Another 2nd Gen Collision

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 2nd Gen Collision

I was making a protected left hand turn at a 4 way intersection. Outta nowhere this grey Accord comes flying at me. He "swears" he had a green and still denying fault. Even the cops know I'm right.

Passenger side air bags deployed, causing me partial deafness in my right ear for a couple hours.

One weird thing that concerns me and so should you guys:

After the collision, my seatbelt was completely loosened and wouldn't retract. I didnt even get hit on the driver's side...
When I go see my car in the shop I'll be sure to take some pictures and send them to Acura. If this was a worse crash, the seat belt wouldn't have come close to keeping my body from flying

Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DAYUM! -30* camber! Touge monsta!

In all seriousness, very sorry to hear. You said the seatbelt retracted after the collision? But during the collision it was tight/locked in? That sounds normal. It most likely retracts to allow passengers to exit their vehicles after an accident more easily.

Unless I'm reading/interpreting this entire situation wrong.

Don't sweat it...cars can be replaced...lives cannot.

Any extended aches or pains?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSteezyX
DAYUM! -30* camber! Touge monsta!

In all seriousness, very sorry to hear. You said the seatbelt retracted after the collision? But during the collision it was tight/locked in? That sounds normal. It most likely retracts to allow passengers to exit their vehicles after an accident more easily.

Unless I'm reading/interpreting this entire situation wrong.

Don't sweat it...cars can be replaced...lives cannot.

Any extended aches or pains?
Don't quite remember if the seat belt was tight during the collision or not. It only took a split second. I pulled on the seat belt to test it, and it was like it was fully extended out. But you're right, maybe it was designed that way to give slack after a collision.
As you can see from the tire marks, the car spun about 90 to 100 degrees counter clockwise, so seat belt or no seat belt, i would have been ok. If I hit head on, then we would know if the seat belt worked or not because I'd prolly be in the hospital if it didnt work.

But despite all that, I'll still make a call to Acura and post more pics of the seat belt and damages
Old 08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
glad you're ok.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
wow, sorry to see that. glad you're ok
Old 08-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Glad to hear that you're OK, and hope everything works out smoothly for you.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
First, glad to see you're ok.

The front seatbelts are active, meaning that in case of collision, they retract (activated by a small pyrotechnic charge, like the airbags.). So after, they need to be replaced, and i suspect they will not retract.

Was the passenger seat occupied? Is it the passenger side airbag that did deplo, or is it the curtain airbag?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
First, glad to see you're ok.

The front seatbelts are active, meaning that in case of collision, they retract (activated by a small pyrotechnic charge, like the airbags.). So after, they need to be replaced, and i suspect they will not retract.

Was the passenger seat occupied? Is it the passenger side airbag that did deplo, or is it the curtain airbag?
curtain air bags were deployed, but good thing i had no passenger.

anybody know a method to get money for the value of the car instead of fixing the damages? I'm pretty doubtful that the damages will come close to the value of a 2010 Acura TSX. But who knows...maybe Acuras are expensive to fix? I have to wait till tomorrow for GEICO to take the car from the tow yard to a nearby body shop, where I hope they will just give up fixing it and call it a total loss. Then I'd be in the market for a CPO TSX
Old 08-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad you ok...
Old 08-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad your ok...
Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cpmajai
Don't quite remember if the seat belt was tight during the collision or not. It only took a split second. I pulled on the seat belt to test it, and it was like it was fully extended out. But you're right, maybe it was designed that way to give slack after a collision.
As you can see from the tire marks, the car spun about 90 to 100 degrees counter clockwise, so seat belt or no seat belt, i would have been ok. If I hit head on, then we would know if the seat belt worked or not because I'd prolly be in the hospital if it didnt work.

But despite all that, I'll still make a call to Acura and post more pics of the seat belt and damages
Your seat beat worked as it was designed to. As another poster stated, the seat belts are active. They pull you back into the seat via a pyrotechnic blast. After that discharge the seat belt MUST be replaced. As you said it happened so quick,but had the seat belt been loose during the collision,you would have felt it. But since it worked, you walked away.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by levistar
Your seat beat worked as it was designed to. As another poster stated, the seat belts are active. They pull you back into the seat via a pyrotechnic blast. After that discharge the seat belt MUST be replaced. As you said it happened so quick,but had the seat belt been loose during the collision,you would have felt it. But since it worked, you walked away.
alright, so I guess it was designed like that. No complaint to Acura from me.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
man glad ur ok..did the temporily deafness cause any problems afterwards?