didn't buy tech, anyone recommend a Garmin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:34 AM
2005 WDP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didn't buy tech, anyone recommend a Garmin?

I am thinking of the Nuvi 350, any other ones that you love?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 AM
2005 WDP TL

never mind found better threads!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nuvi 660 is the one I suggest to get.

my wife had it before we bought the infiniti.

I don't need the one I have anymore and don't use it now,
but I can recommend it for sure.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Race Director

I dont have a TSX but I have a gramin and I have to say its awesome. Very good information and very easy to use. Not to mention it gives you all the stats like avg MPH, time moving, time stopped, etc. If your not willing to spend the extra money the garmin is a great alternative.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

I have the Nuvi 350, but no TSX (yet). I got it before the holidays for about $250 (which was a steal a the time). It's a great unit and the size of the screen is smaller, which makes it good for pocket use. But it doesn't come with bluetooth or traffic. It's a great unit and does navigation very well, but I think there are better/more advanced ones out there now. I saw the 760 on Amazon and Costco for $350.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
When I saw Acura wanted $3k for nav, I told them to keep their nav. Instead, I got the base model and a Garmin Nuvi 260W on Amazon for $250. The 300 and 600 series are still nice units, but they are outdated designs. The newer 200 and 700 series models eliminate the obsolete external flip up antenna the older units come with in favor of internal antennas. So look at those models if you want the latest and greatest, or look into the older 300 and 600 series if you want the best deal. The firmware is the same on newer and older models I believe.

What to get depends on the features you want. I just wanted widescreen, text to speech, and no European maps. That's the 260W. If you maps of Europe, plus traffic and all the other fancy do-dads, go to the 700 series. Amazon and GPSTracklog.com have nice comparison charts of all the Nuvis. I suggest buying at Amazon.com. I have not seen anyone beat their prices.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

I just installed a Garmin 680 on my moms SUV this weekend. It has some nice features and works pretty good.

Things that I didn't really like...

1. You have to mount it somewhere, and in Cali its illegal to mount it on the windshield. I ended up mounting it on the right side of the center console. Works OK there, but it's a little hard to see and it intrudes on the passenger legroom a little.

2. The power cord makes it look so "aftermarket" to me.

3. When it plays over the car stereo speakers you have to tune it to an FM channel. So to use it you would have to switch channels, or switch from CD to FM etc. It has built in speakers, but they sound about as good as a transistor radio. Big advantage to the factory nav there, it overrides anything that you are playing automatically.

4. Security. Realistically you would have to remove it every time you go into a store, movie, outdoor parking. An aftermarket nav unit screams "steal me" to anyone walking by.

5. Small screen. The 680 has a 4.5" widescreen, but it's still pretty small and not located in the ideal spot like the factory nav.

6. The mount is good, but it still moves around when you use the touchscreen. If it moves too far it will start rubbing against the center console and cause damage.

It's a cheap way to go and you can take it with you, but the integration and functions of the factory nav are much better.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my coworker has the garmin 680 for his civic and loves it.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
garmin gps

garmin takes forever to lock onto satellite signal..the stock nav locks on the minute you start the car and it rarely misses a signal..
Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Cruisin'

I bought a Garmin 750 a few months back and haven't noticed any significant lock-on problems. I have noticed that it seems to lock quicker if I turn it on at the same location I last turned it off. I got the 750 primarily because it calls out street names instead of just saying "turn-right". If I had it to do over I think I would get the 250W and save the extra $200.00 because I keep the sound off much of the time anyway. Distance to the next turn and street names are shown on the screen and with a beanbag mount I can sit it in front of my nose on the dash if I want. No question it looks aftermarket, adds another wire to the jumble and can be stolen if you leave it on the dash. An advantage is that you can pop it out of the mount to find your way back to your car or use it's maps while walking around town. The internal battery is good for about 4 hrs as I recall.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
one more thing, garmin seems to loose its signal very easily when you're in downtown or around tall buildings...i lost my signal on my trip to NYC inside the Holland tunnel..good thing it was a straight drive...I tried turning it on inside the plane on my way back from Philly and it never seems to get a lock on the satellite..I know i shouldn't have done it but I just wanted to see how fast the plane flies
Old 06-23-2008, 03:07 AM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Does it have to be a Garmin?

