Going from SUV to TSX...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going from SUV to TSX...

Hey guys..first post here..been reading around for the last few days..

Currently I drive a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi..I love it (4WD, being higher off the ground, cargo space) but the mileage I get is horrendous (12 city/16-17 highway) and honestly am tired of paying for gas up here in CT

Began toying with the idea of trading it in for something smaller, better mileage, etc. The 2nd gen TSX definitely caught my eye. Seems to get good mileage, as well as being pretty luxurious. My Jeep is fully loaded with navi and everything, so I would definitely get a TSX with Tech package..I test drove an 09 with Tech a few days ago and loved it..but I think if i go through with getting one I would lease a 2012 as the deals are looking good now

My question is...did anyone here driving a TSX come from an SUV? What did you like/dislike/notice? Are you loving the decision or regretting it?

Any help is appreciated..sorry for the long first post but want to make sure I do my due diligence before I pull the trigger!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a TSX owner, not a former SUV owner either... but one plus the TSX has that you probably know about is the folding rear seats. I drove a van for a bit and I really miss the "put whatever I want in the back" option. I'm sure having folding seats would help out a ton with that.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
my first car was my 2010 TSX, i love it. my mom has a 2011 MDX, i used to practice driving on my moms old honda pilot, also drove an ML350 for a while with my permit. i've driven my boy's 2010 grand cherokee(that thing has an insane amount of pull). i love my TSX. you wont feel cramped, because its still a fairly big car, but i love the drive. its so much more nimble and tossable. i've been driving the MDX the past week because my baby is in the shop, and i dont like it compared to mine. its cool sitting high up, feels boss. but ttaking a turn, it feels like im falling
Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The very first car I drove for a while was my parent's range rover untill I got sedan similar to the tsx. Basically the sedan was better for fuel economy, handling, and was much more enjoyable to drive and park everywhere. The only thing I really miss is the all wheel drive. I also kinda liked how the suv handled all the shitty NYC roads and potholes, though I don't think that would be a major issue for you.

Also, a great point in the TSX's folding seats as it has helped me carry a bunch of stuff numerous times. Just remember that the opening where it leads to the passenger compartment narrows due to the wishbone suspension, so you can fit large wide objects. Other than that, I think the fuel economy and handling far outweighs the benefits of a traditional SUV.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Safety Car

oh and in addition, we just got a new member also from CT, so you can join him for a drive down to nyc/nj for one of our meets =D we're all really friendly people and rape is simply a preferred method of initiation, but you don't have to engage
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Advanced

I came from a 4dr Toyota Tacoma V6 to a 2011 TSX Wagon. The car feels peppy and sporty compared to my truck. Its feels light and nimble through traffic, not the most powerful car, but pleasantly adequate. The wagon has a decent amount of storage, and I'm able to move a decent amount of stuff with seat down. Gas mileage is awesome compared to my truck. I used to get 16mpg, now I'm averaging 26mpg.

I'm loving my wagon, and don't regret getting rid of my truck. If you're worried abiyt space check the wagon out, it has a lot of room, it also looks pretty sweet.

Last edited by cisobe; 04-26-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I went from an 07 TrailBlazer to my 09 TSX. I still have it if I need to do truck things like tow the boat and when you need to put the kids gear and coolers and golf clubs all at the same time. I drive about 70-80 miles a day back and forth to work. The gas with the SUV sucked. I'm over 32 mpg with the TSX and it's just so much more fun to drive. I do not regret it at all. Now, I hate driving the SUV. Ask yourself what you really need the SUV for.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a TSX Dude! just bought mine new 3 weeks ago. I did my due diligence in detail. Im coming from an 07 wrangler rubicon, (miss it, hope to have another wrangler someday). Still have a silverado Z71 right now, but only because i need it. Love the tsx, and im a single guy, not like i need it for family. i waited a week, ordered blue with tech package.

