How much have you spent so far modding your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Robbie D.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How much have you spent so far modding your TSX?

I wanted to start a thread and have everyone that's modded their TSX's post how much they've spent so far since the purchase.

I've spent about $300 since I bought mine about a month and a half ago.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets see....

Aero Front Bumper = $623.20
Aero Rear Bumper = $536.00
Aero Sideskirts = $404.00
Rear Decklid Spoiler = $347.20
Paintmatched Front Grill = $150.00
35% Tint = $205.00
19"x8" RonJon Legends = $1,330.00
235/45/19 Falken FK-452 Tires = $592.00
Eibach Pro Kit = $211.50 after 10% discount (Thanks Marcus!)
Misc. (Bulbs, etc.) = ~$50.00
TOTAL = ~$4,448.90 + Tax
Old 06-29-2009, 04:09 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Um, let's see...

Tint ~ $150
Mount & balance OE TSX tires on TL-S wheels ~$100
Eibach Pro-Kits (sitting in the garage) ~ $250

Woohooo! $500, I got off super cheap, so far.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I installed everything myself as well including the Aero kit and springs. The only thing I didn't do myself is paint the front grill and mount and balance the tires on the wheels. I didn't include the cost for putting the tires on.

Oh, and I forgot to add the $50 I spent on a 2nd set of OE TPMS sensors.

Last edited by DerwoodEE; 06-29-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Racer

i spent too much now im homeless!!!!!! jus kidding.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by patcracks
i spent too much now im homeless!!!!!! jus kidding.
its ok, at least your living in a nice car lol
Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
Lets see....

35% Tint = $205.00
TOTAL = ~$4,448.90 + Tax

where did you buy your tires from? I got the same exact ones.

So far...

-5Zigen Wheels 19x8.5: $1,026
with lugs
-Falken 245/35/19: $617
-15% Tint all around: Hopefully free, doing a t-shirt screen printing trade with the shop
- Tein S-tech Springs: $234

So far nothing installed yet, But alrady purchased. I just got the car a week ago.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ImpressInk
where did you buy your tires from? I got the same exact ones.
www.onlinetires.com

They came with free shipping too.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Racer

I've spent a little over $1500 for: the front aero bumper, paint matched grill, spoiler, tint (dark in the back, UV filter in the front-stupid CA laws), clear bra (bumper, grill, headlights, foglights, mirrors, and in front of the trunk), and the trunk hooks. Not including the wiring for my sub and the new amp the bf bought me and installed.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Robbie D.

hah! i thought i spent too much in just 1 month =P

but then again im a 21 year old college student so my budget isnt a very big one.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
derwoodee, where did u get the $50 tpmsensors?

first mod expense:
$2050 on ace executive wheels/vredestein tires
Old 06-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bonjyng
derwoodee, where did u get the $50 tpmsensors?
Pure luck. Jumped on a set that a member on here was selling.

Revised...

35% Tint = $205.00
2nd Set of OEM TPMS Sensors = $50.00
Trunk Cargo Net = $64.00
TOTAL = ~$4,562.90
Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM

*OFFICIAL RESIDENT THROAT PUNCHER*
MUhahahahah...
Old 06-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
MUhahahahah...
I knew you'd like that.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ haha funny
chuck norris enforcer
Old 07-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Not sure if I should start a new thread on this, but since it's related, let's try it here:

I'm 30 and my TSX is the first vehicle in my name, that I paid for, ever. Previously, I drove my mom's Camry and my gf/wife's Accord. Arguably the TSX is above the Camry and Accord in terms of luxury, and the question I ask myself is, isn't that enough? Seeing you guys with your RJ rims and Aero kits and other parts admittedly causes some envy on my part, and sometimes I'm just like "f it, I'll splurge and spend a few grand on some wheels and tires," but when I think about it a little more I can't justify the expenditure.

Anyway, to keep this brief, how do you guys justify spending large sums of money on auto parts? Obviously, everyone is in a different situation and "large sums" is subjective, but ask any financial planner and they'd tell you a few grand on a luxury item isn't chump change. I'd just like to understand everyone's thought process on this, and not looking to judge or flame anyone.

Much obliged.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Instructor

Everybody knows putting money into a car is a bad investment, but people do plenty of things that they know aren't the greatest idea but because they derive a certain degree of satisfaction, happiness, pleasure, etc.

I'm sure most people agree that getting a couple people to do a double take on your car when you get out in the parking lot, or the respect you get from your fellow car owners may be trivial to some, but to others it means a whole lot.