I have a Garmin c510 and I think my mates Navman is better. I love the GPS, but there is one thing I'd change. On screen, in the bottom right hand corner, it will say turn in xxx meters. I wish it had an arrow pointing which way. It calls out which way, but and arrow would be great. Navman has the arrow. This helps lots in city driving with consecutive corners.

Garmin C510
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_c510.aspx

My brother has a Garmin Nuvi something, and it is also great.

TomTom are said to be the best, but they cost big $$$ here in Australia, twice as much as the garmins for the same features.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Upcoming iPhone3G?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Advanced

I have a Nuvi 350 and I love it.. I actually like certain things better on this than the Acura NAV, such as the 3D view, better POI and better routing (IMHO)... the best thing is the size... 4.3" screen are nicer and bigger, but you don't see any more map - it's just bigger... but with the 3.5" screen, you can carry it anywhere when you travel - and it's been flawless in Hawaii, the Bay area, NYC, and in Montreal....
Old 06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Racer

my friends always get lost with Garmin and I always find where I'm going with my Nav lol

Its funny...sorta
Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Racer

Sorry to hijack the thread. Anyone out there with a TomTom, i have base 08 TSX and would like to get a navi for it
Old 06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by s2ka
It's a cheap way to go and you can take it with you, but the integration and functions of the factory nav are much better.

I don't disagree with this statement. The factory Nav is better in some ways, but it's not nearly $3,000 better, so I can't justify the price premium. Plus Garmin & other portable companies regularly upgrade their firmware. I'm not sure factory units are even upgrageable. Finally, I can't take the factory unit with me when I rent cars while traveling on business. But to each his own.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EuroR08
my friends always get lost with Garmin and I always find where I'm going with my Nav lol

Its funny...sorta
That sound like operator error. They should get that fixed.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig-D
I don't disagree with this statement. The factory Nav is better in some ways, but it's not nearly $3,000 better, so I can't justify the price premium. Plus Garmin & other portable companies regularly upgrade their firmware. I'm not sure factory units are even upgrageable. Finally, I can't take the factory unit with me when I rent cars while traveling on business. But to each his own.
One thing that is overlooked is that portable units are popular smash'n'grab targets, which to avoid requires constantly taking the protable down and then puting it back up if not out of your car entirely.

Plus a built in unit just makes the car a more desirable and hassle free at all times throughout tyhe car's lifetime. The nav will always be there for you when you want it and you don't even have to think about it. Then when it comes time to sell the car it will make it easier to demand a premium. The buyer will say "the frame is severely bent" and you can say "yeah, but it has a nav unit, the choice is yours."
Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Advanced

The Garmin 760 is the best choice, as it is an improved version of the 660. It also includes bluetooth, as does the 660 and 360.......especially important if there are cell phone laws in place or soon to be, as in Calif. The Garmins have superior chipsets inside for satellite acquisition.....12 satellites in all, which is why it sometimes takes awhile to fully lock on. I have a 60csx handheld and it works extremely well in an airplane at 39,000 ft going 640 mph (with a good tailwind as I have experienced). For automobile purposes, the 350/360/660/760 series are superior to what I have though. Your budget will depend on which model is best for you. Use www.pricegrabber.com as a good source for price research. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wackura
That sound like operator error. They should get that fixed.
na we both put in the same address for a resturant and theres took them to the middle of downtown portland and mine took me right where i needed to be
Old 06-23-2008, 05:16 PM
7th Gear

I love(d) my Garmin Nuvi 360. Practically perfect in every way. Enjoy!
Traci

---------------------
'09 TSX with tech package.
woo hoo! vrooom...
Old 06-23-2008, 05:20 PM

One thing that is overlooked is that portable units are popular smash'n'grab targets, which to avoid requires constantly taking the protable down and then puting it back up if not out of your car entirely.
It is not hard to take it off your window and put in your storage compartment. But yes, people like to steal shiny things.

