Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2G TSX blasted by TTAC

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009-acura-tsx-review/

By Justin Berkowitz
June 25, 2008 -

You may not know this, but Acura has only two executives. One of them oversees the design and build of fantastic, fun, reliable, affordable cars. This suit was responsible for all the Integras, the NSX, the Legend and the original TSX. The other executive has the reverse Midas touch. He botched the RSX, let the NSX stagnate for a decade, and shot the Legend in the head and gave us the RL. And now that sonofabitch got his hands on the new TSX. To say the result is disappointing is to say that gas is becoming a bit dear. Advance? I don't think so.

The last TSX's sheetmetal was as neat and tidy as an OCD's tie rack. The new model is as ugly and confused as a meth addict living under a highway overpass. The TSX's profile is just plain hideous, complete with Mercedes S-Class-style over-blistered wheel arches and Grandpa's belt line. Every detail has a strange shape. The TSX's trapezoidal grill is smiling, angry-eyed Pokemon. The doors and door handles are disco ball-styled with some 30 different surfaces.

Prior to seeing this car's exterior, I thought some of these shapes were only theoretically possible. Not to put too fine a point on it, it looks like Acura hired an inebriated M.C. Escher.

The interior is worse. While the button-laced steering wheel is slicker than the hair on the sorority girls that will be driving it, the center console is an ergonomic disaster zone. There's no design per se, just hidden buttons adrift in a Black Sea of more buttons. That said, they're all well-marked. If you have reading glasses and don't mind taking your eyes off the road to play button, button, where the Hell's that button, you're good to go.

The TSX's polymers are corporate parts bin in quality, but there are huge panel gaps, coral-sharp edges, misaligned pieces of trim and some fauxluminum that looks like it came from the Chinese factory that cranks out the fenders for the 1:24 70 Chevelle™ Baldwin Motion Plastic Model Kit. But hey, the TSX's gauges are handsome and clear. Oh, and did I mention that this diminutive, svelte-bottomed writer found the Acura's entry model cramped in both the front and back seats?

By now, the odds are in Acura's favor, right? Surely the Euro-style driving experience which glorified the previous iteration will make up for "Why Did You Think You Can Dance?" aesthetic and functionality missteps. Hint: nope. If you drove and loved the previous TSX, you'll want to drive over to the Discovery Channel. Specifically, the Myth Busters demolition department.

The TSX's steering is now "electric motor drive." To laypeople, that means "Oops. We meant to put that Novocaine in your mouth, not your forearms." The helm's too light, and there's no feedback, except for occasional bursts of torque steer. For a vehicle that used to boast razor sharp steering, this is a great leap backwards. The car's handling and cornering are perfectly adequate– which puts the TSX painfully middle of the pack. It's a disappointing descent to mediocrity.

The official press release paints the Acura TSX as some kind of high-tech commuting professional car. So why is the double-wishbone (with rear multi-link) suspension is abusively harsh and jarring, and noisy to boot? The target demographic drink expensive coffee. In the TSX, they will be wearing expensive coffee.

The TSX's powertrain is new model's sole bright spot. The 2.4-liter four-cylinder is as smooth and refined as a V6. It puts out enough horsepower (201) and torque (170 ft. lbs. @ 4300 rpm) to motorvate the Acura from rest to 60 in a none-too-thrilling 7.7 seconds. While that's on par with similarly-powered competitors like Audi's base A4, so what? Equally disappointing (given the lack of thrills involved), the autobox TSX's offers 21/30 mpg. That's only slightly better than the V6 Accord's 19/29.

And what ABOUT the Accord? The TSX is tagged at $2500 more than a comparably equipped (i.e. four-pot) Accord EX-L, rewarding oxymoronic stealth badge snobbery with a whopping 11 horsepower and a logo that would flummox a Jeopardy contestant. Or, for $200 less than the TSX you can drive off the Honda lot in a loaded 268 horsepower V6 Accord. And that's just in the Honda corporate stable. You could fill an entire 800-word article with "better cars than the Acura TSX that cost around $30k."

