The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:23 AM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so rumor is i4w/ turbo..And a v-6..if so, which is going to be the type-s?

and mann..i cant wait for the price to be announced
Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

We (at our dealership) dont think their will be a type-s. It would compete too much with the base TL. The diesal and V6 probably wont arrive until 2009 as an '10 model. We were able to order a 6-speed so we know that is available.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by icecold0027
We (at our dealership) dont think their will be a type-s. It would compete too much with the base TL. The diesal and V6 probably wont arrive until 2009 as an '10 model. We were able to order a 6-speed so we know that is available.
http://www.autonews.com/

DETROIT AUTO SHOW

New Acura TSX will get a diesel

Honda's first U.S. diesel engine will debut next year on Acura's redesigned TSX sedan. At the auto show here, CEO Takeo Fukui announced that Honda Motor Corp.'s new clean diesel will appear first on an Acura. He did not say which vehicle, but Honda sources say it will be the TSX. [SUB]

12:01 am U.S. ET | Jan.21
Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bgriffin
http://www.autonews.com/

DETROIT AUTO SHOW

New Acura TSX will get a diesel

Honda's first U.S. diesel engine will debut next year on Acura's redesigned TSX sedan. At the auto show here, CEO Takeo Fukui announced that Honda Motor Corp.'s new clean diesel will appear first on an Acura. He did not say which vehicle, but Honda sources say it will be the TSX. [SUB]

12:01 am U.S. ET | Jan.21
Definately saw that. I hope the diesal comes in for '09 but were getting reports that it won't be introducted right away.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
yes thanks Colin
right. You are to only source from which we got some REAL informations.
thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Definately saw that. I hope the diesal comes in for '09 but were getting reports that it won't be introducted right away.
I like the idea of Honda having an extra year to test the diesel before its release to make sure all of the problems are worked out. I don't think I will buy it though, because it won't be as rev-happy as the gas powered version.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bgriffin
I like the idea of Honda having an extra year to test the diesel before its release to make sure all of the problems are worked out. I don't think I will buy it though, because it won't be as rev-happy as the gas powered version.
AGREED
Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

autoblog from www.autonews.com

We've already been introduced to Honda's new i-DTEC clean diesel and, as expected, it will be finding its way into the next generation TSX sometime in 2009. The inclusion of the 2.2-liter diesel will follow the redesign of Acura's entry-level sedan sometime this spring, with the i-DTEC-equipped model initially debuting in Europe (in the Euro Accord) and eventually finding its way into the RDX crossover later next year. A V6 diesel is also expected to arrive sometime in 2010.

A new TL will debut later this year and the TSX replacement may also come equipped with the turbocharged four found in the RDX when it goes on sale this summer.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by krio
autoblog from www.autonews.com

We've already been introduced to Honda's new i-DTEC clean diesel and, as expected, it will be finding its way into the next generation TSX sometime in 2009. The inclusion of the 2.2-liter diesel will follow the redesign of Acura's entry-level sedan sometime this spring, with the i-DTEC-equipped model initially debuting in Europe (in the Euro Accord) and eventually finding its way into the RDX crossover later next year. A V6 diesel is also expected to arrive sometime in 2010.

A new TL will debut later this year and the TSX replacement may also come equipped with the turbocharged four found in the RDX when it goes on sale this summer.
I would love a turbo. If there is a turbo option, I will get a second job just to get one.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

The 3.2 (or similar) will likely go into the TSX. The 2.3 Turbo is just speculation (although that would be sweet). With the 2.4 and the DTEC already confirmed, it would be unlikely for them to offer the 2.3 Turbo and a V6.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Is Acura scheduled to reveal the TSX at NAIAS?

If so, when can we expect it? Anyone at or going to the show this week?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cmschmie

No. It'll be in March, most likely.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

The RL is supposed to be unvailed at the Chicago auto show...The TSX in New York...Supposedly that is.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

woah that show's started already for a couple days...defintely no reveal.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Pro

holy crap 3 replies in lightning speed. there's a lot of people waiting for this damn information
Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
woah that show's started already for a couple days...defintely no reveal.
So any "reveals" at NAIAS are done during press week not the "regular" show?