Then when it comes time to sell the car it will make it easier to demand a premium. The buyer will say "the frame is severely bent" and you can say "yeah, but it has a nav unit, the choice is yours."
Ummm, I'll buy a $200 portable unit that's up to date thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by [R]isque'
It is not hard to take it off your window and put in your storage compartment. But yes, people like to steal shiny things.

Ummm, I'll buy a $200 portable unit that's up to date thanks.
It's easy to scratch an itch, that doesn't mean I want to. I'm realy big on convenience and simplicity. I'll pay more for it, I'll put up with it being slightly out of date even. I'm the kind of person who buys a realy wide rake to reduce the number of times I have to drag it across the ground.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:40 PM

It's easy to scratch an itch, that doesn't mean I want to. I'm realy big on convenience and simplicity. I'll pay more for it, I'll put up with it being slightly out of date even.
I just can't get over the price. That GPS costs over $3k to option it over here.

I'm the kind of person who buys a realy wide rake to reduce the number of times I have to drag it across the ground.
What, you don't get you wife outside working like she should?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

You get more than just Nav for $3000. The Tech package also includes the upgraded ELS Pro Logic 10 speaker stereo, rearview camera, 6 Disc changer, DVD audio, etc.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Racer

when your spending 30,000 whats another 2,000 for those extra options? think about all the time you'll be saving from having to put away the silly portable nav unit...plus the fact if that thing is mounted on or near an airbag and you get into an accident that nav unit becomes a projectile moving at speeds of 200+ mph, which could cause severe injury to passengers in the vehicle.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Cruisin'

This might be a good time to go back and read the origional question.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by patcracks
when your spending 30,000 whats another 2,000 for those extra options?
As I said before, it costs over $3k here just for GPS alone.
If you read the thread title, Kyle didn't get GPS either.....

think about all the time you'll be saving from having to put away the silly portable nav unit...
Yep, 5 sec. It all adds up!

plus the fact if that thing is mounted on or near an airbag and you get into an accident that nav unit becomes a projectile moving at speeds of 200+ mph, which could cause severe injury to passengers in the vehicle.
You can mount them where ever you like.....
Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 PM

You get more than just Nav for $3000. The Tech package also includes the upgraded ELS Pro Logic 10 speaker stereo, rearview camera, 6 Disc changer, DVD audio, etc.
Nah, in Australia, $3k for the Nav and reversing camera only.

We get the good stereo and 10 speakers on all our models.

If your interested in our Aussie specs:
http://euro.honda.com.au/range-pricing.aspx
Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

Are you remorseful that you didn't get the nav & backup camera? You say you're not but yet you can't seem to stop reliving the decision.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:09 PM

Are you remorseful that you didn't get the nav & backup camera? You say you're not but yet you can't seem to stop reliving the decision.
Me? No way in the world...

That would have cost $10k+ extra than what I got my (base) car for. The Nav and camera is only really an option on our Luxury version (they sell it as another car model). Our base cars here in Aust are stacked with just about everything.

I think The base misses out on the heated electric leather seats, sunroof, HID's, fog lights, rain sensing wipers, parking sensors. Base gets 17's instead of 18's. These features cost $7k+ extra on our base.

I am more than happy with my Garmin.

I brought my CU2 for something more fun to drive than the Toyota Corolla I traded in. I had a CL9 previously, and I really liked it, so I got the new CU2.

