Maxima to a TSX 2.0, will I hate it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxima to a TSX 2.0, will I hate it?

Stop reading if you don't care to read about someone waffling over a new car purchase ;-)

I'm driving a 2000 Nissan Maxima (222 hp v6, 5-speed manual) that I rolled off the lot with 2 miles on it. I've been driving it for 12.5 years now. 95,000 miles on it.

Its been a great car and I love driving it and still appreciate the power and ripping through the manual gearbox. All in all still in pretty good condition, but a) I've been stranded twice in the past year (radiator went a year ago, then I recently lost alternator), b) my wife won't drive the manual transmission which occasionally is a pain-in-the-ass, and c) well its getting a bit old and maybe I'll get stranded again.

I'm considering buying a TSX Sports Wagon, which only has the 2.0 4-cylinder with auto transmission. I have two young kids now, but every SUV I drive I hate and the BMW 3-series wagon is $10k more. I like the pragmatic aspects of a wagon and was impressed with the TSX handling. And FWIW, the Audi Allroad felt way less refined and felt even more sluggish (and its $8000+ more expensive!).

Really hard to gauge how much I'll miss the sporty Maxima compared to the Acura. I could postpone the inevitable for probably another couple years or just make the deal now on the Acura and hope I don't regret it. I know the Acura will probably be slower but I haven't taken it on enough test drives to know how much it will piss me off.

Anyone care to weigh in on this waffler? Am I foolish for not just continuing to drive my trusty/sporty/paid_for Maxima and postpone giving up the manual transmission? (After all, I promised my wife that the next car I buy will be an automatic!)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
Stop reading if you don't care to read about someone waffling over a new car purchase ;-)

I'm driving a 2000 Nissan Maxima (222 hp v6, 5-speed manual) that I rolled off the lot with 2 miles on it. I've been driving it for 12.5 years now. 95,000 miles on it.

Its been a great car and I love driving it and still appreciate the power and ripping through the manual gearbox. All in all still in pretty good condition, but a) I've been stranded twice in the past year (radiator went a year ago, then I recently lost alternator), b) my wife won't drive the manual transmission which occasionally is a pain-in-the-ass, and c) well its getting a bit old and maybe I'll get stranded again.

I'm considering buying a TSX Sports Wagon, which only has the 2.0 4-cylinder with auto transmission. I have two young kids now, but every SUV I drive I hate and the BMW 3-series wagon is $10k more. I like the pragmatic aspects of a wagon and was impressed with the TSX handling. And FWIW, the Audi Allroad felt way less refined and felt even more sluggish (and its $8000+ more expensive!).

Really hard to gauge how much I'll miss the sporty Maxima compared to the Acura. I could postpone the inevitable for probably another couple years or just make the deal now on the Acura and hope I don't regret it. I know the Acura will probably be slower but I haven't taken it on enough test drives to know how much it will piss me off.

Anyone care to weigh in on this waffler? Am I foolish for not just continuing to drive my trusty/sporty/paid_for Maxima and postpone giving up the manual transmission? (After all, I promised my wife that the next car I buy will be an automatic!)
Wow... This sounds very familiar. I appreciate your candor, and I will give you mine.

We drove a 2002 civic...it was my wife's first car out of college. It has served us well. But now that we have two kids, and a bit more established in life, we wanted something newer, more dependable, and a bit classier. We test drove a lot of car, regular to luxury. Nothing came close to pure value. The Tsx's win hands down. Besides , my wife was pregnant with our 2nd child at the time, but the tsx seats were the most comfy for her.

Btw, I too wanted the 6 speed, but wifey said must be auto, so here we are. Lol.

Good luck with decision. But my 2cents, tsx all the way. If you can afford it, go for it.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
The TSX wagon would be a great car for your changing lifestyle. The TSX will be safer and haul more stuff than your Maxima did. I had a '92 Maxima SE so I know your concerns performance wise.

While the TSX won't be a quick as the Maxima, it will cruise fine and get a lot better MPG. The TSX should also out handle the Maxima of yesteryear as well. From a HP perspective, you'll take a little drop but will have a lot of new creature comforts added.
The TSX wagon is a nice driver's car. It won't be the quickest you can buy but it will beat the Suburu Outbacks and other 4-cyl wagons you encounter.