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
No. It'll be in March, most likely.
The RL is supposed to be unvailed at the Chicago auto show...The TSX in New York...Supposedly that is.
Then why the hell am I looking at this thread now? See ya in 3 months!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
So any "reveals" at NAIAS are done during press week not the "regular" show?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:34 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-ts...-up-scale.html

At this year's North American International Auto Show, Honda CEO Takeo Fukui announced that the Japanese automaker would launch its first U.S. clean diesel in an Acura model next year. However, Fukui failed to mention which model would receive diesel-power. But Honda officials announced today that the next-generation TSX will have a diesel option, slated to hit our shores in 2009.

The TSX seemed like a likely candidate for diesel power as it is basically the Euro-spec Honda Accord — a vehicle that will hit European showrooms this summer with a diesel option. Honda's new 2.2L i-DETC four-cylinder will power both vehicles.

Honda will also launch a V6 clean diesel in 2010, which will likely see duty in the Acura TL and MDX. The Honda Pilot could also use a version of the engine.

"All along, we've said there would be a diesel in Acura," Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor told Automotive News.

Acura heads upmarket

The diesel announcement is part of a broader effort to move Acura upmarket.

Colliver said the aim is to "separate Acura and Honda more." He estimated in six years, Acura will be a "tier 1" luxury automaker like BMW or Mercedes.

An Acura designer claimed last year the company plans to rival Bentley and Maybach.

Despite a down year for Acura in 2007 — sales slipped 10.5 percent to just 180,104 units — Collier is optimistic about the future of the brand. "We get the TSX in the spring and the new TL in the fall," he said. He made it clear Acura expected 2007 to be tough, since much of the model line was aging.

To compete with BMW, Acura needs to redesign models, add more crossovers, and launch an "image car," Collier said.The NSX will presumably be the brand's image car, but its launch has been delayed and it remains unclear when the supercar will make its official debut.

Collier also addressed the weak sales of Acura's range-topping RL sedan, saying that it was the "wrong car" for the segment. A new RL is slated to bow in 2010, and Collier revealed that the car's overall direction will change.
Sorry if this was posted already but the diesel going to the TSX rumor is now official.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
How the hell should I know what it looks like? Do you think I'm holding out on you? Honestly, the whole attitude stinks. I don't have advanced information. I post what are confirmed facts as we learn them. If I post speculation I list it as such.

There are 280+ Acura dealerships with how many sales consultants at each. This forum is sponsored by a dealership, they have the same color info, same ordering info, but I'm the only one posting this information. Apparently wackura had confirmed info that 6-speeds were on the way and that orders had been placed for March production. I must have missed this.

I'm sorry if its not enough and its not appreciated. I can tell you this, if I do get a 2009 TSX, I'll be the first in the country to have one cause they drop the cars here in Hawaii before the head the mainland. I guess I won't bother post that info either. Unsubscribing from this thread now.

Your the man Colin.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by dom
Sorry if this was posted already but the diesel going to the TSX rumor is now official.
At least now the TSX will get some torque
Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by BillDCH
Colin's got the same info that we have right now. (I work at DCH Heart Acura in upstate NY) We're told that the C4 Concept is, and I quote, "What the 09 TSX will be based on".

We can't order the 09 TSXs yet last I checked and we have NO PROOF that there will be a 6-speed. The ONLY new '09 MY ordering info we have is on the new RLs and we still have plenty of 08 TSXs in transit from Saitama. I also agree that it's nice of Colin to post this info on here and to bear in mind that Acura can tell us all sorts of stuff but when the cars actually show that it can be different.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I saw mentioned about one thing that has always really driven me nuts as a long time Acura owner. That is the thought that a TSX with a V6 and or some other TL-like performance characteristic in a smaller chassis somehow threatens the TL. This is an old comparison, but does BMW care about the 335 and how it threatens the entry level 528i? Acura has to find a way to make room for two full complements of sedans in the TL and TSX and 2 versions of each (call it base and Type S if they like).

Because I sure did like my '05 TL ... but I think I would be a prime buyer for a TSX (slightly smaller than the TL) Type S.

I think between this and the adoption of of SH-AWD models between the Acura sedan and cross-over markets will significantly push Acura in the to the 25-40K sedan/crossover market because as we have seen ... Acura CAN and will price smartly.

