Symbol Maintenance Items

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Symbol Maintenance Items

Greetings from Europe.

Here Acura TSX is called Honda Accord.
Even though some specs are different and could vary by the model and year the basic principles are the same. I have a question regarding reseting the schedule on maintenance screen.

Symbol maintenance item:

4 Replace fuel filter every 120,000 km OR 6 years (whichever comes first)
Inspect idle speed every 120,000 km OR 6 years (whichever comes first)
Replace spark plugs every 120,000 km

Here is the deal. My car has 67,000 km but is almost 7 years old. None of these above has been changed yet.

1. If I change the fuel filter and the spark plugs now it will mess up the schedule. And when the car gets 120,000 km I will get the lights on it is time to change.
2. If something is not due to be changed now I can't simply reset it since there is no way to my knowledge I could call symbol 4 on the screen.
3. I was told Honda programmed the schedule reminder only on certain kilometers/miles but not on the years. So for people like me who do not drive a lot (I drive 4000 km a year) there is no way for the car "to know" things are for change.

What should I do in this sutiation?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
In your situation, you're going to have to ignore the maintenance minder as you are correct, it goes by miles, and not years. You need to do the maintenance that is due based upon the years instead, which won't be reflected in the minder. If I were you, I would keep paper copies of all maintenance done that is outside of the minder's recommendation.

It doesn't matter that the car doesn't "know" what maintenance was actually done, as long as you have a record of it being done.

Also, if you reset the maintenance minder prior to it popping up telling you what service is needed, it will only reset the maintenance that is due up next based upon the mileage. So, if the fuel filter and spark plugs aren't due next based upon your mileage, then it will not reset those items if you do it based upon the years.

That make sense?

My wife's Honda van is in the same situation, as she drives less than 6,000 miles a year. I have to do oil changes and other maintenance once a year, which is less than the miles used for oil changes for the minder. When I reset the minder, it tells you what else would have been due if the minder popped up based upon the mileage she has not driven yet. The longer it goes, the more useless the minder gets, as in your situation the minder falls way behind.