I take it you drove the RDX and didn't like it? That would be my pick if performance was still an issue- the MDX is also very nice.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:07 PM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Might hate it 5% of time and love it the other 95%. But as long as its not crucial to buy right away, you have time to test drive multiple times and other cars that might work for you
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
In my experience, "fast" has little to do with overall driving enjoyment. My wife's car is faster than my TSX, but my TSX is hands down the more engaging, rewarding car to drive. I bought a 2011 TSX Sport Wagon for reasons similar to yours. I love the car, but found that the 6MT itch doesn't go away just because it becomes a relative inconvenience to your life. So I am selling it. I wish my wife would take it because I'd love to keep it, but she doesn't want to drive a wagon. Her loss. Anyhoo, the occasional pain in the ass of wife not driving manual, in my opinion, turned out to be a smaller matter than my daily desire to drive a manual. I'd think real hard about which situation is going to be more of a problem for you overall. And if you decide you want a wagon, please, by all means, buy mine...
Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I own a TSX wagon. My daily driver before was an Acura RL that had a 3.5 liter engine. Will you miss the torque? Probably but its hardly a dealbreaker.

The TSX wagon has a 2.4 liter, its quite responsive, lets me pass people just fine and gets 34 mpg on long trips. I drive through mountain passes, sometimes with 5000 foot elevation changes, it handles them just fine including luggage and cargo.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If you like a manual, stick with it. I like a stick and will never look back. TSX is a great car that but is much better with the manual!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
^^ Ditto. I traded in my 2008.5 350WHP Mazdaspeed 3 for a TSX 6spd tech. Do I miss the torque? Yes but the comfort, MPG, tech and overall smoothness makes up it.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
well, I've had company cars from a 06 Passat 2.0t, replaced by a 07 Camry SEV6, replaced by a 2009 Maxima SV and I don't miss it. Now I have a new Malibu Eco as a company car and I always enjoy driving my wife's TSX wagon. I say go for it. The TSX is a refined and great handling car and can be loads of fun even as a wagon.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:59 PM
10th Gear

I went from an '02 Maxima SE auto (160k) purchased new to a '12 TSX tech sedan and I'm loving every mile of the new car. Most of my driving is alone and the TSX can keep up pretty well but it's the driving dynamics that will make you smile the most. It's like a whole new world compared to the Maxima. Add the MPG's and you've got quite a car that's beyond what most people understand.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Granted, maybe we're biased, but I don't think you'll miss the Maxima for long. I'd recommend the 6MT though. Tell the wife she has to learn how to drive it. I've been telling mine that for a year...
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by damaged442
Granted, maybe we're biased, but I don't think you'll miss the Maxima for long. I'd recommend the 6MT though. Tell the wife she has to learn how to drive it. I've been telling mine that for a year...
Or get a new wife who knows how to drive a stick
Old 10-06-2012, 05:21 PM
wagon owner

My 'other' car is a lexus sc430 convertible which i love to drive. But i find myself really missing driving my tsx wagon if i go 3 or 4 days without driving it.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the thoughts!

I test drove the TSX wagon again today as well as the RDX. They were both awesome in their own way. TSX clearly the sportier/funner drive and appears to have more usable cargo room too. But the backseat is awful cramped...not a big deal for kiddos but we like to have room for toys and a mini cooler on roadtrips. RDX had better backseat room (more usable floor space), was obviously more powerful, and has the AWD option.

Yikes...tough decision between the two. I'll never decide!

But FWIW, both excite me in terms of moving on from my existing car.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
If I were in your shoes and the choice was RDX vs. TSX Wagon, I would choose the RDX. That V6 power would woo me every time. I love the look of the TSX Wagon but the RDX's V6 is just too sweet.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
I had a 2002 Maxima SE 6MT for almost 10 years, drove it off the showroom floor, literally, and put 90,000+ miles on it. Bought the TSX wagon last year and the Maxima was delivered to Carmax a few months after. I miss the torque of VQ for sure, but the TSX chassis, handling/suspension set up (even stock), and interior are what sold me.

The wagon isn't a complete pig either, like Ken said, it's fast enough for what most of us have to do, esp once you get into the upper rpm range, and you get good mpgs. The VQ is kind of the opposite, lots of go down low, but the VIAS doesn't really let it open up a lot beyond 5000 rpms. The TSX will pull all the way to redline almost. But I digress.

