Hidden USB cable / adapter in Canadian TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hidden USB cable / adapter in Canadian TSX

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP FROM THE MEMBERS

I purchased the Base model Acura TSX in Canada. First and foremost I want to say that cars in Canada cost about 15-25% more out-the-door, so I sprang for the base model. It's not a matter of having the funds, it's just that I don't need a lot of the frills if there is no value in it. There's value in the system when purchased in the USA (I'm a dual citizen of the usa/canada), but up here in the Great White North, the topend TSX I4 6mt cost about 10k more than the US for OTR prices.

Now my main thing is that I would like to know if anyone has taken apart the innards of their arm rest? The reason being is that I would like to know if there is a hidden usb connect/cable in the arm rest.

IF ANYONE HAS A BLOWUP / SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM OF THE AFOREMENTIONED, PLS PROVIDE THE LINK

The base version of the Acura TSX in Canada has the power outlet and the aux input in the armrest, but the usb input is missing. Even cars costing 15k have the usb input these days (so I find this as a stupid thing to leave out in even the base model of the TSX). In addition, the cable would only cost the factory a modest $2-4 dollars as an add on (get real acura), and I didn't want to pay an extra $3k just so I could have the usb input (I don't care for the other options on the Premium model)

I can live without the usb input, but if the headunit already has the functionality and the only thing missing is a $4 cable and if it's an easy fix, I would prefer to have the option of hooking my iphone up via the usb cable as opposed to bluetooth.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED
Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
You need an USB adapter under the centre console, think it cost $400-$500 each.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Damn that blows. I just found out I had the USB adapter. I was using the AUX input for my ipod the last 5 months.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
You need an USB adapter under the centre console, think it cost $400-$500 each.

Thanks for your help!

Any idea what the part number is?

If I buy the USB Adapter Unit is it pretty much plug and play from there (is the cable under the armrest that connects to the USB Adapter Unit) OR do I need to remove the whole center console and the arm rest unit?

I 'think' I found the part required and it doesn't cost that much: http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/oem/acura~adapter~unit~usb~a~type~39113-TL2-A01.html

Any idea who makes the oem head unit? e.g., Alpine, Kenwood, etc..???

Thanks to all members who can help out
Old 04-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Has anyone used this usb adapter

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sr20bet
Thanks for your help!

Any idea what the part number is?

If I buy the USB Adapter Unit is it pretty much plug and play from there (is the cable under the armrest that connects to the USB Adapter Unit) OR do I need to remove the whole center console and the arm rest unit?

I 'think' I found the part required and it doesn't cost that much: http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/oem/acura~adapter~unit~usb~a~type~39113-TL2-A01.html

Any idea who makes the oem head unit? e.g., Alpine, Kenwood, etc..???

Thanks to all members who can help out
You have the right part number, that's US part supplier, Canadian will charge more. I don't know if there are connectors in place on the Base model for plug and play.
I don't know if you need to remove the entire centre console and armrest to install the USB adapter, but chances are that you do. See if there's wiring in place first (to see if this is a plug and play operation), otherwise you will need to somehow connect to head unit.

The Head Unit is MATSUSHITA or in North America we call it Panasonic.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Thanks 09TSXTech!

I'm not in any rush....don't have the do it bug in me anymore. Too old for that.

I'm going to wait (about a year or so) to see if others tackle this issue and post more info / a diy on the aforementioned.

It might cost the end user a couple of hundred, but for honda I don't think the unit would cost more than $50-70 from the looks of it. They shouldn't cheap out on this or should just increase the price a bit, but I won't be highjacked to pay an extra 3-4k to get the premium trim model. I don't care for leather seats and the other niceties at that price point.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ I think Acura is slowly getting the message on pricing, although they are not quite there yet.

Another member bought an 09 Base 6MT model for $24K in Vancouver last September, that's $8K off list price which is much more reasonable. If you see any 2010 model sitting in a dealer's lot, they are offering a $7K discount from the factory now to clear them.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Instructor

^ I think Acura is slowly getting the message on pricing, although they are not quite there yet.

