Taupe interior no longer available on Manual Tran?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taupe interior no longer available on Manual Tran?

I've seen a bunch of pictures online with a Manual Tran 2009 TSX with Taupe Interior. I've always wanted a light gray interior on my car. I checked the Acura website and they only offer the black interior with Manual Transmission. WHAT A LETDOWN!

Is this a change from 2009?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, this is a change for 2010 where the manual is offered in limited colors and only with ebony interior. You can blame low sales of the stick.

I'm with you, I would only pick the Taupe interior so that limits my transmission and paint choices.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

No dealers in my area have any manual transmissions at the moment. If someone asked me, I'd say sales on Manuals are low because nobody has any on the lot!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^Chicken and Egg my friend, Chicken and Egg
Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I was very disappointed to learn ebony was the only interior with 6MT for 2010, but I bought it anyway, and have grown to like it a lot. The ebony isn't true black, but a very dark gray, so it isn't as gloomy as black interiors. It lacks the airy ambience of my old 2001 Saab with tan interior, but I'm still digging it.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Auto Tran solely so that I can get the Taupe Interior. I want to get a Manual Tran but don't really want an Ebony interior. The Ebony is so dark. It looks black. How did you learn it is a dark gray?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by minal
I'm trying to decide whether to get the Auto Tran solely so that I can get the Taupe Interior. I want to get a Manual Tran but don't really want an Ebony interior. The Ebony is so dark. It looks black. How did you learn it is a dark gray?
Because I have it, and when you put something black next to it, the difference is obvious. It is very dark gray, not far from black, but it's not black. A truly black interior feels darker, like the one in my old 1995 Jetta GLX.

For me, the manual transmission was the core requirement, so I just bit the bullet on the interior. As I said, I've grown to like it, and it's especially nice with the Polished Metal Metallic exterior. They're a great match.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Racer

Honestly the ebony color is not just one dark color. My seats have a slight brown color to them as does the sides of the center console, but the dash and other plastic parts are more just gray. Its certainly not true black.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

After getting to drive the 6-speed manual Tran I've decided to drop the Taupe requirement The engine is so much quieter with the manual and the car's responsiveness is greatly improved. Almost like driving a different engine.

There really isn't much comparison between the AT and MT with the 4cyl TSX. The MT is far superior. What a beautiful transmission they put on that car.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 AM
D

I think it's unfortunate that manuals are becoming more of a collector's item or only for enthusiasts. I strongly believe if you can't drive a manual then you don't know how to drive. Haha.

I agree; the manual TSX is FAR superior.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Draconis77
I think it's unfortunate that manuals are becoming more of a collector's item or only for enthusiasts. I strongly believe if you can't drive a manual then you don't know how to drive. Haha.

I agree; the manual TSX is FAR superior.
I will have to agree with you. I originally planned to trade my 06 tsx with the 2010 until I found out no red was offered with MT. It was bad enough they did away with the Milano red but then only offer the basque red with AT. Decided to keep my 06 longer.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

Smile Prospective buyer of TSX

I am planning to buy a TSX and I found thread here useful in explaining why I am having trouble buying a manual 6-speed with an interior other than ebony/dark grey. When my wife get's home home I will have to disappoint her with this news. Just to make sure I assume this is across the board for the 2009 model (which I am inclined to buy). Is it also true for the 2008 model, which I had considered.

Any advice is welcome.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
This is the very reason I have been holding onto my 08 TSX, rather than getting into an 11. Acura has severely limited exterior colors, and reduced the interior color to black. (It just did the same for the 12 TL...)

Acura Marketing has done a terrible job promoting the joys of one of the few MT sedans left. Virtually no photos in the catalog or on the web site. Almost no mention of it all in collateral, despite all of the good press the MT with I4 gets from the auto media.

I wish Acura would make the MT a special order option -- as long as you could order in the colorway you wanted.

For it to go with so many color and interior choices for the 1st gen MT, and then such a limited choice for the 2nd gen, is shameful for a car company that positions the vehicle as a sports sedan.

It is cheapening the car in so many ways...
Old 04-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I too am a fan of manuals and it's all I drive. But you guys have to realize that Acura is running a business, so there has to be a business case for manuals in all the color options. The sad fact is that the take rate for the manual TSX is around 3%. Among all cars sold in the U.S., the take rate is just 10%. I'm afraid manual trannies in cars are going to go the way of roll-up windows. Thanks America!

Soon only sporty enthusiast vehicles will offer them like Mustangs, Porsches, etc. Even that's not always the case - I think Lamborghini only offers automated manuals with paddle shifters and no third pedal now. I'm predicting in the future that setup will be the closest you can get to a true manual tranny in most cars. It's sad, but the truth with automated manuals outperforming pure manuals and many automatics now getting better gas mileage than manual versions of the same car (TSX is a case in point), the stick shift is gradually heading towards obsolescence. But in a car with limited HP, torque, and no automated manual option like the I4 TSX, it's a must-have. If offered with only an auto tranny the TSX I4 would be a no-buy for me. They take what...8.5 seconds 0-60? That's subcompact economy car numbers for $30k plus. Hell no.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
The take rate for manual transmission in Canada is pretty low also, so Acura dropped it altogether from the Tech model in 2011, and offer it on Base model (cloth seat/no HID/no XM or USB/no fogs) and Premium (same as US Base).