Purchase: Accord Coupe V6 6MT vs. TSX I4 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Patiently waiting ...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchase: Accord Coupe V6 6MT vs. TSX I4 6MT

I hope this isn't another "Accord Coupe vs. TSX" thread, because searching didn't really show too much nor specifics. I will also post something similar in the DriveAccord 8th gen forum to get their take on it.

So, I currently drive a small domestic sport compact (2dr, automatic) that I've had for almost 8 years now (technically 9 yrs old) and it's time to replace. I've modified the heck out of this car over the years, from exterior (wheels, big brakes, body) to interior (two tone leather, full audio) to engine (supercharged 7psi, exhaust). I've had a blast in this car, but now it's time to move on to something new, and different.

I'm looking to buy either a '10 model Accord Coupe V6 6MT non-navi, or a '10 model TSX I4 6MT non-tech. The reason for the non-navi/tech is because I find that my $150 widescreen Garmin does more than enough than I need, is easier to use than an OEM navi, and of course is much cheaper than the $2-3k premium. Also, I plan on buying this car and keeping it for the long term, most likely 6 years (if not a few more).

No kids (don't plan on it anytime soon), young, and want to own an MT (mostly driven AT all my life). Plus, I need some practice for my future 2nd gen Viper, but that's a whole nother story .

I will also not be doing the extensive modifications as I've done in the past - I want to keep this one mostly stock (stock is beautiful).

They do have some similarities, such as the interior design, braking system, sunroof/homelink, leather interior, dual exhaust (symmetry), price range between the two models is close, and I can't afford a [future] V6 TSX (and that only will come in 5AT).

Acura TSX I4 6MT - PWP/Black

Pros -
- Acura name
- Slightly nicer interior
- Slightly better leather (perforated, feel)
- Slightly more powerful audio amplifier (even though the speakers are the same, just the tweeters are separate)
- I find white pearl colors to be beautiful
- I4 might prove beneficial when gas prices go up again
- OEM HID
- I've never owned a "sport" sedan
- Longer warranty than the Honda (but I do most work myself anyway)

Cons -
- Definitely needs 18's or 19's
- Definitely needs the Aero kit
- Same or underpowered compared to my current car
- Requires premium fuel
- I4 isn't necessarily more fuel efficient when comparing to the V6
- Acura name currently isn't top tier when compared to other lux brands
- Needs a small drop (Eibach maybe, but what struts?)
- No led tails

Honda Accord Coupe V6 6MT - BBP/Black

Pros -
- Great styling stock
- Comes with nice 18's
- Comes with a nice and powerful V6
- BBP is the original color I fell in love with when I saw it

Cons -
- Interior center console buttons slightly crowded
- Interior leather not as nice as TSX
- Needs HFP suspension (but cheap in price)
- Auto dimming mirror would be nice
- No side turn signals nor auto-down when reversing
- Needs HID (aftermarket...)
- Also no led tails

So hopefully if you've read this far, it's because you are actually contemplating posting something well thought out, because these cars do have their similarities. I'd like to know what your opinions are, just to see if others see something I don't see. And of course, I want to compare what the Accord owners think (bias) vs. the TSX owners. Thanks guys! :thmsup:

Last edited by Viper98912; 02-21-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I was in a semi-similar situation but mainly testing the I4 auto in the Accord coupe. IMO the TSX wins hands down for many reasons, many of which are on your Pros list for the TSX. Also, having a 2 door for so long you will appreciate having 4 doors I'm sure. I hardly ever have more than 1 passenger so I don't need 4 doors for that, but the 2 extra doors are very nice to have for daily activities.

I did like how the coupe drove overall but I liked the TSX much better. Also, having the memory seats, driver linked keys, and all of the other little things the Accord didn't offer are definitely great to have.

Good luck w/ your decision! The only real way to make one is drive them back to back and see what you think.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:58 PM
CU2 How Bout You??

