Putting an end to the rumors. Questions WILL be answered!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
STOPTECH says the brakes are the same. ROTORA says the brakes are different. STOPTECH lists a different part # for the BBK; I believe that is because the brake lines are different. The kit should bolt up but the line may not be right.

Originally Posted by whatarussh
Hey Darren,
Ok I'm still new to all of this so I apologize if this is a stupid question; but does the factory ABS still function if you install a BBK?

No matter what I'm certain this will look totally cool, I want document the process, see the pics etc.
Yes ABS still functions. ROTORA and STOPTECH BBK's are balanced brake upgrades that retain the original functions, unless otherwise specified (such as a rear race brake kit that eliminates the parking brake).
Old 10-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
STOPTECH says the brakes are the same. ROTORA says the brakes are different. STOPTECH lists a different part # for the BBK; I believe that is because the brake lines are different. The kit should bolt up but the line may not be right.
Well, guess we'll find out soon.

Do the SS lines that come with the kit have special fittings, or will the stock brake lines fit into the new calipers? Because if it's just an issue of length, I can pick up a different set of compatible SS lines later should the stock lines work in the meantime.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I just did some research and the stock front brake lines between the 1st gen and 2nd gen are definitely different part numbers, however the fittings are the same. So it's either a difference in the length or the bracket that secures it to the strut. So unless the 2009's brake lines are drastically shorter, which I highly doubt, I can get around the other issue no problem. Otherwise I'll just have to contact Rotora or source out a compatible brake line. Either way, I don't see it as a major hurdle.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
The lines should be somewhat of a non-issue.

What you want to look out for on the lines is not the outside of the fitting where it meets the stock hardline, but inside the fitting. The 1g TSX has a double-flare or bubble flare on the hardline. You want to compare the inside of the stock hose with the steel one and make sure they are concave the same where the hard line seats/seals.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
UPS tracking says the kit will be here tomorrow! Hopefully the brake fluid I ordered arrives by Friday so I can get it all installed this weekend.
It might not get there til Sat, in the mail. But the lugs are coming with it as well.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
It might not get there til Sat, in the mail. But the lugs are coming with it as well.
Damn, I'm hoping the fluid comes Friday because that's when my buddy is supposed to come over and help install the kit. Although there might be enough fluid in the resevior to bleed the system. Then I can just top it off Saturday when the fluid comes. Otherwise I'll just have to make a special trip to get some fluid ahead of time. No big deal either way I guess.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

The lines should be somewhat of a non-issue.

What you want to look out for on the lines is not the outside of the fitting where it meets the stock hardline, but inside the fitting. The 1g TSX has a double-flare or bubble flare on the hardline. You want to compare the inside of the stock hose with the steel one and make sure they are concave the same where the hard line seats/seals.
If the lines are indeed different and not compatible, how difficult do you think it would be to contact Rotora and get working lines?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Just a cell phone pic for now. Installing them tonight!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
cant wait to see them on!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

It all arrived today. I'm starting the install in about 1-1/2 hours. I'll be able to get my new lugs on now too!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
It all arrived today. I'm starting the install in about 1-1/2 hours. I'll be able to get my new lugs on now too!
Cant wait to see the pics. Going to look sick!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Well everybody, I'm happy to report that it was a complete success! Installed the kit last night and everything lined up and bolted up without any modifications or fitment issues. Even the brake lines which became a concern ended up fitting perfectly without a problem. The only issue we ended up having was removing the aligment screws on the stock rotor to get them off. We got 3 of the 4 of, but then the last one dedided to completely strip, so we had to use a screw exctractor to get it out. I'll be replacing all for of them with new ones though, hopefully they have stainless steel ones available because the stock ones rusted and being exposed to all that heat were locked in there pretty good. So that being said, it is confirmed that the 1st gen BBK's (at least the Rotora kit) are 100% compatible with the 2nd gen. However you will need aftermarket wheels with at least a +48 offset.

I didn't even bother to test fit the stock wheels because you'll soon see why in the pics below. This became my biggest concern after the install, I literally have 1mm clearance with my 19" RonJon Legends. There's no rubbing, but I'll be getting some 5mm spacers for peace of mind and to extend the gap a bit. We were shocked how close I ended up being to the wheels not fitting. A different wheel with the same offset might have more clearance or may not fit depending on design, but with spacers, an 18" or greater will certainly work.

