Is it just me??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSX
Here is a question for you guys that know more about Diesel....Is the cost of maintenance more expensive with a Diesel? Things such as oil change, type of oil used etc... Here, Diesel is not necessarely cheaper than gasoline so sure, you getter mile per gallon but will other costs make the diesel still significantly more worth it? I assume todays diesel are much more quieter too.
Traditionally, diesels have required much less maintenance. There isn't any ignition per se, so no spark plugs, etc. Diesel engines can last 1,000,000 miles (with maybe an overhaul here and there).

Right now the diesel fuel is more at the retail level, but I read somewhere that this isn't true at the wholesale level.

Anyway, diesels routinely get 60-80% better mileage than their gasoline counterparts. 50-60 mpg isn't unheard of the highway.

Over 100,000 miles, a diesel averaging, say, 45 mpg will save 1800 gallons of fuel over a gasser getting 25 mpg.

That's some pretty serious savings at current fuel prices.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
david..perfectly!! Thanks for the clarification
Old 05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
Uuummmm ... I was answering TSXinTN, not you. Hence your confusion...? [ ]

I quoted you with the word insignificant and one thing led to another.....

Like I said earlier.

reading > me
Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Who, me? Well ... fair enough, put my money where my mouth is. I don't think either is "better" or "worse," nor am I "for" or "against" the new model. I prefer the exterior of the 1GEN, IMHO it's more subtle and understated. I definitely envy the engineering and comfort updates to the '09, though: ECU change, tighter turning ratio, improved base audio, one-touch moonroof controls, additional pockets (center console, left-side driver console), A2DP audio capability, optional shelf in glovebox. A few quibbles on the interior (single compartment armrest, loss of touchscreen, paddle shifting versus SSM on the stick), but in general I think '09 buyers are getting a nicer version of the TSX. I'm not clamoring for a test drive as I suspect it'll make me instantly a bit disappointed in my 2006 (vice "Wow, I still have the better car"), and possibly unrealistically compelled to go get a Hondata reflash and A-spec suspension -- just to ease my pain.

But on the topic of the thread (ahem?) I'm like a few, I think I was skeptical of the new model, disappointed in what the previews disclosed, but now see it as a worthy update without being a whole new ball of wax. I'm totally in agreement with Colin (though I don't think I'll get a TL in the next decade), the '09 model is in general a moderate improvement and a worthwhile car for those not yet in a TSX. For those already in a TSX (1GEN), I think hte equation really depends upon personal taste -> are you already happy with performance but wishing your iPod would work with it, or are you unconcerned with the amenities and want more HP and improved traction control. Am i make more sense?
+1.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Am i make more sense?
I is agreeing you is making sense.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Racer

rb1...do you think such an engine (turbo diesel) would be as peppy as a gas engine or will it be sluggish at take off but will have more pickup at higher speed? I think the whole point of adding the turbo to the diesel is to fix this initial sluggishness is that right?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

rb1...do you think such an engine (turbo diesel) would be as peppy as a gas engine or will it be sluggish at take off but will have more pickup at higher speed? I think the whole point of adding the turbo to the diesel is to fix this initial sluggishness is that right?
It's apples and oranges, really.

Turbo-diesels have enormous low-end torque. 250 lb-ft at 2000 RPM is not uncommon. However, the torque rolls off sharply above 3000 RPM, and typical red-lines are 4200-4500 or so.

Typically, they are geared taller so they can stay at lower RPM, with cruising RPM around 2000-2200 RPM or so. In "quick" acceleration, you end up shifting fairly quickly with short in-gear times. This is a different experience entirely than winding your TSX out to 6500+ RPM.

On the other hand, it's no problem at all to drop to 1300-1400 RPM without down-shifting -- it will still have pull, while the gas TSX almost has none at that RPM.

The existing US models in passenger are so detuned I can't call them "peppy".

However, the "Euro" style diesels they will be bringing over can achieve 0-60 in 8-9 second range. VW auto-crosses some of their "higher" hp models. (For a 2 liter diesel, 170 hp is considered high)
Old 05-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Racer

rb1...Thanks for the info, it sounds interesting but I think I'll need to wait and see the TSX Diesel before I make my mind if my next car will be diesel or not. For now, I am getting the 09 TSX (gas) and ina year or two, once something else comes along, I'll look at it again. I change my cars very very often so I don't feel this 09 TSX will be in my hand for long anyway, just long enough to enjoy it
Old 05-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I quoted you with the word insignificant and one thing led to another.....