The TSX does have a small back seat, but my kids aren't often in the car with me. We take the wife's car for most family trips. Sounds like the RDX might suit you better in terms of cabin space, but don't write off the wagon just because it is slower on paper. I do wish they either had a V6 or MT option, or both, in the wagon, though.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by a32tl
If I were in your shoes and the choice was RDX vs. TSX Wagon, I would choose the RDX. That V6 power would woo me every time. I love the look of the TSX Wagon but the RDX's V6 is just too sweet.
This.
They gave me a rdx as a loaner for a few days. I fell in love with it.
It wasn't the v6 but the 4cyl turbo was more than enough power for me.
If I didn't just buy my tsx, I would have bought a rdx. I hate sport utes but the rdx is a fun car.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I think you'll like the TSX Wagon. Really a great car.
Originally waited for and wanted the '13 RDX. Wanted the utility of a wagon and wanted something that drove nice. Once I drove the wagon I was sold. The space and V6 in the RDX are nice but the TSX drives so much better. Steering in the new RDX is overly light and it drives like an SUV. A very nice SUV but not fun to drive. - at least not for me.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ a set of coils would fix that though.
I've never driven a wagon but I would think the k24 just isn't enough for all that extra weight.
My dr feels nimble and pretty quick ( for a sedan ) but I would think it would feel kinda sluggish on the wagon..
I could be completely wrong though.
I wonder why they don't make the v6 a option for the wagons...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
TSX is definitely a better car for a family man. but for a driver only spirit i would keep the maxima and run it to the ground. frankly 96k is not much and i don't think you will get much cash for it. just do some preventive maintenance and save up for a tsx. a 5 speed is just so much more responsive than any torque converter equipped car.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
what's a tsx 2.0? is that like the euro engine? We all may be making terrible recommendations based on the fact that he's comparing a Maximo to a 2.0 version of the TSX (which is further underpowered than the current 4 pot). OP, please advise.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

i think he meant 2.4

i dont think there is a 2.0
i think theres a 1.5 (maybe 1.7?) or something and a diesel turbo
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for all the replies folks. Very helpful.

Yes, I meant the "2.4", not "2.0".

Since writing this, I've test-driven the TSX Wagon again. I've test driven the 2013 RDX twice. And I also test drove the 2012 RDX (completely different beast from the 2013). And I also took a 2-hour overnight road trip with the family in our other vehicle, a 2008 Toyota RAV4.

TSX remains my favorite ride. It just feels good and sporty. However on the road trip with the family, I'm now concerned that there just isn't enough space in the back seat. There is plenty of cargo room (more than the RDX), but not much room in the backseat for riding comfort. On our road trip we had toys, pillows, and even a small cooler in the backseat floor area of the RAV4. There is next to no room in the backseat floor area of the TSX. There is the hump in the middle. I'm 6'1" and have my seat pretty far back. That leaves the area beyond the passenger seat. I'm not sure if this is enough of a showstopper or not. And of course the car lower-to-the-ground makes it harder to load up my 2- and 4-year old into their front facing child seats.

2013 RDX is nice and comfy and has the same "practical" advantages of the RAV4. Lots of backseat floor space and easier to load the kids. Sort of like the "cadillac" version of our RAV4 in that it rides very nice. The 2012 RDX is like the RAV4 on adrenaline. It has the same bumpiness of the RAV4 but is way sportier and handles like a sports car. FWIW, I can't stand the way the RAV4 handles on the highway. Bumpy and noisy.

Bottomline is that I now have no idea which vehicle to get! I'm drawn to the TSX but it would probably not be as comfortable as a family cruiser compared to the RDX.

And FWIW, I test drove an MDX a few weeks ago and didn't care for the SUV character.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd get the MDX for the wife (replacing the RAV4) and I'd get the TSX for myself ;-)

Sigh!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
it looks like your leaning more toward the rdx since you need the room for your kids.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
10th Gear

Oops. My apologies for repeating myself (forgot I responded earlier about the backseat floorspace issue).

Only new info I added was the 2012 RDX test drive, which I don't think I'll get because of the choppy ride. Even though it brought me some of the "TSX fun" in a CUV package.

Any other suggested vehicles I should drive? Audi Allroad didn't do it for me. Volvo XC70 was nice, but way more expensive with questionable reliability. Subaru Outback was crappy.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 PM
wagon owner

If youre keeping th 08 rav, cant u use that on the occasional roadie and enjoy the tsx wagon as a daily driver?
Might try looking at venza, vw tdi wagon and tiguan, mini countryman, forrester. Maybe the mazda 3 hatch even
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Forester - meh, but try it out. I owned an '07 XT for 5 years, but it was a very different car from today's Forester. Try an Outback. You may actually really like the Tribecca if you can still find one.

For a spacious family hauler I'd get a Mercedes R-class. Used, of course.

Stan
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If you want to buy a car for the kids, get the RDX or any other ones mentioned. If you want to buy a car that you won't feel like you sold out and will still not regret buying 3 years from now, buy the TSX.

My 2 cents....
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
I say the subaru outback 3.6r or tsx wagon since you do not like the RDX's ride. i have had the 07 RDX since brand new and loved it, lost count number of road trips i had. no1 ever complained about the ride quality except my mom.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
Oops. My apologies for repeating myself (forgot I responded earlier about the backseat floorspace issue).

Only new info I added was the 2012 RDX test drive, which I don't think I'll get because of the choppy ride. Even though it brought me some of the "TSX fun" in a CUV package.

Any other suggested vehicles I should drive? Audi Allroad didn't do it for me. Volvo XC70 was nice, but way more expensive with questionable reliability. Subaru Outback was crappy.
Remember, your kids do grow up so you won't be placing them into car seats forever. The will eventually be able to do that themselves which makes things a lot easier.