Before i decided on TSX, my choices where new in this order: C250 Coupe mercedes (redesign in the works for 2014), Toyota camry se (too longish family sizeish), Acura ILX (too small), 2013 Hyundai Genesis coupe (rwd fun but not practical for daily driving imo), Subaru Impreza (cheap, best mpg, but CVT tranny isnt proven reliable yet for long term).
Something about the TSX stuck. i wanted a long term car. preferred FWD for daily driver, 4cyl reliability and ease of maintenance, and mpg efficiency. Also, read that its supposedly to discontinue, id love having a car that wont be replaced by a newer model. So i was sold. Now, im just saving for springs and wheels. Ive done my homework down to the millimeter offset of the wheels i want and fitment.

it's night and day going from truck suv to a car. It handles awesome in factory spec. Lighter, nimble. Feels like a better more efficient use of gas /materials.

Last edited by jrubicon; 04-26-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a 2011 Acura RDX before picking up my current TSX. The only thing I miss about it is the rear window wiper--that's it. My RDX was AWD, but still slid around in the snow. My TSX on the other hand, tackled the snow like a champ. The RDX put out 240 HP and 260 lbs of torque, but the power to weight is roughly the same on my TSX. I'm getting 150% of the fuel mileage. Since my wife has a Honda Fit, I don't really miss the hatch space. Sitting higher up off the ground did make getting in and out easier. If you want performance, I suggest the 6MT...but then you'll have to skip out on Tech or purchase preowned.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Thanks for all of the replies! Yea, the biggest thing for me is getting better gas mileage..that's how the whole idea of getting a smaller car started..but of course I still wanted something that looked sick and had some of the luxuries that I had in the Jeep..

I know this can be (and has been) debated forever, but did any of you lease your TSX? I've never leased before, though my mom just leased a 2011 Honda CRV and she said it was a pretty easy process. How is Acura in this regard? Would anyone recommend buying over leasing?

If I were to buy, it would have to be an 09 or 10 as I couldn't afford buying a 2012 Tech brand new...thanks again
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Mryank9
I know this can be (and has been) debated forever, but did any of you lease your TSX? I've never leased before, though my mom just leased a 2011 Honda CRV and she said it was a pretty easy process. How is Acura in this regard? Would anyone recommend buying over leasing?

If I were to buy, it would have to be an 09 or 10 as I couldn't afford buying a 2012 Tech brand new...thanks again
I drove a Ford Explorer and a Jeep Wrangler prior to leasing my first TSX sedan. I really liked the TSX's handling and ride quality. I leased a new TSX sport wagon last month. I miss the Jeep in winter.

Acura/Honda Finance have good lease deals, and are easy to work with. My local dealer pretty much sticks to the lease numbers available on Acura's website. I work from home now, so I don't need more than 10,000 miles a year. When I had the Explorer I was driving 15,000 plus miles a year, so leasing didn't really make sense. I purchased the Explorer.

You can always buy the vehicle at the end of the lease.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
i came from a 2007 Grand Cherokee.

i went with a wagon/

the biggest differences that I notice:

just getting in and out. Im 6'2 and it takes a MOVE to get it done.
and the feeling that SUVs cannot see you/

one more thing: the biggest reason I got away from Chrysler was the horrendous treatment by the Stealers. We have about 4 that i can get to and they ALL SUCKED. I am new to the import market and/or Acura but so far the dealer seems more REAl.

try a wagon
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all of the replies! Yea, the biggest thing for me is getting better gas mileage..that's how the whole idea of getting a smaller car started..but of course I still wanted something that looked sick and had some of the luxuries that I had in the Jeep..

I lease exclusively because I like to have something new every 2-3 years and would trade always having a payment for always having a warranty and never replacing tires, etc. It's all about equity though--how much your lease will be worth at the end and how well you'll take care of it. I've always had great payments and now have enough equity that my payment is ~$260 and I only paid the first months payment. I hade $3500 in equity on my last lease, and didn't pay much into that one either.

Some will argue that rates are so low that you can buy for as much as you can lease, so that is something to consider.

As for modding--I've never worried about modding on a leased vehicle...it's not the smartest investment, but I've always sold my parts off when I turned the lease back in.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Instructor

How long do you plan on keeping it? if under 4 years then a lease would make sense. If longer, it may not make sense as typically the interest rates and fees in a lease are higher than a traditional auto loan as there are always 0.9% or 0% apr deals. Also it depends on how big of a down payment you are planning to put in. Usually it is not wise to put in a large down payment for a lease as if you total the car during the lease period, you do not get any of your initial payment back as the insurance will pay off Acura financial rather than you.