So enough talk, onto what everyone wants to see, the pics...

Everything bolted up and mounted without any issues.

The incredibly close wheel clearance!

You might also notice my new Project KICs R26 Black Chrome lug nuts. I love 'em!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Darren. It's absolutely beautiful

You are right about the clearance though, talk about razor thin.

Again, Fantastic Job
Old 10-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
wow wow wow very nice. congrats on successfully accomplishing your goal. your car is once again one of a kind
Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like it, its pretty! :o) I didn't order Stoptech's myself because I don't like the front brake kit only look. Kinda looks out of place only having nice front brakes and stock backies. So I decided last month instead of ordering the stop's i'd wait till they came out with a all 4 set. at least a set of calipers for the back. But all in all I like the way your final product looks and I'm happy i got the +38 RJ legends i'll have plenty of clearance when I do brake down and buy the kit finally.

Thanks for showing us! looks solid
Old 10-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Looks AMAZING! im really considering these for my next upgrade. I know you have a +45 offset on your rims. Im trying to figure out if my rims would clear it since it has a +40 offset. How's is the stopping power?
Old 10-25-2009, 01:10 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:55 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
amazing. digging ur lug nuts too. more pics when ur spacers are on!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be able to pioneer more things in the future as well.

Originally Posted by kowloonsniperhk
How's is the stopping power?
Can't fully tell yet as I haven't really been able to drive it except around the neighborhood. By the time we finished installing them Friday night, it was midnight. So I just drove around the neighborhood making sure I could stop, only driving 15-20mph or so. But just from that I could tell that the brake pedal was engaging quicker and felt stiffer.

I would have done a full test Saturday but my wife and I had plans to head down to Myrtle Beach for the weekend so the car's still sitting at home. I won't be back from the beach until Monday. I've got to go through the break-in procedure yet but once I do that and drive around a bit this coming week I'll post how well they work in comparison to stock.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Looks AMAZING! im really considering these for my next upgrade. I know you have a +45 offset on your rims. Im trying to figure out if my rims would clear it since it has a +40 offset. How's is the stopping power?
you should be good with +40 no problems he has +48 btw

and drew I dont' think anyone noticed your lug nuts, but they're hot. I like em a lot worth the money most definitely
Old 10-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tishkevich
and drew I dont' think anyone noticed your lug nuts, but they're hot. I like em a lot worth the money most definitely
Thanks, I really like them too. Glad I decided to get them. Look a lot better than the OEM style non-locking chrome ones that I had before.

Name's Darren BTW, not Drew.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

dude, I called you darren in the past I don't know why I thought drew this time. my bad I saw that when I went over to the club forums I was like "aww fuck" o well When we meeting up for a photo shoot? :-P
Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow looks GREAT! look forward to the full road test report. 2 hours till Euro Sport Drop out here in CA.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tishkevich
dude, I called you darren in the past I don't know why I thought drew this time. my bad I saw that when I went over to the club forums I was like "aww fuck" o well When we meeting up for a photo shoot? :-P
When you decide to drive down to NC I guess.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

lol depends if you'll help me detail my car before we do it :-P
Old 10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be able to pioneer more things in the future as well.

Can't fully tell yet as I haven't really been able to drive it except around the neighborhood. By the time we finished installing them Friday night, it was midnight. So I just drove around the neighborhood making sure I could stop, only driving 15-20mph or so. But just from that I could tell that the brake pedal was engaging quicker and felt stiffer.

I would have done a full test Saturday but my wife and I had plans to head down to Myrtle Beach for the weekend so the car's still sitting at home. I won't be back from the beach until Monday. I've got to go through the break-in procedure yet but once I do that and drive around a bit this coming week I'll post how well they work in comparison to stock.
I remember breaking in my HAWK HPS pads for my 1G TSX. definitely was fun. Full brakes going 45mph. you could smell the brakes breaking in lol
Old 10-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow! looks soooo sexy. and holy shit at the wheel clearance!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Very nice, I'm the same color as the tree and the grass in your pics.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Darren, just want to clarify. Even after you put spacers in, there is not enough room/clearance for the stock 17" rim, 18" is the minimum for the BBK.

