Just signed for my new 2012 TSX!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Be Yourself: Be Present

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Just signed for my new 2012 TSX!

Hey,

So the other day I signed for the 2012 TSX 4AT Tech. I opted for the red since all of my previous cars were of the "blend in" variety.

My previous vehicle was the 2008 TSX AT w/Navi. I test drove EVERYTHING in preparation for the end of her lease: Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Mini, Ford, Hyundai and even the TL (I liked the AWD version but the FWD performed like shit with such a powerful engine, so I decided I wouldn't get the V6 option now available). With the exception of the lower end cars they were all pretty nice...except they didn't feel right! Getting back into my car was the best part of the test drive. And despite the 2012 being a completely different interior than the 2008 TSX it still felt like home...which I liked very much! The engine is the same and it performed the same so I knew I would enjoy its abilities.

At first I wasn't too happy about the paddle shifts replacing the sport shift mode; I REALLY like slamming that sucker up and down...it makes the whole driving experience that much more enjoyable! But after thinking about it some more (I haven't actually taken possession yet) I think I'll enjoy the 10 & 2 aspect of shifting. The change will come with its own advantages.

My current lease isn't up until March (I have 3 more payments) so I requested a pick-up date of Jan 28, 2012 so I wouldn't have so much overlap. I wanted to sign for the car this year because the 25-year sales event seemed too good to pass up and I didn't want to risk having prices go up - sales in Canada for the TSX are horrible right now, so lower prices are probably not going to happen. Please don't disillusion me on this lol :P. Anyway, I was hoping there might be a way that I can extend it even another month or two. What are the legalities of picking up my car? If I just don't show up on Jan 28th and tell the dealership that I can't make it, or whatever, are they in their legal right to force me or to start the payment dates from Jan 28th regardless of me picking it up or not? Does it come down to space for them? If I offered them $100 for the parking spot would that be acceptable?

Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm confused. So you did a post dated sales contract that will take effect on January 28? Dealers here can't do that. Are you sure it is a lease and not a Luxury Purchase Plan that defers the payment 45 days? If so, you might as well pick up the car now. The LPP works like a lease with the fixed residual value, but you pay the taxes up front like a regular purchase instead of being built into with a lease (since Honda Finance actually "owns" the car).

My gut says you have an LPP and might as well take delivery right away. If this is the case, and you feel like you were misled, in the United States anyways, the sale isn't final until you drive it off the lot. In sales speak, it's called "busting the curb". If you have signed everything and really NEED to get out of this contract, you will likely have to lawyer up to get them to let you out of it, but at least in my state's laws, you will get out. Is it worth the lawyer costs though on top of hassle? You decide.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the reply PPower. I'm 100% certain it's a lease. I just confirmed on the contract form. Lease, 25 months, paid to Acura Finance.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 AM
m13
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This sounds really strange; you are going to be double paying on cars for two months; were the savings that good to be better than the cost of two months of payments? Sounds like you signed a contract, and are now second guessing that. Not sure about Canada, but in the States, it's not the best idea for the 28th to come and you just not start paying on that; you still owe the money and could possibly face penalties (via the contract or the law).
Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 AM

I was assuming the 25-year anniversary sale would end on Dec 31 so I wanted to take advantage of the deal. I'll be paying $1000 over 25 months now because of the overlap - An extra $40/month, which upon reflection is probably not the best deal I could have made. But it's probably too late now unless I can sweet talk my dealer into holding it for 2 more months. Even 1 month would be great!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
what is your contract date? If it's definitely a lease, I still sense funny business or misunderstanding. If you already signed for it and are taking it, why do you have to wait until the end of January? No parking space at a condo is the only reason I can come up with. You might as well take the car and put your current car up for sale for higher than the residual value/payoff amount. That way you can make money on getting rid of the current car, or just get it gone sooner, and already be driving the new one. Are you over mileage on the current lease? That would be more reason to sell it on your own.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:51 PM

I signed the contract on the 13th. It's also dated then. We agreed I would pick it up on the 28th of Januray and I made sure that my payments wouldn't start until I took possession on that date.

I have 20,000km left on my current lease but it's been in a crazy accident (Honda rebuilt it through insurance)and so I don't think trying to resell it personally would yield much.

I may just have to suck up the double payments or call them and hope they can adjust the pickup date.

Last edited by AZDJedi; 12-17-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Considering you are rolling from one Acura lease into another, some dealers would pay you out of your last month or two lease payments.

But that has to be negotiated before signing. You might want to talk to Acura Leasing and explain the situation, and see if it will let you turn it in early for no penalty, or a smaller penalty than two payments.

I did something very similar in the sense that I went from an 08 TSX AT4 Tech to an 11 TSX Tech MT6. But I actually extended by lease by a few months until I found the car I wanted, and made the deal on the last possible day. A bit too close for comfort, but it worked out.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got my TSX 2 weeks ago and the dealer bought out my previous lease 09 Jetta. They actually paid the car off as they wanted to sell it off their lot.