Possibly buying 2012 TSX Wagon - Looking for positives

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Possibly buying 2012 TSX Wagon - Looking for positives

Howdy! Newbie here, sorry this is so long, but this is a big decision and I'm looking for some help after spending about 4 hours here looking around.

We have been driving pretty much trouble-free Saabs (two 9-5's, a wagon with 130K miles and an Aero with 210K miles) for the past six or seven years and with the company in such dire straits I'm looking to defect to a decent, quality Euro-type car to replace our aging wagon/trip car.

My first choice was a CPO GLK350. Family loves them, ride and built are awesome, but space is just a bit tight, and the MPG's scare me (16/21), knowing $5 gas is probably going to happen during a 5-6 year ownership. They've been getting great reviews and seem to share the same trouble-free status of the new C-class. But, for a CPO with 35K miles on it, I can get a 2012 TSX wagon new. The safety factor of MB is going to be hard to beat though.

Looked at Subarus, but don't like the new styling, and the seats are terrible. Excellent seating is something we've been spoiled with on the Saabs and I will NOT go back to bad seats.

So we were pretty much sold on the GLK today, I even put down a deposit, but I had heard about the TSX wagon. Supposedly, we have a top-notch local Acura dealer if ratings are any indication, so I thought why not just stop by before we head off to work? Bad decision. It set our heads spinning.

My wife and I both sat in the new TSX Sportwagon and were pretty smitten. Now we know why salespeople don't want you to leave the dealership without making a deal. It was almost a drop-in replacement for our 9-5 wagon, except for that damned 201hp engine. We are so used to the torque of the 258ft/lbs in our wagon. Still, 30mpg or more would be hard to pass up. But it was beautiful. Loved the interior, the smell of the leather. We got a brochure and went home, thinking about what we were going to tell the MB salesperson, who we really liked a lot, and thinking about maybe this would be a better financial fit for our family.

But then I start looking around online and there is talk of the seats not being good on long trips (the thing I really fear -- my dad has an 07 Accord and I cannot drive it for more than 30 minutes or so), premature leather wear, leaking sunroofs, squeaks and rattles (which I was so happy to get away from when we left VW for Subaru and Saab in the early 2000's), and horrible paint quality.

One of the prime reasons for looking at this car as the right financial purchase was that if I'm going to be spending 5-6 years paying it off, and probably having 120K on it at the end of that time, I thought having an Acura would probably mean zero issues out of warranty. I mean, that's what we're all led to believe out here in non-Acura land? I know so little about Hondas and Acuras.

I also know people go online to complain when something bad happens, so I guess I'm looking for some positive stories? Coming from Saab and aspiring to Mercedes (someday), will I be happy with this car? I'm going to have to get used to an engine that I have to rev instead of getting turbo grunt down low, but it's the comfort, long-term quality and general fit and finish that I'm concerned about now. $30-35K doesn't come easily to me as I'm the sole breadwinner. The fact that it's made in Japan is supposed to be a big selling point. That's why I bought our Forester (instead of a Legacy) in 2003 and my Mazdaspeed6 in 2006 (instead of a regular 6).

Again, sorry for the long post, but I'm really hoping to get a sense of if these are 5% of the people here who have issues with paint and rattles and leaks and things, or if it's more like 50% because Acura quality has slipped over the years?

And thank god they toned down the beak on this model, or I wouldn't even be considering it right now. What Acura did to the TL should be investigated as a homicide.

Anyway, thanks for any help!

Aaron
Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I've had a 2011 non-tech Sport Wagon for almost 6 months now and can say I've not had squeaks, rattles, or leaking sunroof. I've been really happy with it. I came from an 04 TSX so I'm used to the lack of torque. I miss the 6MT but I knew what I was getting in to, and I haven't missed it as much as I expected. For what it's worth, my prior TSX had some squeaks and rattles that got resolved but no leaky sunroof.

The paint quality (graphite luster metallic) on this one seems to be decent so far, at least alot better than expected, given my experience with the 04 TSX (milano red) and my 99 Civic Si (flamenco black pearl), both of which had literally hundreds of chips on the hood over 5-7 years of ownership. I have found one chip in my paint thus far.

I've been averaging about 28.5 mpg since I got the car in about a 50/50 mix of city/highway, going close to 500 miles between fill-ups. I'm with you on the MPG of SUVs/crossovers. I don't think I could live with 18 mpg now, let alone when gas invariably goes back over $4.

If you get it, I'd recommend against the Acura all season mats. They're super flimsy. The first gen all season mats were nice and heavy, but these feel pretty unsubstantial. Had I known this ahead of time, I would probably have opted for Weathertech mats.

For what it's worth, I think these seats are VERY comfortable. The Subaru seats, the bottom isn't long enough, I agree they were pretty bad and uncomfortable quickly. The Acura seats seem to have a longer bottom, and good side bolstering. I love these seats. But I'm 5'9" 170#, if you're bigger than this, I could see them feeling too narrow, but they hug me perfectly. The leather (black) seems to be a bit higher quality than the leather I had in my 04 (parchment), or maybe it's just my imagination or the fact that I'm comparing 7 year old leather to new leather. Not that the old leather was bad, this just seems a bit higher quality.