But really, the 2009 TSX doesn't suck because there are better choices. It sucks because it's ugly, the interior's cramped, the steering's awful, it's no fun to drive and the suspension is laughably loud. And okay, a little bit because the last TSX was so much better (which now becomes a legend, so to speak). Honda needs to put the right people back in charge of their supposedly upmarket brand before it becomes a total irrelevance. Or, in this case, after.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Instructor

I have to say, as cruel as the reviewer comes off, I can't really disagree with much of what he say's.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This review has been posted before on this board. Berkowitz is certainly entitled to his opinions, but he's off on a few things. He references a comparably-equipped Accord as a beter deal, but there's no such thing as a comparably-equipped accord. They don't offer all the equipment the TSX has. You don't get the same interior materials quality and sharper styling either. He needs to drive the two back-to-back. The TSX's suspension is clearly tuned for Europe, while the softer Accord's is for the U.S. There's really no comparing the two cars. They are very different. If getting the most bang for the buck is really his thing, he can go get a Mini Cooper S

Lastly, I'm not sure what configuration he drove to get that 7.7 0-60 time. That sounds like the auto. If you really want the best sports sedan experience, you get a stick, which will knock a second off. Car & Driver got a 6.7 sec 0-60 out of one. Let Berkowitz price out the TSX's intended comparably-equipped competitors . You're looking at $5 - $10k more. Does the TSX has its weaknesses? Sure. But a savings of $5 - $10k can make me forgive a lot of shortcomings.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
9th Gear

At least the 2G TSX won't get mistaken for a 2002 Civic
Old 07-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr21
At least the 2G TSX won't get mistaken for a 2002 Civic
Very true. Instead it'll be mistaken for a Saturn!
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM
2005 WDP TL

I considered the navi v6 accord before making my purchase......I just liked the Tsx a lot better. The accord is less stylish in my opinion. There are other cars I could have had, I am very brand loyal.....plus from what I have experienced, resale is better than any other brand.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by synthetic
I have to say, as cruel as the reviewer comes off, I can't really disagree with much of what he say's.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 AM
1st Gear

I have not driven the new 09 TSX yet, but I went to my local dealership last Sunday to see the new model in person. The dealership had more of these (probably 10-15) than I expected. At the end of the row of new TSX's was a 2008 TSX and at the other end of the row were 2008 TLs. Based on looks, I prefer the new TSX over either of those cars. I can't say that I'm definitely going to buy an 09 TSX, but it's currently at the top of my list. I care more about looks, and uniqueness (I won't buy a Camry or Accord) than speed.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 PM
for EVER more!

this reviewer is very critical. he says nothing about interior bells and whistles. seems to be more drive only focused and not amenities focused. i have a 1st gen, and probably wont trade up (anytime soon - only 35 k on my 06 and i just got new tires and brakes).
Old 07-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeupnlive
I care more about looks, and uniqueness (I won't buy a Camry or Accord) than speed.
Really funny you mention that, because the FIRST thing I thought of when I saw the 2G TSX was a Camry. It's gotta be that horrid grille :

Old 07-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Like a broken record.....
Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Berserker (+9)

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
Very true. Instead it'll be mistaken for a Saturn!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 AM
for EVER more!

DAYTA - your avatar and the 2nd gen TSX have similar grills
anyone else agree?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
damn, I couldn't get thru half;f that article, they guy just abuses the use of witty comparisons way too much.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PittIsIt
anyone else agree?
Fixed
Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Instructor

