first gen tsx to 2nd gen.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first gen tsx to 2nd gen.

Hi guys,

I'm seriously thinking about swapping out my 2007 TSX with Navi for a 2010 - 2011 TSX. I think I would most likely stay with the same engine (for gas mileage), but I was wondering if those of you that went from a first gen to a 2nd gen were happy with the switch? I love my first gen, but after having a loaner 2010 TSX earlier this week, I'm starting to have thoughts about trading up. There are things that I like better about both generations, but I just want to make sure that I don't regret trading up. I'd love to hear all of your thoughts!

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Instructor

i drove the loaner tsx as well, and the only thing i liked are the gauges and new navi resolution.........but not the steering
Old 10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by extracrunchie
i drove the loaner tsx as well, and the only thing i liked are the gauges and new navi resolution.........but not the steering
Similar experience with me as well. I did like that the car was a little bit bigger, but I swear that my first gen TSX handles better. Anyway, I'm really on the fence about this.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep, it's tough. They definitely have their differences. I think the 2G is more comfortable and less harsh riding, plus some additional tech gadgets, but it doesn't handle as well IMO. I think unless something is really bothering you about your 1G, or you just really want a new car, I'd keep what you have. Last thing you want is buyer's remorse.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just traded in my 06 6spd pwp w/navi & ebony interior for a 10 6spd w/techpkge & ebony interior today.

I'm very satisfied with the upgrade. A couple things I'd like to point out:

- Drive by wire throttle has improved tremedously in the 2nd gen. The response is better and feels more connected between the pedal and throttle body (kind of like a throttle cable).
- I don't know if the shifting can get any better with a K-series tranny. Even with the mugen shifter (which I just realized about) in the 06, the tranny in the 2nd gen tsx is butter! Even the tranny in the 05 RSX-S I owned can't hold a candle to the 2nd gen tsx tranny.
- IMO, I prefer the electronic power steering over the previous system. I wish my 05 RSX-S had the EPS from the Civic EP3. Road feedback feels about the same.
- The navigation system has a bunch of new bells and whistles! voice commands for virtually every menu is a big thumbs up in my book. The mic has dramatically improved (the navi in the 06 could never understand what the wifey was saying). Pairing a phone is simpler. I like that they moved away from the touch screen, I spent too much time being distracted by spelling mistakes. I do wish the controller/d-pad was down in between the shifter and cup holder.
- I'm not really into the gauges/instrument panel. I'm not use to the new needles yet.

There is more but I'm half paying attention to what I'm typing and watching the Phillies/Giants game.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Racer

My sister has a 08 TSX and what I envy about her car is the raw simplicity of that car. The handling makes the drive so much fun, the throttle response is better, and you can see all the corners easily when your driving(ex. blind spot). What I do like about my car('10 tsx) is that it looks more masculine, curvy looks, awesome tech, and the interior. Bottom line, if you love driving the first gen tsx brings it; the second gen has more luxury, looks, and is smoother, but the first gen tsx has the term that Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson uses "a soul".
Old 10-17-2010, 08:43 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
My original plans to trade my 06 tsx for a 11 tsx next June might not happen. There are things I do like about the 2nd gen but there are more things I like about my 1st gen one. I have no problems with my 06 and it is a very comfortable riding car for someone that does lots of driving. It soon will be 4 years old.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the size and quality improvement between the 1G and 2G TSX. Also, I like the sharp handling and responsiveness of the steering. I wish my 3G TL had handling like the 2G TSX does!

The only thing I wish they could improve upon is the noise level of the I4. It is really rough and unrefined sounding at idle like a washing machine is running.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 PM
PWP 2010 TSX

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
I like the size and quality improvement between the 1G and 2G TSX. Also, I like the sharp handling and responsiveness of the steering. I wish my 3G TL had handling like the 2G TSX does!

The only thing I wish they could improve upon is the noise level of the I4. It is really rough and unrefined sounding at idle like a washing machine is running.
^this. it is a bit rough but it's something you should be able to get used to. my rough idling didn't start until about 8k. imo, it doesn't sound like a washing machine is running.. at least not that loud.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Je t'aime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a choice between the 1G TSX or 2G TSX when my dad got me the car. I choose the 1G TSX, because after driving both cars I concluded, my dad also. That the 2G TSX has lost a bit of the "sporty" ways compared to the 1G. The 2G is more luxurious, true. It has more features that a 1G TSX owner would like to have, but wouldn't really need. I'm into the driving experience, and I just thought the 1G TSX gives a better expensive. Nimbler, lighter, and more edgier. The 1G TSX feels more fun to drive.

My advice: If you want love the driving experience keep the 1G TSX, but if you really want the new tech that is offered in the 2G then get the 2G.

In an economic point of view for you is don't get a new car. You have a 2007 TSX, which is still considered "new". Wait for the 3G TSX. They might change the grille =)
Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Between these two, you need to distinguish between "handling" and "steering feel." The 1G had better steering feel, no question. It feels more "locked-in" for tracking, and has better feedback. But in my opinion, the 2G has superior handling dynamics, with less body roll and better controlled body motions generally. Its limits are probably higher, though I don't know the specs. And, despite the numb feel, especially on-center, the steering has a linear response and nice weight, and thus affords precise car placement. It's a strange combination of characteristics in my experience. (I seriously hope they improve the feel for the next generation though, or I might be back into European machinery.)

I don't find the engine rough at all, except when cold like all four cylinder motors. Mine has smoothed out quite nicely, and is easily the smoothest four in any car I've owned. Some might be smoother, like the WRX's boxer four, but I think the TSX is great in this respect.