Clear coat flaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Clear coat flaking

So I was washing my car today, and noticed the clear coat underneath the driver side view mirror is starting to flake! I’ve only had the car 2 weeks; obviously I am going to have the dealer fix this. Anybody else having any paint issues, or know what is involved in fixing the clear coat? Thanks!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:17 PM
JDM Addict

well, as far as 1st gen goes, nothing of that sort I've heard of.
just a tendency to chip easily.

I hope this isn't a new 2nd gen problem that will become widespread...

let us know what the dealer says.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Racer

R U sure it is really the clearcoat and not some of that stuff they put on when they ship the car and that might have not been taken off properly? That stuff may give the appearance that something is flaking...just a thought....
Old 07-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09TSX
R U sure it is really the clearcoat and not some of that stuff they put on when they ship the car and that might have not been taken off properly? That stuff may give the appearance that something is flaking...just a thought....

It’s defiantly the clear coat…
Old 07-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Racer

Oh...thats not good I know Acura has had good paintjob quality in the past...the whole chipping issue is not just limited to Acura so not much to get overly worried in that respect. I remember someone posting that some bodykits had problems with the paint in the early days of their release but that has since been rectified, I just hope this didn't affect the whole paint quality of early 2009 TSX too...
Old 07-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg022
It’s defiantly the clear coat…
OK if it's not some of the 'rubbery' coating that protects the car during transit, and if it's isolated to the mirror, you will likely get a new mirror. I believe these are factory painted separately from the car so a problem on the mirror itself is not representative of the rest of the paint job on the car.

Acura may direct the dealer to take it to a body shop to repaint the mirror, but it depends on what the factory decides to do. The dealer has little say in the matter.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw some stuff too under my mirror when I waxed the first time. What I found is a pasty substance that's yellowish in color. If this describes what you found, it's not clearcoat. It's either residue from the first waxing the dealer gave it or leftover protective stuff they put on the car for shipping.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:16 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
I saw some stuff too under my mirror when I waxed the first time. What I found is a pasty substance that's yellowish in color. If this describes what you found, it's not clearcoat. It's either residue from the first waxing the dealer gave it or leftover protective stuff they put on the car for shipping.

I also had some of that stuff too on various areas of my TSX but it was clear and bumpy. I took it to be detailed and now it's gone. I hope that was all it was for you too.

I'm thinking it was maybe adhesive residue from the sheets that they stick to the car to protect the paint during shipping.

Either way have your dealer look at it.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
I also had some of that stuff too on various areas of my TSX but it was clear and bumpy. I took it to be detailed and now it's gone. I hope that was all it was for you too.

I'm thinking it was maybe adhesive residue from the sheets that they stick to the car to protect the paint during shipping.

Either way have your dealer look at it.
Japanese made cars don't have the plastic sheets like the US made cars. Instead, they use a clear material that resembles rubber cement. It peels off in sheets, but unfortunately the edges (where it is thinner) tends to leave a jagged edge and leave some material behind. It is very difficult to get it all every time.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 AM
D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed last week that on the very edge of the bumper section in the crease above the wheel on the left side that the paint on my '09 TSX is flaking off. It didn't look chipped or scratched or anything. Then a few days ago I noticed the same thing on the opposite side in the same spot. They are very small spots and hard to notice, but still, that should not be happening on a car that is only a month old.
I'm taking it to the dealer on Tuesday to have it checked out.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Draconis77
I noticed last week that on the very edge of the bumper section in the crease above the wheel on the left side that the paint on my '09 TSX is flaking off. It didn't look chipped or scratched or anything. Then a few days ago I noticed the same thing on the opposite side in the same spot. They are very small spots and hard to notice, but still, that should not be happening on a car that is only a month old.
I'm taking it to the dealer on Tuesday to have it checked out.
Well now, that doesn't sound very good. I'll have to keep an eye out for that on my car. Apparently the 1st gen had a similar paint problem. This is my first Japanese car. What happened to the legendary Japanese trouble-free owner experience I kept hearing about? None of my Fords had their paint flake off at any age.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Craig-D
Well now, that doesn't sound very good. I'll have to keep an eye out for that on my car. Apparently the 1st gen had a similar paint problem. This is my first Japanese car. What happened to the legendary Japanese trouble-free owner experience I kept hearing about? None of my Fords had their paint flake off at any age.
WHY.....I mean WHY would a car company change something about their paint (other than the color)? I had an 06 TSX and the paint was exceptionally beautiful and no problem with flaking!! It the 04 had it and they fixed it, why would they attempt anything different on the 09?! Hopefully mine will not develop that problem but I am VERY particular about my car and will not go for a car that is being re-finished at the local dealership just because it was not properly done from the factory....I love my TSX...to death...but if it develops paint problem, I'll be pi$$ed off BIG TIME! I am still hoping that these are isolated incidents....
Old 07-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 09TSX
WHY.....I mean WHY would a car company change something about their paint (other than the color)? I had an 06 TSX and the paint was exceptionally beautiful and no problem with flaking!! It the 04 had it and they fixed it, why would they attempt anything different on the 09?! Hopefully mine will not develop that problem but I am VERY particular about my car and will not go for a car that is being re-finished at the local dealership just because it was not properly done from the factory....I love my TSX...to death...but if it develops paint problem, I'll be pi$$ed off BIG TIME! I am still hoping that these are isolated incidents....
I've actually just found some of what he's talking about on my roof. It just appeared right after washing also. Mine was in the space between the sunroof and the front of the roof. No more has appeared since. I'm keeping an eye on it, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's clear and tacky in substance. Doesn't come off with just soap. At first I thought it was tree sap, as only my bug/tar remover would get the stuff off. But it's not tree sap and I really don't think it's the clearcoat either though. I think it's leftover residue of that protecting layer they put on it for transport that the dealer missed when they prepped it for delivery.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Racer

Craig-D..that would be more re-assuring. That was my thoughts way early in the thread (see original post) but then people were saying, no its the clear coat...something to watch thats for sure.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Racer

Draconis and jdogg...Any updates on your paint flaking issues? I was just wondering what the dealership told you guys and if it was some of that gunk they put on the cars during shipping. I found a few spots on my car despite being detailed by the dealership and I have since taking it off, wondering if thats what you guys had all along.....
Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Advanced

I thought I posted the response from the dealer I guess I forgot. The dealer didn’t know what it was, but they did confirm it was not the rubbery substance used to ship the car. At any rate the replaced the drivers side view mirror
Old 07-27-2008, 01:56 AM
Racer

The dealer didn't know what it was? That's not very confidence-inspiring. I'll keep a close eye on my car's paint, but I'm not too concerned. It is under bumper to bumper warranty for the 3 years I will have it, so Acura will be fixing any problems on their dime.