Price for a new 2013 or 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price for a new 2013 or 2014?

Hello, my name is Jason and I am in the market for a new TSX. They are a beautiful car, I was doing a little research and noticed a couple dealerships locally still have a couple 2013 base tax left in stock. I got a price of $26,999 for a base TSX MSRP $31,450. Price seems a little high for being a leftover, can a 2014 be bought for less? What is the dealer cash going on for this month? Thank you for everyones help!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:44 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
That honestly see me pretty low to me..
Old 03-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you can go lower, 25,500 26k
Old 03-19-2014, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear

I have a price quote of $27500 for a base 2014, just don't think the 2013 makes any sense unless it was about 24k
Old 03-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jasonzimbran
I have a price quote of $27500 for a base 2014, just don't think the 2013 makes any sense unless it was about 24k
The 2013 and 2014 TSX are the same car so the price difference shouldn't be that drastic. Approximately a 1k price difference is reasonable.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonzimbran
Hello, my name is Jason and I am in the market for a new TSX. They are a beautiful car, I was doing a little research and noticed a couple dealerships locally still have a couple 2013 base tax left in stock. I got a price of $26,999 for a base TSX MSRP $31,450. Price seems a little high for being a leftover, can a 2014 be bought for less? What is the dealer cash going on for this month? Thank you for everyones help!
What everyone here (so far) may be discounting (no pun intended) is the very real differences that can exist in prices due to region. What is a good deal in Houston, or Chicago, may not be in Miami or St Louis (for example) or vice versa. The TSX has always been particularly sensitive to this.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Didn't think of that, makes sense. I was going on price differences in new jersey
Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Purchased 2014 TSX with Tech $29,266 +Tax +Tags +Registration +Processing (30,554 OTD)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CapNcook
I think you can go lower, 25,500 26k

wow can't get that price in los angeles... whether 13 or not...
Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Go to TrueCar.com, pick a car and plug in a couple of zip codes from various regions. Pick big cities and little cities and you'll see a huge variance of up to a couple of thousand dollars.

Apropos Truecar - it might not give you the best available pricing but it will give you a ballpark figure that's pretty close (in the Washington D.C. area.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwk331
wow can't get that price in los angeles... whether 13 or not...
I was getting quotes a little higher than that when I was buying my 12. So I figure now they've gotta empty their lots for the TLX, 26k is reasonable (for a base)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
Go to TrueCar.com, pick a car and plug in a couple of zip codes from various regions. Pick big cities and little cities and you'll see a huge variance of up to a couple of thousand dollars.

Apropos Truecar - it might not give you the best available pricing but it will give you a ballpark figure that's pretty close (in the Washington D.C. area.
TrueCar and the Consumer Reports extended version had many errors. For example, they indicate a $1500 rebate on the TSX. Not true. The don't indicate the special financing. Finally, I don't think these sites reflect the true cost to the dealer. So use them as a benchmark.

I shopped online, and used email. I made offers then asked for today's OTD. I told one dealer I have a low offer and asked them to match it. Then used their match to get the same deal locally. Its takes a bit of work and patience but with many cars on the lot, and few buyers…they still have to move cars.

I even had one dealer tell me the TSX was scarce. So I sent him a list of all the dealers in my area and their inventory. Then he fessed up that he meant he had few.

Did the dealer lose money? Nope: They have their holdback, and can easily sell my trade for a 2000 profit. Also, there are volume incentives that are not even published by Truecar.

Today the whole invoice pricing is not like it was 10 to 15 years ago. Manufacturers are wise and publish disinformation. I suggest you walk a few lots and look for cars that are already marked down. Use that as the starting point.

BTW, never go to the dealer to close the deal alone. Too many things going on and you need a disinterested part to observe and keep you out of trouble. Even the nicest dealers will pull fast ones. The biggest is adding in freight when its already in the MSRP.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:04 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EricInMaryland
TrueCar and the Consumer Reports extended version had many errors. For example, they indicate a $1500 rebate on the TSX. Not true. The don't indicate the special financing. Finally, I don't think these sites reflect the true cost to the dealer. So use them as a benchmark.

