Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Three new Acuras at Detroit?!

The ILX (new sub tsx perhaps?)
Redesigned RDX
and....NEXT NSX CONCEPT?

http://www.acuranews.com/channels/ac...onal-auto-show

Ahhhh that NSX better not be a fucking hybrid! I'm excited! Please tell me that Honda is going back to it's roots, and making fun to drive cars again like Toyota is....
Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
one can only hope
Old 12-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXKid2010
The ILX (new sub tsx perhaps?)
Redesigned RDX
and....NEXT NSX CONCEPT?

http://www.acuranews.com/channels/ac...onal-auto-show

Ahhhh that NSX better not be a fucking hybrid! I'm excited! Please tell me that Honda is going back to it's roots, and making fun to drive cars again like Toyota is....
The NSX concept is a hybrid. That's been confirmed by Jeff at Temple of VTEC, other members of the press and two sources I trust implicitly.

Hybrids can be very fun to drive. I'm guessing Acura is finally going to build the DN-X concept or something close to it!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
holllyyy shit

mid engined nsx rwd hybrid shit fuck

gonna look like iron man concept

balls dropping right now
Old 12-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Op is too busy to care

Acura gets serious, reveals gorgeous new NSX and a true "Smart Luxury" lineup
Date: December 12, 2011 01:25
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: TOV News
Credibility Rating: Not Specified

Following the raftload of information coming from Honda out of the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, Acura hosted a select group of media for an unprecedented Strategic Briefing Session in Las Vegas on Friday December 2, 2011. We were privileged enough to have been invited to this session. Going into the briefing, we were expecting to see the new concept for the "Super Sports" model that Acura and Honda have been developing, and also the "sub-TSX" model. Acura not only showed those to us, but they opened up even further on their future plans. I can say that for the first time in a long while, we came away from an Acura briefing feeling very optimistic about the future.

During this Strategic Briefing Session, Acura shared much of their product strategy going forward. "Smart Luxury" continues to be the mantra, but suddenly, in the context of the new vehicles in the pipeline it makes a lot more sense. The model strategy is centered around a 3-sedan lineup running in parallel with a dual-CUV offering. In contrast to the 3 current Acura sedans, the new lineup of sedans will (finally) have more clearly defined differences in size and class.

New Flagship (Legend?)- late 2012
At the top of the sedan lineup is an all-new flagship. Acura says it will define "smart luxury" because it will offer best in class rear legroom, but will be sized smaller on the outside to many of it's "flagship" competitors. Vicki Poponi, Assistant Vice President, Product Planning put it this way: "Think about 7-series cabin space, with the agility of a 5-series vehicle."

What we found notable was the fact that Acura referred to it as the "successor to the RL". We have heard for a few years that Acura might possibly be reviving the "Legend" nameplate with this model, but if that's what they are truly planning, there was no mention of it at this meeting.

Several images of this new flagship were projected on the screen during the meeting, and it bears a fairly strong resemblance to the current RL, but the styling is wrapped around what appears to be a scaled up package. It's a conservative and clean design, not offensive but not particularly striking, either. It looks a little more muscular than the current model, and the wheelbase appears to stretch a little longer within the length of the vehicle, which improves the overhangs somewhat, but there are still moderate overhangs at each end. The C-pillar is punctuated by a Hoffmeister kink, which may turn into a new family trait (see ILX below). One new design element that stood out was exhaust finishers that were integrated within the lower rear bumper.

The new flagship will feature the electric SH-AWD system that Honda announced a couple weeks ago, promising V8 performance and "better than inline-4 cylinder" fuel efficiency. Acura will be introducing this car at the 2012 New York Auto Show and it will hit showrooms later in 2012.

RDX - mid 2012
Acura also gave us a teaser of the next-generation RDX, showing several images of redesigned crossover, and also sharing some of the changes that are in store. Again, quoting Vicki Poponi: "The all-new RDX will have a V6 engine that delivers more hp than our current 4-cylinder turbo, yet, it's also much more fuel efficient, which addresses some of the factors that led customers really to pass on the RDX. We expect RDX to offer best-in-class fuel economy in this segment. The all-wheel-drive system is also new, replacing the SH-AWD with a lighter weight system that provides performance and the safety benefits that the customers really want, without really adding all the extra weight of that very heavy system, and also the cost which hit both the pocketbook of the customer and also the fuel economy."

