Thinking about buying a 2012 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying a 2012 TSX

Hi Ya'll, looking for your unbiased advice. My fiance needs a new car and likes the TSX. She is going to be driving around 300 miles/week for work and wants a relatively small sedan that is good in Chicago winters, gets decent gas mileage and is reliable. Two local dealers told us they would sell a new 2012 TSX (base) for $27,800 after destination charge with all season mats. One of the 2 dealers puts some type of clear coat sealer and door edge film/stickers on all of their cars so I am leaning towards purchasing from them. To me this sounds like a great price, considering invoice with destination is around $28,800. Oh, and Acura is offering .9% financing for 60 months currently, which is why we are leaning towards a new TSX, rather than, say a used Lexus IS 250 AWD with around 30k miles for around $23k. What are your thoughts on...

1.) Handling/safety in snow
2.) Comparison to other cars
3.) Price

Thanks in advance!!! (Acura pun intended)
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Im about 90 miles south of Chicago and the TSX is just OK in the snow if you asked me. I never got stuck last year (one of the worst winters in a long time) but there were plenty of times I wish I still had 4 wheel drive. I guess it is important to note that I drove with the stock 17's and all season tires.

As far as gas mileage and reliability goes the TSX is a great pick.

If you already looked at a used Lexus IS 250 AWD then I imagine you considered the Mercedes C230 4matic and the BMW 325xi.

What about a new Suburu impreza? Not as handsome as the TSX IMO but probably a more capable car for Chicago winters.
The following users liked this post:
rvalentino (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I haven't driven the tsx in the snow, but I've driven a fwd car with the same size tires in the snow and can tell you that changing to dedicated winter tires will make driving a breeze. Otherwise, just be cautious and you'll be fine.

The comparison versus other cars should factor in price. Because, for the price, you cannot find a better car imo. And the deal is even better if you qualify for the .9% financing. It's a great car and you can't find anything with comparable luxury and comfort at that price point. The i4 is sufficient for dd use, not fast, but not slow and feels torquey enough.

I say go for it

Btw, I hate their tagline. Ssssooooo generic and can fit the positioning of almost any company. It also doesn't tell you much. For example, bmw is all about the ultimate driving machine...that says a lot more. Or Audi, truth in engineering.
The following users liked this post:
rvalentino (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a pretty good deal IMO. Either that or I overpaid!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
This is very good deal
I take TSX over IS because
a) looks better
b) gas mileage and reliability
c) better standard equipment
Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
I haven't driven the tsx in the snow, but I've driven a fwd car with the same size tires in the snow and can tell you that changing to dedicated winter tires will make driving a breeze. Otherwise, just be cautious and you'll be fine.

The comparison versus other cars should factor in price. Because, for the price, you cannot find a better car imo. And the deal is even better if you qualify for the .9% financing. It's a great car and you can't find anything with comparable luxury and comfort at that price point. The i4 is sufficient for dd use, not fast, but not slow and feels torquey enough.

I say go for it

Btw, I hate their tagline. Ssssooooo generic and can fit the positioning of almost any company. It also doesn't tell you much. For example, bmw is all about the ultimate driving machine...that says a lot more. Or Audi, truth in engineering.
I agree, for the price there probably is no car more well-rounded than the TSX. I just wish they offered it in AWD. And yes, the tag line "Advance" is quite generic, but tag lines never really swayed my opinion much anyways.

Originally Posted by Terdbath
Im about 90 miles south of Chicago and the TSX is just OK in the snow if you asked me. I never got stuck last year (one of the worst winters in a long time) but there were plenty of times I wish I still had 4 wheel drive. I guess it is important to note that I drove with the stock 17's and all season tires.

As far as gas mileage and reliability goes the TSX is a great pick.

If you already looked at a used Lexus IS 250 AWD then I imagine you considered the Mercedes C230 4matic and the BMW 325xi.

What about a new Suburu impreza? Not as handsome as the TSX IMO but probably a more capable car for Chicago winters.
We test drove a C300 4matic that had 38k miles and was certified, the lowest they would go was $25k. After factoring in financing and the fact that it's already got 38k miles compared to a new TSX for about the same price, the TSX looks better. I suppose the C230 4matic would be a couple grand less and might be worth looking at. We also priced a couple 325xi's and 328xi's, but the more I read about German reliability the less I want a German car and the more I want her to get a TSX.

I actually own a 2011 Subaru Legacy and brought up the idea, but for her "Subaru's are ugly" and for the most part she is right (compared to TSX, IS 250, C300, etc...anyways), but that's not why I bought the Subaru. I bought it because it's got a great AWD system, gets good gas mileage and is affordable just to name a few.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced

Keep in mind too that the IS250 might as well be a Miata in terms of back seat room and shoulder room. The TSX has the same HP as the IS250, FWD instead of AWD, but real room for such a small package. The RWD packaging of the IS just ruins the livability of that car.

The TSX is the ultimate DD/commuter car. Great MPGs, not so fancy/expensive that you stress about it, but also a step above a loaded Accord EX or Camry XLE or Altima in terms of interior quality.

The only spoiler here is, (SERIOUSLY), the Suzuki Kizashi AWD. Waaaaaaay nicer car than it has any right to be. But service and parts are sketchy
Old 12-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Intermediate

I brought up the Kizashi to her. She is not crazy about it and would probably never buy anything less than an Acura or Infinity anyways. On Suzuki's website they have a direct comparison of my exact car (Subaru Legacy Limited 2.5) and the Kizashi AWD...and I must admit, the little Suz looks pretty good. Kind of impressed me, wouldn't mind test driving one for the hell of it.