Question 2013 TSX with 65k-need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question 2013 TSX with 65k-need advice

Hi,

I am new here...I am looking into buying a used 2013 TSX w/ 65k miles on it. oil changes is all that was done and a recent brake job.
Passenger HID bulb Passenger HID bulb
is not working....current owner thinks bulb is out.

Are there any list of maintenance that I will need to do as soon as i get the car? Are there any issues that I should look for in the car before buying?

Is there a sticky thread that has a collection of all the things that I can refer to for the general parts and repair lists?

Thanks you for you help!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by footprintsinconc
Hi,

I am new here...I am looking into buying a used 2013 TSX w/ 65k miles on it. oil changes is all that was done and a recent brake job. Passenger HID bulb is not working....current owner thinks bulb is out.

Are there any list of maintenance that I will need to do as soon as i get the car? Are there any issues that I should look for in the car before buying?

Is there a sticky thread that has a collection of all the things that I can refer to for the general parts and repair lists?

Thanks you for you help!
You'll want a qualified mechanic to look at the car - it is way too early for an HID bulb to go belly up and it is a very unusual failure.

I'd check carefully for mods. If it were "just a bulb" then why doesn't the seller fix it before he puts it up for sale.

The car is generally bulletproof and at 60k+ miles should still drive like new - mine does at 50k and has had zero problems. In 13 years and several hundred thousand miles I have yet to have an HID bulb go out.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the headlight have any condensation build up inside? Make sure the headlight itself wasn't taken apart and doesn't have any loose seals...condensation build up or water intrusion can cause the lights to malfunction.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

thanks for the replies!

no condensation in the headlight....he took the car to carmax and i'd be paying approx. the trade-in value (carmax price rounded up).

never had a car with HID, but my HID that i installed in my morotorcycle has gone out twice and DDM has always sent me a replacement only after i sent in my kit for checking, only way for them to warranty the bulb (one way mailing cost). that is why i thought didn't think it going out is an issue.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Motorcycles can be rough on bulbs in general though so I wouldn't bank on that.

In a squishy, compliant, soft suspension car like the TSX (relatively speaking) I find it hard to believe that it should have a HID out at 65k.

I guess, maybe it's possible. But then why wouldn't the owner fix it?

Just doesn't add up to me. You might have dodged a bullet on that one.

You can find a clean example that'll do you much better.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
List of the times my car has been to the dealer since I bought it in 2010
1. Recall to update my ecu. Had something to do with burning oil. I never experienced it but had it done for peace of mind.
2. TBD

I did buy a new battery last year at an auto parts store.
I did have to replace the rear brake pads unusually early at 35,000 miles. This is a known issue on 2009 and some 2010 models.

My previous car (05 RL) had an HID go out right at around 55,000 if that eases your worry at all.