Leases work best with low down payments and with smart shopping. You cannot haggle interest rates and such, but you can haggle the "cap cost" or selling price of the car that is used to compute the lease. I did that by emailing a bunch of dealers in the tri state area until I settled on one in Long Island. I believe my selling price was around 27,500 and I just paid the taxes upfront which was around $2,300. In the end my monthly payments are around 270/month. Acura usually has really good interests rates on leases, so basically if I were to buy out the car at lease end, I would have paid only around $800 in interest over the 3 years.

Last edited by denwhat; 04-26-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by LC2ner
I lease exclusively because I like to have something new every 2-3 years and would trade always having a payment for always having a warranty and never replacing tires, etc. It's all about equity though--how much your lease will be worth at the end and how well you'll take care of it. I've always had great payments and now have enough equity that my payment is ~$260 and I only paid the first months payment. I hade $3500 in equity on my last lease, and didn't pay much into that one either.

Some will argue that rates are so low that you can buy for as much as you can lease, so that is something to consider.

As for modding--I've never worried about modding on a leased vehicle...it's not the smartest investment, but I've always sold my parts off when I turned the lease back in.
Originally Posted by denwhat
How long do you plan on keeping it? if under 4 years then a lease would make sense. If longer, it may not make sense as typically the interest rates and fees in a lease are higher than a traditional auto loan as there are always 0.9% or 0% apr deals. Also it depends on how big of a down payment you are planning to put in. Usually it is not wise to put in a large down payment for a lease as if you total the car during the lease period, you do not get any of your initial payment back as the insurance will pay off Acura financial rather than you.

Leases work best with low down payments and with smart shopping. You cannot haggle interest rates and such, but you can haggle the "cap cost" or selling price of the car that is used to compute the lease. I did that by emailing a bunch of dealers in the tri state area until I settled on one in Long Island. I believe my selling price was around 27,500 and I just paid the taxes upfront which was around $2,300. In the end my monthly payments are around 270/month. Acura usually has really good interests rates on leases, so basically if I were to buy out the car at lease end, I would have paid only around $800 in interest over the 3 years.
Leasing appears to be minunderstood. There is no such thing as "equity" in anything resembling a consumer lease.

You negotiate a price, add any aquisition fees, taxes and what-not and apply the money factor to come up with your monthly fees. Everything except for state fees and taxes is negotiable (including the money factor through the use of multiple security deposits.) At the end, you pay any lease turn in fees (that you negotiated in advance) and hand them the keys.

You can also pay the residual (also known up front and negotiable at lease turn in) and buy the car, but at no point are they going to give you a wad of money unless it is a refund of some money you've already paid up front.

You are renting a car, plain and simple and any money you give the company is gone for good.

Leasing is only good if you want a new car every three years or so, drive few miles, take care of your car appearance wise and document all the required maintenance and want to know exactly what the car is going to cost you over the 3 years that you "own" it.

Leases are bad for people who drive many miles or who keep their cars a long time. Leasing is a more expensive proposition than buying although the monthly payments may be lower. Dealers will always suck you in with "low monthly payments but my calculation above is correct - negotiated cost plus fees and taxes plus total of monthly payments plus lease turn is costs plus residual is the "true cost" of the car. For those of you who lease the car - do the calculation and see what you really paid. You might be surprised.

Last edited by ceb; 04-26-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Back to the subject at hand. Many have come from an SUV to either a wagon or sedan.

It takes a few weeks to get used to the lower driving position. You won't miss the power in daily driving no matter what you come from unless you are a stoplight racer.I came from a 335 and don't miss the power.

The only thing I kind of miss is AWD. I always do winter tires regardless of vehicle type and FWD works fine with a bit of adaptation of driving style. I'm not sure that I'd switch from AWD to FWD in mid winter but switching now will let you get used to FWD well before the funky weather.

