Bike Rack.... Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bike Rack.... Help!!!

Hello guys,

i recently got a 2012 acura TSX that has a spoiler, which prevents me from using my old trunk back rack. so i was wondering the following.

1) any suggestions on what trunk rack can i use that will not damage the spoiler?
2) Should i buy a Roof rack instead?
3) What is the average price for a decent Roof Rack? any suggestions

Thank you all for your time.

here is what the spoiler looks like

Old 03-02-2014, 02:25 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
two options:
1) hitch with hitch rack-hitch will run less than $200, the rack...a good one with all the bells and whistles will run $300+.
2) roof rack- round bars = yakima, square bars = thule. can't go wrong with either. brand new, the rack itself can run $3-400 (the feet, bars, and clips), add another $100 or so for each bike mount. you might be able to find a used set up and the only thing you have to spring for are the clips that go to your TSX.

i personally have had/or currently have both.

the trunk mounted racks WILL scratch your paint and possible indent your trunk. roof rack...i like the look (had one on my TL for 6 yrs) and minimal paint touching, BUT will impact your MPGs. the hitch rack...no paint contact BUT may cause the car to handle funny with the weight hanging off the back end.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
two options:
1) hitch with hitch rack-hitch will run less than $200, the rack...a good one with all the bells and whistles will run $300+.
2) roof rack- round bars = yakima, square bars = thule. can't go wrong with either. brand new, the rack itself can run $3-400 (the feet, bars, and clips), add another $100 or so for each bike mount. you might be able to find a used set up and the only thing you have to spring for are the clips that go to your TSX.

i personally have had/or currently have both.

the trunk mounted racks WILL scratch your paint and possible indent your trunk. roof rack...i like the look (had one on my TL for 6 yrs) and minimal paint touching, BUT will impact your MPGs. the hitch rack...no paint contact BUT may cause the car to handle funny with the weight hanging off the back end.
Yeah, I can't imagine how anyone who cares about there car could use a trunk rack. That said, I've installed a trailer hitch on all of my cars, so the choice was a no brainer (better for the bikes too). Gave up on the hitching post style years ago and went with a platform rack. Much better. No experience with the roof rack, but it seems like more work and I can see where it must effect mileage (and ironically, more so the handling too). I never really feel the platform style bike rack, and that's with two bikes on it (watch the departure angle though).
The following users liked this post:
srplayer (03-04-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 03:07 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
handling with a roof rack only becomes an issue when you have bikes on the roof and it's really windy...otherwise i've gone 75-80 with both bikes on the roof, no problem. if you get a roof rack a faring becomes a necessity to tone down any wind noise and help with aerodynamics.

platform rack....on a sedan...definitely want to be careful on steep driveways. platform racks tend to cost a little more than a typical "hitch post" rack. and they can be heavier.
The following users liked this post:
srplayer (03-04-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
OP - I noticed you have a garage. If you opt for the roof rack, be sure to put something large (garbage can) in your parking spot when you leave. That way, when you come home from a long day of cycling, you'll pull into your driveway, see the garbage can, think WTF, and then realize, oh right.

I went with a Yakima roof system for my TSX Wagon. The wagon is low enough so I don't need to be a basketball player to mount the bicycles.

The roof rack also gives me easy access to the trunk. The downsides are lower mpg, maybe occasional bugs on your bikes, and a heightened awareness of low overpasses. FYI, I won't go under one less than 7 ft.