From the photos we were shown, the RDX bears a much stronger resemblance to the MDX, which (in our humble opinion) is a good thing. The roofline now more closely matches the MDX, especially in the C-pillar area, and like the MDX, the greenhouse is rimmed with a thin strip of chrome. The front of the new RDX has a slightly bulkier look than the current RDX, and the "chinless" look is a thing of the past. Apart from the (toned down) power plenum grill, there is considerably less brightwork in the front of the RDX than the MDX - and the RDX's lower trapezoidal openings in the bumper also serve as the foglight openings. From the photos we saw, the rear of the vehicle has a bit more of a "flat" look, mostly due to the hatchback being pretty much flush with the rear bumper. Look for the new RDX in showrooms later this spring or early summer.

NSX (Concept)
Alongside the flagship, a new "super sports car" shares the role as the range topper for Acura. Acura didn't officially call it the NSX during their presentation, but everybody we spoke with following the presentation said it was indeed the NSX successor. I took that as good news. UPDATE: In their press release released this morning, Acura is calling it the "NSX Concept". Some text below is updated to reflect that.

Acura showed us the actual NSX Concept which will be revealed in Detroit next month. Unfortunately there was no photography allowed, but I can tell you that this will be one of the biggest reveals for Acura in recent history. Basically this is the car that was spied on the "Avengers" set late in the Summer, but it's clearly been further developed and it's also in hard-top form. Finished in a sliver paint, the concept is absolutely stunning, and carries on the NSX tradition of a mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout. The design is muscular, futuristic, and sharp, and vaguely similar to the Audi R8.

Compared to the "Avengers" car, the front end on this concept actually has working LED headlights - there are 5 "squircle" projectors embedded within each headlight housing. The rear bumper is also virtually identical to the "Avengers" car but with a real roof and backlight and more "production-looking" taillights, the overall visage is considerably different. Like the "flagship", the exhaust finishers are integrated into the bumper. A really cool (but not necessarily original) styling element is the "flying buttress" C-pillars. The C-pillars feature a "pass-through" which appears to be designed to channel air smoothly around the cockpit and over the rear of the vehicle. It's like an elongated version of the flying buttress seen on the Ferrari 599 - the NSX has a much faster angle on the backlight, which naturally lengthens the C-pillar. The gap between the C-pillar and the glass is fairly narrow, however. For the record, this concept wore Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in 255/35ZR19 size up front, and 275/30ZR20s in the rear.

Acura wouldn't tell us anything about the engine or powertrain, but off the record they were quick to tell us that the announced Electric SH-AWD system with 3.5L DI V6 was clearly not potent enough for this car. It should be noted that THAT powertrain, with its 7-speed dual clutch gearbox and 3 electric motors, develops a peak output in the neighborhood of 400hp. Obviously with the MR layout, Honda has to engineer a very specific setup for this car, and we're assuming it will essentially be a reversed layout compared to the FF-oriented design which was revealed previously.

We are hopeful that it will receive a very special high output, high revving gasoline engine that is fitting of the NSX heritage, while leveraging the electric motors and onboard battery to deliver on the "smart luxury" promise of excellent fuel economy.

Acura ILX (long-rumored "Sub-TSX" model)
It feels like it's been an eternity since we first heard about it, but Acura finally revealed this long-rumored "Sub-TSX" model. First, Acura projected some photos of the ILX up on the screen and to be honest, it really didn't look that great in photos. It's a good thing they eventually showed us the car in the sheetmetal because it looks much better in person. The key design element that stood out to me was a pronounced crease starting in the doors and curving up over the rear wheelwell. I'm assuming it was intended to lend the car an image of strength, but I felt that it comes across as a little bit overdone. Also notable (and possibly a little overdone) is a Hoffmeister kink in the C-pillar. Otherwise, it's a good looking vehicle, with finishing details that give it a nice European (yeah, mostly Audi) look and feel. The ILX features a relatively long nose and a stubby rear deck and a high beltline. The front doors are fairly long - almost like a coupe, while the rear doors appear considerably shorter. The taillights are clearly Acura shapes, but for some reason when I was looking at the rear of the car I kept getting a little bit of an Audi A5 vibe. The general proportions probably reminded me most of the previous generation Mazda 3. The prototype had appropriately sized wheels which filled up the fenderwells very nicely. While our assumption is that this car is based upon the Civic platform, Acura never mentioned it, and from the styling and proportions there is essentially no hint that this car is related to the Civic. Acura announced the basic powertrain specs, confirming the rumors that it would be offered in hybrid form (1.5L IMA). Additionally, for those seeking an automatic transmission, the ILX will be offered in a 2.0L 4-cyl flavor (for now we're operating on the assumption that the engine will be an R20), and for the more sporting-minded, a 6-speed manual will be offered, paired with a 2.4L 4-cylinder. Beyond these basic specs, Acura would not comment on power levels or anything of that nature. We're expecting this car to hit showrooms in late spring or early summer of 2012.

