Any decent LED strips out there, or just go with vled tritons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Any decent LED strips out there, or just go with vled tritons?

As some of you know I have been hunting for the best possible option for a more modern LED DRL solution.

I first considered ijdmtoy fog lights but decided against it as I feel it wouldn't look that great.

Next 3 solutions, first being the top choice:

Buying vled triton switchbacks. I've seen a few on here and talked to one of you about them, and they look amazing. I would pay a shop to install these, and possibly have the shop remove the yellow film inside the headlight to clean it up. It depends how much they would charge for all this.

***My question for anyone who has done this, is when would these actually be on during the day? I plan on pulling the DRL fuse to get rid of the horrendous current DRL, and want the new vled to be the DRL. How would I go about doing this? Again, I am sure a shop would get this all squared away but just curious.

Buying Eagle Eye LED's. I would have these installed similar to Username_0 (I think thats his/her name). They would go next to the fogs and I would have them wired to a switch, which would go to the left of the steering wheel button slots (one is used for something, but other two slots are empty). Only issue with these as they may look too aftermarket for my taste.

Finally... Buying an LED strip that is switchback capable. I am not sure how bright or reliable these are, but I want that continuous bright white light (not the individual LEDs in a line) and it would switchback to amber for turns. I am not sure this is even possible as the only option would be to drill into the headlight and hope for the best. If I could find a nice set I may go this route and again would have a shop do the install.

I am not considering a full headlight replacement as some have been doing. I also don't plan on LED replacement to the standard halogen DRL because high beams won't be as bright as some have mentioned.

What do you all think would be the best course of action for me?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:06 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Well I thought I already answered your V3 Triton question about how you use them as DRL.. you literally just flip the stock on the combi switch (where it has Auto/Park/Off/On) to the one that looks like this

It will be "manual" in the since you have to switch it on each time you get in the car, but at night if you leave it on auto they will automatically come on with your headlights.

During my drives I will always switch my lights to parking lights so I use my switchbacks as DRL (like in my avatar), then when I turn my car off I go back to auto..
Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
Well I thought I already answered your V3 Triton question about how you use them as DRL.. you literally just flip the stock on the combi switch (where it has Auto/Park/Off/On) to the one that looks like this

It will be "manual" in the since you have to switch it on each time you get in the car, but at night if you leave it on auto they will automatically come on with your headlights.

During my drives I will always switch my lights to parking lights so I use my switchbacks as DRL (like in my avatar), then when I turn my car off I go back to auto..
Ah you did and I appreciate the help. I worded my question wrong and meant to ask if it would be better to have a separate switch instead of hooked up to the OEM switch, but realized this wouldn't make sense since it may not work properly with the switchback function.

Again, thanks for the help you provided. I just wanted to see what people thought about all three options against each other. Seeing you avatar and a few others, I am most likely going towards the switchback route as it is the least aftermarket looking option out there and appears bright as hell.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Also to bump this threat, I called to shops and they refused to crack open the headlights to remove the yellow film. I am aware that I can do the process myself, but I just don't want to screw anything up for the sake of a mod. They did not want to be liable for anything such as condensation build up.

I wonder how the vled would look with the yellow film over it and it would probably look like poop. So I am considering options 2 and 3, with 2 making more sense (eagle eye leds).
Old 05-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
TheRetrofitSource makes a really good switchback LED strip FYI
Old 05-19-2016, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
TheRetrofitSource makes a really good switchback LED strip FYI
I did see those and they look great. However I assume I will have to drill into the headlights to lay these in to which is a risk of water getting in.

I would love to do the vled triton switchbacks, but I am worried about baking my headlights to split them open to remove the orange tint side markers. I know I can be as careful resealing it as possible but I just worry down the road it will eventually get condensation in the headlight.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:34 AM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by Eggs999bacon
I did see those and they look great. However I assume I will have to drill into the headlights to lay these in to which is a risk of water getting in.

I would love to do the vled triton switchbacks, but I am worried about baking my headlights to split them open to remove the orange tint side markers. I know I can be as careful resealing it as possible but I just worry down the road it will eventually get condensation in the headlight.
It's really not as big of a deal as you think. The glue re-heats really well and seals nicely. On top of that, you can get some $5 silicone sealant and go back over all of the seals.

When I did mine, a few weeks later I notice slight condensation on the outer corner and it was a really easy fix, just took the headlight out pulled out the corner bulb and ran a hair drier to inside for like 2-3 min to evaporate the condensation, and then went over seals with extra silicone. I haven't had a problem with them since then (5 years ago now)
The following users liked this post:
Eggs999bacon (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:36 AM
ROTAREDOM

Also.. it's slightly daunting at first, but then if you think about it, you can find used headlights on ebay for $150. So it's really not like you're screwed if somehow you left them in the oven for 12 hours and rendered them useless lol
The following users liked this post:
Eggs999bacon (05-20-2016)