Nice lug nuts also, goes with the wheel nicely.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
Darren, just want to clarify. Even after you put spacers in, there is not enough room/clearance for the stock 17" rim, 18" is the minimum for the BBK.

Nice lug nuts also, goes with the wheel nicely.
I won't know whether the stock wheels will fit with spacers until I get some. Once I get some spacers, I will check. However it's certain that they will not fit without them.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Darren, the brakes look good. Any your car looks amazing with them! I am glad we had the chance to put enough peace of mind on your side to place the order and let us know this kit fits.

On the spacer, do not get more than a 3mm. 5mm is way too thick for your needs, and will only serve to reduce the amount of thread engagement you have on the lug studs.

Marcus
Old 10-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

We have now linked all 04-08 TSX kits to the 09 TSX products page:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=2511

We do expect that the fitment of this kit will be indicative of other kits for the same car
Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
SA-weeet!! Holy crap about the wheel clearance!! It's all fun and games with 'bigger is better' until you have that 'oh crap' moment on putting the wheels back on.

That's like some seriously miniscule clearance. In theory, you shouldn't need a spacer, but I understand you not wanting to biff the caliper or the inside of the spokes should you get a piece of...anything caught up in there.

Oh, and Tish, your front brakes do 80% of the work. Even on larger vehhiicles most companies only offer front kits, it's just not really necessary.

Does AEM still make those large-rotor-relocate-the-caliper-big-brake-kits? If so, that might work for the rear for you.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Now that I'm back home and it's later so the roads are clear, I'm heading out to go through the break-in procedure. I will post my full findings and thoughts on the kit either when I return tonight or tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Awesome, I have used this kit on some 1g TSX and 3G TL and it feels really good...I am expecting you'll like it.

Some of the differences Stoptech bulds into their kits is the individual pot size and the piston o-ring groove design. It helps optimize the pad suck-back when you get off the pedal. Anyway, good reviews are always desirable (read---good, not positive!)
Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I did the break-in procedure and finally have time to post the results.

I must say, it's amazing. It's a night and day difference between now and the stock brakes. The pedal engages quicker (nearly instantly) than before and has a very noticeable stiffer feel to it. There's virtually no lag between when you start to press the pedal and the pads start to grip onto the rotor. The actual braking itself is also insanely improved. After breaking them in, I did a few hard stops at about 80% capacity before the ABS would kick in, and I felt like I could stop instantly and at a MUCH shorter distance than I was capable of before. It really is incredible how much of a difference it is.

I had a BBK on one of my older vehicles and this Rotora BBK reminded me again why at the time, that was by far the best modification I ever had on that vehicle. With what my plans are for this car, it's going to be hard for anything to pass how much I love and appreciate this upgrade. I HIGHLY recommend upgrading to a BBK to anyone that's even considering it. $1300 or so may seem like a lot to spend on brakes, but considering I spent just about double that on wheels and tires, in all reality, it's really not. For anyone that's gone to an aftermarket wheel, this is a must purchase for you. And the safety benefits speak for themselves.

I also don't want to forget Marcus with HeelToe Auto. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to be the "guinea pig" and do this test fit for everyone. We put our heads together and after doing the research decided it would be well worth the effort, and it's definitely paid off. His help and services were above what I was expecting. So for all that, I just want to say thank you. For anyone thinking about upgrading to a BBK, don't hesitate to contact Marcus as I'm sure he'll be as helpful to you as he was me.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, I guess BBK is being bumped up to the top of my wish list over the Tein SS. Hopefully my stock struts will last with my S techs on by the time I get the BBK. Thanks for taking the first step in seeing if it fits.

Wow if i get this, it'll be more than my rims lol
Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow, I guess BBK is being bumped up to the top of my wish list over the Tein SS. Hopefully my stock struts will last with my S techs on by the time I get the BBK. Thanks for taking the first step in seeing if it fits.

Wow if i get this, it'll be more than my rims lol
Your stock struts should be good for quite a while. I bet you get another 30K miles out of them.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice work. The car looks great. Too bad they won't clear the stock wheels as the 17s are what I run in the winter and there is no way in He..I'm going to swap my stoppers every six months. Sucks to be me in this case.

Any plans to match the colour of your rear calipers?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

:-d

Quick Reply: Putting an end to the rumors. Questions WILL be answered!