Like I said earlier.

reading > me
I think we're all over-revving a bit.
Originally Posted by Colin
Am I make more sense?
I is agreeing you is make sense.
Fixed. Sort of.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSXinTN
I think that the TSX continues as the perfect upgrade path for current Civic or Accord buyers. Agree To me, this is the '09 car's purpose in life agree and in this respect it is a better car than the one it replaces. You lost me?
We're agreeing on this, what I'm saying is that if the goal of an entry level sedan is to bring Honda drivers into the Acura brand, the new car is well equipped to do this role.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 AM
> 100K Mile Club Member

We're agreeing on this, what I'm saying is that if the goal of an entry level sedan is to bring Honda drivers into the Acura brand, the new car is well equipped to do this role.
I think I was hung up on "it is better than the one it replaces". I thought you meant 2GEN better than 1GEN. But after reading it this morning I think you meant TSX better than Civic/Accord. Correct?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSXinTN
I think I was hung up on "it is better than the one it replaces". I thought you meant 2GEN better than 1GEN. But after reading it this morning I think you meant TSX better than Civic/Accord. Correct?
No (although it is), I meant that if the TSX is designed to lure current Honda buyers into the Acura brand, it will do a better job of doing it than the G1 TSX. Frankly the earlier car was probably losing too many buyers to the IS250, A4, S40 than Acura wanted. The G2 car will stem this migration by giving cross shoppers a better car relative to these cars.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:28 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

No (although it is), I meant that if the TSX is designed to lure current Honda buyers into the Acura brand, it will do a better job of doing it than the G1 TSX. Frankly the earlier car was probably losing too many buyers to the IS250, A4, S40 than Acura wanted. The G2 car will stem this migration by giving cross shoppers a better car relative to these cars.
I'll trust your expert opinion on this.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with Colin, tallying up the shortfalls and disappointments of the 1GEN, the 2GEN really does address things that "weren't right" and might've been losing sales to other cars that didn't disappoint in areas the buyer wanted: interior room (not a complaint of mine, but of others), de-luxe audio system, quality of leather, MP3 player integration, moonroof and window controls, useful HP and torque (fun to drive appeal). I did notice this when the specs and feature list came out.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Race Director

my gf likes the new TSX a lot, even more than my 04 TSX, but I told her that I love the G35 more.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:45 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

The 2G still doesn't do anything for me... *EVEN* after a test drive... but reading Colin's earlier comments, I agree... as a 1G owner, it would only make sense (to me at least) to move into a current TL-S, or a future TL/TL-S, just as it makes sense for a current Honda Civic/Accord owner to move into a TSX to move into the Acura brand. There's not enough differentiation for me from 1G to 2G, and I personally can't justify the improvements for the money --- to ME, they felt insignificant.

It's either the 4G TL/TL-S or out of the fam for me!

With that said, I think if I were coming out of an Accord at this time (I came from an Accord EX-V6 and Mazda6 V6) when I bought my TSX, then I'd be satisfied w/ the offering...
Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 AM
Love my TSX!

Good morning everyone,

I was just wondering if its just me but it seems that the love for the 2nd generation of TSX is starting to bloom I remember at first, most were bashing Honda/Acura for the poor design, the increased size jthis and that....but as people get to see it more and more, get a chance to test drive it, I notice most peope are starting to get used to it and are appreciating the new generation. I know that the "front grill" still need to be improved and additional choice in engine choice are a must...but I think if a Diesel or V6 (with SH-AWD) were available right away and a different grill, this car would be a major success!
We are almost there and I think that the only thing that will not occur will be the new grill design going away soon as its coming out on the new TL as well.

I am happy I put my name down on PWP with body kit!!

Anyway, just wanted to share what I have been noticing as I read all the various posting and how people are coming around to it...
I like the car but waiting to see if they come out with a 6 cylinder,
Old 05-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
I think that the TSX continues as the perfect upgrade path for current Civic or Accord buyers. To me, this is the '09 car's purpose in life and in this respect it is a better car than the one it replaces.

G1 owners can move to a TL-S as many here have, or wait till the next TL arrives, or wait for a MMC. I can understand the disappointment, but please remember that there are some moving into the car that are going to be just as excited to move from their Civic as you were 5 years ago.
This is so true
Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

visiting from the 3G TL side, and i must say, the G2 TSX has SERIOUSLY grown on me. absolutely love the car. and i agree, seeing them in person, the car looks very nice. really want to take a 6speed out for a test.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by sol_da_man
visiting from the 3G TL side, and i must say, the G2 TSX has SERIOUSLY grown on me. absolutely love the car. and i agree, seeing them in person, the car looks very nice. really want to take a 6speed out for a test.
then what are you waiting for? go to the acura dealer and test drive one!