The Passat Wagon is nice if the TSX doesn't do it for you. After that, you may need to look at the Ford Edge as a possible choice. With two kids, you could also have a sedan and use the RAV cases where you need more space. I got by pretty well with the old Maxima hauling two kids and their friends. The new Accord is very nice!

I'd say you're a lucky man if you get the new car to drive and not the RAV. I would get my Wife's hand me down car until I got the TL which was the first new car for me in a very long time. Good luck in what ever you choose. Almost any make or model will show some great improvements over a 10 year old Maxima so you should be pretty happy.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Keep the RAV4 for longer family trips, get the TSX for yourself and the occasional family night out. Upgrade the RAV4 to something bigger later if necessary. Problem solved.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Remember, your kids do grow up so you won't be placing them into car seats forever. The will eventually be able to do that themselves which makes things a lot easier.

The Passat Wagon is nice if the TSX doesn't do it for you.
+1

My kids are 6 & 3 and they buckle themselves in now.

Also consider the Jetta Sport Wagen, it has much better back seat "usable" space (the back bench is flat) and trunk space than the TSX. And the DSG+TDI is fun to drive. The cockpit just isn't as nice as the TSX, which is why I didn't get it.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 AM
wagon owner

The new mazda cx-5 maybe?
Has anyone tested this?
It was on my short list to replace my 4runner but never got around to actually driving it after loving the tsx wagon test.
But it does come w AWD and comparable gas mileage numbers and price.
And Mazda has a 6 wagon coming dont they? Might be a good alternative to the tsx wagon
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Judging by the direction your life is headed, I'd say you'll be really satisfied with the TSX wagon, it'll be ideal for you and your wife for shopping, traveling, etc. Sure you won't have as much power under the hood like the Maxima did, but in all honesty, it's really useless, you'll probably have a better time at the gas station now too. Good luck, hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by kball
The new mazda cx-5 maybe?
Has anyone tested this?
It was on my short list to replace my 4runner but never got around to actually driving it after loving the tsx wagon test.
But it does come w AWD and comparable gas mileage numbers and price.
And Mazda has a 6 wagon coming dont they? Might be a good alternative to the tsx wagon
The biggest drawback on the CX-5 is power and pickup. Other than that, it's typical Mazda zoom zoom at least for a CUV.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Passat doesn't make the wagon any more, does it?

I've driven an 2011 E350 4-matic wagon, and that was an AWESOME wagon. I am a wagon man myself, but nobody makes them anymore in US. TSX is a nice one, Jetta Sportswagon felt small. Used Passat wagon would be very nice.

Stan
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stan_t
Passat doesn't make the wagon any more, does it?

I've driven an 2011 E350 4-matic wagon, and that was an AWESOME wagon. I am a wagon man myself, but nobody makes them anymore in US. TSX is a nice one, Jetta Sportswagon felt small. Used Passat wagon would be very nice.

Stan
Based on the specs, the Jetta wagon actually has more rear seating and cargo space than the TSX wagon. The trunk space is also more usable, as in, it is more "square, while the TSX has pretty pronounced protrusions from the strut housings. The Passat wagon is definitely bigger, and comes with V6 and AWD, if you can find one in decent shape. I looked into that too, but didn't want the headache of looking for a good one and worrying about long term reliability and maintenance.

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 10-09-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Keep the RAV4 for longer family trips, get the TSX for yourself and the occasional family night out. Upgrade the RAV4 to something bigger later if necessary. Problem solved.

This.

I was in the same dilemma, really. I knew I loved the sportiness of the TSX for my daily commute, but also knew that it would in no way be a good car for my (now) two kids and the wifey.

So, I broke down and bought the wife a 2012 Odyssey Touring (she loves the navi and the kids love the DVD player in the back) and I got a 2012 TSX Tech. In my opinion, this is one of the best combinations for a growing family who still wants a fun car. The Odyssey is what the TSX will never be, a great long distance family cruiser. And, the TSX is what the Odyssey will never be, a sporty little commuter and weekend errands car.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
10th Gear

Ah hell, I'm just going to get the TSX Wagon :-)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Shopped the CX5 before I bought the TSX Wagon. Thought it was it drove better than any <40k crossover I checked out – including the ’13 RDX. That’s once you get it up to speed – it’s so slow!

The diesel is supposed to be coming out next year – that’d be the way to go with that one.

As far as the TSX Wagon vs the CX5. The Mazda wins on utility/AWD and maybe gas mileage – The TSX is in another league in every other category.

Our other car is a Pilot by the way - so when we need big (not often) we do have the option...

Quick Reply: Maxima to a TSX 2.0, will I hate it?