Holy gas mileage batman - the effects of trafficon gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by benben01
This is our first significant trip in the MDX since we bought it new last year. I am hoping to get 22+ mpg on our drive home without being stuck in traffic. That graph totally makes sense. The highest MPG is usually obtained at the lower range of the MPH in the over drive gear. In most cases 5 or 6 speed transmissions, that optimal MPG is 45-50 mph. To satisfy my OCD urges, I had the MDX washed, cleaned and tires inflated to 36 psi before we hit the road. Every time my wife messes with the climate control which triggers the AC compressor, I would cringe...
I have even heard Vipers have gotten 30+ mpg from long hwy trips.

Got to love those 6 speeds!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
legally no choice here, but i mean, what does it matter? can't really fuck up putting it in the hole(unless you're sjoe or ed)

on one of my older cars, it actually told you the range you had in the reserve after you hit 0 in the regular tank, but my TSX doesn't do that. you got about 1-2 gallons. so it depends on your driving. stop and go traffic? i wouldn't fuck with that orange light lol. i freaked out while stuck on the FDR in NY cause you never know how long that lasts. i've driven a decent amount on the turnpike after 0. about 20-30 miles going 70 with no traffic. and i still never got an 18.5gallon fill. i've always wanted to test it out hahaha. easiest way to check how much gallons are left is to hit 0, then immediately fuel the car. 18.5-your fill=reserve tank

also, funtime
Still taking pictures while going 70MPH. SMH.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
The 3200-3600 pound weight of our cars makes stop and go driving thirsty for fuel. By today's standards, the cars aren't tubby, but I suppose we could all stand to lose a few pounds.

It would be interesting to have some kind of engine start/stop tech for city driving, but I haven't heard of a manufacturer that does it well... not counting hybrids makers.

I usually fill up within the last quarter tank.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanTSX
1. What gas are you buying?
2. Are you having a little fun with the car??
3. Calculation correct???
1. BP or Sunoco 93
2. Not at all, which pisses me off. Blc i have a i4 and still arent wowed by the MPG
3. Yep for the most part. Ive never been down t 0 miles left. If im going to use a different company i run down to the light and then refuel.

Originally Posted by KillerG
Cruise is dangerous for me personally, less involvement makes me start getting sleep on long distance cruises
I agree. And I just dont like the feeling of not having control of the car.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman
Still taking pictures while going 70MPH. SMH.
Dave is ?
Idk.. Dave what do you have to say for yourself ?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
benben- just FYI...using your AC has NO significant impact on your MPGs. we had the AC on the whole time (summer trip temps in the 90s). let me also add when we were driving home it was in a pouring rain for 8 of the 10 hrs and two major traffic hold ups which added the extra 2 hrs to what was suppose to be an 8 hr trip home.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
benben- just FYI...using your AC has NO significant impact on your MPGs. we had the AC on the whole time (summer trip temps in the 90s). let me also add when we were driving home it was in a pouring rain for 8 of the 10 hrs and two major traffic hold ups which added the extra 2 hrs to what was suppose to be an 8 hr trip home.
I agree. No loss in gas mileage using it. Makes for a more comfortable ride on hot days.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 03-31-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MoaarLow
1. BP or Sunoco 93
2. Not at all, which pisses me off. Blc i have a i4 and still arent wowed by the MPG
3. Yep for the most part. Ive never been down t 0 miles left. If im going to use a different company i run down to the light and then refuel.

I agree. And I just dont like the feeling of not having control of the car.
Calculate it by hand next time. If you are just using what is displayed then that might be the average for that certain trip you just did. I think our display changes everytime we turn the car on and off for each trip.

I have seen as high as 36.4 on the display, but that was on a continous trip for several hours at a time. I calculated by hand and actually got 34 overall for that exact trip.

If I have to stop more often than normal I usually see a big dip in mpg on the display.

If you use cruise control correctly than you are still in control of the car. You can still steer the car, use the brakes and control the throttle with the buttons on the steering wheel. What you cannot control is the precise changes in speed that the car goes through as it travels down the road. Only the computer can control that.

Remember, as soon as you hit the brakes or touch the throttle cruise control turns off.

Last edited by TrojanTSX; 03-31-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
The 3200-3600 pound weight of our cars makes stop and go driving thirsty for fuel. By today's standards, the cars aren't tubby, but I suppose we could all stand to lose a few pounds.

It would be interesting to have some kind of engine start/stop tech for city driving, but I haven't heard of a manufacturer that does it well... not counting hybrids makers.