I shopped online, and used email. I made offers then asked for today's OTD. I told one dealer I have a low offer and asked them to match it. Then used their match to get the same deal locally. Its takes a bit of work and patience but with many cars on the lot, and few buyers…they still have to move cars.

I even had one dealer tell me the TSX was scarce. So I sent him a list of all the dealers in my area and their inventory. Then he fessed up that he meant he had few.

Did the dealer lose money? Nope: They have their holdback, and can easily sell my trade for a 2000 profit. Also, there are volume incentives that are not even published by Truecar.

Today the whole invoice pricing is not like it was 10 to 15 years ago. Manufacturers are wise and publish disinformation. I suggest you walk a few lots and look for cars that are already marked down. Use that as the starting point.

BTW, never go to the dealer to close the deal alone. Too many things going on and you need a disinterested part to observe and keep you out of trouble. Even the nicest dealers will pull fast ones. The biggest is adding in freight when its already in the MSRP.
For the purposes of this discussion, the actual prices are immaterial. What is important is the difference in regional prices.

It is absurd to say "I can buy the car for..." when you have no idea where the OP is.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
For the purposes of this discussion, the actual prices are immaterial. What is important is the difference in regional prices.

It is absurd to say "I can buy the car for..." when you have no idea where the OP is.
Not so. Its a benchmark. For the purposes of this discussion do you know the regional differences? Does anyone?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I see that I've once again managed to slip a hand grenade into another, what was, a pretty simple (though relatively meaningless) "is this a good price?" discussion. Buying a new car is pretty easy, and I've never quite got my hands around why many seem to insist on making it such a project. I too would suggest looking at TrueCar to get a feel for the local market, find a car that you like (and/or a dealer), and make your best deal. Who cares if the price is plus or minus $500 from what the other guy paid, or what you wanted to pay, or what some yahoo on here thinks you should pay? Trust me, a few years from now, and/or when you go to dispose of the car, you won't remember what you paid, and you won't care.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Not so. Its a benchmark. For the purposes of this discussion do you know the regional differences? Does anyone?
Yes, there are multiple ways of determining the regional differences, but most of those are beyond the individual's grasp.

I have found, from personal experience, that TrueCar showed basic regional differences. Remember too that there are differences between regional pricing on tech vs non-tech - in the DC area, pricing on the non-tech is very aggressive because few people here buy them so you'll get a better price (% off MSRP) on a non-tech, than on a tech.

In West Virginia, the tech gets a better deal.

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I see that I've once again managed to slip a hand grenade into another, what was, a pretty simple (though relatively meaningless) "is this a good price?" discussion. Buying a new car is pretty easy, and I've never quite got my hands around why many seem to insist on making it such a project. I too would suggest looking at TrueCar to get a feel for the local market, find a car that you like (and/or a dealer), and make your best deal. Who cares if the price is plus or minus $500 from what the other guy paid, or what you wanted to pay, or what some yahoo on here thinks you should pay? Trust me, a few years from now, and/or when you go to dispose of the car, you won't remember what you paid, and you won't care.
In addition, everybody on the internet got the best price.

These posts are funny, because you always get a few posters who claim to have gotten an impossibly cheap price. If they actually paid that price then they "forgot" that they paid additional fees for taxes, shipping or what-not.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

We paid $32k + sales tax, license ($380), doc fee ($80) for our 2014 Tech Wagon with dealer installed wheel locks, all weather mats and splash guards. Then we got the Acura-care 8yr/120k for $1650 and 5 window tint for $275 (that's about the going price around here so it's wasn't a great price but it saved some effort.) Would they have gone lower? I don't think so since any attempt to go lower or add stuff was met with "no." $32k was my goal price so I'm not looking back. There was a new 2013 available but that dealer wouldn't go this low on it and the Tech Wagons are getting pretty scarce around here.

