Buying out my lease with shitty credit

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by defconskylude
it wasnt as bad before we lease. it was like a 640-660 when i got it. i could have financed it but the payments were higher. i negotiated it as a purchase first to get that residual down and then decided to lease it with the intention to purchase it before the lease was up.

i did have a few missed payments which screwed it up even more. now i think its sub 600. i have to get a credit report and check the real score.

ya i can check to see if i can co sign but i dont want to rely on that.
You should sign up for a monthly credit service so that you can view your reports frequently and get alerts every time something changes. It becomes costly to pull onesies and twosies after the initial free one. I have paid per month for over 4 years now watching my credit on a monthly basis. You could check out creditkarma.com as their scores are totally free but I heard the scores are a little inflated.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by mjiCLS
Was it a Honda/Acura lease? I really doubt you did it with a HFS/AFS lease. At this point you're trying to save face. We dealt with this on a daily basis for people....Honda/Acura doesn't negotiate. End of story regardless of whatever fantasy land you're from.

And you have no idea what Honda does with leases. I do. They purchase insurance to cover any loss at the lease end term when its originated for every lease they do. Honda doesn't lose....period. That is why they take the cars and don't negotiate. They get paid from the insurance company. You think they'll sell some haggler like yourself the car for under the purchase buyout when they get full value from the insurance? LOLLOLOLOLOL!!!! So right there, knowing what I know...I know you're full of shit, ceb.

Go look up all this stuff its all on the internet. They don't give a rats ass who you are....you turn the car in or buy it out at the contract price. It's been like that for a long, long time now. Search this very site there's a few threads about it. I know it's hard for some people to grasp that a car salesman is actually telling the truth on this matter...but it is true. I deal in absolutes and truths. Continue to deal in fantasy.

You probably think the US dollar is real.
And you probably think you have a brain. You come across as a horse's ass. I know what I negotiated and I refuse to continue a conversation with an insulting ignorant.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

it wasnt as bad before we lease. it was like a 640-660 when i got it. i could have financed it but the payments were higher. i negotiated it as a purchase first to get that residual down and then decided to lease it with the intention to purchase it before the lease was up.

i did have a few missed payments which screwed it up even more. now i think its sub 600. i have to get a credit report and check the real score.

ya i can check to see if i can co sign but i dont want to rely on that.
its currently through AFS. missed a couple of payments due to slowness in my wife's job.
In that case you are in to your TSX way over your head. With a declining credit score in this economy you'll be looking at buying your next car at a buy here, pay here place.

I'm sure you're a nice guy but why should anyone co-sign a loan for you when you have demonstrated that you don't pay your bills. Quite simply they'd be much off just giving you money with no expectation of ever getting it back - then be pleasantly surprised when they get a dime on the dollar back.

The cold hard truth is that you'll have to work extremely hard to get yourself out of that hole and it'll be painful - and include driving a rattletrap for a few years.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Has this been discussed yet?
Isnt the OP in VIOLATION of his lease agreement having modded his car?
I know when i leased an Audi a few years back there was specific language in the lease agreement about not being able to make certain changes to the car
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Membered Register

Received 161 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by ed_423
i just realized, defcon put "shitty" as a title and mods didn't say shit. when killerg put "shit", mods changed it right away. LOL
as long as jusntinspace doesn't rat the title out like he did the other thread we should be ok
Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by kball
I know when i leased an Audi a few years back there was specific language in the lease agreement about not being able to make certain changes to the car
I don't think it would matter, if the car is returned to its OE condition.

Defcon hope you get this worked out, bro.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kball
I was told by the dealer that there were no restrictions through AFS. Was anyone else told different? And if he plans on buying it out, the mileage and mods don't matter.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by AnyaBoo
I was told by the dealer that there were no restrictions through AFS. Was anyone else told different? And if he plans on buying it out, the mileage and mods don't matter.
i can put the car back to OE but it would be pain in the ass to take everything off and trade/sell them.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
In that case you are in to your TSX way over your head. With a declining credit score in this economy you'll be looking at buying your next car at a buy here, pay here place.

I'm sure you're a nice guy but why should anyone co-sign a loan for you when you have demonstrated that you don't pay your bills. Quite simply they'd be much off just giving you money with no expectation of ever getting it back - then be pleasantly surprised when they get a dime on the dollar back.

