Deciding between 2011 TSX and Infiniti G37x

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
From your previous cars, obviously you can drive a manual, so go for TSX with 6MT. I live in downtown Philly, so I deal with city traffic all the time, and I'll drive nothing but stick. It gets tiresome in the ol' stop n' go on the clogged interstates, but in the city itself, I much prefer manual. Given your situation, the TSX might be better than the G37x for all the reasons you state.

I'll toss a left-field suggestion at you: Saab 9-5 Turbo4 Premium. That gives you loads of room, an enormous trunk, more luxury than either of the others, and comparable mileage to the TSX because of the high-tech, DI turbo four. Believe it or not, that turbo four moves the big Saab pretty well because of its wide torque band. I was amazed when I drove one. Saabs tend to be heavily discounted, so mid $30's should be possible. The only issue is reliability, but if you'd be comfortable with an Audi, you're definitely Saab worthy!
Yes, I love manuals! But I also love my wife, and she can't drive one. When I owned a manual it was a relatively frequent inconvenience for us, so I'm compromising on this car and getting an auto.

Interesting suggestion on the Saab. I had not considered that....I may go drive one today. Good idea.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kugs10
Yes, I love manuals! But I also love my wife, and she can't drive one. When I owned a manual it was a relatively frequent inconvenience for us, so I'm compromising on this car and getting an auto.

Interesting suggestion on the Saab. I had not considered that....I may go drive one today. Good idea.
Woah...Kugs might be joining the Swedish Bandwagon...couple of years back you'll would of been considered jumping to the GM wagon lol Anyways if u test drive it let us know how it goes
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pbhak002
Woah...Kugs might be joining the Swedish Bandwagon...couple of years back you'll would of been considered jumping to the GM wagon lol Anyways if u test drive it let us know how it goes
Nevermind! It appears the Saab dealer in my city closed when Saab was sold by GM. Closest dealer 60 miles away, so not likely to drive one any time soon. Plus Edmunds says that the 9-5 is still around $41,000 true market value, and at that price I'd rather be in an Audi or BMW.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Racer

Nevermind! It appears the Saab dealer in my city closed when Saab was sold by GM. Closest dealer 60 miles away, so not likely to drive one any time soon. Plus Edmunds says that the 9-5 is still around $41,000 true market value, and at that price I'd rather be in an Audi or BMW.
Try using http://www.truecar.com/ is more accurate its still expensive though, and the 9-5 is not worth it. Get a TL and call it a day

Last edited by pbhak002; 03-22-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Kugs I tried to PM you back but it is saying your inbox is full!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

Here are my two cents. It boils down to comparison vs. choice.

When you ask TSX vs. G37x, my answer depends on whether you want a comparison or you want help choosing between the two.

As far as comparison goes, it's not a fair comparison given that the two cars are so markedly different. It's difficult to compare I4 vs. V6, 2.4 L vs. 3.7 L, 201 HP vs. 328 HP, FWD vs. AWD, $30K vs. $40-45K, entry-level vs. serious sports car. If Acura made a sport/AWD version of the TL, then you could compare that car to the G37x. I think we should all keep in mind whether the question is comparison vs. choice when we respond to these questions (TSX vs. 3 series, TSX vs. G37, TSX vs. A4 etc).

If you're asking me about choice, that's a different matter. We all have our opinions, and we're often asked to choose between an apple and an orange in the real world. Comparison is fact (or more objective) and choice is opinion/subjective.

I've had my TSX now for about 5-6 months, and I can't say regret anything (okay, maybe I occasionally wonder if I should have gotten a Palladium or Grigio instead of polished metal metallic). I also sometimes get annoyed by the driver visibility in the TSX (judging where the corners are when you park, the car feels very wide when parking, the poor visibility to the rear quarters), but everything else works as advertised: sufficient pep, fun to drive, good handling/ride, great interior, fairly quiet, good technology, Honda reliability, nice trunk, decent rear seat space for its class, exceptional value and good gas mileage.

I think the G37 leads or is near the top of its class ($40K sports car market which includes the BMW 3-series, Audi A4, Volvo S60 - which has received a lot of great reviews) while the TSX leads its class ($30K market).