Well the way i looked at it was, i had to drive both. I went to the local Acura dealership to test drive a TSX then I went back to my garage to test drive my sister's 2008 Accord Coupe V6. What I found was although the V6 was faster, i just fell in love with how well the overall package of the TSX was. It might not be as fast but in every other category the TSX has to be put on top.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Unlike the 70's, 4 doors hold their resale better, and have better side impact with the more in center B-pillar. If Honda used the same front/side fenders on the 4 door Accord as the two door, it may be a more interesting comparison. It really comes down to your perference - but I vote for the TSX.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would consider the G37 Coupe. Some dealers still have 2008s on the lot (that may seem unbelievable but it's true) and you can get them for Accord prices. Just look into it because that may provide everything you're looking for .
Old 02-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the tsx gear box is def nicer.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Accord Coupe 6 M/T!! More power and looks great.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

I drove an 08 accord coupe v6 and tsx on the same day last summer. I think your post is pretty well laid out. It's really up to you if the nice extras of the Acura are worth more to you than the V6. That coupe really goes. That's all great for a test drive, but for the way I really drive, the 200hp four is plenty.

Visibility in the tsx is not great, but the accord positively sucks in comparison. Smooth seat leather was a little sticky.

I wouldn't believe for a second that you could get similar mileage with the six under the same driving conditions.

I have a base model and all those things you mention: hid's, tilt down mirror, usb audio, perf leather really separate the tsx from just any old honda. You should be able to get a TSX close to invoice nowadays, I think that represents a lot of car for the money.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
For me, a coupe is a no-no. I used to have a BMW M3 (2003). I was on the M3 forum. There was a meet somewhere in California. Apparently, a bunch of M3s were going around the mountain road and one of them lost control and rolled down the hillside. The M3 was on it's roof and caught fire. The driver and front passengers were able to crawl out with significant burn wounds but survived. The two rear passengers were literally trap (due to coupe configuration) and burned alive. From that point on, i made a promise to myself to NEVER drive a coupe again...yeah, it is OK if you're single, but i would not recommend it if you have a family OR drive often with friends in your car.

Just my paranoia...sorry for the sad post.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Banned

I was having a lively debate about the merits of coupes versus hatch/fastbacks recently. I wish I had that anecdote on hand at the time. Coupes, death traps indeed.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Patiently waiting ...

It's normally me and sometimes one passenger, hence no problem to carrying people in the back much of the time.

Secondly, if this M3 was a mountain run, why would you even have passengers in the car?!?! Maybe, MAYBE a front passenger, but rear? That's just not thinking right. Sorry for the people who were in the back.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I HAD THE EXACT SAME ISSUE BEFORE I GOT MY TSX (WHICH IS 6MT ALSO). To be honest, I love my TSX. TSX is nearly perfect with loaded standard equipments BUT as you well may know, is underpowered. I got TSX becauseIf I had another chance, I will lean towards the Accord 6 V6 MT. It has all the features of TSX except for HID (which can be installed for less than $300 these days) and some other small features. As a coupe lover, Accord is slightly better looking IMO. It's just that HONDA badge and the fact that Accord is american manufactured car. Its too bad the TSX V6 will not be made with MT. Did you also know that Accord has POWER lumbar support and TSX doesn't? Still, I LOVE MY TSX!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Racer

BTW, here is the story from my above post:

ocregister.com:

CHP identifies car-crash victim

The man who died over the weekend in what officials said might have been a speed contest on Santiago Canyon Road was identified Monday as James O. Wimani, 19, of Fountain Valley.

Wimani was a passenger in a 2003 BMW M3 driven by David Huie, 20, of Huntington Beach, CHP officials said. The accident occurred about 7:30 p.m. Saturday as Huie drove westbound in excess of 80 mph nearing the Foothill (241) Toll Road, the CHP said. The car left the road, hit a utility pole, overturned and caught fire.

Huie and a second passenger escaped the vehicle; Wimani was trapped inside. Huie suffered major injuries, and passenger Jordan Foster, 19, had moderate injuries.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

Wow, you have to wonder what a driver goes through when they cause an accident and kill their passenger or passengers, or drivers in other cars.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If gas is going to be an issue get the Accord Coupe V6. The EPA ratings are similar, but the plus being that the Accord can take Regular fuel. When fuel reached $4.00 a gallon this past summer there was almost a 50 cent price difference between premium and regular. Contigent on how much gas you put in, you could ultimately be getting 2 gallons extra or more gas by using regular over premium. That will trump any minor difference in fuel economy between the I4 and V6.

Also people forget how much of a luxury passing power is, I used to own a V6 TL, now I own an Accord I4, its much more difficult to merge onto highways it seems I'm always putting the pedal to the floor in order to reach highway speeds.

