2G TSX blasted by TTAC

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 PM
STi'd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, I think most 1st gen owners actually are glad they bought an 04-08. That being said, I'm still not a fan of the 2nd gen (exterior-wise) yet I've always thought the interior is far superior.

I think the bottom line (and it's been stated before) is that 1st geners will never like the car because we were expecting something much more, while 2nd geners were brought to Acura much like the 1st geners were in 04. Hey, if you enjoy your car that's all that matters.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
wait till they get hold of the TL
Old 07-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Hey Gavin, nice to see you. I think that what you're saying is correct, but I question why G1 owners expected a radical departure from the current platform? If you are a student of Acura (entry level) history, there is nothing to suggest that the car wouldn't be exactly what we got.

G1 integra went from a modest 115 hp to 130 hp in G2. G2 integra went from 130 to 142 for G3. All of them gained size and weight as they progressed through their generations. In G2 the GS-R didn't show up till the very end of the model run, BUT they did start G3 with the GS-R. This was the only precedent that could have led anyone to suspect that maybe the G2 TSX would start with two engine options. However, since G1 didn't end with a 'hot' engine choice I was skeptical.

For example, when TL went from G2 to G3, it made sense that the 'hot' Type-S engine would become the new base engine but only because they already had this engine in the inventory. There is no second TSX engine waiting in the wings, so I didn't expect to see one. Obviously I was in the minority.

As for looks, styling is subjective, but I understand that they are styling a car to still look good in 2014, so you have to push the envelope. When the G3 Integra showed up, everyone hated the round headlights, and by the time the RSX showed up with square light, everyone cried "How can they take away the iconic look of the Integra?"
Old 07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
STi'd

Hi Colin, I think us 1st geners were initially attracted to the TSX because it offered a nice blend of sport, luxury, tech amenities, useable space (I surprisingly move furniture, landscaping stuff, tools, etc.) and of course legendary Honda reliability. Also, a nice benefit in hindsight is gas mileage. While the TSX may not be all that fuel efficient relative to other 4-cyl., in today's prices it's paying dividends.

However, the knock was always power. While the 2.4L K24 delivered decent power/tq especially in the 6MT, I think most enthusiasts wanted a little more. When the RDX's turbo4 came out, we were all salivating that the next TSX would have this engine thus completing that last remaining piece of the perfect car. I think most 1st geners including myself automatically assumed the TSX would not grow in size, retain the rigid, subdued lines and offer this potent motor perhaps even with SH-AWD. For myself, I pictured having the punch and cornering of a WRX with the slick-shifting refinement of a luxury vehicle all in one decently priced package that I would not have to worry about breaking down.

Honestly, if I were to find myself in the market for a new car, I'm not sure I would even consider Acura at this point. In my opinion the Integra line and the RSX may have grown in weight, but not in size and driver-focus. I think many 1st gen TSX owners like the coziness of the cabin and the ease at which the car can be tossed in the corners. I haven't test driven a 2nd gen yet so I'll admit that the only impression I have of it is from subjective individual reviews and magazines, however the specs and looks of the car are such a turn-off, I don't have any inclination to try it.

Also, did you get your USASPEC iPod adapter yet? I've looked all over and can't seem to find the email/receipt!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cg2006TSX
I find it entertaining that those who refuse to accept the 'truth' about the 2G TSX continue to personally attack who simply state the facts as they are, not delusions of what we would like to believe.

"Uninformed."

"Haters."

I have no need to personally attack those who believe the 2G TSX is a great car. If you believe 2G TSX is a great car, bully for you. I am not threatened by your opinions, why are you threatened by mine? As far as your "informed" analysis of 2G TSX reviews, perhaps you need to re-read the following from sources other than those who rely on industry ad dollars:

TOV: http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=749011

Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126300

Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125231

USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...N.htm?csp=Cars

Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...015/BUSINESS02

Beyond the above, let's just say the quotes that you provide, much like what Acura uses within their own advertising, is faint praise at best.

Read between the lines of the major car mags, and the truth is there for those want it. For those who prefer something else, I guess you've found a home.
The few negative articles you have been able to find prove my point: they are in the minority. A far greater number than that reacted positively to the car. If you want to argue they only reacted positively to the car because they need the ad dollars that's fine, but then how do you know that wasn't the case when the 1st gen was reviewed too? If you suspect their motivation for one, you must suspect it for all. Further, owner reviews are a far better indication of a car's worth than the review of any professional publication, be it good or bad. For the 2nd gen, they are overwhelmingly positive - including on Edmunds.

The only truth I have to accept about the 2nd gen is that I love mine as do all of its other owners. June was the biggest sales month of any generation of this model's history. The numbers don't lie. I accept that fact also. Do you?