The back seats are tight if you are going to use them alot. My wife is petite (we spend alot of time in the back seat wink wink) and we have one child, a toddler, so it's not an issue for us, but if you had a couple teenagers this car might be too small for you.

I like the car. I've been quite happy with it so far. I suspect its scarcity will mean the resale is pretty good. I can't give you a reason not to buy it aside from the concerns you've mentioned (power), but if those are dealbreakers for you, then I don't want to try to talk you into it.

FYI, there's talk that the new Buick Regal may come out in wagon form. The wagon pics I've seen of that car look pretty nice and I think the new Regal in general looks pretty good, and it is probably somewhat related to the Saabs you've driven. Though I'm not sure it will come in wagon form, but if you search the internets, there is an abundance of discussion about it and photos and such.

Good luck in making your decision.

Last edited by scheißterhöffer; 10-14-2011 at 10:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
spg900ny (10-15-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my tech wagon back in march of this year and love it so fa. Ride and comfort is great. Its not the most powerful thing out there, but it is decent. My wife's Turbo Mazda cx7 has more power and torque, but my tsx is more fun to drive. I have no problems with squeaks or rattles... I have a heavier foot so I've been averagng about 25mpg... way better gas mileage than my 03 Tacoma... I was getting about 16-17mpg with that...

Its a great car, its pretty rare too, so its nice to have something very few other people have... I got stopped by a couple different people in parking lots asking me about it...

Where have you heard these rumor about qc issues? I haven't seen any...
spg900ny (10-15-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I bought our '11 TSX wagon in March, nearly 7,000 miles later there hasn't been a single problem. No premature seat wear, no rattles. I'm averaging 27 mpg and have gotten as little as 22 around town and as much as 36 on the highway.

The gear ratios keep you in the power band, I've never wanted or needed more power

This is now my 5th Acura...
spg900ny (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the responses. They put my mind at ease regarding the issues. Cisobe, the quality issues are mostly from the "problems" forum here, and a lot of stuff on the Edmunds discussion boards. Going to have to take one for an extended test drive to determine whether or not the seats will be an issue, but if they have more length than the Subarus, that's probably going to address any potential problems I would have had.

I hear Honda/Acura may be increasing incentives at year end to catch up for any market share loss it experienced due to the Tsunami/Earthquake earlier in the year. Wife and I are not in a rush, so it probably looks like we're going to choose a time and will most likely own our first Acura by year's end -- she wants black-on-black. That's always fun to keep clean and shiny, eh?

Thanks again all! Hopefully I'll be hanging out here soon!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
We bought our wagon in January and we have enjoyed it so far. We live in TN and have taken 1 trip to FL, and 3 trips to Evansville, IN. Average on the freeway has been upper 20's to low 30's ( tend to stay close to the speed limit), in town has been mid to upper 20's. Power to us has not been an issue, but we had an Accord LX before this. The handling is very good, but I think the back seat leg room may be tight. Front seat comfort has been good on all of our trips, but since I am long waisted I do hit my head on the ceiling.

Good luck with the decision. Billy
Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my TSX since 6/25/11 (2011 Model) and although I have only put 1100 miles on it I have had no trouble whatsoever. No rattles, squeaks, etc. As far as the seats go, I've driven as long as 3 hours at a time and I did not feel uncomfortable or anything.
Two of my cousins were in the back seat and they are rather large and neither of them complained.
Have you test drove the car yet? I had no intentions of getting an Acura TSX when I was car shopping, but the dealership was next to the Honda dealership so I went in and took a look.
One test drive later, I was hooked.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:51 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Positive? You get to join a forum with the coolest people known to the internet. That should be enough incentive to drop ~35 g's on a car.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:02 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
^ pretty much why theres been an increased in cu2 drivers lately
Old 10-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had my 2011 Tech for over six months now. No problems whatsoever. No squeaks. No rattles. No paint issues. No leather issues. Average fuel economy has been ~27.5. Highway trips as high as 35. I also just got back from a 6.5 hour road trip. The seat comfort has been excellent. (Better than my previous 2005 TSX sedan.)

The power definitely isn't the selling point of this car. In my opinion, it's the overall package. Great looking inside & out. Fun to drive (relative to handling). Exceptional fuel economy. Practical storage. Low maintenance. High predicted reliability.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced

@billyt1963 - don't think the rear seat is as tight as in the GLK, so that's a positive. Back seat of the 9-5 is fairly roomy, but not like the Lacrosse we rented a bit back. You wanna talk about back seat room... wow!

@coooolwhip - haven't test driven it yet. Wife and I just stopped into Acura for a moment to look at it. I had pretty much discounted it based on the power figures and the fact that I generally prefer european cars. Once we saw it in person though, particularly the interior, we were pretty thrown. I'm actually kind of afraid to take it for a test drive because then I'd probably get more emotional about the purchase. When I went to trade in my old Saab 9-2X for something bigger back in 2005/06, I happened to hear about the Mazdaspeed6. Took it for a test drive and couldn't contain my amazement for that car. I figured salesperson had me hooked at that point. Signed the papers that day. I think I want to wait for a snowy day to walk in and buy this, or hopefully a $1K cash back from Acura or something, hopefully in Nov/Dec. There seem to be enough of them available. All that said, I can't wait to drive it. We'll probably test drive it in the next week or two.

