base model vs technology package

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
base model vs technology package

Can anyone give me some insights on the base model vs the technology package? Which would be better? I know there is the obvious factor of price difference? What about the dash layout or any other perks?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Base model or Premium model?

A lot of people don't know, but there are actually 3 models available, only 2 in the US though.

Base - Canada only
Premium - US & Canada
Tech - US & Canada

So if you really do mean 'Base' then I'm not quite sure exactly what the difference between Base and Premium is since I live in the US, but if I had to guess, I would assume it doesn't come with HIDs, fog lamps, heated seats, blutooth, and perks like that.

As for the difference between Premium and Tech, obviously the navigation in the tech, the dash is similar but there's a few more buttons on the tech to access all it's features. Tech has a 6-disk CD changer (I have yet to even use my single disk in my Premium since I use my iPhone for all my music). The Tech also has a backup camera.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

The Base model also has cloth interior, while the Premium and Tech have leather.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
myaccord, you should try the search function, as there are many threads on this topic and you might find some of the info useful.

Anyway, the word "Base" is the word used to describe the non-Tech model in the US; there is no "Premium" designation here. The only difference between the Tech and the Base models in the US is the Tech has this:

• Acura Navigation System with rearview camera and Traffic Rerouting™**
  • Acura/ELS Surround® 415-watt Premium 10-speaker Sound System with 6-disc in-dash CD, DVD-Audio, MP3, WMA and DTS® changer, and Dolby® Pro Logic® II
  • AcuraLink® satellite communication system with Real-Time Traffic and Weather†
  • Voice Recognition system
  • GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone automatic climate control system** - Don't need this at all.
  • Note Function for XM®
  • Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface with phone book exchange
  • Automated Appointments™
The price difference between the Tech and Base is about $3100 MSRP, which is definitely a little steep IMO.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Anyway, the word "Base" is the word used to describe the non-Tech model in the US; there is no "Premium" designation here.
Incorrect. The US non-tech model is still known as the "Premium" model, not "Base". My window sticker clearly stated so. My dealer also referred to them as "Premium" and "Tech".
Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
Incorrect. The US non-tech model is still known as the "Premium" model, not "Base". My window sticker clearly stated so. My dealer also referred to them as "Premium" and "Tech".
Really? That's odd, because ALL of the dealerships I have visited in my area referred to it as Base (even on their paperwork it says "Base") and many Acura dealerships, even outside of my area, will give you a quote as Base and Tech. Here is one example:

http://chevychasecarsspecials.homest.../AcuraTSX.html

Also, MANY publications call it "Base and Tech" vs. "Premium and Tech"...internet searches will show you the same thing. What color do you have? Are you sure the "Premium" wasn't referring to the color or dealer add-on package?

Maybe it is region specific?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
This is just semantics. On one hand, they like to call it 'premium' to avoid the stigma of a base model. Very much like at McDonalds; you cannot buy 'small' fries - only 'regular'. (sometimes they even correct you)
Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
The regular or 'base' TL's were called "P's" also. Others could have been included in that as well, but no personal experience with other models here.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned

I don't think they should call it base, because if you talk about base at a non-luxury dealer you're referring to a car that might not even come with a radio, and even the low end models at some other luxury dealers aren't as well equiped as the TSX.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced

I live in the US maybe I should have it stated tech package vs non tech model.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Really? That's odd, because ALL of the dealerships I have visited in my area referred to it as Base (even on their paperwork it says "Base") and many Acura dealerships, even outside of my area, will give you a quote as Base and Tech. Here is one example:

http://chevychasecarsspecials.homest.../AcuraTSX.html

Also, MANY publications call it "Base and Tech" vs. "Premium and Tech"...internet searches will show you the same thing. What color do you have? Are you sure the "Premium" wasn't referring to the color or dealer add-on package?

Maybe it is region specific?
Even so, since there is a "Base" model available in Canada, I could see the reason for making a distinction between "Base" and "Premium" in the US.

Seeing as how this forum consists of people from both the US and Canada, I will continue to refer to my model as "Premium" so the distinction between the 2 can be made by others.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
Even so, since there is a "Base" model available in Canada, I could see the reason for making a distinction between "Base" and "Premium" in the US.

Seeing as how this forum consists of people from both the US and Canada, I will continue to refer to my model as "Premium" so the distinction between the 2 can be made by others.