The cold hard truth is that you'll have to work extremely hard to get yourself out of that hole and it'll be painful - and include driving a rattletrap for a few years.
I'm gonna have to agree here.
You should never lease or buy anything you can't comfortably afford.
You def shouldn't be spending 1000s modding the car you can't afford.

My advice is sell your mods and get close to being financially stable or put it Twds the down payment on a used car.
Don't buy out the lease.
Return it or sell it if you can get money back or break even.
buy something cheaper.
By the sound of it. Your interest rate is gonna be astronomical.
Buy a used car. Something probably below 10k. You can prob get a decent 1sr gen tax or a 3rd gen TL for that if you're looking for something similar.
Do this until you can get your credit score back up. If you make payments on time, it shouldn't take but a few years.
If you can't make a payment. Call and talk to your lender. They are usually willing to work with you. They can skip a month and add it to the end so you have a month catch up. I've done this before when I hit a rough patch.

As for modding a leased car, you can do whatever you want to your leased car. They don't care as long as you return it to stock when you return it or you can sell it on your own. If you return the car with mods like springs or something, they'll deduct the cost of replacement to oem from the value of the car.
It's like selling a car with a huge dent in it. They'll consider the cost of fixing it in to the value of the car.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you should just keep paying the lease payments for now. Save some money for a down payment to contribute toward the buyout.

2. Join myfico.com and subscribe for their credit score monitoring. These are real FICO scores with real time Equifax monitoring and you can also buy the Transunion FICO too. Credit Karma is a free option, but the scores aren't FICOs. Still, I think Credit Karma gives a good picture on your credit and you should have both.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Drifting

do people typically need to put a down payment for a buyout?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
it wouldnt hurt.

youre basically financing the balance of the total after the lease payments.
if you have 15k more to pay, you could put down a little bit to make the payments easier or if you only qualify for a lower amount.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

do people typically need to put a down payment for a buyout?
With poor credit you'll have to put down a big chunk of change in order to get financed.

You should take a financial management class so you can learn how this stuff works.

It is pretty simple though. The banks know that I will pay my bills because they understand that the only reason I got a loan in the first place was because it was free credit and I have never had a late payment in my life.

For someone with a FICO score in the 600 range, the bank has no assurance that the bills will be paid on time - or paid at all. Accordingly, the bank will want to assure that you have a huge stake in the purchase so you don't want them to repo the car. A 600 score will require a 30-50% downpayment in order to get a reasonable rate.

Last edited by ceb; 11-28-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ceb
With poor credit you'll have to put down a big chunk of change in order to get financed.

You should take a financial management class so you can learn how this stuff works.

It is pretty simple though. The banks know that I will pay my bills because they understand that the only reason I got a loan in the first place was because it was free credit and I have never had a late payment in my life.

For someone with a FICO score in the 600 range, the bank has no assurance that the bills will be paid on time - or paid at all. Accordingly, the bank will want to assure that you have a huge stake in the purchase so you don't want them to repo the car. A 600 score will require a 30-50% downpayment in order to get a reasonable rate.
ya i understand that part.

nah id rather turn in the lease and trade in my aftermarket parts than pay a huge down payment on a car.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced

nah id rather turn in the lease and trade in my aftermarket parts than pay a huge down payment on a car.
I feel you there, but fortunately you have some time before having to decide on this for sure.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Racer

I apologize OP if you mentioned this before but what is the buyout amount on your lease? If you start repairing your credit now by paying your bills on time, you could get financed through a subprime lender like Prestige Auto Finance. If the buyout is no more than $16,000, you could get financed through Prestige with zero down and a monthly payment of $400 per month. Is $400 a month doable given your current finances OP?

Awhile back, I went through Prestige Financial and it is a really good finance company for people with less than perfect credit. They offer a 0.5% APR decrease every six months if your account is good standing. But you'll still end up with 14.5% APR after the deductions.

Now, Prestige Financial doesn't play when it comes to paying on time. They off no grace period so if it is due on the 15th it is due on the 15th. One day late, and that information ends up on your credit report so you need to be certain you can afford the amount. Additionally if you late, they will increase your APR to the max 21%. So you will need to put the payment on an auto payment plan to make sure it is paid on the due date specified by the bank. Prestige also watches your insurance like a hawk and the minute you lapse in coverage, your payment will balloon as they will add coverage for you that is way more expensive.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
plus nothing is set in stone in terms of % financing and shit. just use this time to fix up your credit as much as possible and then when u talk to the dealer about buying out the car...see what numbers they can come up with.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Drifting

I apologize OP if you mentioned this before but what is the buyout amount on your lease? If you start repairing your credit now by paying your bills on time, you could get financed through a subprime lender like Prestige Auto Finance. If the buyout is no more than $16,000, you could get financed through Prestige with zero down and a monthly payment of $400 per month. Is $400 a month doable given your current finances OP?

