Ordering a 2011 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering a 2011 TSX

Hey guys, finally decided to jump in and post something after just reading for quite a while. Just wanted to share my experiences in trying to order a 2011 TSX.

I know Acura/Honda hasn't officially posted any information about pricing or looks but from what I've read on here there are just a few minor changes occurring on next year's model.

Anyway, just wanted your guy's input on my experience with the dealer so far. They have been telling me that I can't order a car for the next week or so. The guy I've been dealing with also says that when you special order a car, you have to pay MSRP for that vehicle. This rubs me the wrong way. I've heard of people paying 29-30k for a 2010 6sp with tech. Which is well below MSRP.

This is my second time purchasing a car with my own money. I don't wanna get taken for a ride like I did with my first purchase (17,000 Honda purchased for 21,000). Anyway, any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
My opinion: you will always get a better deal negotiating for a car that is sitting on the lot than one that they ordered for you. In this case where they don't even have any pricing info for the car, you will be paying MSRP and plus all the gimmicky fees that the dealers in your area charge. I would wait until they get some in stock and then try negotiating.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Cast a wide net with online quotes with every dealer within a 100 (or more) mile radius. Be prepared to ask for a specific price for a specific car and then get a "we have that" as a standard response only to find out that they can order it or trade for it. Be patient and followup with specific questions (ask for proof they have the car).

Don't even bother leaving the house until you have the purchase agreement in writing and signed by the sales manager.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
acura in canada is offereing 4500$ back from factory on 2010 but limited on colours plus u can still negotiate after that price which i did. fyi
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sky82
acura in canada is offereing 4500$ back from factory on 2010 but limited on colours plus u can still negotiate after that price which i did. fyi

I figured I'm going to end up paying quite a bit closer to MSRP for the 2011. I think it will be worth the wait and the price seeing as the upgrade navi screen and HDD based system is coming to the 2011.

Isn't the goal to get my price as close to the dealer's invoice from Acura as possible?

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ra_TSX/prices/

Looks like invoice on 2010 is 30,202 with people on average paying 30,532. I'm going to try and get right around that cost. Has anyone gotten any quotes from dealers on 2011s? Or do we have any actual Acura salesmen on the board?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Racer

I special ordered 2011 BMW paying 500 over invoice.... try amex car buying service, the price they offer is very reasonable
Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should be paying closer to invoice price when ordering. The dealership hardly has any cost associated to an order.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I am planning to replace my 06 tsx next June with a 2011 tsx. The last time I talked to the acura sales manager (about 2 weeks ago) he told me they did not have any official news on it and when they did he would let me know. Since we are friends I trust him.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
If you can wait, do so. Wait until the car is out a few months and watch Edmunds.com for the current incentives. Dealers can dealer trade for a specific color combo or be prepared to go to the dealer that has the car you want. Don't pay sticker though!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What do you guys mean "order"?
You meant to order a brand new car that not on the dealer's lots?

Up here, in MA, maybe just me, but I thought either we have to pay at the MSRP price for that or must negotiate for cars that currently on the lot.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by pinatubo
What do you guys mean "order"?
You meant to order a brand new car that not on the dealer's lots?

Up here, in MA, maybe just me, but I thought either we have to pay at the MSRP price for that or must negotiate for cars that currently on the lot.
I think it is just you, lol. You can negotiate the price of the vehicle below MSRP whether ordering or buying off the lot. Dealers may typically give you a better deal to move the car off the lot.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Racer

You can do whatever the heck the dealer lets you do. Its their money and their profit. Can't hurt to ask. But they aren't going to be serious unless they know that you're serious and you could be buying from them. Sometimes they won't even give you an honest low price if you're just "shopping". Ask for a certain price, get signatures, pay a deposit if you have to....be serious and they'll be serious back.

Invoice price is not really any determinate of real cost anyway. The goal is to get the lowest price through negotiating period, regardless of how your final cost compares to the published "invoice" price. Each dealer has different factors that go into them selling you a particular car at a particular time. Sometimes even two seemingly similar cars on the lot, they'll give you one lower than the one next to it. Shop around, find what you want, then talk and compare serious prices around different dealers. Invoice price doesn't mean anything if they all say no. lol
Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
BS - I ordered my wife's '08 TSX 6MT Nav in June '07 (rcvd Sept. 20, '07) and paid $300 over invoice. Take control of the situation - let them know it won't be on their lot for more than one day (dealer prep) so no additional taxes they will need to pay.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by katmai
...Ask for a certain price, get signatures, pay a deposit if you have to....be serious and they'll be serious back.
Question for you, katmai as well as for others.
If you're serious, you were on the phone with them, negotiating the price, came to agreement, you gave the dealer's manager your credit card # as he asked for, to hold the car until you arrived there. A day or two later, you came over, and the manager said sorry, his dealer sold that car for higher price and asked you to select the other vehicles in the lot, which maybe in different color, different mileage, ...
What would you guy do?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Question for you, katmai as well as for others.
If you're serious, you were on the phone with them, negotiating the price, came to agreement, you gave the dealer's manager your credit card # as he asked for, to hold the car until you arrived there. A day or two later, you came over, and the manager said sorry, his dealer sold that car for higher price and asked you to select the other vehicles in the lot, which maybe in different color, different mileage, ...
What would you guy do?
If they actually charged my credit card, I'd be quite upset. Probably irate. I'd give them about 15 minutes to "make it right". At a minimum, that should be them finding the exact same car and knocking off more money or at least tossing in some free accessories. Anything short of that and I would demand an immediate refund, file a complaint with the BBB, and contact Acura HQ. I would then proceed to a competing dealership and tell them what it will take for them to earn your business.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Racer

I've never actually bought a car over the phone. I know it can be done but usually they ask you to come in, and personally I prefer to talk to them that way.