Another member bought an 09 Base 6MT model for $24K in Vancouver last September, that's $8K off list price which is much more reasonable. If you see any 2010 model sitting in a dealer's lot, they are offering a $7K discount from the factory now to clear them.
Got about $9500 off the out-the-door price. So it was a now brainer, but for those that paid full price and didn't get the damn usb cable....that's has to be damaging.

Acura has to get their act together.....stop cheaping out of silly stuff.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

^That's a great price. The MSRP for a Base 2009 6MT is C$32,900, the forum member Norm24 got his for $24K which is a $9K discount and yours is even more.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sr20bet, how much did you pay for your base model TSX? I am wondering the same thing as well.. im very curious about the whole USB business too.. i bought the base model TSX because I didn't need the tech and leather, and couldn't justify paying 3-4k more just for the usb connectivity..
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Advanced

i also have a base model canadian tsx but i want all the bells and whistles just not for the 7-8k premium tag for the tech package =/ trying to figure out seat memory also
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sky82
i also have a base model canadian tsx but i want all the bells and whistles just not for the 7-8k premium tag for the tech package =/ trying to figure out seat memory also
Let me know if you figure out the seats? I think that's a tricky one, b/c there must be some control / memory module.

Good luck with your quest!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

There is a module on the front bottom of the driver seat. Also another memory sensor on the rail, plus the wiring to the door selector and memory to the key fob. Definitely not a small project.

I wished Acura Canada would have lowered the price by $7K on all the TSX model, then they can eliminate the Canadian Base, just have Premium and Tech like the US, based on 09 pricing- Premium 6MT would be $29K and Tech 6MT would have been $32K. They would have been able to sell a lot more TSX and people won't have to deal with a decontent Canadian Base model with a starting price of $32K.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:01 AM
Instructor

There is a module on the front bottom of the driver seat. Also another memory sensor on the rail, plus the wiring to the door selector and memory to the key fob. Definitely not a small project.

I wished Acura Canada would have lowered the price by $7K on all the TSX model, then they can eliminate the Canadian Base, just have Premium and Tech like the US, based on 09 pricing- Premium 6MT would be $29K and Tech 6MT would have been $32K. They would have been able to sell a lot more TSX and people won't have to deal with a decontent Canadian Base model with a starting price of $32K.
Honda / Acura Canada probably has price elasticity data which shows them how to optimize their net profit (profit per unit x sales volume). They are a corporation and they don't care about how people feel; they only care about how people feel if it affects their bottom line (in the near or long term).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand

Thus they pay these stupid pricing games which ultimately is no good for the consumers in Canada and as long as many other auto manufactures keep playing this game, then it's sustainable in the short term. In addition, the game of not honoring the warranty of a US purchased car is another way of supporting these pricing games.

THE END GAME IS TO ABUSE CANADIANS JUST ENOUGH SO THAT THEY WILL STILL BUY CARS IN CANADA, BUT NO OVERLY ABUSE THEM SO THAT A LARGE PERCENTAGE WILL GO AND PURCHASE CARS IN THE USA. This is what separates a good dictator and a bad one. A bad one does not get over thrown

Keeping it real
Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good news sr20bet- sort of.

The Standard Base Canadian 2011 TSX model now comes with USB connector, XM, auto headlights as well as foglights.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Instructor

That is great news for all those who are picking up 11's in Canada. Acura should've upped their game long ago. I guess you win some and you lose some; me being the loser in this case

Hopefully they won't be slashing 9k off the 2011 tsx; other wise I got shafted bad on this round :yuck

I would've paid an extra $200 for the auto headlights and $300 for the fogs and $200 for the usb connector....but acura doesn't let you add things in this fashion for the 10's.

As an aside, I guess we'll never get a DIY on this topic as there number of tsx's out there without a usb plug is probably a small minority group.

Good news sr20bet- sort of.

The Standard Base Canadian 2011 TSX model now comes with USB connector, XM, auto headlights as well as foglights.