Need help removing scuff mark on rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help removing scuff mark on rear bumper

A car bumped into the rear bumper of my 2011 TSX (Forged Silver Metallic) while I stopped at a red light a few days ago. At first, the damage looked minor and I thought I could just buff off the scratches. However, when I got home, I noticed that some paint had been scratched off which I needed to touch up with the factory touchup paint. There was also a "scuff mark" that I could not remove with Quixx Paint Scratch Remover or the Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound as shown in the picture below. The "scuff mark" looked worse in person than in the picture. The "scuff mark" was lighter in color than the paint and it felt smooth. So it was not a scratch or a dent. Can someone suggest how I can remove this? Can I try to use a more aggressive rubbing compound?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:31 AM
PWP 2010 TSX

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a spot similar to the one the arrow is pointing at as well as the little knicks below it. I went to my local Honda dealership (Acura is 45mi away) and I had the mobile paint guy that touches things up for their used vehicles, do my paint unfortunates.

Of course, not all places will have one of these guys but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

He did a great job. I hit a brick wall backing up, he sanded it down, filled it, primed it, paint matched, clear coated. All for about 20 bucks which is much more worth it than touch up paint that won't come out smooth.

Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
wsxcde (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mind paying someone to do this. I contacted the Dent Pro Mobile in the SF Bay Area. He quoted me $175 to fix this. He said he would use factory touchup paint with brush. So, I don't know whether he would do a better job than myself. Any recommendation to paint touchup service in the SF Bay Area?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 AM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Shoulda gotten the guys insurance info, and claim for a full bumper replacement then got the aero bumper....over that little scuff. LOOOOOOL.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Yelp has good review of UStouchup San Jose. They are expensive than mobile touch but do very good. they are in touchup business and i believe couple of Acura deales down there sent there new and loaner vehicles for touchup.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/usa-touch-up...hop-san-jose-2
Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know this sounds silly, but when I was rear ended, I had a ton of scuff marks on my bumper that would not come off no matter how hard I scrubbed it with soap, so I decided to spray some WD-40 on it (not sure what made me think of this) and it came right off with a towel. Maybe you can try that or paint lacquer. I used paint lacquer my old car to get scuff marks out and it came off without damaging the factory paint or clear coat.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks really easy to take care of. Try using 3M Rubbing Compound. Put a small amount onto a microfiber towel and rub on the bumper. Use some force
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rx2010
I know this sounds silly, but when I was rear ended, I had a ton of scuff marks on my bumper that would not come off no matter how hard I scrubbed it with soap, so I decided to spray some WD-40 on it (not sure what made me think of this) and it came right off with a towel. Maybe you can try that or paint lacquer. I used paint lacquer my old car to get scuff marks out and it came off without damaging the factory paint or clear coat.
I can second using WD-40 to remove small scuffs/ marks. Some red car left a nasty (hit in run) mark on my old car in a parking lot. After getting home I sprayed the mark with WD-40 and let it soak for a couple minutes, then I wiped it with a paper towel and it came right off. However, I don't know how WD-40 will affect your paint later on, so use it at your own discretion.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
If you are going to tackle it yourself, go with what Supreme posted. A little compound and some force. You should be good with that. Now with the touch up paint, just go to the dealer and get you some touch up paint, the should give you a tiny brush too. That should do just as good unless they are going to blend it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
On my 1997 Accord EX Coupe, I got into a slight accident on the front bumper. I went to a sticker shop and bought one of those Euro country decals and slapped on it. I didn't even knew which country it represented.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:26 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
ACK!!! HOLY GEEZUS!!!

Please don't use RUBBING compound until you've tried POLISHING compound (3M FTW, BTW) first.

Rubbing is *very* abrasive and should be reserved for trenches in your paint, followed by a helluva lot of *polishing* compound to remove the scratches left by the rubbing compound.

(No offense Supreme.)

Originally Posted by Supreme
That looks really easy to take care of. Try using 3M Rubbing Compound. Put a small amount onto a microfiber towel and rub on the bumper. Use some force