Saw the 2009 TSX, my impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Saw the 2009 TSX, my impressions

I wasn't able to take the car for a drive, but I was fairly impressed with the interior quality and the design of the vehicle.

The grill really isn't as hideous as some describe on this forum. The truly looks better in person than online.

The recessed navigation design (with the knob) is superior to the touchscreen design, but that's just my opinion.

I took quite a few pictures of the TSX, and you can view them here:

Photos

If you want the full-sized version of any picture, please PM me and I can send it to you.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
I wasn't able to take the car for a drive, but I was fairly impressed with the interior quality and the design of the vehicle.

The grill really isn't as hideous as some describe on this forum. The truly looks better in person than online.

The recessed navigation design (with the knob) is superior to the touchscreen design, but that's just my opinion.

I took quite a few pictures of the TSX, and you can view them here:

Photos

If you want the full-sized version of any picture, please PM me and I can send it to you.
same observations i had when i test drove the 09 TSX with tech.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Racer

i noticed the new interior does not have chrome door handles.

which is disappointing since i was already disappointed with chrome door handles (seeing as accord EX v6s have real metal coated handles and so do bmw e90s while the 1st gen TSX has chrome plastic, and the 2nd gen just has plain gray plastic like any econo box).

oddly there is excessive chrome on "the element".

i'd have to say that after looking at the TSX 2nd gen I see it sort of as the windows Vista of acuras.

I am a programmer so I guess thats how I' mlooking at it. Windows XP was good, and Vista is better in some ways and worse in others. overall i'd say they are comparable or possibly the 2nd gen is slightly worse, but by itself it is probably a good car. just relative to the first gen it doesnt seem like an upgrade. so i suppose that is why 1st gen owners like me hate it so much.

i'm pretty sure unless there is some new grill, new engine, etc for say the 2010 model i wont be buynig another acura when i decide to get a new car (which is probably next year when my 1st gen one is 4 years old, at the end of the warranty)
Old 04-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Race Director

mine's already done the warranty. so, if something does go wrong i'm trading or selling it.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I also saw the new TSX today. I was driving near the dealership so I just dropped by and saw a few brand new TSX on their lot. I must also admit that the grille is not as ugly as it seems from the NY Auto Show photos, though it still could be better. Surprisingly, the thing that bothered me the most was the rear light design. There were just way too many geometrical shapes present. Otherwise, overall it did look pretty decent. I particularly enjoy the Grigio (?) color - very nice indeed. I would love to have seen the maroony red color but they did not have one there. That dark silver color was nice too.

Now, I really am looking forward to seeing the new TL because even though this new TSX is not as bad as I thought, I am ready to move up to something nicer and more luxurious which this TSX is not.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Race Director

i thought you were going to look at the G35s or EX35 Ostrich?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:53 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Mokos23, I was, but I just happened to be in the area near the dealership, so I just stopped by to see what the new TSX was really like...

BTW, apart from the EX35, the new Audi A4 Avant looks really good too! I plan to get a new car in about 1.5 years from now, so hopefully there will be plenty of new choices by then! :-)
Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by hans007
i noticed the new interior does not have chrome door handles.

which is disappointing since i was already disappointed with chrome door handles (seeing as accord EX v6s have real metal coated handles and so do bmw e90s while the 1st gen TSX has chrome plastic, and the 2nd gen just has plain gray plastic like any econo box).

oddly there is excessive chrome on "the element".

i'd have to say that after looking at the TSX 2nd gen I see it sort of as the windows Vista of acuras.

I am a programmer so I guess thats how I' mlooking at it. Windows XP was good, and Vista is better in some ways and worse in others. overall i'd say they are comparable or possibly the 2nd gen is slightly worse, but by itself it is probably a good car. just relative to the first gen it doesnt seem like an upgrade. so i suppose that is why 1st gen owners like me hate it so much.

i'm pretty sure unless there is some new grill, new engine, etc for say the 2010 model i wont be buynig another acura when i decide to get a new car (which is probably next year when my 1st gen one is 4 years old, at the end of the warranty)
Don't you think you're making too much out of the interior door handle thing? In most areas concerning material quality/fitment, the 2nd-gen is a significant step up from the current TSX. Open/close the center armrest or any of the center console lids. In the current TSX they feel hollow and open/close with very unrefined motions, not so in the 2nd-gen. The leather also feels higher quality, the doors & trunk lid feel better constructed and close with more of a solid "thunk" sound. Sure, they saved some pennies with the cheapo interior door handles, but they still feel fairly stout when in use.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jwaters943
Don't you think you're making too much out of the interior door handle thing? In most areas concerning material quality/fitment, the 2nd-gen is a significant step up from the current TSX. Open/close the center armrest or any of the center console lids. In the current TSX they feel hollow and open/close with very unrefined motions, not so in the 2nd-gen. The leather also feels higher quality, the doors & trunk lid feel better constructed and close with more of a solid "thunk" sound. Sure, they saved some pennies with the cheapo interior door handles, but they still feel fairly stout when in use.

i think it just really stuck out for me as far as , the depremiuming of this car.

i suppose it is the entry level car now with no RSX. I'm just saying top of the line accords have real metal accents, 3 series has real metal accents, the g35 has real metal accents.

the inside of the new TSX is well put together no doubt, but its argueably got a worse interior than a new accord or even a last generation accord. thats pretty much inexcusable.

i didn't completely hate the car, i actually like the flared wheel arches, and the rear is more exciting than the current car, plus the seats felt like the might be slightly better than the current car. all the new electronics were very nice as well such as bluetooth, the usb port, and the XM features which I would actually use (my 05 has none of those things).

now i havent driven it yet, but its also well down on power . i am going to be at the dealer again on friday to get my 05s headlights inspected for some seal tsb so i am probably going to drive it. maybe itll drive great, who knows.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Pro

Regarding the door handles, even the $50k RL uses plastic interior door handles so I'm not so bothered with it in the $30k TSX. Also, I believe the Accord uses chromed plastic handles (not real metal). Acura seems to have made a concerted effort to remove all use of chrome from their car interiors. Brushed metal seems to be their "finish" of choice.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
The exaggerated wheel arches are one of my least favorite designs on the car. looks overdone, disrupts any flow to the car design, and makes the stock rims look even smaller.

Hardly anybody uses real chrome on metal on cars now, too heavy and adds weight.

My favorite thing about the TSX is size, 4 cyl. Cars are getting too big and gas hungry.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
The exaggerated wheel arches are one of my least favorite designs on the car. looks overdone, disrupts any flow to the car design, and makes the stock rims look even smaller.

Hardly anybody uses real chrome on metal on cars now, too heavy and adds weight.

My favorite thing about the TSX is size, 4 cyl. Cars are getting too big and gas hungry.
I agree. I hope it doesn't get any bigger if there is a 3G down the road. I do think they need to offer different power options, though, so the more power hungry buyers are also satisfied. Hopefully that will come soon with a V6. It will be interesting to see what the diesel is like, too.