Disabling electric steering assist?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Disabling electric steering assist?

I downloaded the manual and was wondering if there was a way to disable the electrice steering assist. There are the the fuse box diagrams with a fuse for the power assist. Anyone tried pulling this fuse and see if the car will throw errors?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Just an update:

I did a little googling and found out Audi and VW has similar "servotronic" assist. Some owners are going under the dash and pulling out the relay and/or pulling the servotronice fuse out of the fuse box.

BMW also has a steering assist and they unplug a wire under the dash that feeds vehicle speed into the eletronic assist module.

The electric assist eliminates the hydraulic power steering of past cars. I'm wondering if the fuse was pulled if all power steering would be lost. Advanage of electric assist is that you dont need a to run a hydraulic pump off the engine anymore and you save on fuel/ gain power there. Similar to when they stopped running fans off the engine and switched over to electric fans. Most VW/AUDI/BMW drivers complained when you were right at the switch point of the system (more assist/less assit) and began to slow or speed up that the steering would feel very inconsistant.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thunderbt3....I am not sure I'd feel comfortable tinkering with the car's steering but then again, I am not much of a tinker kind of guy
Old 05-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSX
thunderbt3....I am not sure I'd feel comfortable tinkering with the car's steering but then again, I am not much of a tinker kind of guy
Ditto! S2000 guys asked the same thing back in 2000. In the end, even if it was possible, I doubt anyone would undertake such a thing.

Far too much liability. You know that one accident would put all the 'burden of proof' on Honda to prove that the update did not cause the crash.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
I downloaded the manual and was wondering if there was a way to disable the electrice steering assist. There are the the fuse box diagrams with a fuse for the power assist. Anyone tried pulling this fuse and see if the car will throw errors?
Darmok's Sure Fire Two Step Process For Disabling The Electric Steering Assist:
  1. Go to your local Acura dealer. Find the used section of their lot. Look for a 2004-2008 TSX. (If you can find one in the new section, so much the better.)
  2. Find a salesperson. Trade in your car for the used TSX.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Racer

darmok....Must say that this was pretty funny!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by darmok
Darmok's Sure Fire Two Step Process For Disabling The Electric Steering Assist:
  1. Go to your local Acura dealer. Find the used section of their lot. Look for a 2004-2008 TSX. (If you can find one in the new section, so much the better.)
  2. Find a salesperson. Trade in your car for the used TSX.

nice

I took delivery of the car and I've gotten used to the steering (20 min drive home). One thing I did have a concern about is that I was in a slight right turn. I turned the steering wheel maybe 10 degrees and the steering didnt seem like it wanted to return to center. Not sure if it was something on the road causing it or if it was the car. I'll do some test and if the problem persists, I'll be making a visit back to the dealer.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Racer

thunderbt3....I have heard that some GM products had similar "experience" in the past when they introduced these to the market and I am curious if this is a REAL problem or just people not used to the feel of these EPS and not 'feeling' the steering as its so different than your traditional hydraulic steerings....Hope its not a flaw in their design but as Colin said....they have been doing ESP in some cars so I doubt that they haven't properly developed these before implementation...
Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
nice

I took delivery of the car and I've gotten used to the steering (20 min drive home). One thing I did have a concern about is that I was in a slight right turn. I turned the steering wheel maybe 10 degrees and the steering didnt seem like it wanted to return to center. Not sure if it was something on the road causing it or if it was the car. I'll do some test and if the problem persists, I'll be making a visit back to the dealer.
Same exact thing with mine. I took mine back to the dealership and they had it for several days but said they couldn't see any problems. They let me take a couple of different 09 TSX loaners home during that time and drive them and pretty much came to the conclusion that it was just a characteristic of the EPS. Mine still does that but I have to say I really don't notice much anymore. Please update us if you find out anything different with yours!