anyone do a UOA used oil analysis on cars that had the piston ring tsb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anyone do a UOA used oil analysis on cars that had the piston ring tsb?

I'm pretty sure my car has the piston ring problem (4cyl 6mt) as it's been burning oil since it was new. I told the dealer when it only had 8k on the odometer and they just kept telling me it's normal for these engines to burn oil. i went back several times to my dealer and they just kept saying the same thing.

now i spoke with two retired acura service men and they are pretty sure the car has the piston ring problem.

I have yet to do the oil consumption test, but want to know IF A USED OIL ANALYSIS will show anything? IN PROVING THAT THERE IS A PISTON RING ISSUE?

I'm a super busy person with work, family and business and find it a huge pita that I've been telling them this problem all along and now they issue a tsb, which required more validation.

I'm putting it between 2.5 quarts of oil in between oil changes and the low oil indicator can come on when the oil quality measure says 60-70% left.

ANY FEED BACK APPRECIATED.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
i cant speak for cars but my job in the air force deals with oil analysis. When we burn an oil sample it comes up with the PPM witch is Parts per million. Now this tells us there is say 2ppm in SI or 4ppm in TI. The way this works on aircraft is there is a set number of that metal or element that can be in the oil at any given time now if a part is failing its supposed to be higher PPM in the material that part is made out of. But from my 5 years in i have only caught 1 plane about to have a major problem and maybe 6 planes that we helped narrow down what part was failing. 89% of the time oil analysis wont catch it but this is on aircraft and not automobile engines.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think UOA will show the excessive ppm of metals if you do have a problem. I do it for my older car and bike once a year just to see how the engines are doing. It's only about $25 at blackstone, they also tell you how your numbers compare against universal averages for this engine type.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
You should insist on an oil consumption test. Losing that much oil is not normal. It took 2-3 tests before they would do anything. Once they replaced my piston rings, so far so good. You should refer to this post for more information

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=low+oil