I also noticed I consume more fuel with the I4 because I need to use more throttle than with the V6 in order to maintain or build speed.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

I never saw any 50 cent differences between regular and premium, more like 15 cents in extreme cases.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw 50 cent differences. I didn't go to those stations though. In fact the most convenient station on my work commute has decided they're going to stick with that spread even now. I hope they go out of business and some one more reasonable moves in. They never have fluid in their squeegee buckets either. I hate that place.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I saw 50 cent differences. I didn't go to those stations though. In fact the most convenient station on my work commute has decided they're going to stick with that spread even now. I hope they go out of business and some one more reasonable moves in. They never have fluid in their squeegee buckets either. I hate that place.
You can't blame the station and you need to blame where they purchase the fuel from for the prices. In fact, many stations are locked in and must purchase their gas from a certain company, and the station itself is lucky to make even a half cent on each gallon sold.

wackura, around here Premium vs. Regular is anywhere from $.20-$.30 difference regularly, and when the prices rose last summer the spread was even higher in many places.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I see mostly 20cent differences between Regular and Premium. Maybe it's because I've only lived in various parts of California.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned

If I ever actualy see a 50 cent spread on a board I won't be able to help but be a little upset at Honda for making our cars so much more costly to operate.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Patiently waiting ...

I'm of the school of thought that if you do a lot of highway driving (which I do) than you might actually get better mileage with a V6 because you're not working the engine as hard to keep the same speed.

That said, in the future if I sell the car (regardless, I'm going to have to sell it at some point), it'll be much easier to convince someone that the I4 uses less gas than the V6. This is just fact.

And if worst comes to worst, you can always use regular instead of premium. Premium is recommended but not absolutely necessary. So when it comes to a sales pitch, someone looking for an affordable, but still somewhat luxury car, is going to choose the I4 over the V6.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Patiently waiting ...

Any more opinions?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Base from your first post acura has more pros than honda. If you will ask me i love tsx! dont care what they say about the engine.. lol LOVE IS BLIND :p
Old 02-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Viper98912
I'm of the school of thought that if you do a lot of highway driving (which I do) than you might actually get better mileage with a V6 because you're not working the engine as hard to keep the same speed.

That said, in the future if I sell the car (regardless, I'm going to have to sell it at some point), it'll be much easier to convince someone that the I4 uses less gas than the V6. This is just fact.

And if worst comes to worst, you can always use regular instead of premium. Premium is recommended but not absolutely necessary. So when it comes to a sales pitch, someone looking for an affordable, but still somewhat luxury car, is going to choose the I4 over the V6.
This is unlikely to happen in case of Honda cars.
TSX 5At. delivers 60mph @2000rpm and 80mph @2500rpm. Unless V6 engine can produce same speed at less rpm. it will consume more fuel.
I had experiance with friend Accord V6 3.0L coupe 2005 auto. A car lighter than 2G TSX. with same stretch of road and similar speed he was getting 30mph while TSX was above 33mpg. you can always floor TSX I4 for enjoyment in sport mode at still get 22mpg.
and there is long term timing belt replacement on accord. not sure it is in V6 TSX.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Racer

Any more opinions?
Let me guess. Honda forum picked the Accord? Right? What about the 4 cyl version of the Accord coupe? Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Patiently waiting ...

The reason for V6 accord coupe was because they're at the same price point (almost). I4 accord coupe would be taking a step down, and there's more than just the engine that's different between the 4 and 6 accord.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

EPA estimates would reflect that if it were true. What might be true is that V6 engines don't suffer as much wear and tear due the consistantly lower RPMs. That said, I've never heard anyone recomend a V6 model over an I4 on account of reliability, and infact I more often hear the opposite, things like "the tranny was designed for an I4 and wears out quickly due to the V6 loads."
Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Racer

Remember also that Honda specializes in making 4-cylinders...and their 4-bangers are very well-respected throughout the auto industry. Sadly, the same cannot be said about their transmissions.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tigmd99
Remember also that Honda specializes in making 4-cylinders...and their 4-bangers are very well-respected throughout the auto industry. Sadly, the same cannot be said about their transmissions.
yeah, but the same can be said about the j-series v6, its been in the ward's top 10 engines of the year numerous times. including the j35 from the coupe. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/07/w...gines-of-2009/