Need some opinions/options

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008 | 05:45 PM
Advanced

Need some opinions/options

A few weeks ago I posted pretty favorably about a test drive of the new TSX. After reading a lot more, I am really torn. The edmunds review really shed light on a lot of negatives (steering, performance, braking) as well as comments from people on here make me wonder if I didn't have enough time with the car. I would like to take a demo out for a whole day so hopefully can do that soon.

As far as the TSX, I want to get a car that has atleast 200HP and ideally one that gets atleast 28+ mpg on the highway with about 20+ in the city. I currently have a V6 Accord so would most likely be looking to downgrade a bit, my highway economy is about 27 and from what I understand the TSX can get 34. I don't need the 250HP but I guess I'd be willing to take it, I just think the difference between 27 and 34 mpg is pretty significant.
I enjoy cars that are fun to drive and I actually like driving in my Accord V6 and enjoyed the feel of an old Volvo 850. Both cars (especially the Volvo) had tight steering and tight pedal feel. I definitely wasn't a fan of the new TSX's steering. I need to get a car soon, but it could perhaps wait until the end of the year.

I am out of options though when looking at cars, I'd prefer to get a Japanese car. The German cars generally have poor reliability not to mention poor fuel economy. Those two things are dealbreakers. I like the reliability of Hondas. Also compared to the 2008 TSX the interior is IMO much better on the new one. RWD is also not an option as we get some pretty bad winters in the DC area. I wouldn't want to spend more than 35K.

A few questions: Are the brakes as poor as Edmunds review said?
What are some other options for me to consider? It seems like I find faults with everything, the G35 (too much HP, low fuel econ), IS250 (less performance, pricey with options).
Is there anyway Acura can rectify the steering on current year models? Since it's electronic I thought maybe they can alter some settings? Would they be likely to change that for next year?

Thanks very much for your help. This site has been extremely useful!
Old 05-16-2008 | 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by terpfan29
Are the brakes as poor as Edmunds review said?

Is there anyway Acura can rectify the steering on current year models?
Somehow I doubt the brakes are that bad. Maybe someone cooked the brakes on their press model before they got it? The car is ~170 lbs heavier than the previous model and has larger rear brakes than previously. The front discs are the same as used on other Acuras like the TL and RDX. Both of these weigh more.

The S2000 has similarly light steering and I had often wondered if it could be modded. No such mods ever appeared over the last 8 years so I'm guessing its either too hard, or too much liability.
Old 05-16-2008 | 06:22 PM
Racer

The steering really isn't as bad as these reviewers make it to be. While I did like the tighter steering at low speeds in my 05, at higher speeds the 09's steering feels quite similar, although a bit edgier than my 05. The 09 can handle just as well, but the tires have a little more sidewall now so that will influence the handling negatively in comparison to the 05. It will be interesting to see what the people with 18" and larger rims have to say about how lower profile tires affect the steering/suspension.
As for performance, I found the 09 to be more than adequate for my daily driving and still have enough oomph to have some fun here and there. The car I drove only had around 450 miles when I took it a for test drive one weekend, but had around 730 when I returned it. Keep in mind once the engine is properly broken in, the car's performance may be somewhat improved over what it was when you drove it off the lot (and your mpg will probably be better as well). I'd be curious to know how many miles were on the cars these reviewers drove as a new engine needs a little breaking in time before reaching its full potential.
The comment Edmunds made about the brakes was a little off in my opinion, but I don't usually take my car out and do 3 consecutive 60-0 runs either though... I found the 09s brakes to have better feel than my 05s do, and provide just as much stopping power if not more. In fact I just looked it up as I was writing this. For the 2004 TSX 60-0 braking is 128 feet, for 2009 it's 127 feet (all according to Edmunds reviews). So with the extra width, length and weight overall, the brakes on the 09 are right on par with the 1st gen.
In my opinion you need to take the car out again for a long test drive. Ask the dealer if you can take the demo car out for a bit so you can get a good feel for it. If they don't let you... find another dealer. Don't let the reviews make up your mind for you though, your opinion about the car is what matters because you will be the one driving it every day.
Old 05-16-2008 | 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

I haven't driven the '09, so I can't say for sure how the steering, brakes, or performance are. However, from what I read on AZ in general, Honda and Acura could use better brakes on their cars. Fortunately, this is easily rectified with a few minutes spent on Tire Rack, that is, if you find the brakes to really need an upgrade.

The steering and performance are two areas you're going to have to decide for yourself if you can deal with them. Only you can know if you're going to need more power, or be happy with that the '09 offers. I guess it is always possible that if they receive enough complaints, maybe Acura will tweak the steering, but I kind of doubt it.

At any rate, if you can hold off on buying the car now, I'd wait and see what engine options are available next year. The diesel is definitely coming, and there have been a lot of rumors of a V6. Of course, fuel economy will likely suffer with the V6, though. So, it's up to you to decide what you want. I4 = fuel economy, or [possible] V6 = performance. It would be nice if Acura would release some info on their plans so people can make some decisions.
Old 05-16-2008 | 08:29 PM
Intermediate

The guys from Edmunds drive Porsches, EVO's, then the new M3, then they get in TSX all in the same day, of course the TSX will feel like crap compared to those cars. Am I serious, no, but you get the point, the TSX is not designed to be the great performer/track car/tunable car everyone here would like think so. Take it from a guy who has already had 2 EVO's, and STi, a G35 Coupe 6MT, and the list goes on.........why would I want to buy such a horrible car? The car does exactly what it is supppose to do, what it is designed for, to COMMUTE in a luxury type atmosphere and to get spirited when need be. I have noticed no brakes issues with the car, they work very well, they have reacted spot on for me a few times already. The sterring to me is responsive, is it responsive like my Evo, no, but it handles very smooth and is responsive to my needs. The car is very planted and feels very solid. I'm getting 28 mpgs a gallon mixed and yes 33+ when cruising on the highway. That is why I bought the car, in todays gas market who is jumping from stop light to stop light anymore trying to beat WRX's. (Ok, well I have noticed some 16 year old's around here).