I haven't really gotten crazy about modding my car yet (more out of laziness and brokeness, hopefully one or the other will change soon), but I definitely understand the sentiment behind doing it. Its like asking anybody who pours tons of money into a unique hobby (hunting, video gaming, mountain climbing), it might not be a sound investment, but dammit if it doesn't make them happy!

Heck, its why forums exist on just about every single detailed topic from model plane making to snorkeling (i just googled it, and they exist).
Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Not sure if I should start a new thread on this, but since it's related, let's try it here:

I'm 30 and my TSX is the first vehicle in my name, that I paid for, ever. Previously, I drove my mom's Camry and my gf/wife's Accord. Arguably the TSX is above the Camry and Accord in terms of luxury, and the question I ask myself is, isn't that enough? Seeing you guys with your RJ rims and Aero kits and other parts admittedly causes some envy on my part, and sometimes I'm just like "f it, I'll splurge and spend a few grand on some wheels and tires," but when I think about it a little more I can't justify the expenditure.

Anyway, to keep this brief, how do you guys justify spending large sums of money on auto parts? Obviously, everyone is in a different situation and "large sums" is subjective, but ask any financial planner and they'd tell you a few grand on a luxury item isn't chump change. I'd just like to understand everyone's thought process on this, and not looking to judge or flame anyone.

Much obliged.
Personally I do it to have a car that's a little different from others. I much rather buy a TSX and mod it with 5k worth of parts/accessories and have it stand out than spend the same amount on a stock BMW 3 series and have it look like every other 3 series out there.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 AM

There are a lot worse things to spend ones money on. I just completed a new trans, short shifter, clutch, flywheel, brake restoration, intake, and Bassani cat-back among a bunch of other work on a 03 350Z that a co-worker owns. During the time it was in my garage, I wasn't drinking or chasing skirts, so it was a good thing.

Modding a car is for your own enjoyment. Most of the time, mods detract from the value of a car unless you find the *one* person that wants one *exactly* like you modded it.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I mod because I want the car to be unique compared to every other cars. I guess its sometimes the double take people give you. I want it to be my TSX not generic TSX
Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Instructor

to get GIRLS!! LOL. for single guys, it has to be a reason.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Robbie D.

Much obliged.

This TSX is the first car under my name as well. I'm 21 and my last car was a TL that I took over the payments from my dad.

The reason I like spending modding a car really is personal satisfaction. and that my TSX doesn't look like everyone else's. its also like a project that you're always working on. idk to me my car isnt just sheet metal that gets me from A to B. its like my guitars that i also spent way too much money on so i dont mind throwing money into it. however, i do know my limit and i usually just save up for a mod wether its $50 or $1,000.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boydanger
This TSX is the first car under my name as well. I'm 21 and my last car was a TL that I took over the payments from my dad.

The reason I like spending modding a car really is personal satisfaction. and that my TSX doesn't look like everyone else's. its also like a project that you're always working on. idk to me my car isnt just sheet metal that gets me from A to B. its like my guitars that i also spent way too much money on so i dont mind throwing money into it. however, i do know my limit and i usually just save up for a mod wether its $50 or $1,000.
Thanks for replying and sorry for jacking your thread. In your OP you mentioned spending $300. What did you get?

I definitely understand everyone's feelings on personalizing the car, enjoying the hobby, etc. I've spent my fair share on aquariums and video games, and now I'm starting to feel the pull of car modding. I think this quote from HeavyDuty sums it up really well:

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Most of the time, mods detract from the value of a car unless you find the *one* person that wants one *exactly* like you modded it.
It makes a lot of sense. When I've seen modded cars on used car lots, I'm like "why would you want someone else's used goods???" On the flip side, the person who did the mod got a lot out of it, and that can't be measured in terms of dollars.

And boydanger, I think it's awesome that you're only 21 and already have a car under your name, and know your limit, etc. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I just spend the money on my car before my wife can.

I'm just kidding, basically what everyone else said is the same for me. It's just a hobby and to make my car really feel like "my car". I don't plan on doing too much more with this car though, I just wanted to do a few things and I'm almost done with everything on that list.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just spend the money on my car before my wife can.

I'm just kidding, basically what everyone else said is the same for me. It's just a hobby and to make my car really feel like "my car". I don't plan on doing too much more with this car though, I just wanted to do a few things and I'm almost done with everything on that list.
Relatively speaking, ~$5,000 is a bargain considering how impressive your car is.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Robbie D.

Thanks for replying and sorry for jacking your thread. In your OP you mentioned spending $300. What did you get?
no worries man, i dont mind at all haha. my thread is your thread.. or something.

