Jalopnik Reviews the TSX... Honeymoon Car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jalopnik Reviews the TSX... Honeymoon Car?

Enjoy Part 1 of the review

http://jalopnik.com/5149557/2009-acura-tsx-part-one
Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Part 2:

http://jalopnik.com/5150268/2009-acura-tsx-part-two

and also jalopnik's comment of the day about said TSX (warning it's not nice unless you like applebee's Asian Chicken Salad:

http://jalopnik.com/5150914/commente...+upped-edition
Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Wow! Is the TSX really as bad as jalopnik makes it out to be?
I had a 09 TSX not too long ago for a loaner when our MDX was in for service and I really liked it. Yes, it felt a little sluggish from a start up to 4k rpms. But using the paddle shifters you can keep it in VTEC and it was a blast to drive! I thought it handled really well (but I have been driving a MDX and a Odyssey the past few years). I liked the loaner so much I went back and test drove the 6MT and it was even better. I was originally planing on going with a Civic Si Sedan, but after my test drive, comparing the size of the Civic to the TSX and considering the great service I get at my Acura dealer. I am now seriously considering a 6MT TSX when our Odyssey lease is up in June. I feel the TSX 6MT is a good balance of fun to drive, nicely sized, comfortable, good on gas, lots of useful features... all for a great value!

TSX owners do you agree with this review? Maybe it is just the fact they had the automatic and not the 6MT...? Are you "bored" driving a TSX?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With my 6mt? Hells to the no it's not boring. I have a first gen and I have to say it's the most (reasonably priced) balanced car between fun and comfort I've driven. You sound like you want it for all the right reasons. You would not be disappointed, I assure you.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I definitely agree with LukeaTron. To be quite honest all the points that Jalopnik made about why the TSX was just "normal" were all the reasons it appealed to me. Obviously performance junkies are left wanting more (in terms of torque, hp, v6?). However for me it has just enough spunk to keep the daily grind from being boring, and all the amenities to make the ride enjoyable.

V6 is great, but with the way gas prices will shoot up, the TSX more economical than other choices.

To me it strikes the perfect balance for me, as someone who drives to get from point A to point B but wants to enjoy it. I won't be taking this to any race track or drag race on some strip any time soon and thus I can deal with the slight "lack of performance".

I'll be getting mine soon, you can bet on that.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

There's supposed to be a V6 TSX; I'd hold out for it if you can hack the price. The I4 is great with a 6MT. The '09 has a flat, satisfying torque curve. I drive it very hard with no problems.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i partially agree with the review, but only when it comes to teh 5A's drivetrain. Its not geared for any performance. 3rd gear is the gear you wanna use if you want to drive hard, and 4th is doable, but 5th is too darn low.

I have a long review written up, i need to post it up on my blog.

I love my TSX, its not bland as he makes it out to be, i rather have the TSX than the overly common accord.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Instructor

One guys opinion, the most important one is yours. If you liked it, and was even more thrilled when you get into the manual, then spring for it, it is your car, not Jolopnik's. I have the manual and would not go any other way, best shifting car I have ever driven, period. The car is excellent in real world driving as it does not pound you over frost heaves, and is quite communicative in response/handling. I am blessed to drive 20 miles along the Mississippi, and then a 2 mile stretch of tight, hairpin curves with just a cable guard rail off the side of the bluff. The car dares you to take it faster every day. Good looks, great quality, great fuel economy, very comfortable seats, fun to drive, what else do you want? Go for it, if your first impression was good, then you will not be dissapointed.

One other comment about Jolopnik's article. . . On my honey, there was NO CAR out there that would be begging me to sneak out in the middle of the night to drive it! Too bad for him if he is thinking of cars on his honeymoon.

Last edited by 09TSXMN; 02-11-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Racer

I have the 6MT, and I love it, its a blast to drive. Even my boyfriend (Audi owner) and his dad love the way it drives. Super smooth shifting, I couldn't be happier.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Advanced

Thank everyone for the great feed back.
The TSX 6MT is at the top of my list for sure!
It appears to meet all my requirements (size, features, performance, economy, style) for my next car. I will test drive again just to be sure. When I test drove it the first time I had my 4 year old daughter with me and did not get on it as much as I would have liked. Another big selling point for me is the local dealer treats us very well when we bring our MDX in. The news of the V6 does nothing for me as my next vehicle must be a manual and good on gas.

I am trying to recapture the feeling of my 1988 Civic LX Sedan. 92hp, 2300lbs, 5speed... always was a blast to drive, took corners well and I loved shifting it near redline every chance I could (and was not breaking the speed limit - by much). It just was fun car that felt fast.

Thinking about it...
What else is out there that really competes with the TSX? (4cylinders with good driving dynamics, over all fun to drive).

Mazda 6 2.5l 6MT? Not bad, I was surprised how good the 170hp 2.5 felt. It is still on my list.

VW Passat or the CC Turbos with MT, they drive real nice. I like the style on the CC (but I will pass based on poor VW reliability)? Same goes for the Audi A4

Ford Fusion 4cylinder manual? Looks ok, I will drive the 2010 when it arrives.

Altima? Just not feeling it. I had and really loved 2001 Maxima SE V6 5speed. Great car but the Altima feels nothing like it.

Civic SI? Not really in the same class, but I like it and it on my list.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Look at the Subaru Legacy while you're at it. The GT version is an AWD 250 HP turbo 4. Tons of fun to drive but not so great on the gas. I test drove one of the non-turbo versions and it felt very underpowered though it was also an AT. It's worth checking out though.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Instructor

If you are budget constrainded, look at the 2010 Mazda3s. 6MT, 2.5L 170hp, 18" wheels, push button start, dual zone climate, High Intensity adaptive lighting, 10 speaker Bose sterero, bluetooth, USB hookup, Nav, leather, all for the price of around $24-$25K. It comes out this spring with estimated 33 mgp highway. Go to Mazdausa.com.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Advanced

LukeaTron - I like the Subie, but the milage has kept me away, plus I do not need AWD as I am in FL. Although the AWD in our MDX is nice in the rain and for pulling our boat up a slippery ramp. Not sure I need AWD in this vehicle but I will go test drive one. I love that part of car shopping - all the test drives!

09TSXMN - Budget is not an issue. I drove the Mazda3Speed, I liked the way it drove, but it is not the balanced package of performance/comfort/size/economy that I am looking for. It is more performance than I need and not enough comfort/space.

I think I am pretty certain I will go with a 6MT TSX. I will test drive it again along with some others.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and to cmasterchoe for posting the review.