Future of the TSX
There have been rumors that the TSX would be going away once the ILX is introduced. And depending upon how you look at it, those rumors could be considered true. Now that Acura has stated the "clearly defined" 3-sedan strategy, one of the 4 models has to go. While it wasn't directly confirmed that the TSX would be eliminated, we were told that something would obviously be slotted somewhere in-between the new ILX and "flagship" sedan. Will it be the TSX or the TL? It seems like it will come down to semantics, as whichever vehicle eventually fills that middle slot will be something different from both current TL and TSX models.

Acura has been getting beat up online (here, and elsewhere) for quite some time, and for now it seems like their response is measured and strong. If they follow through on their plans and deliver on their promises, the future of Acura appears much less cloudy than it did even a month ago.

Last edited by Jeff on December 12, 2011 01:59
Old 12-12-2011, 06:15 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
A few pics of the NSX concept used in the new Avengers movie:

Old 12-12-2011, 08:28 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
So it is the Avengers car that's the NSX and looks like the spy pics from earlier are the new ILX...shit...do I want to wait half a year for it to come out...

when it says "hit showrooms in late spring early summer" does that mean it'll be for sale or just on display for later that year??
Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
2013/2014 will be, finally, an exciting time to shop for an Acura.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstak
looks like the spy pics from earlier are the new ILX...shit...do I want to wait half a year for it to come out...

when it says "hit showrooms in late spring early summer" does that mean it'll be for sale or just on display for later that year??
The TSX has generally been available for sale around June/July. The first day of summer 2012 is June 20, so anytime before August could be referred to as "early summer".
Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
I'm guessing April or May. The 2009 TSX was available in April of 2008. I bought mine May of 2008.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
I hope they would keep TSX and get rid of RL which I really like but not as much as TSX lol
Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Op is too busy to care

TSX is gonna die. Sorry folks =(

enjoy your limited editions
Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

TL + TSX = new mid range = TLX. would watch with the ILX nomenclature. I HAVE SOLVED THE PUZZLE!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Op is too busy to care

"i have predicted what many have already speculated. all hail me, captain obvious"
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM
CU2-Fred

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It's about time Acura's bringing back the NSX. Could be my future car in my garage. :P
Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
2013-2014 I won't mind, TSX almost paid off by then muhahahaha

ILX sounds like a really bad 90's boy band tho...
Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Racer

I'm waiting for the new 2015 Acura SE-X

RL= refined luxury
TL= touring luxury
RSX= rally sport cross
TSX= touring sport cross
MDX= multi dimensional cross trainer
RDX= rally dimensional? cross trainer
NSX= New Sportscar eXperimental

ILX= Intelligent Luxury Cross? especially if it's the hybrid to compete with the CT200h
Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Op is too busy to care

i think theyve moved past trying to name the acronyms and are just going with whatevers letters sound edgy together.

ILX, TLX, RLX, NSX, RDX, MDX... new lineup?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Racer

There is always some logic behind the naming. Oh, and I forgot a few:

SLX= sport luxury cross?
ZDX= zenith dimensional cross (shouldn't that be "zero")
CSX= compact sport cross
Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So when will the new ILX tab in the forum be created?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
The article's author correctly observes that whether the new "tweener" model is a TSX or TL is largely semantics, but I bet it will more resemble the current TL: V6, SH-AWD, and based on the U.S. Accord platform for production in North America. I'd rather have a beefed up TSX, with more powerful engine, SH-AWD, and more substantial interior, but I'm not betting on it.

Meanwhile, I'm very curious about the ILX. I could live with something smaller than my 2010 TSX if it's still family-friendly and has better performance.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
The article's author correctly observes that whether the new "tweener" model is a TSX or TL is largely semantics, but I bet it will more resemble the current TL: V6, SH-AWD, and based on the U.S. Accord platform for production in North America. I'd rather have a beefed up TSX, with more powerful engine, SH-AWD, and more substantial interior, but I'm not betting on it.