I have got a luxury 4x4 (Toyota Prado VX turbo diesel) that I drive for comfort. It is fully loaded.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I just recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 200W. I think its great. The only thing that I don't like about it that some of the others have, is that it doesn't call out street names. I bet you it is an extremely simple technology to add, but the execs realize that they can get people to pay an extreme premium just the navi's can do things such as say the street names for a computer chip that cost them a buck. Oh well, I am still very happy with it. I am very surprised how much I have already used it.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Advanced

I got a Garmin Nuvi 750 from ebay for ~260 after MS cashback. I think it's a good deal~
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by screamace
I got a Garmin Nuvi 750 from ebay for ~260 after MS cashback. I think it's a good deal~
That's an incredible price, especially if it can be registered with Garmin. List is $535.70 and current street price is somewhere in the mid to upper $300s from Garmin dealers. I paid about $450.00 for mine when they came out last fall and have downloaded three Garmin updates since. Customer service also sent me free maps and software that lets me plan detailed routes with intermediate stops on my PC and download them to the 750. I don't know whether it matters where you got it but it would be interesting to know if Garmin lets you play their game via downloads, customer service etc.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Racer

Yeah I know that. Still ain't worth the premium. I test drove a base and the tech to compare the sound systems. The tech stereo is better, but not $1000 or more better. The NAV is worth a bit more than a $250-$350 Garmin because of the larger screen, but not much more. I barely play 1 CD, much less 6. Lastly, who the hell owns DVD Audio CDs? The only thing in the tech package that was worthwhile to me was the backup camera. If it could be had al la carte, I'd have it. But I wasn't shelling out $3k to get the one item in the tech package that was worthwhile to me.

My answer to the original question remains the same. Get a Garmin 260W for $250 on Amazon. Unless you need European maps, it's all you need. You get the widescreen display, text-to-speech, and a vastly superior POI database than what the factory NAV offers, plus updates and upgrades that Acura will never offer. You don't need a Garmin with bluetooth. The car already has that. Take the $2750 you saved by getting a Garmin instead of the tech package and invest it.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fcatwo
That's an incredible price, especially if it can be registered with Garmin. List is $535.70 and current street price is somewhere in the mid to upper $300s from Garmin dealers. I paid about $450.00 for mine when they came out last fall and have downloaded three Garmin updates since. Customer service also sent me free maps and software that lets me plan detailed routes with intermediate stops on my PC and download them to the 750. I don't know whether it matters where you got it but it would be interesting to know if Garmin lets you play their game via downloads, customer service etc.
I just managed to register my 750 on Garmin website. I think as long as you get a brand new retail one, not refubished, you're good to get all the services~
Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Craig-D
Yeah I know that. Still ain't worth the premium. I test drove a base and the tech to compare the sound systems. The tech stereo is better, but not $1000 or more better. The NAV is worth a bit more than a $250-$350 Garmin because of the larger screen, but not much more. I barely play 1 CD, much less 6. Lastly, who the hell owns DVD Audio CDs? The only thing in the tech package that was worthwhile to me was the backup camera. If it could be had al la carte, I'd have it. But I wasn't shelling out $3k to get the one item in the tech package that was worthwhile to me.

My answer to the original question remains the same. Get a Garmin 260W for $250 on Amazon. Unless you need European maps, it's all you need. You get the widescreen display, text-to-speech, and a vastly superior POI database than what the factory NAV offers, plus updates and upgrades that Acura will never offer. You don't need a Garmin with bluetooth. The car already has that. Take the $2750 you saved by getting a Garmin instead of the tech package and invest it.
Good point on the Tech package

I don't like the Acura NAV because it sits too far away and it's not a touchscreen! The NAV in G35 which is placed at about the same place has a touchscreen, I don't know why Acura chooses to offer a bunch of buttons instead of a intuitive touchscreen.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
2005 WDP TL

Originally Posted by screamace
I just managed to register my 750 on Garmin website. I think as long as you get a brand new retail one, not refubished, you're good to get all the services~
How do you register it? Garmin.com or somehthing. I picked up a 260w from Amazon.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
How do you register it? Garmin.com or somehthing. I picked up a 260w from Amazon.
It's pretty straightforward on their website. You may need to upgrade the firmware first, they will ask you to install a software called Garmin Communicator and then the upgrade will automatically start. With the up-to-date firmware you just need to enter the serial number and it will register and shows some information about the GPS like First Satellite Acquired Date. Oh btw you need to keep GPS connected to computer all the way.

Quick Reply: didn't buy tech, anyone recommend a Garmin?