Awhile back, I went through Prestige Financial and it is a really good finance company for people with less than perfect credit. They offer a 0.5% APR decrease every six months if your account is good standing. But you'll still end up with 14.5% APR after the deductions.

Now, Prestige Financial doesn't play when it comes to paying on time. They off no grace period so if it is due on the 15th it is due on the 15th. One day late, and that information ends up on your credit report so you need to be certain you can afford the amount. Additionally if you late, they will increase your APR to the max 21%. So you will need to put the payment on an auto payment plan to make sure it is paid on the due date specified by the bank. Prestige also watches your insurance like a hawk and the minute you lapse in coverage, your payment will balloon as they will add coverage for you that is way more expensive.
ill check the buyout in a few minutes.
ya $400 is doable. by the time my lease is up, our RDX will be fully paid off and we were paying $600 on that alone. wife and i were making over $160k a year but we just keep buying things

main reason is i need to stop buying new guns and fixing thing them up :X
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

yea i was gonna say...dont u keep buying guns and shit? well if u stop then you should be fully capable of meeting the car payments if your issue was money in the bank vs paying on time.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrstak
yea i was gonna say...dont u keep buying guns and shit? well if u stop then you should be fully capable of meeting the car payments if your issue was money in the bank vs paying on time.
yea guns and accessories are expensive. also need to adjust the payment date after a payday.

i cant find the paperwork in my car. ill look for it at home. i think the buy out was $15k-17k.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
i still think the best solution is to have someone co-sign..

nothing wrong with asking for alittle help when you need it, especially when its from family..

wow your income is so high and you cant cover the buy out of 16k? you have a 15 months to save up so you should be fine to put a large down payment..
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

yea i'm with potmilkz...if u stop buying guns and accessories from today onward and start consciously saving for your car, you should be fine by the time your lease runs out.

i would hate to see you return your car after spending so much time and effort on it. seems like a waste.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by potmilkz
i still think the best solution is to have someone co-sign..

nothing wrong with asking for alittle help when you need it, especially when its from family..

wow your income is so high and you cant cover the buy out of 16k? you have a 15 months to save up so you should be fine to put a large down payment..
we can cover the buyout. im just not sure if i can get a loan to buy it out.

also i read that never put a large down payment on a depreciating car.

how often do people put a down payment when they buy out their lease?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrstak
yea i'm with potmilkz...if u stop buying guns and accessories from today onward and start consciously saving for your car, you should be fine by the time your lease runs out.

i would hate to see you return your car after spending so much time and effort on it. seems like a waste.
yea i know. heh

thats why i dont want to turn it in.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Advanced

I'm on a lease as well ending this May and buyout is at 15,400 ish, so I would think yours is also at around that level OP.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dcdriver
I'm on a lease as well ending this May and buyout is at 15,400 ish, so I would think yours is also at around that level OP.
yea mine wasnt high. i remember i negotiated at $29k with $800 down.

can you please ask your guy what they can do about my scenario?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
David_Dude

wife and i were making over $160k a year but we just keep buying things

main reason is i need to stop buying new guns and fixing thing them up :X
Defcon those are amazing incomes!

Defcon, if I read that right, I say save up and pay that car off.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The no down payment rule pertains only to a lease as that is money tossed out the window if you wreck the car or turn it in early. That does not apply to a purchase.

Buying out a lease is is no different than flat out buying any car from a dealer. If your buyout is $15k then it is identical to buying any car for $15k. The bank or credit union will determine how much money they want to loan you. The difference between what they will loan you and the $15k is the amount you need to cough up.

How much will they loan you? Who knows, but many banks will look at how much they expect the car to be worth in a half year in poor condition, subtract repo costs and look at that as a max loan.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
The no down payment rule pertains only to a lease as that is money tossed out the window if you wreck the car or turn it in early. That does not apply to a purchase.

Buying out a lease is is no different than flat out buying any car from a dealer. If your buyout is $15k then it is identical to buying any car for $15k. The bank or credit union will determine how much money they want to loan you. The difference between what they will loan you and the $15k is the amount you need to cough up.