I'm honestly amazed these TSX looks-comparisons are still being made. Maybe some of you are just really bad at identifying cars on the road, because I could never mistake the new TSX with any of these vehicles. I've seen quite a few new TSXs and I spotted them immediately, and I've seen all of these other vehicles listed and they look nothing like the TSX to me.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by spurfan15
I'm honestly amazed these TSX looks-comparisons are still being made. Maybe some of you are just really bad at identifying cars on the road, because I could never mistake the new TSX with any of these vehicles. I've seen quite a few new TSXs and I spotted them immediately, and I've seen all of these other vehicles listed and they look nothing like the TSX to me.
Of course the new TSX looks nothing like the other cars those people claim, like the Saturn Aura, etc. That's just haters doing what they do best - hatin'.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Craig-D
Of course the new TSX looks nothing like the other cars those people claim, like the Saturn Aura, etc. That's just haters doing what they do best - hatin'.
I've bought hondas and then acura's exclusively for almost 20 years and currently own an '04 TSX. I am entitled to my opinion about the bland, confused, derivative appearance of the latest TSX, thank you very much. Doesn't mean I hate the car, just that I'll never buy one. I want Acura to survive so that they can hopefully come out with an attractive vehicle (to me) with the next generation when I'll actually be considering buying a new one.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DAYTA
Really funny you mention that, because the FIRST thing I thought of when I saw the 2G TSX was a Camry. It's gotta be that horrid grille

Dude!
That's exactly what I thought about it when the pictures were first released. Lots of people jumped on me for my thought. Lol. I stuck with it.

It does sort of look at a Camry.

And for those that say "Well if you look hard enough, a car will look like any other car you want it to..."

...what did the 1st gen TSX look like!?!? Hmmm????

That's right. Didn't think so.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
...what did the 1st gen TSX look like!?!? Hmmm????

That's right. Didn't think so.
It looked like a Camry Solara.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:02 PM
MMC Racing Owner

Over a month now with the 09 TSX and I really enjoy the car.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by PittIsIt
anyone else agree?
Nah dude, the Mugen grille is waaaaaayyyy nicer than the 2g TSX grille
Old 07-19-2008, 10:06 PM
gets all the crazy chicks

The new TSX isn't *that* bad, but honestly I'm glad I bought an 08. It just seems more elegant than the busy (exterior and interior-wise) 09 TSX imho.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I've seen quite a few new TSXs and I spotted them immediately, and I've seen all of these other vehicles listed and they look nothing like the TSX to me.

Eh? I commute daily from the the south bay, passing through the east bay, into san francisco for work, and ahve yet to see a 2G on the road.

On the last discussed topic, however;
Ive been on a constant lookout for a 2G on the road, and when i do think I have spotted one, it turns out to be a lexus es
and I do agree the front looks similar to that of a camry
Old 07-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wong05tsx
Eh? I commute daily from the the south bay, passing through the east bay, into san francisco for work, and ahve yet to see a 2G on the road.

On the last discussed topic, however;
Ive been on a constant lookout for a 2G on the road, and when i do think I have spotted one, it turns out to be a lexus es
and I do agree the front looks similar to that of a camry
I drive the east bay to south bay commute. I've seen 5 or 6 TSXs around town and on my commute.

I have seen lots of Camrys and they look nothing like the TSX IMO. The Camry is extremely bubbly -- it seems to be bursting at the seams. It has less aggressive stance and styling. The Camry's grille is also completely different. In fact I just saw a few Camrys today and thought about the similarity suggested here and I had to laugh.

I have also seen plenty of Saturn Auras -- there is no mistaking that car for the TSX.

The Lexus ES I can see because of the tail light similarity. On first glance it could be mistaken for the TSX because of that. The front end is nothing like the TSX, and the cars are quite different on further inspection.

Everyone has different takes on car styling, but I completely disagree with these TSX comparisons.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Intermediate

I drive the east bay to south bay commute. I've seen 5 or 6 TSXs around town and on my commute.

I have seen lots of Camrys and they look nothing like the TSX IMO. The Camry is extremely bubbly -- it seems to be bursting at the seams. It has less aggressive stance and styling. The Camry's grille is also completely different. In fact I just saw a few Camrys today and thought about the similarity suggested here and I had to laugh.

I have also seen plenty of Saturn Auras -- there is no mistaking that car for the TSX.

The Lexus ES I can see because of the tail light similarity. On first glance it could be mistaken for the TSX because of that. The front end is nothing like the TSX, and the cars are quite different on further inspection.

Everyone has different takes on car styling, but I completely disagree with these TSX comparisons.
I completeyl agree with you. Most of those comments are coming from people who actually think they are funny.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:05 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Saw 2 new TSX's today. It looks decent, but the 1g looks much better
Old 07-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes