Got rear ended... WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got rear ended... WTF!

I had to drop my son off at my mom's house today, so I left a little earlier that usual. It was a little before 7am, so I should had ample time to get in to work before 8am. I make my way back on to the freeway, and see traffic is a bit slow, but still moving... I notice a couple cop cars merging into traffic, and one changes into my lane right in front of me. We continue on in the stop and go traffic, slowly moving forward, and then coming to a complete stop.

I was at a complete stop for a second or two, and looked up to check my rear view mirror... I usually check it whenever I stop to see if anyone is tailgating or going to hit me... I look up this time and see a silver carolla driving straight into my rear end. He had more than 3 car lengths to stop, but didn't.

Luckily my son wasn't in the car, and that cops were right there...

My wagon's bumper took the brunt of the hit... the carolla slid under my bumper and pushed my right muffler from the mount so its hanging down and scraping as I drive over speed bumps. The black trim piece on my bumper was torn off completely. The tow hook is smashed in and it looks like my spare tire well is bent in... my rear tailgate has a few dents and scratches. The tailgate seems to work, but I'm not sure if it got bent out of alignment...

I gotta take it in for an appraisal tomorrow morning...

What a shitty way to start the morning. I have no idea how he could have rear ended me like that... he must not have been paying any attention when he was driving....
Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Yikes. Sounds like its going to be a mess trying to fix all that. Sorry to hear about your accident. I got in my first accident when I was driving the tsx, but it wasn't bad. I just got rear ended at about 20 mph. Mine was by a corolla too!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
haha my first accident also a corolla. i guess cause theyr so common.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TOYOTA DRIVERS

Nuff said.
The following users liked this post:
ed_423 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
atleast half the members here have had an incident with a camry or corolla... holy crap. i forgot which member it was, but there was someone with a wagon who also got rear ended, similar damage. talk to him if you'd like some info, glad your ok
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 09 TSX was hit twice, both when it was parked.
1st was by a Toyota Camry
2nd was by a Toyota Echo

Both nice people (left notes), but obviously have a car parking deficiency syndrome.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. At least you're OK.

Similar thing happend to my first TSX except I may have been hit a little harder. The total bill was about $8,000 in damage.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by divac
My 09 TSX was hit twice, both when it was parked.
1st was by a Toyota Camry
2nd was by a Toyota Echo

Both nice people (left notes), but obviously have a car parking deficiency syndrome.
Is it just me or is it ironic that he second Toyota that hit out was a Toyota Echo...

Anyways, just pretty pissed that my car got banged up pretty good... I'm 99% sure he was probably texting or on the phone when he hit me... I literally ha enough to look into my rear view mirror, see him coming, and say oh shtt before he hit me...

My biggest pet peeves are inattentive drivers... they in danger. Out only themselves but everyone around them.... all for something stupid like typing "lol" in a text or worse...

Now my car will have an accident on its record, and probably won't ever be the same...

Its a 2011, and I typically keep my cars for 8 or so years... so I have 7 more years with her... it would have been fine if it happened in the last year or two before I got a new car, but I may have to deal with long term issues and results from this accident....
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 712 Posts
Lol, the Toyota's want some of dat ass~

but man, that sucks. Hope everything works out well. :\ Got any pics of the damage?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
damn toyotas!!!

glad you are ok
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
must be those defective toyota gas pedals.
The following users liked this post:
MC MiYoung3269 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
Man that sucks as long as you're ok, hopefully the TSX survives this
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Advanced

Got some pics on my phone. Will upload if I have time tonight... cosmetically it doesn't look too bad since he slid under my bumper, just scared what went on under there...

Glad it wasn't a suv...
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Sucks to hear, but I'm sure it will get fixed and will be like new.

My driver front door was hit by a Lexus ES350 on September 1st.

Stan
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
OMG! that is a lot of damage...that is a really sad story, hope all is well though
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
$100 bucks says they were texting or doing something on their phone.
I see these morons all the time. You can see them look up from their phone and slam on the brakes.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Okay, Corollas really have it out for us second geners. Sheesh...that sounds like a fuckload of damage. In for the pics as well...
Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 AM
Advanced

Photo Bomb... Taking a closer look tonight, the damage looks cosmetic from a far... The back tailgate is plastic (I didn't realize it was plastic till now), so the damage looks like cosmetic, primarily scratches and shallow dents.

You don't see the damage till you look under the bumper. In the photo below, you can see where his bumper slipped under mine, and wedged in above my right muffler. It now drags along maybe 4" off the ground...

Here you can see where his bumper made contact with my spare tire well and the tow hook.