Lastly, I am not threatened by your opinions. I simply question why you feel the need to post them here. If you own a 1st gen TSX, why do you spend so much time in the 2nd gen forum? I have never once gone over to the 1st gen forum to post my opinion about that car. Why? Because I have better things to do and I know no one cares about my opinon there. You certainly have the right to your opinons, but they answer a question that no one asked.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gavinn58
When the RDX's turbo4 came out, we were all salivating that the next TSX would have this engine ...........perhaps even with SH-AWD......I haven't test driven a 2nd gen yet so I'll admit that the only impression I have of it is from subjective individual reviews and magazines..............Also, did you get your USASPEC iPod adapter yet? I've looked all over and can't seem to find the email/receipt!
Everyone I talk to from Acura hates that turbo engine. I predict you will never see it in another car again. It's been shared with me that the RDX will be getting a new drivetrain, more in line with what Am. Honda wanted in the first place. You are perfectly welcome to swing by and try out the car yourself. You know I welcome any opportunity to drive around and you know my style, if a free ride is all you want, it's no problem.

I recently took in a 2005 6-mt TSX (on trade) and i can confirm that the feel of that car and mine (2008) are totally different. This might be why there is such a discrepancy between what I feel everyday, and what so many early TSX owners report. I guess cause I drive them a lot, I never noticed tha change till I could drive them back to back. TSXs after the MMC have the soft, late engaging cluth like in the TL-S, they are softer sprung, and seem to ride higher.

I did not get the USA spec adaptor yet. I'm not really sure that I'll be keeping the car. I really don't care to drive it that much and may look for something else if I can find a buyer for this one.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:53 PM
STi'd

Thanks Colin and I'll be sure to let you know if I make it in. Interesting on the RDX and the possible motor change as well as the softer clutch and suspension with the MMC 1st gen TSX.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks Colin and I'll be sure to let you know if I make it in. Interesting on the RDX and the possible motor change as well as the softer clutch and suspension with the MMC 1st gen TSX.
On the RDX, the guy I spoke with was certain about the new drivetrain. When I pushed for details, he backed off and said he couldn't talk about the changes.

On the TSX, you could try my '08 with 3k miles on it and compare it to the '09. I dare you to say that the '08 is a superior handler. Really!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:36 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Originally Posted by Craig-D
Lastly, I am not threatened by your opinions. I simply question why you feel the need to post them here. If you own a 1st gen TSX, why do you spend so much time in the 2nd gen forum? I have never once gone over to the 1st gen forum to post my opinion about that car. Why? Because I have better things to do and I know no one cares about my opinon there. You certainly have the right to your opinons, but they answer a question that no one asked.
He's a Hater!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 PM

Hi Colin, I think us 1st geners were initially attracted to the TSX because it offered a nice blend of sport, luxury, tech amenities, useable space (I surprisingly move furniture, landscaping stuff, tools, etc.) and of course legendary Honda reliability. Also, a nice benefit in hindsight is gas mileage. While the TSX may not be all that fuel efficient relative to other 4-cyl., in today's prices it's paying dividends.
The 2nd gen is the 1st gen and more..... What is soooo much different?
However, the knock was always power. While the 2.4L K24 delivered decent power/tq especially in the 6MT, I think most enthusiasts wanted a little more. When the RDX's turbo4 came out, we were all salivating that the next TSX would have this engine thus completing that last remaining piece of the perfect car. I think most 1st geners including myself automatically assumed the TSX would not grow in size, retain the rigid, subdued lines and offer this potent motor perhaps even with SH-AWD. For myself, I pictured having the punch and cornering of a WRX with the slick-shifting refinement of a luxury vehicle all in one decently priced package that I would not have to worry about breaking down.
But haven't you just described a TL? Man, I wish we got those in Australia.
TSX still needs a V6!

Honestly, if I were to find myself in the market for a new car, I'm not sure I would even consider Acura at this point. In my opinion the Integra line and the RSX may have grown in weight, but not in size and driver-focus. I think many 1st gen TSX owners like the coziness of the cabin and the ease at which the car can be tossed in the corners. I haven't test driven a 2nd gen yet so I'll admit that the only impression I have of it is from subjective individual reviews and magazines, however the specs and looks of the car are such a turn-off, I don't have any inclination to try it.
This is what pisses most people off! You make judgement and you haven't even driven the car?

It is still a drivers car, and WAY better than the CL9 at that. It has a ton more grip, and the extra torque really helps. This car drives so much better than the 1st gen.
But of course you will never know.....

We just keep hearing the same crys from people that have never driven the car, and most likely will never own the car. But the funny thing is, the 2nd gen craps all over the 1st gen, and you guys know it.....

