My Time in a '12 SE

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Cool My Time in a '12 SE

My '09 Tech is in the shop getting some warranty work done (XM antennae/feeder cable replacement, driver's seat moving around, especially noticed while braking) and my loaner is a '12 Milano Red SE Auto. I figured I would share my thoughts/feelings/observations for those interested! Please keep in mind I have an '09 so those of you with later model years may not have had the same reactions:
  • I love the SE package exterior-wise, and definitely nice touches.
  • I love the red gauges, but I wish they would have made more (if not all) of the interior lighting red...I am thinking older Accord coupe style, for example.
  • I love the pedals.
  • The Suede seats are great! They are very comfortable and I can't lie, I loved the fact that my arse wasn't instantly freezing when I first touched the seat (and I am sure I would have a similar appreciation in the summer for the opposite reason!). They do seem as if they could get a little dirtier quicker if you don't stay on top of them, though.
  • Not having the Tech package does make the car feel a little less luxurious IMO however, for those who have followed my past comments on this subject, I am just so/so on the Tech package anymore...it's too bad you can't get the back up camera at least.
  • I quickly found that the Base sound system is fine for me. I would love to do a side by side comparison sometime, but I have this sneaking suspicion that the Base wouldn't be nearly as much of a "downgrade" as some may think.
  • The steering and overall feel of the car is WAY better than my '09. I can easily tell changes were made, and dare I say it is almost like driving a different car now.
  • I never knew just how bad my XM reception was until being in this car for an extended period of time...WOW! You would be shocked with just how bad mine had gotten, and I am very excited to have it working again soon! :-)

I think the SE is a nice package and I would definitely consider it. Factor in that you can't get a manual any other way, and it could be an easy sell for many...
The following users liked this post:
drivedata (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
the suede isnt hard to keep clean at all and i sometimes smoke in my car.
vacuum gets up everything.
dog hair is a pain in the ass at times but a rubber brush and a Schitky (the stuff vince offer sells lol)

i also pre-treated my interior with scotchguard auto the day i got it so no stains or anything yet.

i believe the ELS sound system has just 2 more speakers than what we have. i havent heard the ELS system but i cant imagine it being that much better.

overall, i dont regret my decision on the SE over a Tech of a V6 Tech.
i fell in LOVE with the suede interior and the aero kit.
after seeing the SE, the other TSXs just looked plain to me.

the only things i wish i had negotiated would be all weather floor mats (they did throw in a trunk mat), and a spoiler.

i would have absolutely loved it if you could get the SE with tech but my phone does a pretty good job of navigating when i need it and my ipod has a bigger HD than the one they put in the car anyway.

the back up cam is about the only thing i cant substitute and i can live without that.

im still on the fence about reactivating my XM.
i liked it and had it for years when i had my 05 accord but nowdays, i drive probably once or twice a week and just cant justify the cost of it.
i do miss listening to opie and anthony though
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Nice write up, OP!

Originally Posted by BobbyC
the suede isnt hard to keep clean at all and i sometimes smoke in my car.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Acura_Dude!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Agreed with most things, but the biggest difference is in the steering.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by CAgine
Agreed with most things, but the biggest difference is in the steering.
qft

the steering is very different between the 09 and 12.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyC
im still on the fence about reactivating my XM.
i liked it and had it for years when i had my 05 accord but nowdays, i drive probably once or twice a week and just cant justify the cost of it.
i do miss listening to opie and anthony though
Just wait about 6 months and they will send you letters offering you 6 months for 25 bucks. No activation fees.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
yea.. ive already got that letter.
still cant decide if its worth it.
i rarely drive since i work from home so id be paying to listen to it probably a hour a month.
if they threw in listening on the internet for free, id consider but for now, npr and podcasts are good enough for me.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Nice review. I have a 2010 base with 6MT, and got a base 2012 as a loaner back in May. It wasn't an SE, but I noticed the following upgrades over mine: (1) better console materials; (2) much quieter highway ride; and (3) lighter steering at parking lot speeds (felt identical on the highway). The quieter ride and nicer interior bits provided a more substantial, refined overall feel. I was surprised at the difference. I'd gladly trade my 2010 and a few grand for a 2012 SE with 6MT, but I'm afraid the gap would be too much... and of course I'm waiting to see what the TLX brings!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was told by the dealer that my 09 has a standard steering rack vs my 11 which has the electronic steering like what was in my EP3. Havent looked my self, but I do notice that our 09 seems a bit more touchy. The throttle is more touchy in the 09 too.

The Tech package sound system is much more clearer to me than my standard sound system I have in both our 09 and 11. However, I dont really strive to have the Tech package except for the backup camera. My phone GPS is just as good or even better than the Tech package and I find the controls much more complicated with the Tech package. Thats me tho.

I do love the look of the SE tho!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I totally agree re: the steering, and there is a huge difference!

I also forgot to mention that I really loved the black headliner in the SE.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanTSX
I was told by the dealer that my 09 has a standard steering rack vs my 11 which has the electronic steering like what was in my EP3. Havent looked my self, but I do notice that our 09 seems a bit more touchy.
All 2G TSX's have electrically assisted steering, but it's been changed at least twice. The 2009 model was criticized for poor path control, which is probably the "touchy" sensation you have, so it was tightened for 2010, and Acura advertised better "on center feel." Problem was, the assist dropped so much that some complained it was too heavy at low speeds, so at some later point it was tuned for less effort in the parking lot. I noticed this right away when I had the '12 as a loaner, but, as I said above, it felt identical to my '10 on the highway.

With this continuous evolution of the TSX's steering, I was really surprised that the ILX's steering seems to be back to square one. It's too light, and offers even less feedback IMO. (Much like the EPS in BMW's new 3 Series, BTW.)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
I like my '11 CBP base, but I do sorta wish I held out for a red SE. I love red cars. I agree that the base stereo isn't a step down; in fact I had a tech loaner for 2 days and felt the ELs system was worse; midrange was lacking and the stereo wouldn't get as loud (I usually listen around 15, but had the ELS around 25+ for the same amount of sound).
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
I like my '11 CBP base, but I do sorta wish I held out for a red SE. I love red cars. I agree that the base stereo isn't a step down; in fact I had a tech loaner for 2 days and felt the ELs system was worse; midrange was lacking and the stereo wouldn't get as loud (I usually listen around 15, but had the ELS around 25+ for the same amount of sound).
You have to turn that Dolby crap off (its like the last option in the sound menu), that's how I get the sound perfect, turn it up to 30, Bass at +6 same with sub at +6.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Love the red also. Tried to pick one up for the wife before they came out on the lot. Couldnt get them to work the price down since they had no idea on how it would sell. Didnt want to pay more than 30K on a new TSX so we ended up picking up a 2009 at auction with very low miles.