2nd Gen TSX Test Drive *In depth

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen TSX Test Drive *In depth

Hey guys,

I just test drove the 2009 TSX. Carbon Gray Pearl w Tech Package. I can write up a little review, I was able to take it out for a little bit while waiting for my car to be serviced (3.5 hours!!!)

Exterior:
The car is definitely wider as many of you know already, but most of it is due to the wheel arches. There were some things I liked about it and somethings I didn't. The Shield Grill works with certain colors, on CG it looked decent, but the honey comb had to go.

Anyway, I didn't like the side mirrors it's half body and half black plastic. The rear reflectors are definitely longer and the tails are a hit or miss as well as the headlights depending on who you are.

Interior:
The Fit and finish is what one would expect from an Acura/Honda. The materials in the headliner were thicker and softer.

-The dash and console plastics were definitely improved, there was a nice feel to it. They got rid of the aluminum trim that runs along the side of the door near the handles which I wish they hadn't.

-They went the Honda route with regards to the door locks and put them on top of the handles so now our elbows won't hit our door locks!

-The sunroof button is now in it's logical place. There is a coin holder near the lower left knee now.

-Steering wheel is smaller in diameter, but is just the right thickness a little thicker than the 08's and much thicker than anything up to 05.

- Entertainment system Buttons were a little more complex in terms of layout, they followed the RDX and TL-s layout with blue tooth buttons and voice activated part of the nav. As you guys know they have the ELS sound system they have been using with the TL since forever. The 6 cd changer is now where the compartment where the Dealer MP3 accessory player would have went. There is a small sub woofer directly behind the rear center passenger. Tweeters are now near the side mirrors. Sound system was okay, but it lacked the "thump" that many of us want.

- Trunk button is relocated and there is no gas door opener, when the doors are unlocked you simply press in the gas door and it comes out.

- Headrest now for center rear passenger

- Button layout was a total headache, with regards to entertainment system. They followed the new accord, rdx, and mdx layout. It was like a space ship. I wish they hadn't gotten rid of the touch screen nav. The screen resolution is a little bit better but not much different from and 08.

- Pedals were a little different, the gas pedal was a bit bigger. Also, steering wheel adjustment is lower on the steering wheel hub now.

Performance
I was pretty disappointed in this department. I will start with some little quirks.

As you guys know there is a paddle shift with the 5AT now. They followed the RDX route, and got rid of a Sequential Sport Shift via the gear lever. You have to put it into S and then use the paddles from there.

- The engine didn't feel different. (I hate the new engine cover by the way!!! so ungarnished!). It was very smooth and you do feel the torque increase, but it doesn't have that pull in first that one would expect. Although I wasn't supposed to VTEC it, to hell with it for the sake of Azine I did. It sounded nice... and the Vtec was little more pronounced than previous stock versions of the car. Pedal response felt good, the DBW problem is less evident now.

- The suspension is a little bit softer which is good. It managed to have less body roll and more connected-"ness." It feels similar to a TSX with a Comptech RSB. Car was pretty flat when going around corners.

- Steering feel was lighter, more similar to the TL's with a little more stiffness. This can be a good and bad thing. Don't get me wrong you still had communication with the road but it just didn't feel that you had as much of a connection because of the lack of stiffness. It tightens up a little bit when going quicker but the change was negligible.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think they have a carbon gray pearl 09.
I think both of the dark gray colors are metallic.

Polished Metal Metallic
Grigio Metallic.

anyhow...

very nice review, thanks.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologize I meant Grigio Metallic.