TPMS issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TPMS issue

We just completed a trip to Florida and back from Virginia (2800 miles total) and I had a few issues with my TPMS. After travelling around 400 miles, my TPMS warning light came on, with a TPMS system error. I stopped to check my tire pressure and everything was good and after driving for about 50 mile, the light went off. It did this on and off all the way down and back. We have been back home since Tuesday and I have driven the car for short distances (25-30 miles) with no issues. I am thinking I have a bad sensor, but how do I identify the bad one or is there some other issue? On top of this, in Ga. they were doing road construction and I got pelted with gravel which cracked my windshield and put numerous on my hood. I had the windshield replaced which cost me $250 for my deductible and have an appointment with a body shop to have the hood repainted (which is covered under the same deductible. We had a wonderful trip and a fantastic cruise but this was not a good drive!
Thanks for any help!
Tony
Old 05-01-2017, 04:48 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
A "TPMS system error" message can be caused by a "low battery" condition of one (or more) of the sensors or RF interference. I have experienced both of these. The low battery condition needs to determined using a
TPMS tool TPMS tool
that can trigger the sensors. How old are the sensors? If they're more than 5 or 6 years old, then their battery can start to be depleted.

Most probably in your case, you may have experienced RD interference. Were you charging any cell phones at the time of the error message? Many chargers (specially small, aftermarket "high current" chargers) will emit RF signals that will interfere with the TPMS. Try unplugging all after market stuff from the car.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have had this couple of times only in long drive and it happens only when my wife and daughter is with me. It doesn't come on on short trips or if I'm riding alone. I also had radio static but when unplugging the usb charger it went away so I'm not sure why it only does if there is someone in the back using ipad/iphone....
Old 05-01-2017, 10:24 AM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
You might check the individual tire pressure readings on the display. If one of them is low then that is culprit.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks everyone! I believe TSXV6Guy may have hit this one on the head. Since it was a long trip, my wife and I both had our phone charging. We would stop numerous times for rest stops and I believe when we would start on our way, the TPMS light would come on. I am assuming this is because the chargers would start again when I started the engine. It never has happened to my memory when i did not have a phone charging. I will test this out on our next long drive!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by fbt
You might check the individual tire pressure readings on the display. If one of them is low then that is culprit.
Our car's TPMS display does not indicate a sensor "low battery" condition. It will instead turn on the generic "TMPS system error" and set a bunch of DTCs that can be read using a TPMS tool plugged to the car.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
I have this same issue and figured it was a battery because it would be worse in cold weather (the light would come on quicker and would not shut off). I had it checked out and two sensors are bad. I have not replaced them as of yet because the sensors are not cheap and I don't plan on keeping the car for much longer.