My BMW was 3 years old and had a ton of problems. My TSX wagon starts every morning, doesn't stall at intersections and gets 8mpg more in the city.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Leasing appears to be minunderstood. There is no such thing as "equity" in anything resembling a consumer lease.

You negotiate a price, add any aquisition fees, taxes and what-not and apply the money factor to come up with your monthly fees. Everything except for state fees and taxes is negotiable (including the money factor through the use of multiple security deposits.) At the end, you pay any lease turn in fees (that you negotiated in advance) and hand them the keys.

You can also pay the residual (also known up front and negotiable at lease turn in) and buy the car, but at no point are they going to give you a wad of money unless it is a refund of some money you've already paid up front.

You are renting a car, plain and simple and any money you give the company is gone for good.

Leasing is only good if you want a new car every three years or so, drive few miles, take care of your car appearance wise and document all the required maintenance and want to know exactly what the car is going to cost you over the 3 years that you "own" it.

Leases are bad for people who drive many miles or who keep their cars a long time. Leasing is a more expensive proposition than buying although the monthly payments may be lower. Dealers will always suck you in with "low monthly payments but my calculation above is correct - negotiated cost plus fees and taxes plus total of monthly payments plus lease turn is costs plus residual is the "true cost" of the car. For those of you who lease the car - do the calculation and see what you really paid. You might be surprised.
I know your correct about everything you rebuke on...but there is equity in leasing. It's simply what you owe vs what you can get. I have always ended up having a vehicle worth well over what my residual is because of how well I take care of my vehicles. It's just like a house, where it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, but I never walked away from a lease empty handed. Also, unlike buying where you are stuck with the burden, if for some reason the model devalues significantly, you just walk away from a lease.

And for the record, all of the vehicles I have leased have been returned over mileage, and there's never been a question. Of course, if you walk away from the brand, you may not do as well on a lease or trade as you would with an Acura dealer.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
oh and in addition, we just got a new member also from CT, so you can join him for a drive down to nyc/nj for one of our meets =D we're all really friendly people and rape is simply a preferred method of initiation, but you don't have to engage
where are these meets? I've never been told about them and i live in CT. what's with the preferential treatment

/back on topic

Just curious, what are your reasons for choosing the tsx over other cars in the price range. For me personally, I wish I took a look at the Jetta GLI before I pulled the trigger on the tsx.

As far as transitioning from an SUV, a lot of people seem to be doing that these days, which is funny because a lot of high-end auto manufacturers are making suvs e.g. maserati and lambo. In any event, SUVs are overrated, the only thing they have is the high ground clearance, which wasn't / hasn't been a problem during the winter months in CT for me.

Last edited by spdandpwr; 04-26-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Given the low lease rates and the high resale value of the tsx, I think leasing is the way to go. With leasing, you can buy the car out at the end of the term and it's a significantly cheaper monthly payment than financing the car for 5 years @ 1.9.

I lease my tsx and couldn't be happier with my payment / decision. Besides, you can always break a lease with honda (assuming you don't mind paying for the negative equity)...i've done it twice now.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LC2ner
I know your correct about everything you rebuke on...but there is equity in leasing. It's simply what you owe vs what you can get. I have always ended up having a vehicle worth well over what my residual is because of how well I take care of my vehicles. It's just like a house, where it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, but I never walked away from a lease empty handed. Also, unlike buying where you are stuck with the burden, if for some reason the model devalues significantly, you just walk away from a lease.

And for the record, all of the vehicles I have leased have been returned over mileage, and there's never been a question. Of course, if you walk away from the brand, you may not do as well on a lease or trade as you would with an Acura dealer.
^exactly!1!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced

something about the look of the TSX I really like..and the known reliability of Honda/Acura..still haven't made my mind up totally per se, but basically there

Where in CT are you?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Safety Car

spd, the meets are in jersey, by the menlo park mall, check out the ny/nj regionals section

mryank, if you come down to the nyc area a decent amount, or are willing to go to north jersey to pick up the car, i can put you in touch to my guy at my dealership, he gives some of the best deals around. stak got his car from him too.

i leased, and im paying $330 a month for 36 months for a base 5AT 2010 in march of 2010. thats with 0 down, and all taxes and fees rolled into the payments. no trades
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My wife went from a 07 Grand Cherokee to our 2010 TSX. The best part of the Jeep was that it was a tank in the snow, I hear the TSX does fairly well in the snow but since we've had it we haven't had it out in the snow. The TSX is plenty roomy for 4 adults, although for anything more then a weekend trip storage space would be really tight.

