Topic Paper on Coilovers: Need some review

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Topic Paper on Coilovers: Need some review

Hey guys. I am currently writing a paper for a lay audience. A lay audience is an audience that does not know anything about the topic or is fairly new to the topic. I, myself am fairly new to the topic of coilovers but I will be introducing it in my paper. Can I get some feedback from you guys about information on coilovers and stuff like that? This will help me learn and get my paper revised at the same time =) Thanks! Please excuse this write up if you felt I wrote something wrong, I will correct instantaneously! I am planning to rewrite the introduction, make some headings and write up an conclusion. This is a business writing class btw. So then I have to introduce/sell a product and explain why coilovers are good. Tell me what you think.
-------------------------------------------

Slammed: The New Low
For most people, buying a brand new car is there for pure enjoyment. The car drives “just” right. It can ease into turns smoothly and power out of turns effortlessly. But for others, such as car enthusiasts, aftermarket modification is usually constantly running through their heads. Modifications such as brighter headlights, new and better looking bumpers, tires and rims are all feasible but not necessarily affordable. However, one of the most common aftermarket upgrades to a vehicle that can or may enhance one’s driving experience is the suspension. There are many suspension components in the vehicle, but one of the most frequent modifications added to the car is the coilover, which replaces the factory struts and springs located between the top of the bumper and the top of any wheel.
For starters, if one looks in between this gap, one will see a coil spring wrapped or “coiled over” a metal rod (otherwise known as strut). The coilover simply is composed of a strut and a spring; one coilover per wheelbase. The advantage coilovers have over factory tuned suspension is that coilovers can be adjusted. Say for example, a person would like feel a little bit of excitement with their everyday driving and so, decides to purchase coilovers. Well, after this person has purchased and installed these coilovers, this person now has options, whereas the factory suspension leaves a person with only one setting of the suspension.
The coilovers give the owner the options to adjust the vehicles ride height. It provides the owner with different height options ranging from stock (the way you purchased your car) up to sixteen different clicks. These clicks are different ride height adjustment. Each click determines how high or how low the vehicle is. For example, if one had coilovers installed and is currently at stock settings, the driver would have roughly about one and a half foot of ground clearance from the bumper to the ground; otherwise known as no clicks. However, if one decides to adjust the settings and increase clicks from stock to 10 clicks, the person has now lowered their vehicle to a nine inch ground clearance whereas stock would provide a one and a half foot ground clearance. Coilovers provide the vehicle with a steadier, stable, and lower center of gravity; having a lower center of gravity could prevent accidents such as rolling over, and in such cases, sharp or S-turns.
In addition to ride height adjustment, coilovers addresses stiffness settings. The stiffness settings allow a person to soften the suspension or tighten the suspension. To tighten the suspension means to compress the spring tighter together so that there is less spring movement. To soften up the suspension means to decompress the spring and allow the spring to utilize it’s full range of motion.
When the stiff suspension setting is applied, the spring is compressed so that the range of motion is split in half. A person may want to stiffen their suspension during a race. Stiffening the suspension allows the vehicle to “hug” the floor. Hugging the floor is due to a low center of gravity and it allows the car to stay close to the floor without the vehicle bounce up or down. However, to soften the suspension means to decompress the spring and give the vehicle full range of motion. This means that the vehicle has a higher center of gravity and the driver gets a more pleasant ride. Lets take the following into account, a car with stiff and soft settings both drive in a straight path. Suddenly, both cars run across a small, but noticeable pothole. The stiff setting car approaches the pothole and goes into it. When the wheel is in the pothole, the person driving the vehicle feels a significant “thump.” This “thump” is due to the fact that the springs are compressed and give the vehicle less range of motion, therefore keeping the car low to the ground. However, when the soft setting car approaches the pothole and goes into it, the car simply bounces up and down. This happens because the spring is uncompressed and is capable of its full range of motion.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliff notes?