Cosmetic damage on the tailgate.

Another shot of the dented in spare tire well and tow hook.

Interior shot of my spare tile well... The spare is now wedged in shoved towards the front and to the left... I couldn't get the spare loose...

I couldn't get far enough under my car to get a look at how my right exhaust piping is bent...

I have my appointment for an insurance estimate tomorrow morning...

Wish I took a picture of his car... it looked pretty fkd up in the front... hood smashed in, grill crushed in, bumper falling off, radiator leaking, etc...
Old 10-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
That really sucks! I get pissed just looking at the pics! Glad you're OK though, and your son wasn't in the car. That's what really matters.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
It was me who had the same thing happen in the same car essentially, but the car that hit me was a 2002 Civic. The damage here looks identical in terms of what parts were damaged, but worse in terms of the degree.

My thread is here but I've already taken down the pics, let me see if I can find them.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/rear-ended-tow-hook-spare-tire-well-damaged-864079/
Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
Ouch! Hope they can repair the spare tire wheel well to original specs and condition. Just painful to look at especially for a relatively new car.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 PM
CU2-Fred

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Dam...I'm sorry to hear that. A lot of these stupid drivers are either checking their Facebook status or texting someone. SMH...I hope your car gets fix asap.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Got my car inspected... $6,100 per their initial inspection, but they said they would need to get it u on a lift and pull it apart to get a more accurate assessment. The dbag still hasn't contacted his insurance, so they said they can't officially authorize work, or reimbursement.

The inspector said my car wasn't safe to drive as the exhaust looked like it could fall off. So I needed to leave it there and rent a car. But USAA (his insurance) said they couldn't authorize the rental! I spent 20min telling them I'm stuck and need a car to drive to work, and that they needed to guarantee me that they would pay for the rental, even though they haven't claimed liability yet since they haven't talked to their insured... I got them to agree, but still had to put $100 down for the damn car... I got a shitty Malibu too... POS...

I also talked to them about paying for the repairs because the repair shop said USAA typically cuts a check, and that I would be paying for the repairs.... F that.... I told them they needed to pay the shop directly, cause I wasn't going to foot the bill and hope to get a check in the mail that covered it. Got them to agree to pay the shop directly....

I'm so irked by this whole situation...
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
sorry to hear about ur accident glad your ok. on another note a corolla rear ended a malibu then it hit me lol
Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident . Thats a lot of damage under car. Your car will never be the same, no matter how good body shop is . The other hit you will take is the carfax hit. The amount of damage will follow that car till its scraped. When you go to sell or trade it it will bite you again. Just because some moron wasn't paying attention . Becareful insurance will try to heat and bend exhaust system back in place instead of replacing it with new Acura parts . Again sorry about your mishap .
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JTRADAR61
Sorry to hear about your accident . Thats a lot of damage under car. Your car will never be the same, no matter how good body shop is . The other hit you will take is the carfax hit. The amount of damage will follow that car till its scraped. When you go to sell or trade it it will bite you again. Just because some moron wasn't paying attention . Becareful insurance will try to heat and bend exhaust system back in place instead of replacing it with new Acura parts . Again sorry about your mishap .
The shop went through the estimate with me, all parts were replacement, not repair... will inspect when I get it back... I won't get my car back till at least 11/5 per their current estimate...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cisobe
The shop went through the estimate with me, all parts were replacement, not repair... will inspect when I get it back... I won't get my car back till at least 11/5 per their current estimate...
Good make sure they are using Acura replacement parts and no aftermarket . Car is to new. Stay on body shop when it's in for repair. I have same color forged silver on mine, I hear it's hard but not impossible to match paint up . I feel bad for you stinks that it happened to new car . Good luck .
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Years ago I was rear ended like that, a few months later I could hear an exhaust leak from the headers. Apparently the force of the impact traveled up the exhaust pipe and messed up the the gaskets. Something to mention to the shop. Good luck with the repairs. Also after that accident my spare tire well became a nice lake when it rained.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 354 Posts
Sorry to hear and I feel your pain, literally! I was rear ended while stopped at a red light and then pushed into another vehicle in March of this year by a driver who was found to be drunk and DOUBLE the legal limit AND on drugs! She was not driving a Toyota, though.

