Rust proofing/paint protection from Acura

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rust proofing/paint protection from Acura

Hi Guys, new here and my first post.

sorry if im posting in the wrong section but dunno where else to post this.

im debating if i should get hte rust proofing/fabric protection/paint protection from dealer for 1000$ cdn for everything. is this a good deal? is there some where else i should be lookin? and is there certain brands i should be looking at? thanks guys!

also same question if anyone knows in toronto canada where i can get a good place/price to get the venture invisabra installed

thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
$1000? I would run like hell the other way. Aside from the fact that it probably isn't very effective anyways, that money could buy you a repaint of all your lower panels that fall victim to rust if they do eventually.

I'd go for Krown rustproofing, a known brand, and as far as paint protection, wax will do the job. Best of luck!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Advanced

yeh charging 1000..... 900 if i go with the spray.. 1000 is with that new box technology that apparently puts a "force field" around ur car from rust.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
car is already rust proofed everywhere. No point. also the paint is fragile and any "simonize" they promise you won't work. paint will still chip and rusting will occur because now the " rust proofing" is not on the paint anymore cause there is no paint..

Waste of money hands down. How do I know? I did it .. Still rusted out in many places. However if you get under the vehicle ( which you should ask to see the car on the lift before you buy it any way and check the bottom for any damages or leaks even with new cars ) you will see a rhino liner type lining all over the bottom.. which is the rust proofing.. kk we win no money spent
Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced

ahh so basically f*uk the dealer and them trying to sell me protection... and before i take owner ship of the car ... ask them to put it on a lift so i can see the under carage before taking it. cool thx for the tip! saves me money and make it so i can spend money now i tint, 3m front bra =P
Old 09-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuDeEArJ8NQ#t=4m25s

As Tishkevich said, it is basically useless to get anything from the dealer because of paint chips that will cause rust later on.

I know from experience that Honda manufacturers dip the whole car in a rust proofing solution right after the car is welded and before it is painted. It looks similar to this video for a Mini Cooper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuDeEArJ8NQ#t=4m25s.

This effectively rust proofs the bodywork from the factory. But no matter what, if you get a chip down to the metal you will likely expect rust unless you countermeasure it before it has time.

Dealers just love to squeeze money out of you, and honestly it is where they try to make the most money off of you.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:14 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
i was well aware of this litle scheme before i chose to do it anyway for $700 USD. The ONLY reason was because it kind of acts as a warranty. The paint protection is good at first but after eight months I'm going to have to take it in to get either buffed or repainted because of shit embedded in the paint. im not talking claybar repairable stuff either. It doesn't work. But what it got me was the ability to walk in and say, hey, theres crap all over my paint that wont come off. and at their discretion they'll buff or repaint. and that goes with the interior too.

bottom line- the protection sucks but you get a decent warranty
Old 09-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Advanced

so with the paint protection you can request that? interesting....
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm... This warranty I've not seen honored too often. Too many clauses that cause it to be void etc. Like if you did anything to the car yourself detail wise.. voided. etc.. Stupid shit that just isn't worth the money. If you take care of your paint and pay attention to flaws. ( you typically know when you're getting peltered with rocks so just check when you get out the car ) ..

However in a perfect world yes the warranty is Ideal. However, aftermarket salesmen turnover is nearly monthly it's difficult to consult with someone who actually knows whats up with your car and is willing to go that extra mile to help you out.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Advanced

well right when i get my car off the lot im driving down the street to get a venture clearbra on the car. dealer wouldnt throw it in and it was like 500$ .. i got it for 290 down the street and they are doing more including mirros fendors and hood up to 14" of it
Old 09-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
My dealer tried to sell me the complete package from a place call Platinum Protection, it was C$1600. Their brochure indicate a box connecting to body of the car to prevent rusting, it's the same technology older gas stations used on their underground steel tank (low level electrical charge). But it's not offer on the TSX from the dealer despite what the brochure said.

My previous ride was a 90 Civic Si, I took it to a place call Ziebart for undercoat and rustproofing. The first rust spot only showed up on the rear fender after 15 years.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
My dealer tried to sell me the complete package from a place call Platinum Protection, it was C$1600. Their brochure indicate a box connecting to body of the car to prevent rusting, it's the same technology older gas stations used on their underground steel tank (low level electrical charge). But it's not offer on the TSX from the dealer despite what the brochure said.

My previous ride was a 90 Civic Si, I took it to a place call Ziebart for undercoat and rustproofing. The first rust spot only showed up on the rear fender after 15 years.
I believe Honda (and most auto mfg's) use galvanized steel on exterior steel body stampings, which will virtually eliminate all rusting (unless scratched/damaged).
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Give your car a regular wash will remove road grimes and other contaminants that can hasten corrosion in cars. This is especially true during winter months in areas that uses a lot of road salt.