The biggest pro is better resale, great looks, much better mpg (28 average compared to 17 with the Jeep), the TSX is also much more fun to drive and just in a different league as far as refinement.

Leasing vs. buying is based on personal preference and what you can afford. Some people lease due to the lower monthly payment, but some people lease just because they like driving something different every 3 years. I don't think I"ll ever lease a vehicle, owning just makes more sense to me but everyone will have their own opinion. Join the club and get a TSX, I highly doubt you'll regret it.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The tsx definately doesnt feel small when your inside. Im 6'10 and i feel very comfortable inside. It is actually one of the most comfortable cars ive driven and ive driven an a4, 3 series, clk, and i even have more room in this than most SUV's ive driven like an explorer, pathfinder, and toyota highlander. And the folding rear seats definitely help with transporting alot of stuff. Plus it looks awesome, is fun to drive, luxurious, and gets good mpg.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
For those of you who lease the car - do the calculation and see what you really paid. You might be surprised.
Right. Like I said the amount I pay extra to lease the car over a three year period versus outright purchase was around 800 when I completed my spreadsheets. While I agree with everything you said, you need to keep in mind that there are times where leases have very low money factors which makes them a decent deal.

If you were to buy a car, you would have to pay for the interest of your loan, which would be a few hundred over the same three year period. In NY, you also have to pay taxes for the entire car's purchase price, rather than the total of your lease payments.

Basically, it makes some sense to lease certain cars with good residuals and when the company offers subsidized money factors. However, in basically all cases, leases don't make sense if you plan to keep the car for more than 4 years or if you plan to drive a lot of miles.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
I drive my TSX on the daily and depending on weather, I drive the family's Yukon XL. Probably just cuz I'm a kid, and I have no use for all that space. Everytime I drive that thing all I can do is count the minutes until I'm back in my TSX lmao.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For regular driving, I prefer any sedan over an SUV. The time an SUV is preferred is when I have big purchases or lots of highway miles. There's also snow. In the winter, there are time when I prefer the SUV simply because of the vantage point I get. Coming from a Honda Pilot, it basically towers over the cars on the road. It's also very convenient to plan your intended path by seeing several cars ahead and predict braking. Whereas if you're in a car behind me, you're going to be focusing on my SUV's ass the whole time >=P And its quite fun to push the SUV around after overnight heavy snowfalls. Around here, the amount of snow we usually get does not make the TSX or any car pleasant to drive around. Usually plow snow the first day after a fresh snowfall. The Pilot on the hand feels like it was meant for the snow. But once the city does get the graders out and sand the road, I'm a bit more split on the Pilot or TSX. Summer wise, there's not doubt, I'd prefer driving the TSX.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Drifting

something about the look of the TSX I really like..and the known reliability of Honda/Acura..still haven't made my mind up totally per se, but basically there

Where in CT are you?
best of luck on making your decision. I live in fairfield, by the way.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
We own a Pilot and a TL which is the same size as the TSX 2G. They are different vehicles and have different advantages. You need to determine your priorities:

if you need space and people capacity > 60%, go with a SUV. Since you're coming from a Grand Cherokee, you probably could go to a TSX. You have the same passenger capacity and lack a little cargo space.