How much will they loan you? Who knows, but many banks will look at how much they expect the car to be worth in a half year in poor condition, subtract repo costs and look at that as a max loan.
Putting money down on a lease sometimes is good as it will lower your monthly payments especially if a person plans to buyout the lease then it is not all thrown in mid air. Putting more than $1,000 down on a lease is not recommended.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Racer

OP it sounds like you have a great plan. Your income helps offset the bad credit some. I know cause I had bad credit before but also a lot of income, and that factored into their decision. Also your savings accounts and 401K amounts are looked at by some lenders as unguaranteed collateral.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced

yea mine wasnt high. i remember i negotiated at $29k with $800 down.

can you please ask your guy what they can do about my scenario?
Well I have talked with folks on what to do in my situation since I'm closer to the buyout period than you and this is something that affects me.

The general advice right now is to just pay your lease payments until the end of the lease. The buyout amount is likely going to be a decent deal when the lease is over and will require the least amount of upfront cash assuming you want to pay for all of it at once. Also your monthly payments should be lower after you buy the car.

On top of that you said that your credit was better when you got the lease than now so you might as well take advantage of the deal you have now and milk it for as long as you can until it's over. Getting a new loan now is not a good idea imo.

My credit is good, but in May 2013, we may still not have a new TLX hybrid and I am closely examining other models too like the 2013 Accord Hybrid (should be a precursor to the new TLX hybrid), the Lexus ES 300h, and the Camry Hybrid. I am basically all in for hybrids since I have a 60 mile round trip commute but that's a bit aside from the point. I'd like to trade in the TSX Tech I have for one of these, but I'm willing to wait to xmas time 2013 if need be even if that means buying the car in May 2013 and then trading it in soon after.

You do have over a year to improve your score, so I think you should try to lower your revolving debt (credit cards mostly) as much as you can, and pay your car payments on time every time from hereon. Best thing you can do is lower the monthly debt to income ratio (add all your minimum debt payments for a month and divide it by your monthly gross income) though it looks like yours should be good given the household income you listed. This should raise your score when you get closer to that buyout time.

Many other folks here mentioned that having multiple previous loans with the same car lender may allow you to get more favorable terms with a lender, so it is more imperative that you pay your bills on time every time from now until the end of your lease.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Defcon those are amazing incomes!

Defcon, if I read that right, I say save up and pay that car off.
You may want to re-read his post. He said that they WERE making $160k, not that they still are.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ceb
You may want to re-read his post. He said that they WERE making $160k, not that they still are.
my wife's dental office got bought out so a couple of patients stopped coming which affected her days. we're at $150k now but it should be going up again since she switched to a newer office.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Putting money down on a lease sometimes is good as it will lower your monthly payments especially if a person plans to buyout the lease then it is not all thrown in mid air. Putting more than $1,000 down on a lease is not recommended.
$1k down is not going to change a lease payment by an appreciable amount - unless you consider a couple of Starbucks a month a lot.

You also didn't finish reading my sentence. Any money you put down on a lease is gone if you wreck it or sell it.

Let's look at that $30k car. You put $1k down so you owe $29k. A year down the road you wreck it. You have a $500 deductible and you have GAP insurance.

The car is a total loss and the insurance values it at $25k. They give you $24.5k and the GAP makes up the difference to the $26k that you owe.

That $1k you put down is gone, gone, gone.

If you had not put any money down then the GAP insurance would have paid the extra difference between what the insurance paid and what you owed.

A smarter move is to put that $1k in a savings account and draw the $10 or difference in your monthly payments ($29k vs $30k) from that account.

In order not to lose at the credit game you have to understand it. Most people have no clue and are like the guy that walks up to the Blackjack table without knowing the rules.

In credit as in gambling, the house always wins, but you have a fighting chance of not losing too badly if you understand the game.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by ceb
Good looking out Ceb.

my wife's dental office got bought out so a couple of patients stopped coming which affected her days. we're at $150k now but it should be going up again since she switched to a newer office.
Sorry about the wife's dental office being bought out, hopefully if im reading it right you guys can make it work with a slight ding to the income. I know Cali is expensive. Wishing the best for you, man.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mjiCLS
Was it a Honda/Acura lease? I really doubt you did it with a HFS/AFS lease. At this point you're trying to save face. We dealt with this on a daily basis for people....Honda/Acura doesn't negotiate. End of story regardless of whatever fantasy land you're from.