About a deposit...generally you shouldn't need one. If you do, obviously don't give them money or a credit card number for sure without getting something...a promissory note with a VIN#, "I owe you" form with signatures...different dealers do different things, but they always have some paperwork to go with it. Reputable dealers and salespeople know you aren't going to give them money without getting something in return. The few times I've had something owed to me from the dealer, they always had some kind of form typed or handwritten without me asking that stated exactly what was owed to me and when (and vice versa). Just read it carefully and make sure everything is stated exactly as it should be.

Well, my point was every dealer is different. Some will do deposits, some will just have order paperwork, some will do all the paperwork including financing assuming they know a VIN without actually having the car yet. It just depends. The only way to know for sure is to tell the dealer what you want, and they will tell you what they want/can do for you. You can only find out by talking to them. They WANT to sell you a car, whether its sitting on their lot or not. The only question is whats in it for them!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Asking the dealer to order a TSX is not really the way Honda works. Unlike BMW or some other maker with many options available, they don't build to your request, they simply wait for a color to come on for the type of TSX you want, or trade with another local dealer. As for telling you that 'ordering' a specific car will make you pay MSRP, he is simply BS'ing you. But you are trying to order a car for which the dealer has no pricing info to base his offer on. So MSRP is what they know for now. Wait until the car shows up on the lot, find one that you want and go to the dealer in person, with loan or cash in hand, and deal. Once they realize you are serious they will get to the market price. On the 2011 you may have to pay a little more until all the 10's are gone and the price has stabilized, but not much more.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Chewbach
If they actually charged my credit card, I'd be quite upset. Probably irate. I'd give them about 15 minutes to "make it right". At a minimum, that should be them finding the exact same car and knocking off more money or at least tossing in some free accessories. Anything short of that and I would demand an immediate refund, file a complaint with the BBB, and contact Acura HQ. I would then proceed to a competing dealership and tell them what it will take for them to earn your business.
They actually did not charge my CC yet, I guess they sold the car b4 pending my charge. That's what the manager said "I did not charge your CC", so what the point of taking my cc info?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by katmai
I've never actually bought a car over the phone. I know it can be done but usually they ask you to come in, and personally I prefer to talk to them that way.

About a deposit...generally you shouldn't need one. If you do, obviously don't give them money or a credit card number for sure without getting something...a promissory note with a VIN#, "I owe you" form with signatures...different dealers do different things, but they always have some paperwork to go with it. Reputable dealers and salespeople know you aren't going to give them money without getting something in return. The few times I've had something owed to me from the dealer, they always had some kind of form typed or handwritten without me asking that stated exactly what was owed to me and when (and vice versa). Just read it carefully and make sure everything is stated exactly as it should be.

Well, my point was every dealer is different. Some will do deposits, some will just have order paperwork, some will do all the paperwork including financing assuming they know a VIN without actually having the car yet. It just depends. The only way to know for sure is to tell the dealer what you want, and they will tell you what they want/can do for you. You can only find out by talking to them. They WANT to sell you a car, whether its sitting on their lot or not. The only question is whats in it for them!
In order to save a trip to those dealers, I usually negotiate over the phone b4 getting in there. Of course they always want us to be there in person.
About deposit, yes, I know, I deal with many other dealers in the regions, thing is if I don't like the price, I walked away and of course I didn't give them the cc info but at some dealers that they actually gave a deal, meaning better price which I like, I then feel like holding the blade, not the handle anymore, like in my specific case, after came to the agreement, which I was sure like, he kept nailing me down "I need $500 deposit, paid by CC NOW" "in the next 30 seconds, I need $500 deposit, otherwise, done, we never be back" and after I gave him my cc, he happily said "congratulation, the car is yours, give me a call whenever you plan to stop by"
Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Asking the dealer to order a TSX is not really the way Honda works. Unlike BMW or some other maker with many options available, they don't build to your request, they simply wait for a color to come on for the type of TSX you want, or trade with another local dealer. As for telling you that 'ordering' a specific car will make you pay MSRP, he is simply BS'ing you. But you are trying to order a car for which the dealer has no pricing info to base his offer on. So MSRP is what they know for now. Wait until the car shows up on the lot, find one that you want and go to the dealer in person, with loan or cash in hand, and deal. Once they realize you are serious they will get to the market price. On the 2011 you may have to pay a little more until all the 10's are gone and the price has stabilized, but not much more.
Then, it isn't "ordering" but "negotiating" car that currently on the lot.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The dealer can charge whatever they want to charge. It's not unheard of for some to charge over MSRP for really popular cars, especially ones that first come out.

You are not likely to get the same deal on a 2011 as a 2010. It's not rocket science. This is especially true since the 2011s aren't even on the lots yet. They will always want to sell something off their lot and you will get a better deal that way. Why don't you just wait for the 2011s to get to the lots? You still probably won't get as good of a deal as a 2010, but you'll have a better chance of paying less than MSRP.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Racer

I would just wait for 2011s to show up on lots. Its much more advantageous for you that way.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Advanced

They actually did not charge my CC yet, I guess they sold the car b4 pending my charge. That's what the manager said "I did not charge your CC", so what the point of taking my cc info?
I would proceed to take my business to a different dealer. They don't deserve your business.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Chewbach
I would proceed to take my business to a different dealer. They don't deserve your business.
Of course, I didn't buy my TSX from them, I bought from a dealer closer to home but cost $200 more.