Meanwhile, I'm very curious about the ILX. I could live with something smaller than my 2010 TSX if it's still family-friendly and has better performance.
With Acrua's goal of being the most fuel efficient mid-luxury brand I seriously dounbt this will be the case. They will work thier new eco engines in the TSX-TL 'hybrid' and like the RDX the SH-AWD will probably go away. Too much weight and power losses. But if you assume the TL will still be based on the US Accord it will stay the same size, they may just have a few different versions of it. I'd like to see them add a folding rear seat for better storage, reduce the cost a bit and I'd be interested. I'm not sure I'd want to go backwards to an ILX.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
With Acrua's goal of being the most fuel efficient mid-luxury brand I seriously dounbt this will be the case. They will work thier new eco engines in the TSX-TL 'hybrid' and like the RDX the SH-AWD will probably go away. Too much weight and power losses. But if you assume the TL will still be based on the US Accord it will stay the same size, they may just have a few different versions of it. I'd like to see them add a folding rear seat for better storage, reduce the cost a bit and I'd be interested. I'm not sure I'd want to go backwards to an ILX.
+1

I also believe the new chassis platforms for the TL and Accord will be smaller in size due to the new CAFE standards. The easiest way to get more mileage is cut weight. Easiest way to cut weight is to make things smaller. The only loophole is that manufactures can also build bigger and have the vehicles classified as a light truck or van so it can fall into a less stringent CAFE category. *cough* ZDX, Crosstour *cough*

I don't believe that they will cut some form of AWD out of the TL though. The TL is Acura's "cash crop". If it wants to compete against the Lexus IS or BMW 3 series, Infiniti G, some form of AWD will be required as all those models have AWD options. Maybe it will have a dumbed down version of SH-AWD (Real Time AWD) as found in the new CRV or have the new hybrid version of SH-AWD. Both should be much lighter than the current SH-AWD system. I'm sure it will have the new direct injection V6 but mated to the 6 spd auto for the FWD or the 7 spd dual clutch in the AWD. Bye bye manual... Acura did listen to the customers when they brought out the current TL SH-AWD with the 6 speed, but I believe it was a sales flop. All the internet fanboys wanted it, but when Acura made it, no one wanted to get out of thier parents basements and step up to the plate.

My other prediction as stated before is that the TSX is a global vehicle that Acura has just badge/sheild engineered. The current US Accord for the last couple generations is known as the Honda Inspire in Japan. I believe the next Accord will be truly a global vehicle and the Accord in Japan/Austraila/Europe will be the same as the Accord in the US. Of course they'll probably have a top of the line EX-L V6 Navi option so customers can deck it out to almost Acura status minus the badges. The new TL should be similar in size as the next gen Accord and probably use the same platform. One example is the current Accord coupe. The current Accord coupe is slightly shorter than the TSX, but they share the same platform.

Last edited by thunderbt3; 12-14-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I know there has been rumors/speculation that the TSX will get killed off, simply because Acura states they want to have a 3 sedan line-up. But what if the TSX was turned into a coupe? Acura CLEARLY needs a coupe in the line-up, and there have been rumors for years that the TSX would get a coupe version. This would be a great way to put out a coupe, plus consumers are already familiar with the TSX, which would probably be easier to put out than an all-new model. Another reason why I doubt they will kill the TSX is because they just introduced the TSX wagon last year. Why would they bring out the wagon, only to kill it? Makes no sense whatsoever. The TSX is Acura's second highest selling vehicle, so why kill one of your best sellers simply to shorten the line up? If sales are the reason to kill a model then the RL should be the one to go, not the TSX. But then again, Acura killed the RSX, which was a very popular vehicle, so go figure!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
+1

I also believe the new chassis platforms for the TL and Accord will be smaller in size due to the new CAFE standards. The easiest way to get more mileage is cut weight. Easiest way to cut weight is to make things smaller. The only loophole is that manufactures can also build bigger and have the vehicles classified as a light truck or van so it can fall into a less stringent CAFE category. *cough* ZDX, Crosstour *cough*

I don't believe that they will cut some form of AWD out of the TL though. The TL is Acura's "cash crop". If it wants to compete against the Lexus IS or BMW 3 series, Infiniti G, some form of AWD will be required as all those models have AWD options. Maybe it will have a dumbed down version of SH-AWD (Real Time AWD) as found in the new CRV or have the new hybrid version of SH-AWD. Both should be much lighter than the current SH-AWD system. I'm sure it will have the new direct injection V6 but mated to the 6 spd auto for the FWD or the 7 spd dual clutch in the AWD. Bye bye manual... Acura did listen to the customers when they brought out the current TL SH-AWD with the 6 speed, but I believe it was a sales flop. All the internet fanboys wanted it, but when Acura made it, no one wanted to get out of thier parents basements and step up to the plate.