I usually fill up within the last quarter tank.
One issue with start/stop is the unknown longterm effect on catalytic converters in the US based on our crappy gas. Right now, the only manufacturer in the US to have incorporated start stop is BMW. The other manufacturers (MB, Audi) have start/stop in Europe but have not introduced it in the US - they'll let BMW pay the big bucks for failed catalytic converters.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Calculate it by hand next time. If you are just using what is displayed then that might be the average for that certain trip you just did. I think our display changes everytime we turn the car on and off for each trip.

I have seen as high as 36.4 on the display, but that was on a continous trip for several hours at a time. I calculated by hand and actually got 34 overall for that exact trip.

If I have to stop more often than normal I usually see a big dip in mpg on the display.

If you use cruise control correctly than you are still in control of the car. You can still steer the car, use the brakes and control the throttle with the buttons on the steering wheel. What you cannot control is the precise changes in speed that the car goes through as it travels down the road. Only the computer can control that.

Remember, as soon as you hit the brakes or touch the throttle cruise control turns off.
While I agree that cruise control does not remove any control, you last sentence is technically incorrect.

Touching the brakes will deactivate the cruise control, but stepping on the throttle temporarily over rides the cruise but as soon as you remove you foot from the throttle, the speed reverts back to the speed set by the cruise.

You should not use cruise control in low traction conditions like heavy rain or snow.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
While I agree that cruise control does not remove any control, you last sentence is technically incorrect.

Touching the brakes will deactivate the cruise control, but stepping on the throttle temporarily over rides the cruise but as soon as you remove you foot from the throttle, the speed reverts back to the speed set by the cruise.

You should not use cruise control in low traction conditions like heavy rain or snow.
Ya brakes for sure. Throttle, different for other cars and thats why I was thinking that??? Usually when I touch the throttle I turn off the cruise anyway since I use the buttons to control my throttle with the cruise on. Maybe I am so use to doing that, that I just assumed it would turn off automatically. Sucks that I dont have any of my old cars to test my theory!!

Thanks for the heads up ceb!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Ya brakes for sure. Throttle, different for other cars and thats why I was thinking that??? Usually when I touch the throttle I turn off the cruise anyway since I use the buttons to control my throttle with the cruise on. Maybe I am so use to doing that, that I just assumed it would turn off automatically. Sucks that I dont have any of my old cars to test my theory!!

Thanks for the heads up ceb!
Cruise controls are designed that way to allow to temporarily speed up to pass a car and then resume at your set speed.

Like you said, using cruise control on long distances can improve your mpg by about 5%.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Cruise controls are designed that way to allow to temporarily speed up to pass a car and then resume at your set speed.

Like you said, using cruise control on long distances can improve your mpg by about 5%.
MB actually has a cool feature on the cruise control, it has a stalk similar to the turn signals ones used for cruise, and pushing it up/down increases/decreases speed be 1MPH, if you "click" it up/down, it jumps 5MPH. i drove down to DC on my moms C300, and it worked pretty well

i'll ignore the previous statements directed at me as they do not add to the thread
Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PyroDave
MB actually has a cool feature on the cruise control, it has a stalk similar to the turn signals ones used for cruise, and pushing it up/down increases/decreases speed be 1MPH, if you "click" it up/down, it jumps 5MPH. i drove down to DC on my moms C300, and it worked pretty well

i'll ignore the previous statements directed at me as they do not add to the thread
BMW and Audi have the same thing, but the MB control is widely panned because it is in the place where most people expect to find the turn signal stalk (the turn signal stalk is below the cruise stalk)

Our cars increase speeds in about 1mph increments by tapping the button firmly. What I miss about my BMW is that activating the cruise would display a digital readout of the set speed.

The 5mph increase isn't actually 5mph, but it is to the next 5 mile setting. For example, if your cruise is set to 42 and you push the lever forward, it'll set it to 45. Pulling it back will set it to 40mph.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
I despise cruise control and am really glad I don't have one of those cruise control stalks on my wheel.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
would be nice if acura had adaptive cruise control. Had a Hyundai Genesis as a loaner car while our sonata was being serviced. It had it. Took awhile to get used to it but once I did-loved it.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
would be nice if acura had adaptive cruise control. Had a Hyundai Genesis as a loaner car while our sonata was being serviced. It had it. Took awhile to get used to it but once I did-loved it.
It does, in Europe...
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXKid2010
~80 mile commute everyday round trip, and smaller trips frequently so it's not uncommon for me to drive ~100 miles a day, about 70% highway, 30% city. I get an average of around 32MPGs. but in traffic, i can really tell the difference as sometimes it drops down to like 23-24MPGs. Eliminate traffic, save gas, save the world.
70/30 highway is a really good ratio for your car if you're putting on that many miles. You must go through a lot of oil changes? I remember having to oil change every 1-1.5 months from my commutes!