Former 1st gen owners: Do you like the paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008 | 11:35 PM
Racer

Former 1st gen owners: Do you like the paddle shifters

For those who moved from a 1st gen to a 2nd gen, or who had a sportshift previously, do you like the paddle shifters more or less than the grabbing the knob?

I like the feel of a sportshift, and I am not sure I'd like yet two more buttons on the steering column. The manumatic at least feels closer to an MT for those of us who can't have one for WAF and other reasons.
Old 09-02-2008 | 10:47 AM
Advanced

I didn't have a 1GEN TSX, but my previous car, a Mitsubishi Eclipse did have sportshifting and I've owned a couple manual shift cars in the past. I really like the paddle shifters on the 2GEN TSX. I like keeping both hands on the steering wheel while shifting through curves.
One thing that throws off a natural shifting pattern is when you are starting from a stop and enter a sharp turn right away. I've found that, for example, turning left from a stop, the upshift paddle may end up down around 8 or 9'oclock when you're ready to shift into 2nd and your hand isn't down there. Just need to adjust your timing a bit and shift earler or later than you would normally.
Old 09-02-2008 | 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

As tallguy said, the only problem with paddle shifters is when the steering wheel is upside down. If the paddles were mounted to the steering column, it would have been better.

However, the implementation of the system is superior to the earlier generation for several reasons. 1) You can call for a shift while still in 'D' 2) You can enter sport mode and NOT use the paddle shifters and benefit from more aggressive shifts. 3) As tallguy said, you can keep both hands on the wheel.
Old 09-02-2008 | 03:25 PM
Trill

im pretty sure the reason why the paddle shifters are attached to the actual wheel is to prevent you from shifting while turning, which may be a safety hazard or something
Old 09-03-2008 | 07:20 PM
Racer

kixo...As a 1st gen owner, i was REALLY upset when the paddles came out, I went for the test drive and was the thing I HATED the most about the 09 TSX....after one week of having the car, I could not do without the paddles!! I absolutely love them now!! If that is something that worries you, rest assured, you will fall in love with them!