I have enjoyed every minute in the car.
Old 05-16-2008 | 08:48 PM
Advanced

Thanks everyone for your comments, I will definitely ask to take the car for a longer test drive. When really thinking about all of my other options, I really came to realize that other than the TSX, the IS250 is the only other thing I think is up there with it. So then I started to think harder about the 08 or 07 TSX. I'll definitely test drive again and maybe do a bit more comparisons on the two.
Old 05-19-2008 | 10:05 PM
Advanced

We had a 2000 Honda Accord V-6 that we sold prior to purchasing the 08 TSX. We feel it's an upgrade all around. It's engine has more horses than our 2000 V6 and so far we're averaging 30-32 mpg.

It has power to spare for life in the fast lane.

Feel free to ask me anything else TSX-AccordV6 related.

Walt
Old 05-20-2008 | 07:20 AM
Racer

terpfan29....I wouldn't worry too much about some of the negative comments from some of the reviewers. Like some have mentioned, these guys test all kinds of cars and their views can be tainted sometimes. What matters is how you feel about the car. Truth of the matter is that Acura/Honda build excellent and reliable cars and there is no evidence to suggest this TSX is anything different. I have an 06 and will be getting my 09 in the next few weeks. Did reading some negative comments worry me...YES...did it stop me from buying one...No....why? Well, if you notice, alot of people are starting to say that the 2nd generation is growing on them. At think people's expectation were too high and their disatisfaction with the car is based on the lack of HP and AWD which are valid points. That point aside, the car is roomier, has more efficient torque (as an automatic user, I like the 09 torque curve better) and IMO, looks better (except the grill which I wish was different). So take it for another spin, and don't worry about what people say but what YOU FEEL....and have fun!!
Old 05-20-2008 | 07:24 AM
Racer

terpfan29...With respect to the IS250, I was considering getting one too (my list of cars I was considering) but the test drive did not excite me at all. I am not sure what is your size but I am slim and found the cabin tight, very tight!! In fact I would bump my hand on the handle (in the ceiling) when I would try to look back as I did a lane change. The V6 is NO FUN at all, very sluggish even when in manual mode, the 350 is different but the 250 pretty boring. So that is why a V6 is not always the solution. The IS does feel more luxurious inside and I did like the option of the gated shifter OR the paddles (unlike the TSx that has only the paddles) but do a comparison one after the other (as I did) and you will like the TSX better...at least I did.
Old 05-20-2008 | 02:07 PM
Advanced

A quick comment about reviews: I think most of the professional reviewers were comparing the 09 TSX to the last gen TSX rather than a Porsche or M3. What I got from all the reviews I read is that the 09 TSX is a downgrade in terms of sportiness while improving features and comfort.
Old 05-20-2008 | 05:50 PM
Banned

I am no fan of Edmunds' reviews. They gave a bad review of the '04 TSX if I remember correctly. I think you should trust your own review (i.e., your test drive) over anything you read.
As for the brakes, I recommend upgrading the wheels and tires. I have 18" wheels on my '04 TSX, and the biggest improvement I noticed was in braking.
If you are concerned about the steering, be sure to test drive an '08. The steering on the 1st gen TSX's is the best feature of the car. You should be able to get a great deal on an 08!
Old 05-22-2008 | 02:37 AM
Banned

Angry cheap runescape gold for sale

[size=12pt]Dear Runescaper,[/size]
[size=12pt][/size]
[size=12pt]Have a good day to you![/size]
[size=12pt][/size]
[size=12pt]Looking somewhere to buy RS2 gold or power-leveling? [/size]

[size=12pt]We have been to a professional, loyal and reliable RS2 gold store on-line[/size][size=12pt],[/size][size=12pt]and also power-leveling seller for many years. You will find it is the best way to buy RS2 gold or leveling; you will really get what you want. This is your chance for you to buy RS2 gold and leveling. Don’t be so chicken! Just come here and place an order to buy RS2 gold. We are ready now, how about you? Our site provide a unique way to trade in game although update in RS, and deliver the gold faster than other site whatever your account is member or not, welcome to visit our site www.gprunescape.com. Why not have a try? You will like it and enjoy here.[/size]
[size=12pt][/size]
[size=12pt]Thank you for your attention.[/size]
[size=12pt][/size]
[size=12pt]Best Regards,[/size]
[size=12pt]GpRunescape.com Team[/size]
[size=12pt]Email: gprunescape.com@gmail.com[/size]
[size=12pt]Site: www.gprunescape.com[/size]
[size=12pt]Guide blog: http://www.gprunescape.com/runescape/ [/size]
[size=12pt][/size]
Old 05-23-2008 | 07:08 PM
Advanced

Iceman and others,

I did testdrive the 08 and 09 back to back. I thought the steering was better on the 08 but that was about it, IMO the interior is very boring in the 08 and looks nothing like a luxury car. The 09 isn't that luxurious in the same breath as Lexus or MB is, but its more stylish atleast. I'm torn I'm going to go testdrive again this weekend and see what I think. Hopefully take the 09 out for longer. I guess I could get a pretty good deal on a used 07 though.