My other prediction as stated before is that the TSX is a global vehicle that Acura has just badge/sheild engineered. The current US Accord for the last couple generations is known as the Honda Inspire in Japan. I believe the next Accord will be truly a global vehicle and the Accord in Japan/Austraila/Europe will be the same as the Accord in the US. Of course they'll probably have a top of the line EX-L V6 Navi option so customers can deck it out to almost Acura status minus the badges. The new TL should be similar in size as the next gen Accord and probably use the same platform. One example is the current Accord coupe. The current Accord coupe is slightly shorter than the TSX, but they share the same platform.
Current Accord coupe is not shorter than TSX.
Accord Coupe is 190 inch vehicle. TSX is 185.1inch. New Accord cannot be smaller than current Camry & VW Passat. Global Platform does not apply to US.
In EU. Toyota is using Toyota Avensis. A car smaller than Camry as family car. and they are not going to combine the two.

You cannot combine ES & IS competitor into same platform.

Look this pix.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

The TSX is shorter than the accord coupe? would have never guessed lololol.

It'll be interesting to see how Acura will play their cards. Depends on how they handle this "comeback" whether or not another Acura will be in my (relatively far away) future.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
Im also really interesting where Acura is going with the new lineup (why getting rid of TSX one of the best selling Acura)
As of now im not really excited but hopefully I can say that they made right decisions in near future
Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Supposedly, Acura confirmed that the TSX will officially be dropped and replaced by the ILX that will go on sale in the spring.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

I think that they might just be dropping the seden and "TSX" will become synonymous with "Sport Wagon"
Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

i always thought the 8th gen accord is larger than the tsx?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Acura is hoping the new ILX will bring in a lot more sales. They want to sell 40,000 units a year. That is more than the TSX, but at a lower price point. The ILX might be a candiate for a coupe, but so would a US-accord based TSX-TL hybrid. The current TSX based on the JDM accord is going away no doubt, it is just not cost-effective to import that car for such modest sales. Even if it is Acura's #2 seller, overall it is a niche product for Honda. They want a car that can be produced in the US and since the ILX will be taking the place of the small sedan, the larger sedan is likely to be based on the US Accord platform and made in the US. I think they will need a low-end version to help close the gap between it and the ILX. Let's face it, how much can they charge for a car based on the Civic? $25K fully loaded? A basic TL starts $10K higher and goes $20K higher. So hopefully they can close this gap but I'm not sure how they do that and keep the value of the car at the higher end. I will miss the TSX. I was hoping the 3G would be my next car. We'll have to see how this all works out.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Op is too busy to care

^ will probably come in around 27 and fight that itty bitty buick

side note: cadillac said their new ATS is getting a 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo good for 270hp. Wtf. I want that. High power 4 cylinder + honda chassis/handling in a small package... mmm...
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
As long as it isn't another re-wrapped version of the Canadian CivicSX... reports are saying it'll be more of an RSX type vehicle, which is a better place to start.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 AM
SEEYOU2CREW

RSX with 4 doors =/= RSX.
Just like Hybrid Front engined AWD NSX =/= NSX.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Is this what the ilx will look like or is this what's offered in Canadia right now?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison
Is this what the ilx will look like or is this what's offered in Canadia right now?

This is what the current Canadian CSX looks like. It is to be discontinued in 2012, I heard.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

that looks like sht.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
ew.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I really hope they keep the TSX.. Sad day for us TSX owners if not.. It's a disgrace if they do this! I have read conflicting reports though.. some say it may be a companion to the TSX, but others say it's meant to replace it and start at under 25K pricing.. idk

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...2013-acura-ilx

oh and not built in Japan anymore.. what a shame.

The TSX is a great car because of the fact that it's built in Japan. It has much more reliability than any other Acuras for that reason alone.

Quick Reply: Three new Acuras at Detroit?!