And you have no idea what Honda does with leases. I do. They purchase insurance to cover any loss at the lease end term when its originated for every lease they do. Honda doesn't lose....period. That is why they take the cars and don't negotiate. They get paid from the insurance company. You think they'll sell some haggler like yourself the car for under the purchase buyout when they get full value from the insurance? LOLLOLOLOLOL!!!! So right there, knowing what I know...I know you're full of shit, ceb.

Go look up all this stuff its all on the internet. They don't give a rats ass who you are....you turn the car in or buy it out at the contract price. It's been like that for a long, long time now. Search this very site there's a few threads about it. I know it's hard for some people to grasp that a car salesman is actually telling the truth on this matter...but it is true. I deal in absolutes and truths. Continue to deal in fantasy.

You probably think the US dollar is real.
Hmm... glad you guys have this _________ (you fill in the blank) over here and not on the 1st gen forum....
Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
$1k down is not going to change a lease payment by an appreciable amount - unless you consider a couple of Starbucks a month a lot.

You also didn't finish reading my sentence. Any money you put down on a lease is gone if you wreck it or sell it.

Let's look at that $30k car. You put $1k down so you owe $29k. A year down the road you wreck it. You have a $500 deductible and you have GAP insurance.

The car is a total loss and the insurance values it at $25k. They give you $24.5k and the GAP makes up the difference to the $26k that you owe.

That $1k you put down is gone, gone, gone.

If you had not put any money down then the GAP insurance would have paid the extra difference between what the insurance paid and what you owed.

A smarter move is to put that $1k in a savings account and draw the $10 or difference in your monthly payments ($29k vs $30k) from that account.

In order not to lose at the credit game you have to understand it. Most people have no clue and are like the guy that walks up to the Blackjack table without knowing the rules.

In credit as in gambling, the house always wins, but you have a fighting chance of not losing too badly if you understand the game.
Actually for me it saved me $50 bucks a month which is more than two star bucks runs a month. And I don't think most folks totally their car while leasing so that scenario is worst case. In my case, my $1,000 down is not lost assuming I won't total the car. If the car is totaled, I'm losing more than just my down payment.

The choice to lease or buy and then how to lease (in other words, continue leasing or lease to buyout the car) is based on personal economic factors as well as deals/promotions at the dealer. For me, $1,000 down was a good decision as it lowered my payments by $50 bucks per month which allowed me offset for a maintenance plan, tinted windows, clear bra, and some other things I wanted done to the car. If I bought, I wouldn't have added those things as I don't believe in $700 per month car payments.

It worked for me!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by drivedata
as long as jusntinspace doesn't rat the title out like he did the other thread we should be ok
They came after me because my thread was too big man, its a conspiracy, I tell you what

yea guns and accessories are expensive. also need to adjust the payment date after a payday.

i cant find the paperwork in my car. ill look for it at home. i think the buy out was $15k-17k.
Defcon, i am surprised noone has stated the obvious, but have you considered using your guns to shoot your creditors and then receiving your car for free like that?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Actually for me it saved me $50 bucks a month which is more than two star bucks runs a month. And I don't think most folks totally their car while leasing so that scenario is worst case. In my case, my $1,000 down is not lost assuming I won't total the car. If the car is totaled, I'm losing more than just my down payment.

The choice to lease or buy and then how to lease (in other words, continue leasing or lease to buyout the car) is based on personal economic factors as well as deals/promotions at the dealer. For me, $1,000 down was a good decision as it lowered my payments by $50 bucks per month which allowed me offset for a maintenance plan, tinted windows, clear bra, and some other things I wanted done to the car. If I bought, I wouldn't have added those things as I don't believe in $700 per month car payments.

It worked for me!
You realize of course that what you said is impossible. The clear bra, tint, maintenance plan and what not increased your balance by far more the $1k and a $1k down would change your monthly payments by about $25, not $50.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
You realize of course that what you said is impossible. The clear bra, tint, maintenance plan and what not increased your balance by far more the $1k and a $1k down would change your monthly payments by about $25, not $50.
I didn't mean that the added options offset the reduction in payment entirely but it offset some of the mods. And we can easily say the $1,000 down helped pay for the mods done by the dealership instead of strictly saying it went towards the monthly payment. However you want to apply it. There were several tiers of monthly payments and I chose the one in the middle which was around $40 decrease in payments. Sorry I rounded. I would rather pay a little less per month. And I was planning on paying >$1,000 to get my old car repaired so I let it go and put the money down on the new car.

Quick Reply: Buying out my lease with shitty credit