Another thing to consider is what could you do with the $10+K you will save by buying a TSX I4 instead of the G37x?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
g37s are like muscle cars in my opinion (even though they are not). they are about flash, performance and only that. The interior and overall comfort is horrible, so is fuel economy. I would recommended the 6mt TSX. that car is a joy to drive with its short throw shifter and high revving engine. Also the tsx has plenty of low end torque unlike many 4 bangers. oh and in my opinion the tsx looks better than the G sedan and it should also be more reliable. But if you street race or do any sort of high speed activities then go for the G. stay away from German cars such as 3 series, c-class benz and audi a3/a4 if you care about reliability. If you are not interested in the TSX i highly suggest you look at the new volvo s60. I saw one at a parking lot and it was beautiful. the reviews are all good too.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
nice ford
Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KillerG
nice ford
naughty Volvo lol
Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So after a long few weeks of test driving and research, I've narrowed my choices down to either a 2011 TSX, I4 + Automatic + Tech or a Infiniti G37x + Sport package + premium + nav. I decided the V6 TSX was not a good value, because at that price there are other better options (such as the G37, A4, etc).

Basically they are equipped the same in terms of comfort/convenience, and in fact I think the TSX has the edge in that category with a more refined audio system and technology package overall.

The major differences are obviously the engine: 200hp I4 VTEC vs. 300hp V6, and the FWD vs. AWD, and the side effects of that: milage, winter performance, etc. The G37 also has a 7 spd transmission, which is nice.

The price difference is $9,000, and both companies are offering aggressive financing and leasing options right now, so the difference remains $9,000 no matter how you look at it. Resale is slightly better over time for the TSX, so most of the $9,000 extra is not recouped at the time of sale from the G37.

So my only real reservation is whether the G37 is worth $9,000 more (plus approximately $700/year in gas due to worse milage). I can afford it, but I don't like to blow money on things that aren't worth it!

When I drove both of them the G37 is clearly more powerful...no question. However, I noticed that in my mid-sized city driving that I was not able to take advantage of that power very often, as I was at maximum traffic speed within a few seconds, and it felt as though the engine was begging to be let loose. In contrast, though the TSX is clearly less powerful, I felt that I could really run the engine and tranny through its paces in normal day-to-day driving. So I'm wondering if in the long term whether the TSX may actually be more "fun" for my daily driving? Am I completely off base here?

Anyone in the forum driving a 4 cyl TSX after driving a more powerful car, and if so, do you miss the straight-line power?

I understand this is a personal decision, but I thought I'd throw it out there for some opinions!

Thanks!
Having owned numerous Acuras and a few Infinitis and I seriously looked at G37 a few times and currently own an M37, go with the Acura. Unless you want and can use the sportiness of the G37 the Acura is built better and will hold its value better. The Infiniti electronics just plan old SUCK. Also the G37 is due for complete redesign at the end of this year so in 10 months you'll be driving a dated car, witht he TSX you have 2-3 years before the new model arrives. The TSX is very agile and the I4 is very spirited and will return good fuel usage, the G around town will suck gas. Don't get me wrng I get a G37 loaner ever time I bring my M in and it is a blast to drive, but it is not as good overall as Acura. Once the novelty of the G wears off you'll wish you bought an Acura.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
My question is are you going to drive this car every day? Is it your commuter car or just a fun nice car to drive once in a while. I am acutually in the same situation. I have 3 kids, I drive a Tahoe everyday, my wife has a Suburban. We are looking for a sedan but won't be using it everyday. I have narrowed my choices down to a G37XS, a TSX 6-speed, a V6 TSX, and a '12 AWD TL. All very different cars but I am looking for something as more of a "practical" toy that I can put my family in, in a pinch. My point is, if you aren't going to drive it everyday, get the one that will put a smile on your face every time you get in. Gas milage is not as much of a concern (i.e. G37) But if you drive it everyday, then thats a different story. The TSX is the winner based on milage, being very fun to drive (just rev it, point it, and go), you can throw mods on it to keep it intesting over time, and value. It is the best value in the entry level market by far. Just my
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Type-S RPh
My question is are you going to drive this car every day? Is it your commuter car or just a fun nice car to drive once in a while. I am acutually in the same situation. I have 3 kids, I drive a Tahoe everyday, my wife has a Suburban. We are looking for a sedan but won't be using it everyday. I have narrowed my choices down to a G37XS, a TSX 6-speed, a V6 TSX, and a '12 AWD TL. All very different cars but I am looking for something as more of a "practical" toy that I can put my family in, in a pinch. My point is, if you aren't going to drive it everyday, get the one that will put a smile on your face every time you get in. Gas milage is not as much of a concern (i.e. G37) But if you drive it everyday, then thats a different story. The TSX is the winner based on milage, being very fun to drive (just rev it, point it, and go), you can throw mods on it to keep it intesting over time, and value. It is the best value in the entry level market by far. Just my