Trust me. I know, I had a 1st gen, and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 PM
STi'd

The 2nd gen is the 1st gen and more..... What is soooo much different?
Actually I think the 2nd gen is better in regards to the interior and features. Of course, my statement you quoted was not directed at the 2nd gen failing to meet that. This statement was meant to answer Colin's question about 1st gen owners expecting a radical departure.

But haven't you just described a TL? Man, I wish we got those in Australia.
TSX still needs a V6!
Nope. You're completely off the mark here. I don't want a TL. Not many 1st geners do. And that's a big reason why we're not attracted to the 2nd gen because it increased in size and weight thus reminding us of a TL.

This is what pisses most people off! You make judgement and you haven't even driven the car?
I did say and you even quoted me, "the specs and looks of the car are such a turn-off, I don't have any inclination to try it." Remeber, 1st gen owners were looking for more. More than what the 2nd gen offers on paper. We wanted to see enough to get us into the showroom. I'm content to sit at home on my couch with the current TSX spec sheet. You see, the 2nd gen just doesn't offer enough incentive to make a trip to the dealer.

It is still a drivers car, and WAY better than the CL9 at that. It has a ton more grip, and the extra torque really helps. This car drives so much better than the 1st gen.
But of course you will never know.....

We just keep hearing the same crys from people that have never driven the car, and most likely will never own the car. But the funny thing is, the 2nd gen craps all over the 1st gen, and you guys know it.....

Trust me. I know, I had a 1st gen, and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!
No crying here. I'm more than happy for you 2nd gen owners and equally as happy as a 1st gen owner. I more than likely will never know for sure since ignorance is bliss. Afterall, you expect anything less from us Americans??
Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 PM
6th Gear

I find it entertaining that those who refuse to accept the 'truth' about the 2G TSX continue to personally attack who simply state the facts as they are, not delusions of what we would like to believe.

"Uninformed."

"Haters."

I have no need to personally attack those who believe the 2G TSX is a great car. If you believe 2G TSX is a great car, bully for you. I am not threatened by your opinions, why are you threatened by mine? As far as your "informed" analysis of 2G TSX reviews, perhaps you need to re-read the following from sources other than those who rely on industry ad dollars:

TOV: http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=749011

Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126300

Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125231

USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...N.htm?csp=Cars

Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...015/BUSINESS02

Beyond the above, let's just say the quotes that you provide, much like what Acura uses within their own advertising, is faint praise at best.

Read between the lines of the major car mags, and the truth is there for those want it. For those who prefer something else, I guess you've found a home.
Those articles are backing your statement? I just read a couple of them, they don't even seem negative! I think it's cute that you went out and did some fact finding, just try and make sure you have the right facts first next time.

I like how you are stating that you know the "truth" about the TSX. Your "truth" is still your opinion, and it is deceiving of you to call it that. The only truth I see here is that some 1G owners are inclined not to like the car, and 2G owners are inclined to like it......and both for obvious reasons. Just accept that and stop trying to say that you know the "truth" about the car, whatever that may be.

Originally Posted by Craig-D
If you own a 1st gen TSX, why do you spend so much time in the 2nd gen forum?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm content to sit at home on my couch with the current TSX spec sheet. You see, the 2nd gen just doesn't offer enough incentive to make a trip to the dealer.
Awwww man, I thought a visit to see ME would be the highlight of your day!?

I'm so hurt......
Old 07-22-2008, 10:40 PM

Nope. You're completely off the mark here. I don't want a TL. Not many 1st geners do. And that's a big reason why we're not attracted to the 2nd gen because it increased in size and weight thus reminding us of a TL.
How would you know if you haven't driven one???

What, you think V6 or SH-AWD wouldn't add weight?
A TSX/Euro will always be a euro. A civic will always be a civic. They make cars for different target markets. I can't see them changing from this. As I said. they got a 'super' TSX, and it's the TL. If you want a race car, get a CTR.

150kgs is stuff all. The COG is WAY different in the CU2. The CL9 feels top heavy in comparison.

But I guess you will ever know. It is like discussing stuff with a brick wall.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 PM

Actually I think the 2nd gen is better in regards to the interior and features. Of course, my statement you quoted was not directed at the 2nd gen failing to meet that. This statement was meant to answer Colin's question about 1st gen owners expecting a radical departure.
I know, I feel like having a rant...
Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
STi'd

But I guess you will ever know. It is like discussing stuff with a brick wall.
The feeling is mutual.

Look, if you read my previous posts, I'm not saying the 2nd gen is crap. All I'm saying is it fails to interest me which gets your panties in a bunch. I don't need to drive it to have an opinion. That's what an opinion is. It's Acura's job to get me into the showroom and from what I see (which is just a personal opinion so don't get all riled up) I just don't feel inclined.