In either case ... the start has to be a smokin' TSX refresh with the TL to follow right behind

Point #2 - Can someone take a stab at helping understand the strong draw to a diesel TSX? I am missing something I guess - is it just about MPG (nothing wrong with that or is there more to it? I have been i a few diesel's and really not sure the fun to drive factor is there for me vs. say the RDX engine (turbo) which put in a different implementation (think Volvo/Audi) can yield good MPG and weight benefits vs. normal I4 / V6 options. Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Instructor

^^^ As far as I know, and what I understand, is that diesel engines are known for nearly instant [max] torque output and for their great fuel efficiency compared to petrol engines. Acceleration is a slightly different story, I wonder how that will fair with a diesel... I hope they improve it!

The TSX would rock if it did 0-60 in 5.5 to 6 seconds (quick, but not fast) and averaged 25-35mpg in the city and 35-45mpg on the highway.

If it's FWD with the rumored 180hp/325ftlbs... holy torque steer.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Just02
The TSX would rock if it did 0-60 in 5.5 to 6 seconds (quick, but not fast) and averaged 25-35mpg in the city and 35-45mpg on the highway.
This is what I am talking about ... get the TSX some straight line speed with a smart / lightweight engine (3.0L V6, RDX engine tuned, whatever) in the Type S model and here comes a whole new group of buyers.

The problem (in theory) is can this do this with the FWD application oooorrr since SH-AWD is available can they add the necessary power to drive the weight of a phenominal AWD system in a mid-size sedan for around $35K? I think
Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

P.S. Dom .... you KNOW you'd trade in your TSX for that Type S - come oooon dude HAHA
Old 01-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think so as Jeff on vtec reported the news embargo date (actually date not given) for the TSX is after the show and intro date is April 24th. If it works out this way, I am going to be bummed.

TL Concept is likely at New York though.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by provench

Point #2 - Can someone take a stab at helping understand the strong draw to a diesel TSX? I am missing something I guess - is it just about MPG (nothing wrong with that or is there more to it? I have been i a few diesel's and really not sure the fun to drive factor is there for me vs. say the RDX engine (turbo) which put in a different implementation (think Volvo/Audi) can yield good MPG and weight benefits vs. normal I4 / V6 options. Thoughts?

1) Maybe Acura wants to begin official selling in Europe (I do hope so!), after Infiniti. And they need of corse diesel engines.

2) Fuel is ending. Help!!!!

3) The 2.2 diesel engine of the european Accord is very much praised in Europe.

4) I don't know.

....I should understand if Acura, as Audi or BMW, introduced a V6 diesel for the MDX or for the RL (better Nm and fuel consumption) . Why for the TSX?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

P.S. Dom .... you KNOW you'd trade in your TSX for that Type S - come oooon dude HAHA

I wish.

Just bought the wife an 07 Odyssey so no new TSX for me for a few years at least.

I wish I could trade cars in every 6 months like some people.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

It sounds like Acura is introducing the new TSX in stages between the 4 cylinder, diesel and rumored V6/AWD model. This sounds like a good idea because it will allow the new TL to come out and move up in price/power/etc. without stepping in its toes and keep interest up for the TSX by continually having something new to introduce. Very BMW like too.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
Your the man Colin.
Yes, thanks for Colin for all his info. I hope he hasn't been run off.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Instructor

April 24th? That's forever and an eternity. haha
Old 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

I saw mentioned about one thing that has always really driven me nuts as a long time Acura owner. That is the thought that a TSX with a V6 and or some other TL-like performance characteristic in a smaller chassis somehow threatens the TL. This is an old comparison, but does BMW care about the 335 and how it threatens the entry level 528i? Acura has to find a way to make room for two full complements of sedans in the TL and TSX and 2 versions of each (call it base and Type S if they like).

Because I sure did like my '05 TL ... but I think I would be a prime buyer for a TSX (slightly smaller than the TL) Type S.

I think between this and the adoption of of SH-AWD models between the Acura sedan and cross-over markets will significantly push Acura in the to the 25-40K sedan/crossover market because as we have seen ... Acura CAN and will price smartly.