AWD TL all the way you can put the family in it and it is a blast to drive. The G will be cramped, although the V6 TSX would be a close second to the AWD TL.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

Wow...we are in a similar situation. I thought I was the only one! We have a Honda Odyssey and a Suburban for hauling kids. With 5 kids we are to the point where we need a third car so that the babysitter can help drive the kids somewhere in one of the bigger cars. So this third car will likely be the one I drive 60-70% of the time.

So I agree I want it to be fun to drive, but I also don't want to own something that sits in the garage and depreciates more than the value I'm getting out of it, so economically this car has to make sense. I really like the A4, but it depreciates around $20,000 over three years, and that's hard for me to justify for a third car. The g37 isn't as bad, but with gas prices doing what they are doing, plus a likely re-design in a year or two, I suspect the resale won't be that great.

So I've decided to go with the TSX. I reserved a graphite with Tech and it should arrive within a couple of weeks. It seems like the best overall balance between sport and value and gives me a lot of flexibility...I can either keep it forever or sell it in a couple of years with a minimal hit on depreciation.

Thank you to everyone on the forum for your thoughtful comments. Very nice perspective and input. It made me feel better about my decision!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
AWD TL all the way you can put the family in it and it is a blast to drive. The G will be cramped, although the V6 TSX would be a close second to the AWD TL.
Those are the two I am leaning towards. I just have to get my wife to come around on the grill. I think when she sees it in person she will like it.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Racer

Wow...we are in a similar situation. I thought I was the only one! We have a Honda Odyssey and a Suburban for hauling kids. With 5 kids we are to the point where we need a third car so that the babysitter can help drive the kids somewhere in one of the bigger cars. So this third car will likely be the one I drive 60-70% of the time.

So I agree I want it to be fun to drive, but I also don't want to own something that sits in the garage and depreciates more than the value I'm getting out of it, so economically this car has to make sense. I really like the A4, but it depreciates around $20,000 over three years, and that's hard for me to justify for a third car. The g37 isn't as bad, but with gas prices doing what they are doing, plus a likely re-design in a year or two, I suspect the resale won't be that great.

So I've decided to go with the TSX. I reserved a graphite with Tech and it should arrive within a couple of weeks. It seems like the best overall balance between sport and value and gives me a lot of flexibility...I can either keep it forever or sell it in a couple of years with a minimal hit on depreciation.

Thank you to everyone on the forum for your thoughtful comments. Very nice perspective and input. It made me feel better about my decision!
Good decision! I think it will fit your needs from what I read. Keep in mind, there are more and more mods for this car coming out all the time. I would also spring for the sport package. I think it makes the car look even better!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Those are the two I am leaning towards. I just have to get my wife to come around on the grill. I think when she sees it in person she will like it.
If you have a need to put kids in the back, the TL does have quite a bit more space than the TSX, though not as much as it appears.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Racer

If you have a need to put kids in the back, the TL does have quite a bit more space than the TSX, though not as much as it appears.
I drove an 09 AWD a couple years ago. It was nice but felt hampered by the tranny. Just not quick enough for what it had. I'm hoping the 6-speed auto spices things up. Also drove a V6 TSX at the same time. It was pretty fun. I find the TSX very "tossable" That is the car's best quality I feel. It makes it very fun in everyday driving.