Last edited by awats; 03-23-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by awats
We paid $32k + sales tax, license ($380), doc fee ($80) for our 2014 Tech Wagon with dealer installed wheel locks, all weather mats and splash guards. Then we got the Acura-care 8yr/120k for $1650 and 5 window tint for $275 (that's about the going price around here so it's wasn't a great price but it saved some effort.) Would they have gone lower? I don't think so since any attempt to go lower or add stuff was met with "no." $32k was my goal price so I'm not looking back. There was a new 2013 available but that dealer wouldn't go this low on it and the Tech Wagons are getting pretty scarce around here.
IF you got the car less than 30 days ago, then cancel your extended warranty and buy one from Saccucci Honda. Same warranty, just a lot cheaper. Do a search on Saccucci Acura warranty on google.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
IF you got the car less than 30 days ago, then cancel your extended warranty and buy one from Saccucci Honda. Same warranty, just a lot cheaper. Do a search on Saccucci Acura warranty on google.
Damn those are good prices. The cost of mine is in the loan so there is little I can do.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Damn those are good prices. The cost of mine is in the loan so there is little I can do.
If you are in the "return" window (30 or 60 days I think) then you can get a refund - they'll send you a check - and you can call Saccucci and get a new policy.

Call Gardiner Reynolds (the guy at Saccucci) and talk to him. He'll tell you if he can help. I've bought 6 warranties from him.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
Can't do it unless they are in California. Laws and such. I shopped around and was informed that out of state companies can't sell insurance into California unless they have a physical presence. I shopped several California dealers and their prices were either very close to that or a bit higher. Good enough.

Last edited by awats; 03-26-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Can't do it unless they are in California. Laws and such. I shopped around and was informed that out of state companies can't sell insurance into California unless they have a physical presence. I shopped several California dealers and their prices were either very close to that or a bit higher. Good enough.
Laws ruin everything.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
If you are in the "return" window (30 or 60 days I think) then you can get a refund - they'll send you a check - and you can call Saccucci and get a new policy.

Call Gardiner Reynolds (the guy at Saccucci) and talk to him. He'll tell you if he can help. I've bought 6 warranties from him.
I did call him. He said that since my original warranty was financed, the refund check would go to the finance company.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Racer

What?

You can buy that warranty from any dealer, anywhere.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Call Saccucci and ask. I suspect you were given incorrect information.

Acura has a physical presence in California. You are buying an Acura warranty, not a Saccucci warranty.

Last edited by ceb; 03-28-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Intermediate

In California, an extended warranty is an "insurance product" and falls under different laws. A dealer outside California can't sell an extended warranty product to someone in California. You're not buying the warranty from Acura, you are buying it through what is effectively an insurance agent (the dealer.)

When we were shopping I got lots of quotes from various dealers (some quite good) but when I said I was in California I was told they couldn't sell it to me. I called enough dealers between GM, BMW, Subaru and Acura and got the same answer. When I was negotiating with a dealer just over the border in Nevada, they would sell me the car but I would have to shop for the "factory" extended warranty in California. It didn't matter what dealer and they suggested one but they didn't come in with a competitive price. Buying outside the state was ok up until a couple of years ago from what I can tell but it's changed. Not all states have this law so you get more flexibility.

The dealer we bought from did attempt to steer me to a different warranty claiming it included "wear and tear" which they couldn't clearly define ... for $100 less and 9yr/120k miles. But when I read the fine print and determine it wasn't Acura backed and was underwritten by a third party, I passed. The coverage on the surface looked good (bumper to bumper) but a falling out with the underwriter could make it worthless. I stayed with the Acuracare coverage.

Last edited by awats; 03-31-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Racer

What kind of BS law is that? Oh wait, I pay .05 cents for every bag I use when I make a B&M purchase…I guess every state has it BS laws
Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 AM
Intermediate

What kind of BS law is that? Oh wait, I pay .05 cents for every bag I use when I make a B&M purchase…I guess every state has it BS laws
Every state has theirs.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

In California, an extended warranty is an "insurance product" and falls under different laws. A dealer outside California can't sell an extended warranty product to someone in California. You're not buying the warranty from Acura, you are buying it through what is effectively an insurance agent (the dealer.)

