Brake making minor noise... confused.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Brake making minor noise... confused.

Hi all!!

up until lately, I started hearing screech noise in the brake now and then...

I currently have 2013 TSX with 20600 miles on it and do about 70 city and 30 highway... my car is 3 years old next month in april.

My brake started making noise in the morning or at least the first time the vehicle is on when I brake...

I know modern brakes do make screech noise initially when it's cold right?
but, although it goes away but i still hear them when i brake going down hill at a slower rate of speed...

I don't have tools to measure the brake usage but is it time to change the brakes or it's just a regular thing?

The last time I remember going to the dealer for an oil change, they gave me multi-inspection sheet saying that my brake is used up moderately (yellow)...

should i call my dealer about this because I still have warranty until next year...

thanks guys... and sorry for not so knowledgeable about cars... haha
Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by dwk331
Hi all!!

up until lately, I started hearing screech noise in the brake now and then...

I currently have 2013 TSX with 20600 miles on it and do about 70 city and 30 highway... my car is 3 years old next month in april.

My brake started making noise in the morning or at least the first time the vehicle is on when I brake...

I know modern brakes do make screech noise initially when it's cold right?
but, although it goes away but i still hear them when i brake going down hill at a slower rate of speed...

I don't have tools to measure the brake usage but is it time to change the brakes or it's just a regular thing?

The last time I remember going to the dealer for an oil change, they gave me multi-inspection sheet saying that my brake is used up moderately (yellow)...

should i call my dealer about this because I still have warranty until next year...

thanks guys... and sorry for not so knowledgeable about cars... haha
Brakes are not covered under warranty (with the exception of early cars that had defective pads that wore out very, very early).

That said, a bit of a squeal in the morning is perfectly normal.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:20 AM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
Like Ceb said, squeaks in the morning or after some moisture build up is normal, ongoing brake squeaks are not. That is more than likely your brake pad indicators warning you they are about done.

Mileage/years don't mean anything when it comes to braking components.

No special tools are needed. Take off your wheels and you should have enough of a visual at the meat of the brake pads. If you can't do it, have a car buddy or trusted mom/pop shop look at your brakes, or pay the stealership.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
Your rear pads might need to be changed. I had to change mine at around 20k miles and they screeched every time i braked.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Racer

yes, thank you all for answering...

so i wasn't too sure but when i drove today for 5 miles in city traffic, i still hear brake when i brake downhill...

it sucks that it is not covered under warranty... anyone know how much, estimation? I see my brake and I see nothing wrong...
Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 AM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
Your best bet will be to pick up the phone and call a few shops. Prices vary by location and there are always deals/promotions/specials/coupons to be found.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 PM
RTM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You might want to look at your rotors first thing in the morning before you drive. This time of year its not unusual to see a light haze of rust after a cold night.

If it stops screaming, pull over and look again, see if the rotors look different.

Ordinarily I would suspect worn at brakes at 20k, but 70% LA traffic, maybe so.

And yeah, calling a few shops, especially non-dealer, independent shops usually will get your best price
Old 03-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Racer

I noticed when i was at the car wash there is rust build up on the rotor... like rust water has dried up on the wheels...

of course, I tried to wash that off... but it still make noise at low speed braking...

I am going to the shop soon..
Old 03-07-2016, 07:01 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Topical rust builds up very quickly - overnight after a carwash or rain - or even dew. That rust will come off after a couple of stops and happens to every rotor. Nothing you can do except spray them with WD-40 - but then you won't be able to stop. SO DON'T DO THAT!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:07 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Yeah rust on the surface of the rotors after a wash is no biggie, and pretty much unavoidable too.