@TSXKid2010 - yeah, cool folks in a forum is always a big bonus.

@Chewbach - it most definitely is the package for this car. The value for around $33-35K is pretty much unbeatable from what I've seen, not that there are many wagon choices in the US right now. I like that it reportedly handles well, and yes, the mileage will be a big big bonus as well.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spg900ny
@billyt1963 - don't think the rear seat is as tight as in the GLK, so that's a positive. Back seat of the 9-5 is fairly roomy, but not like the Lacrosse we rented a bit back. You wanna talk about back seat room... wow!

@coooolwhip - haven't test driven it yet. Wife and I just stopped into Acura for a moment to look at it. I had pretty much discounted it based on the power figures and the fact that I generally prefer european cars. Once we saw it in person though, particularly the interior, we were pretty thrown. I'm actually kind of afraid to take it for a test drive because then I'd probably get more emotional about the purchase. When I went to trade in my old Saab 9-2X for something bigger back in 2005/06, I happened to hear about the Mazdaspeed6. Took it for a test drive and couldn't contain my amazement for that car. I figured salesperson had me hooked at that point. Signed the papers that day. I think I want to wait for a snowy day to walk in and buy this, or hopefully a $1K cash back from Acura or something, hopefully in Nov/Dec. There seem to be enough of them available. All that said, I can't wait to drive it. We'll probably test drive it in the next week or two.

@TSXKid2010 - yeah, cool folks in a forum is always a big bonus.

@Chewbach - it most definitely is the package for this car. The value for around $33-35K is pretty much unbeatable from what I've seen, not that there are many wagon choices in the US right now. I like that it reportedly handles well, and yes, the mileage will be a big big bonus as well.
Go for the V6 if you want more power.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by coooolwhip
Go for the V6 if you want more power.
I would love to. Unfortunately, in the wagon, that would require an engine swap. Not something I'm eager to do on a car I just bought new.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
27 MPG! tell me that's highway! My wife's new elantra gets 26 mpg combined. and -1 for v6 xD
Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Good Vibes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
This wagon isn't made to compete with the Magnum and Cadillac wagons but to give folks another choice in a line of cars we love. You get all the perks Acuras give plus the extra room to haul more stuff that wouldn't fit in a sedan trunk. The roof rack is a definite plus if you're the outdoorsy type who loves to haul extra gear. From my past experience with wagons (99 BMW 528 Touring), you get a ride that's more balanced because of the better distribution of extra rear weight and the admiration of having a car style that's rare and not seen very often. I can't throw the MDX around the same way I do the TSX Wagon as it's smaller, lighter and much more nimble.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
definitely not a GLK, if you were seriously considering that car, but the Acura wagon gets the job done.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Thanks again for the testimonials!

Assuming all goes well, signing papers tomorrow on a 2011 TSX Technology Wagon in Black. Not looking forward to trying to keep it clean and swirl-free, but my wife's only request for our new car was that it would be black, so there you have it.

Will post a new thread & pics when we get it!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Congratulations!!! I hope you all enjoy it as much as we have!

Billy
Old 10-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Advanced

Test drove a TSX sedan this morning (they didn't have a wagon) and signed the papers for a 2011 TSX Sportwagon w/Tech. Black-on-black. Almost did the white/taupe, but then figured with a 4-year old it would be easier to keep the black "clean" looking inside (even if the outside would be a major headache).

Really really psyched and can't wait to stretch it out on a long trip to New England next month!

Will post a new thread & pics when I get it next weekend!

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Congratulations!
spg900ny (10-21-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 2011 TSX Wagon in white on taupe and have loved the car! Here are the problems I have experienced and my complaints...

The area where the headliner and the b pillar between the driver door and rear door comes and goes... I haven't let them mess with it.

The AC makes a shrieking noise often and the dealer duplicated it, but has no idea what to do about it.

I wear slacks to work every day and rarely wear jeans, yet my taupe leather on my driver seat is blue. I wear Rock and Republic jeans, and the dealer now can't get the blue out. This is probably my least favorite thing about the car. My 2008 TL Type S had taupe leather and never changed colors in all the years I drove the car. My jeans have stayed the same. I would recommend the black leather, I just hate an interior with no color contrast. Oh and might I mention that I have had the car for three months and only have 1500 miles.

Does anyone else get a rattly rear view mirror?

PROS: I get ASKED everywhere what the car is and they all think it is a beautiful car. I love driving it and the utility is awesome. I am glad I did not get the tech package, The $4,000 in savings has now finished my 1,000 square foot basement. I am 80/20 city/highway and am getting 26.9 mpg. I am a conservative driver most of the time.

Personally I think the TSX wagon is beautiful, but the leather does feel cheap to be honest and PLEASE can you put real leather on the center console! The plastic wood on the center console also scratches so EASY.