End of lease contract question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Be Yourself: Be Present

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question End of lease contract question

Hi,

I have a question about lease obligation. Here's the story...

My TSX was due on Feb 21 but I wasn't ready to choose my next car yet so I had my dealership extend my lease until March 21. He was never worried about the few days over that I was still driving the car, which I found odd because I hadn't yet signed the extension papers, so I found it curious how he could allow me to drive a car that was officially not mine anymore. In other words, whose responsibility was the car if something happened to it. Anyway, on March 18th I emailed my dealer asking him to extend it a second month...I never heard back. On March 31 he emailed back saying that he had been on vacation and could extend it if I wanted; I went in to talk to him personally and at that point signed for the new TL...delivery would be this week (April 10th or so).

Today I got a call from Acura HQ saying my car was 2 weeks overdue and they were going to charge me another month, and I'd need a another EOL inspection done (I was unclear as to whether I'd have to pay for this second inspection or not. I also have Lease Guard so I'm not sure it should matter unless I bring it back in an obviously broken state. The first inspection passed with flying colours.).

After just now speaking with my dealer about the situation we decided to extend my TSX yet again and delay the delivery of my new TL. This is acceptable to me so ultimately I think this post just comes down to curiosity (unless I'm missing something and you can point that out). When my original lease date was fast approaching (Feb 21) nobody called me about bringing it back (and all my ongoing, "new car negotiations" with my dealer never resulted in him caring that I still had it). When the extended lease date (Mar 21) was nearing, again, nobody called me to say "hey, bring us our car on the 21st at 3pm and we'll close it off". Knowing that he didn't care before, I just figured it was cool that I was still driving it, especially now since I just leased a new car from them.

What's the contract say about this...should I just be bringing it in and leaving the keys with anybody and walking away or should there have been an actual appointment made, etc?

Last edited by AZDJedi; 04-07-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The lease is not with the dealer is it? So, of course he does not care. Sounds to me like he did not extend anything.

I would turn it in and rent a car. Or just take delivery on the TL…not sure why you need all the delays.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Be Yourself: Be Present

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He extended it the first time...I had to come in and sign the paper.

According to Acura HQ it's already too late: if I turn it in now they'll still charge me the full month, so I may as well just keep it--unless my dealer will pay for the "mistake", which they won't.