$150 - 20% tints all around
$110 - Splash Guards
$20 - Chrome liners next to fogs

so actually it would come out to $280 not 300. well $400 if you count the ipod i got just for the car but i dont think that should count haha.

havent done anything major yet. i like to get all the smaller and cheaper mods out of the way before moving on to things like wheels. the next thing on my list is to try and get that euro front lip spoiler then black vinyl on the roof, then rims. i'll probably stop there, possibly a cold air intake in the distant future but i have no complaints about the performance of the car yet so i dont feel the need for a CAI right now.

And boydanger, I think it's awesome that you're only 21 and already have a car under your name, and know your limit, etc. Keep up the good work
thanks! i feel pretty proud to have a car under my name. certainly feels alot different then taking over payments on my dads old TL and the Honda Pilot before that.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:55 AM
CU2 How Bout You??

Much obliged.
I'm 17 and this is my first car, and before anyone says anything about my parents paying for it or w.e., we own a restaurant and I have been working there since i was 8 years old saving my money so that when i was 17 i could get a nice car, and i did. Anyway, about modyfiying cars, I think for me at least its all about those comments you get after parking your car and stepping out of it the, "Hey, Sweet Ride" also its the fact that you dont want your TSX to look like the 90 year old grandmas TSXs driving around
Old 07-02-2009, 07:56 AM
CU2 How Bout You??

modifying*
Old 07-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Robbie D.

Originally Posted by VectorBlueTSX
I'm 17 and this is my first car, and before anyone says anything about my parents paying for it or w.e.
if youre 17 theres nothing wrong with your parents paying for you car. even better for you!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Racer

If your parents can afford to buy you a car like this, then power to you guys! As long as your humble about it, it's all good.

Have had my TSX for over a year now.. don't remember the exact prices but...

Springs $225
Rear sway bar $150
Wheels + tires $2000
=
Total ~$2400

That doesn't include all the OEM accessories I have though.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol. im only 17 and this was my first car. not really my first car, but my first new car. so since the car is new to me, and i really dont want to mess it up, what are some easy mods you all have done? im not really looking into wheels, but about anything else that is fairly easy and not too expensive.Thanks!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Spoiler-$490
Tints-$140
Taillight Tints-$90
HID Fogs-$145
Nokya "Arctic White" High Beam- $16
PIAA Reverse Bulbs-15.75
Progress Sway Bar- $184
Supercomputer Sports Pedals (Still Waiting for it)- $155
Interior and Trunk High Power LED Swap- about $70
Radar Detector and Hardwire-$116
Junction Produce Neck Pads-$46
Junction Produce Momostuna (Pink Rope)-$100
Weathertech Floor Mats-$159.90
Trunk Tray-$82.50
Cargo Hooks-$7.50
Body Side Moldings-$199
Rear Bumper Applique-$68
Acura First Aid-$22.50
Tein H-tech Springs (haven't installed it)-$290

Total-$2397.15 (Wow I didn't realize how all those little things add up like crazy)
Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Acura First Aid-$22.50
lol u actually bought it?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ed_423
heh yeah, saw that Lexus cars comes with one and Infiniti
Old 07-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Jimmy Hoffa was found in

sports-Aero Front Bumper
sports-Aero Rear Bumper
sports-Aero Sideskirts
Rear Decklid Spoiler
roof Spoiler
35% Tint All Around(even my front window)
20"x8" Rims
235/45/20 Tires
Eibach Pro Kit
2nd Set of OEM TPMS Sensors
supercomputer pedels
drilled and slotted rotors
ceramic pad brakes
LED all around the interior
interior wood trims on front+Dash board
Cold air intake(Takeda)

total ...i have no idea..maybe 6,500 more or less

opps...i forgot my HID's all round(even on my reverse tail-lites)

yes......i'm the @ssH#$% how likes to blind people LOL

Last edited by fritoLay; 07-04-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ed_423
The part number for the first aid kit is pretty funny FAK-xxx.

As in;

"FAK! I severed an artery! Grab the kit!"
Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So is it bad that I have had my car for 8 months only drove it for one week, and have a ton of aftermarket parts and I have now idea what my bill is going to be . I am starting to get a little worried. Maybe some day soon you will see a supercharged 09 TSX on E-bay to pay the creditors.

Last edited by BOOSTED09TSX; 07-10-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Do any of you know where I can get a good deal on quality HID Fogs?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:06 PM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
www.onlinetires.com

They came with free shipping too.
And they price-match!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Hey Derwood, how were you able to get your grill painted for $150? The cheapest estimate I got was $300 and most shops won't gurantee that the paint can stick to the chrome, even if they sand it down....

Quick Reply: How much have you spent so far modding your TSX?