Okay, now I'm done arguing with a brick wall.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Pro

SATURN AURA

Simply said. Thank you Acura for trashing my favorite car. Now I drive something else.

To be frank, it really doesn't matter what anyone says. I'm a consumer and it only matters what I think because I was going to buy this car. I did not buy the 2nd gen because of all the negative things said above ^^. And I whole heartedly agree with the article. I'm not an Acura hater, I'm just stating the obvious to some blind folk about here.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:51 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by jackspat2
SATURN AURA

Simply said. Thank you Acura for trashing my favorite car. Now I drive something else.

To be frank, it really doesn't matter what anyone says. I'm a consumer and it only matters what I think because I was going to buy this car. I did not buy the 2nd gen because of all the negative things said above ^^. And I whole heartedly agree with the article. I'm not an Acura hater, I'm just stating the obvious to some blind folk about here.
How in the world does this car look like a Saturn Aura?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TommySalami
I can't believe that you can't see the resemblance, they both have 4 wheels, two headlights, and 4 doors. While I can't be sure from the picture, I believe they both have a trunk too.

Gavin, sorry for dragging you into this morass. I'd still love for you to swing by even if it's just for kicks, I'd also love the check out your USA Spec interface.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:16 PM
The Anti Avatar

I was skeptical at first, but once you sit inside and drive the Saturn... you would swear you were actually sitting inside and driving a Saturn! Its incredible!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 PM
STi'd

Thanks Colin, perhaps the 3rd gen TSX or another Acura product will have me calling you up!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Racer

SATURN AURA

I can recommend a good optometrist in your area.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
SATURN AURA

If anything, the 4G TL looks much more like the Aura than the TSX. Compare the rear ends.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TommySalami
These Saturn comparisons are getting laughable. I haven't seen a single Saturn that I'd mistake for an Acura. I saw a comparison made between the new TL and the 2dr hatchback Saturn Astra over on TOV. What a joke. The Aura and TSX look nothing alike. A chrome grille and a few other shared features like steering wheel and tires doesn't mean the Aura and TSX are comparable.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:26 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spurfan15
These Saturn comparisons are getting laughable. I haven't seen a single Saturn that I'd mistake for an Acura. I saw a comparison made between the new TL and the 2dr hatchback Saturn Astra over on TOV. What a joke. The Aura and TSX look nothing alike. A chrome grille and a few other shared features like steering wheel and tires doesn't mean the Aura and TSX are comparable.

I agree with you, I just ignore these stupid comparison now. Someone who can't tell the difference between a Saturn and an Acura knows nothing about car so why bother listen to their comments. Its like saying that two people with blond hair look alike! What gets me is that these poeple think they are funny or even think that they know something about cars....I wish they would do everyone a favor and go back to watching TV or something else like...
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Wink A

I just want to point out again that altho they may have had some negative things to say, along with positive, the overall grade that the 2009 TSX received was an A.

Overall Grade
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I have suggested to the mods that this endless posting of the same things over and over again will hurt this community. It's not hard to see that there is less participation here of actual owners and I believe this is because this bashing has been allowed to continue unabated. Maybe we need a 2nd gen owner as a mod for this forum?
Not just aimed at you Colin, this is for everyone.

I'm open to suggestions. (with admin approval of course) Send me some names via PM and I'll look into it.

I may be wrong but I don't think there's any 2nd gen owners that have been around quite long enough just yet but lets have some names.

As for unabated, you can report posts and PM any of the mods any time you feel necessary. There's some truth to that fact that because we don't own 2nd gen's we're probably less likely to stay on top of things in here.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
I just want to point out again that altho they may have had some negative things to say, along with positive, the overall grade that the 2009 TSX received was an A.

Overall Grade
That grade is for the stereo alone, not that whole car.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Not just aimed at you Colin, this is for everyone.

I'm open to suggestions. (with admin approval of course) Send me some names via PM and I'll look into it.

I may be wrong but I don't think there's any 2nd gen owners that have been around quite long enough just yet but lets have some names.

As for unabated, you can report posts and PM any of the mods any time you feel necessary. There's some truth to that fact that because we don't own 2nd gen's we're probably less likely to stay on top of things in here.
I do come in here regularly to check on things, I just don't post as much. I've also told the few main complainers to cool off as needed.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I do come in here regularly to check on things, I just don't post as much. I've also told the few main complainers to cool off as needed.
I'm not saying we're (you) aren't doing our jobs, its just we're less likely to come into 2nd Gen and go thread through thread.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

And I'm not saying that you're not doing it either, but remember that this whole thread is a repeat anyway. This article at the "truth" was linked back here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43831
Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
colin for 2nd gen mod