In either case ... the start has to be a smokin' TSX refresh with the TL to follow right behind

Better MPG is the driving force for me. I want excellent fuel efficiency, but in a package that has luxury features in a smaller car. I don't want a Civic (too small and not enough luxury). Diesel TSX = perfect. I just hope they don't screw it up somehow.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

A diesel TSX would be perfect for us city dwellers. I know I am in the minority as my normal driving is 99% city where I might get up to 40 mph on a good day. You gotta love LA. LOL. The diesel would offer me low end torque vs. the current high end power and hopefully better fuel economy. I currently get about 15 mph unless I can hit the highway. If I can improve that to the low 20's and get torque right off the bat that solves 2 birds with 1 stone for me.

I would miss the sound and feel when the tach passes 6000 RPM, but that is so few and far between for me I'd be willing to make the trade off.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Tell me about it. That is almost 2 dog years.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JeffS
my normal driving is 99% city where I might get up to 40 mph on a good day. You gotta love LA.
when I was there it was kinda fun getting out to the canyons though. Is Angeles Crest still closed?
Old 01-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by wackura
Supposing a fully loaded Accord costs roughly similar to a TSX, what makes the Accord any less of a luxury car? Is the name tag making all the difference for you? We're not getting a free lunch with this car - indeed there's no such thing.
its the quality of products that differ from honda/acura that makes the diff. BTW Accord and TSX are totally two different cars. Compare apples to apples...
Accord to TL.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah...especially when your current lease ends on April 16th!!! Gonna try to extend if necessary but hopefully we will have seen some pics before then.

If I wind up not liking the '09, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a hell of a deal on a '08.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
I wish.

Just bought the wife an 07 Odyssey so no new TSX for me for a few years at least.

I wish I could trade cars in every 6 months like some people.
Lease helps me jump a bit ... no doubt, but some of my moves I wouldn't recommend to anyone ($2-3K -> black hole ... don't plan to repeat those moves).

Can understand the '07 Ody ... my wife just got her 3rd Odyssey and for some reason we keep coming back only to have more than normal (in my eyes) problems for a Honda ... my Accord has been ROCK solid so far.

On the diesel debate ..

1) Is "clean" diesel better for air pollution vs. the current 2.4L in the TSX?
2) How noisy are the current gen Diesels? My brother has a MB crossover/SUV and it still sounds kind noisy and last I looked it was one of the HIGHEST on carbon emissions !!
3) If 40MPG is the reason ... vs. Hybrid especially for city drivers? This is likely a whole new thread on the failings of Honda's application of its Hybrid technology on its mid-size sedans

I am all for diversity ... and certainly understand the European angle, but it seems to me I'd rather see Honda pushing hybrid/electric technology faster ... oh well.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
its the quality of products that differ from honda/acura that makes the diff. BTW Accord and TSX are totally two different cars. Compare apples to apples...
Accord to TL.
I am not sure about quality ... I'd put Honda/Acura differences more in the area of technology (1st to get VSA, SH-AWD, ELS sound system, bluetooth, etc.) and longer warranty for Acura with the latter being a huge factor. As someone who leases a 48-month lease on the Acura makes a TON of sense because it matches with the warranty of the car and the same logic might go for someone deciding on total length of non-warranty ownership.

With all that being said ... I think what I would expect from the '09 TSX AND TL is a lot of new technology. To be honest this new technology (hopefully in the drive train) is what I am excited about ... SH-AWD + V6 in Honda's mid-size sedans is a HUGE move and to go with that I am sure Acura has some interior gadgets (current MDX likely gives us clues) up their sleeves ... they always do for major redesigns.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Honda's diesel is supposedly as clean as regular petrol cars. It will also be approved for sale in all 50 states, as opposed to previous diesels from MB and VW not being allowed in CA, MA, and a few other states.

Also, Honda's beef with hybrids is that they are not very profitable. There was an article linked a couple pages back that said diesels are already profitable, whereas hybrids are not.

We shall see. I'll be visiting www.fueleconomy.gov to compare mpg and emissions between cars, just like I did the last time I was car shopping.

Quick Reply: The Official 2009 TSX Thread **Unvelied in NY**