Roof rack for 2 kayaks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011 | 06:01 PM
9th Gear

Roof rack for 2 kayaks?

Hi all-- new to rack systems and need some advice.

I'm in the us and I am looking to get a decent roof rack that can haul two kayaks on top of my TSX. I've looked into the regulars (Thule, Yakima) a bit but don't know the differences.

I'm not keen on having the rack on the car all the time, so I definitely want something relatively easy to take on and off (in like 5 minutes or so) and something that isn't going to scratch the car... Is this possible or am I dreaming?

I was also looking into the OEM rack, but I would have to order it from overseas. Even with shipping costs, it seems like it is a good deal ($350ish I think)... Right around the total cost for an aftermarket, and I think it looks a lot nicer since it doesn't seem to hang over the sides of the car. The only disadvantage I see with this is that when I trade the car, I have a rack that may not work anymore vs. an aftermarket which would just need a new fit kit.

Help! Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2011 | 10:23 PM
You see me, I CU2

Thule/Yakima are proven since the dawn of time, they might stick out or are not aesthetically pleasing but they serve a purpose and are very modular. As for the OEM rack (insert rack joke here) can't you sell it to TSX owners (ie. Acurazine) ?

Don't forget to stickerbomb the fairing for ultimate street cred
wait why is that in red font, I'm quite serious it does help with street cred. HellaFlush YO!
Old 07-11-2011 | 07:06 AM
Racer

I sold both Thule and Yakima during my 4.5 years in a local bike shop. Both are outstanding systems.
I'm not 100% familiar with how they attach to the TSX, but I can gaurantee that you aren't going to want to do it often. It's a series of towers, clamps and brackets that are likely to scratch your car if you continually install and remove. The first installation is relatively easy and meant to stay there.
As for the rack sticking out past the sides of your car. The crossbars are available in varying widths...from 48" on up. So you should be able to find a width that suites your fancy. If not...the bars can be cut with a hacksaw. I think you need to have about 2" sticking out beyond the towers on each side to keep its integrity.

If you really didn't want something that touches the car...then install a 1 1/4" hitch and purchase a dedicated canoe/kayak trailer. That's going to be the most expensive, but the easiest to use...aside from the extra length of car + trailer.

Enjoy!
Old 07-15-2011 | 09:11 PM
3rd Gear

i have a yakima on my tsx. it was on my 2006 civic before and just swapped it over.

went with yakima just because i found everything cheap on craigslist, ebay, amazon. nothing worng with thule but you can find more deals on yakima products. yakima uses 58'' round bars where as thule uses rectangular bars but offer a 50'' crossbar. i havent cut my crossbars but it as crossed my mind before.

i installed it once and have yet to take it off but i marked the inside of the door jams just incase i take it off. just small sharpie marks that might bother some but its the door jams and no one will really see it.