We take our Pilot on out of town overnight trips 90% of the time. One day out of town trips are done in the TL 90% of the time. If you're worried about hauling stuff from Home Depot, I can tell you the sunroof with passthru/fold down seat opens up a lot of options. I have placed some large things in my TL over the years with no damage to the interior. For example, I hauled our new 48" flat screen TV in the TL in the back seat area.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced

thanks again guys...im getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on the TSX..now I just need to figure out a color! It's between the Crystal Black Pearl, Vortex Blue, and Graphic Luster Metallic..and definitely Ebony interior

spdandpwr, I'm in Hamden so not too far!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

i vote vortex, i love my color, the amount of compliments i get on it is awesome
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Drifting

thanks again guys...im getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on the TSX..now I just need to figure out a color! It's between the Crystal Black Pearl, Vortex Blue, and Graphic Luster Metallic..and definitely Ebony interior

spdandpwr, I'm in Hamden so not too far!
yea, hamden is pretty close, we could def do a ct meet. regarding color, it's either black or blue...I, like a lot of people on this board, don't think the graphite holds a candle next to the other two colors.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

You have over simplified the comparison in some cases. Leasing provides you with a lower, albeit ongoing, payment compared to buying. It does give you more flexibility in changing cars (i have leased three TSXs) although that comes at a price. However, If you potentially want to consider buying out the car at the end of a lease, as you expect to have more cash then vs the present, there are some calculations you can do. Compare your leasing costs plus financing the buyout price (plus taxes on buyout) to the cost of financing the total cost over the same period of time, including the opportunity cost of tying up any downpayment and higher payments in the purchase option. Depending upon rates, you might be surprised that the difference, particularly if you lease later on in a model year where the buyout (residual) amount is lower than the beginning of the year. A significantly lower leasing rate vs purchase rate can also make this a more realistic option vs outright purchase.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mapleloaf

You have over simplified the comparison in some cases. Leasing provides you with a lower, albeit ongoing, payment compared to buying. It does give you more flexibility in changing cars (i have leased three TSXs) although that comes at a price. However, If you potentially want to consider buying out the car at the end of a lease, as you expect to have more cash then vs the present, there are some calculations you can do. Compare your leasing costs plus financing the buyout price (plus taxes on buyout) to the cost of financing the total cost over the same period of time, including the opportunity cost of tying up any downpayment and higher payments in the purchase option. Depending upon rates, you might be surprised that the difference, particularly if you lease later on in a model year where the buyout (residual) amount is lower than the beginning of the year. A significantly lower leasing rate vs purchase rate can also make this a more realistic option vs outright purchase.
Of course. A few years ago I negotiated a lease for my sister on her second RL. She is the perfect candidate for a lease - low annual miles, always wants a car under warranty and so forth.

Since she got a really good price on the car, used her old RL as a down payment and paid for the lease upfront, the lease was cheaper than buying it outright but leasing is seldom a cheaper alternative.

Leasing isn't bad, but as with all things, you need to look at the whole picture and work out all the costs rather than focusing on what the dealer wants you to focus on - the monthly payment.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

yank, due to either your post count or how long you've been a member, your PM box is still restricted. you are only allowed 1 PM, so to receive a reply from me, you have to delete your sent message first. anyway, its Ramsey Acura, my guy there is stu. i can get you his contact information if you'd like. stak was the last person i sent to him, so you can ask him how good his deal was. just shoot me another PM when ya clear it, and i'll give you a few min to delete the sent PM after i receive it
Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced

thanks pyro..deleted my sent messages
Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went from a leased base 2007 RDX to a base 2010 TSX purchase. I opted not to buy the RDX simply due to the turbo engine. If it ever went down, it's would be very expensive to fix. Now add the Acura name on and multiply by 2 or 3 to fix it. The TSX sustained $9000 in damages this past Nov. in a rear end collision with a Chevy Trailblazer - pushing me into the Mustang ahead. Not a scratch on me but with that amount of damage no way was I keeping it. Standard features alone make the TSX a super bargain. This past summer I drove from FL to WI. With a payload of approximately 500 lbs, air set to 74 degrees, mostly flat hwy driving I averaged (hand calculated) 36-37 mpg very briefly hitting 38. On the way back with 750 lbs payload and same driving conditions averaged (hand calculated) 34-35 mpg. All said, I ended up getting into a 2012 Subaru Outback. The main reason-the TSX low seat position was a killer on comfort for me. I found myself squirming after 15 minutes of driving and @ 2 hours had a numb bottom. Never had that experience with the RDX. Had it not been for the accident I would definitely give the 2013 RDX a hard look!