getting a great deal when you trade your cars in after only a year, I'm not sure that we're going to be able to convince you otherwise.
And some would say some one only buys an Acura because they can't afford a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus & such. It's this type of attitude that gives TL owners a bad rep. Thinking the're better because you paid more for a car. Who cares, we buy what we like. I recently upgraded my 04 tsx for a 2010 tsx with tech pacakge & couldn't be and happier!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Rdub81:
Acura_Dude (08-12-2013), bcleazy05 (08-12-2013), nj2pa2nc (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

I can more than afford a TL,RLX and even a Lexus, BMW or many of those higher priced cars. I can also pay cash for them. I chose a tsx because that is what I wanted. Do not need to impress anyone. It has fit my needs and has been a excellent car after 3 cross country roadtrips (42 states) and numerous other trips. Have had tsx, tl, mdx as loaner cars. Prefer manual transmission so was not overly impressed with any of them. Get what you like not what someone else does. You will be driving it.
The following 3 users liked this post by nj2pa2nc:
Acura_Dude (08-12-2013), Mercedes>BMW (08-12-2013), musty hustla (08-14-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
4G guys are coming off as incredibly snobby. Get off your high horses. If you are buying a new TL/TSX and care that much about badging then go buy a slightly used 3 series, or a more used Viper or 911. Some people do things with their life that benefit them that you may not agree with.

Get over it.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Rocket_man
I did get the dealer to settle on a large enough sum to get me out of the car.

jim_c
We started this process back in December. We started to look at the Lexus around March and we just waited to finish with the dealer. However in July my wife accepted a new job that eliminated daycare, so the Lexus went out the window.

As for pics of the car I have not tried to attach pics yet, so we will try and see if it will work. First 2 are the TL and the last 2 are my new TSX.
Looks sweet! Nice
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

I like where this thread is heading!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
UPGRADE mang!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:12 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I can more than afford a TL,RLX and even a Lexus, BMW or many of those higher priced cars. I can also pay cash for them. I chose a tsx because that is what I wanted. Do not need to impress anyone. It has fit my needs and has been a excellent car after 3 cross country roadtrips (42 states) and numerous other trips. Have had tsx, tl, mdx as loaner cars. Prefer manual transmission so was not overly impressed with any of them. Get what you like not what someone else does. You will be driving it.
^This. I like NJ2PA2NC's post. Her posts are always solid.
nj2pa2nc (08-24-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
I just came from a 3G TL to a 2G TSX and I really like the TSX. The 4G TL was just too big and, frankly, ugly as sin. It may be smoother and more refined, especially on the inside, but I just can't get past the outside. The new "refresh" of the TL does look better, but it still looks huge and lost that sporty flair the 3G had. The 2G TSX took the preverbal baton, and is holding it's own nicely, IMHO!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by opboarding
I like where this thread is heading!

I don't.......

If you guys don't clean it up here, multiple vacations will be handed out. Keep it clean. If it starts getting person, that's over the line.

Only warning all of you are going to get.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I don't.......

If you guys don't clean it up here, multiple vacations will be handed out. Keep it clean. If it starts getting person, that's over the line.

Only warning all of you are going to get.
who let the moderators into 2G TSX....

HELLLOOO? is anybody moderating in here?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

My post about liking where this thread is heading lacks depth now that the post above it was deleted.

I don't see anything worth while coming out of this thread. It should just be deleted all together.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
acurazine does not simply delete threads
Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Originally Posted by PyroDave
acurazine does not simply delete threads
Do they do it complexly?
ssjoeboe9 (08-14-2013)