When we were shopping I got lots of quotes from various dealers (some quite good) but when I said I was in California I was told they couldn't sell it to me. I called enough dealers between GM, BMW, Subaru and Acura and got the same answer. When I was negotiating with a dealer just over the border in Nevada, they would sell me the car but I would have to shop for the "factory" extended warranty in California. It didn't matter what dealer and they suggested one but they didn't come in with a competitive price. Buying outside the state was ok up until a couple of years ago from what I can tell but it's changed. Not all states have this law so you get more flexibility.

The dealer we bought from did attempt to steer me to a different warranty claiming it included "wear and tear" which they couldn't clearly define ... for $100 less and 9yr/120k miles. But when I read the fine print and determine it wasn't Acura backed and was underwritten by a third party, I passed. The coverage on the surface looked good (bumper to bumper) but a falling out with the underwriter could make it worthless. I stayed with the Acuracare coverage.
Not quite correct. The law in California was intended to protect consumers from fly-by-night aftermarket warranty companies and is being used by dealers to convice the consumer that they need to buy it from them.

From the California law

(d) “Service contract administrator” or “administrator” means any person, other than an obligor, who performs or arranges, directly or indirectly, the collection, maintenance, or disbursement of moneys to compensate any party for claims or repairs pursuant to a vehicle service contract, and who also performs or arranges, directly or indirectly, any of the following activities with respect to vehicle service contracts in which a seller located within this state is the obligor:
(1) Providing sellers with service contract forms.
(2) Participating in the adjustment of claims arising from service contracts.
(e) “Purchaser” means any person who purchases a vehicle service contract from a seller.

Since Honda/Acura is duly licensed in the state of California and the adjustment of claims is done at the local level initially, it is immaterial where you buy the contract.

The service contract itself is provided to you via mail by Honda/Acura, is administered by them and claims adjudicated by them. Curry, Saccucci or Bernardi don't have a role in any of that.

As long as a company is licensed to sell that particular warranty in California then it makes no difference who you buy it from. The warranty information is entered into the Acura database by Acura and nobody cares where you bought it.

California already got their cut from Acura.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Great, let me know when you find one that will actually sell me the Acuracare warranty from out of state and cheaper than what I paid. Nothing else matters. What the law specifically says, the details, subtleties and content is irrelevant if they won't sell it to me and that is what I found. Lots of peoples on other forums said the same thing as you - "yes, they will sell to you!" but none would and the reason was "we can't."

So even if I am wrong, unless someone will actually sell me one (which none of the 20 or so dealers I called across various manufactures outside California would) I am the same as right.

Help me out here. I am more than happy to be wrong to save some money. The more money I save the more wrong I am willing to be. Shoot me that dealer's name.

Last edited by awats; 04-01-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Great, let me know when you find one that will actually sell me the Acuracare warranty from out of state and cheaper than what I paid. Nothing else matters. What the law specifically says, the details, subtleties and content is irrelevant if they won't sell it to me and that is what I found. Lots of peoples on other forums said the same thing as you - "yes, they will sell to you!" but none would and the reason was "we can't."

So even if I am wrong, unless someone will actually sell me one (which none of the 20 or so dealers I called across various manufactures outside California would) I am the same as right.

Help me out here. I am more than happy to be wrong to save some money. The more money I save the more wrong I am willing to be. Shoot me that dealer's name.
Try the Saccucci Honda people. Try the plan finder, select your car, mileage and state and see what the system spits out. You can then use the "contact us" to ask a follow-on question.

I sure hope I'm right - for your sake.

I wouldn't ask "do you sell to California" but would just truthfully answer questions. BTW - California isn't blocked in the system and it'll spit out a price.

Last edited by ceb; 04-01-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Ok, I went to the website and filled it out. I got the email back with the price. I pulled my paperwork on the car and in fact I only paid 1605 for the warranty and Succucci matched that. The next step is talking to someone there to see if they would actually sell it. Obviously since the price is no better I won't do it.

However, I've been to this point before. Everything looks great and it stops. On the other hand, if people in California can get competitive pricing outside the state, it's great. But I remain confused why so many dealers said no to selling into California and it wasn't just one ...