The important part is that you are okay! Yes, it really sucks when this happens and it is such a nightmare to deal with (I dealt with crap for MONTHS after the accident) but the old adage is definitely true: the metal can always be replaced, you can't be!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hope everything works out perfect for you. In my first TSX (05) I got rear ended twice, one at about 25 mph and the other at like 10mph. The first one I got a new rear bumper and the paint didnt quite match my meteor silver metallic as I think the shop used glacier blue metallic. It bugged the hell out of me that the bumper was slightly off as it caught my eye everytime I looked at my car. The second impact just put an impression of the other drivers front plate on my bumper and they worked it out and refinished the paint. Now, I am scared of other drivers not paying attention when out in my new TSX. All my paint matches (it should as it is all original) and I want to keep it that way.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Was rear ended in my 2005 Legacy GT 1 week after picking it up. Hounded the repair shop and they ended up doing a great job (but I stayed on top of it and let them know that I would accept nothing less than perfect as it was a new car).

My son got T-Boned in his 1 year old Lancer GTS by an Explorer. Total repair cost was within $600 of being totaled. Once again, told the repair shop (a different one) that we would only accept genuine Mitsubishi parts and that I was very particular about the cars and the repair had to be top notch. Damage was from the B pillar to the rear bumper and included having to replace the rear sail panel, rear door and rear quarter panel . Suspension was bent, 1 rim bent, blah, blah, blah. Long story short, you cannot tell it has been hit. They did an outstanding job and except for 2 minor things, no issues whatsoever. Even matched the blue perfectly so it can be done.

One thing you might want to push for is some sort of compensation for loss of value. On a new car, if there is significant damage, then you might be able to get some sort of additional compensation for the fact that the future value is going to be lower due to their insured's incompetence. If they give you any crap, tell them your neck hurts and you have appointments with a doctor and an attorney....

My 2 cents.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mr. TTL
One thing you might want to push for is some sort of compensation for loss of value. On a new car, if there is significant damage, then you might be able to get some sort of additional compensation for the fact that the future value is going to be lower due to their insured's incompetence.
I've heard of people actually making that work before and I've heard it completely backfire an go up in a cloud of smoke. At least try. But they don't really have to give you anything on that subject.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Well, as it stands, the douche bag still hasn't called his insurance, or responded to their calls... I might have to go through my insurance, for the repairs, and pay the damn deductible. I also might need to redo the estimate (so stupid, Geico said they need their adjuster to review... but the shop I went to is a USAA and Geico approved shop).
Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
So if a person runs into you and they don't respond to calls from their insurance company, then you can't claim their insurance?

Hope everything works out in your favor!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DLCU2
So if a person runs into you and they don't respond to calls from their insurance company, then you can't claim their insurance?

Hope everything works out in your favor!
That appears to be the case... the ass at still hasn't contacted his insurance company, so work hasn't started on my car.... I've been in a crap ass Malibu rental since 10/11. Which I might not get reimbursed for, cause this ass hat hasn't answered his insurance companies calls or called in the accident... I called his insurance several times and my insurance company...

Just to get work started, I had my insurance company start the claim under my insurance and let them chase down USAA. Now I have to pay my $500 deductible... hopefully its cleared up before the work is done in 25 days... since I don't have coverage for a rental car under my insurance, I have to chase USAA down on my own....

This fkin sucks ass....
Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
That's sounds crazy. I would think that with a police report, you would be able to claim his insurance company right away.

If he never contacts his insurance company, you can't get them to pay? What's the difference from a hit and run then?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks..

Glad your child wasn't in the car to take the impact

Hope everything works out in your favor
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
deal with only your insurance company, pay the deductible. after they claim against the other drivers company, they will reimburse you the deductible. the other company also has a legal obligation to cover an equivalent rental car for you to use, otherwise you can sue for missed pay and shit
Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PyroDave
deal with only your insurance company, pay the deductible. after they claim against the other drivers company, they will reimburse you the deductible. the other company also has a legal obligation to cover an equivalent rental car for you to use, otherwise you can sue for missed pay and shit

Ya, I called my insurance company today to get work started. The guy still hasn't called in. WTF, seriously people should take responsibility for their actions...

A Malibu is definitely not an equal to my TSX Wagon... they said a "standard" car is all I get... technically they haven't even authorized it...
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced

The ass hat finally responded to his insurance or called in.... Of course my insurance company just finished their assessment and just cut the check to the auto body shop... but we were able to have my insurance void the check, and have his insurance cut a new check to the shop. I was also able to settle my rental and have USAA take care of the payments.

I also inquired about diminished value to my car. The rep ok'd it and said she would send some paper work for that.. I did a quick check on KBB, my car is only 1 year old, in my opinion very good condition prior to this accident). Based on this, private sale would be $29,054 with damage to. Body and frame per kbb it would classify it as fair, $26,154.... so about $2,900. Doubt I'll get all of that.... I hope I can though....

Quick Reply: Got rear ended... WTF!