2012 TSX to 2014 Mazda3 S Touring

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TSX to 2014 Mazda3 S Touring

I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on a Mazda3 S Touring (hatch). It has most of the amenities of the TSX, uses regular as opposed to premium fuel, and better MPG. After test driving one, I can say that steering feel is much better than the TSX and the 2.5L engine gives the car some scoot. Sitting in the backseat and I can almost say that the 3 hatch MAY have slightly more legroom as well.

The one thing that I do like better in the TSX is the tried and true K24 engine. Nothing beats it in terms of smoothness and power delivery. I also know it will run well past 200K miles, judging from my previous TSX. Anyway, thoughts?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I've driven the 2014 Mazda 6 Gran Touring with the 2.5L Skyactiv, and I prefered the K24 of the TSX. The Skyactiv is definitely one of the better engines in the segment IMO, but the K24 is just right. I also felt the TSX had very slightly quicker shifts in S mode vs. the Sport shift mode in the 6, but it might just be a placebo effect from me driving the TSX for a while, I'm not really sure. Not sure how braking feel on the 3 is, but the 6 puts the TSX's to shame. Handling/driving dynamics was better in the TSX overall. One of my friends has a Mazda 3 5 dr with the 2.0 and it's an excellent car for the price IMO, but I've never driven it.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Do it.
The following users liked this post:
optimusaccord (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
Or Don't.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:31 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GBalt
I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on a Mazda3 S Touring (hatch). It has most of the amenities of the TSX, uses regular as opposed to premium fuel, and better MPG. After test driving one, I can say that steering feel is much better than the TSX and the 2.5L engine gives the car some scoot. Sitting in the backseat and I can almost say that the 3 hatch MAY have slightly more legroom as well.

The one thing that I do like better in the TSX is the tried and true K24 engine. Nothing beats it in terms of smoothness and power delivery. I also know it will run well past 200K miles, judging from my previous TSX. Anyway, thoughts?
Kind of an apples and oranges comparison, don't you think? What's next? Cross shopping a TSX and a Hyundai Elantra? Ford Focus? (All in the same market as the 3). All nice cars, and can be equipped comparably to the TSX, but none (including the 3) occupy the same (or even a similar) market. I know Acura has taken a beating in the perception game, but have we (those of us who drive and appreciate the TSX) been reduced to this?
The following 2 users liked this post by Simba91102:
Jrvtecaccord (03-27-2014), VR1 (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
Kind of an apples and oranges comparison, don't you think? What's next? Cross shopping a TSX and a Hyundai Elantra? Ford Focus? (All in the same market as the 3). All nice cars, and can be equipped comparably to the TSX, but none (including the 3) occupy the same (or even a similar) market. I know Acura has taken a beating in the perception game, but have we (those of us who drive and appreciate the TSX) been reduced to this?
Or you could compare the TSX to a Corvette or Porsche and complain about how slow the TSX is.

When I was on extended travel last year, I had the opportunity to drive most everything in the Hertz/Avis stables - from Nissan Juke (Nissan Joke?) to Prius to Mazda 3/6, an Accord, a C-class, an E class with the off Suburban thrown in.

Admittedly, this was in Colorado so altitude played a part but each had their advantages and disadvantages. The Joke broke after 2 days which led to the Mazda3. Not a bad car but fit and finish (and overall refinement) can't be compared. The Mazda3 (with 128 miles on the odometer) had more squeaks and rattles than my (at that time first) TSX wagon with 27k miles.

Quite simply, the TSX brings with it the bulletproof "Hondaness" of the marque with a bit more refinement than the Honda - you find that in Toyota/Lexus and nowhere else.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I just tested the Mazda3 S Grand Touring this past weekend and while I generally like it, I have a few complaints:

1. The sound of the engine is extraordinarily wheezy compared with the intake growl from the K24. Since there is no exhaust sound to cover it up, from inside the cabin, the Mazda3 sounds like an anemic economy car, even though it is plenty peppy.
2. The rear seats are not that comfortable, especially for long-legged passengers. It is too low to the ground and pushes the knees up and offers little thigh support as a result.
3. The car feels severely under-tired and exhibits a lot more understeer than I would like. I already feel like the TSX is under-tired with its 10mm wider rubber so I wish that Mazda would offer an optional higher performance tire package for the 3S to give it more grip.
4. All of the more premium feeling materials up front fail to carry into the back seat. While I spend little time back there, I would prefer a more consistent experience. This last point is not really a deal breaker though.

Not sure I agree about the steering. In terms of EPS steering systems, the TSX one is among the best I have tried of late, though still does not hold a candle to a proper hydraulic power steering setup. With the Mazda 3, I felt like the steering was pretty good, but still got a little too vague for my taste on-center, as if it was intentionally filtering out some road input.

My biggest problem is that configured as such, the Mazda3 edges up to $27k. There are similarly equipped cars with a lot more performance at that price.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
^But none that has that zoom zoom feeling.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
I'm not totally sure you can compare the mazda3 with the TSX. I did test drive a Mazda and it feels way less premium and doesn't drive nearly as well.
The following users liked this post:
808CU2 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
But why? Gas may be the only legit reason IMO, but is it that big of a deciding factor? I drove the 2014 Mazda 6 Touring before and for about 24-25k out the door it wasn't worth it. Plus I've been on Mazda forums and there are obvious bugs since its a newly redesigned car. It felt underpowered and the one I was in navigation wouldnt even work... I would much rather have something more refined like an Acura. Trust me, when people see you drive around your TSX, they would want it, not the other way around. Unless you're comparing a Speed 3 to a TSX where the Speed clearly has more power, it's not worth it and you will regret it.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:29 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Exactly ^^
And the speed 3 is still on the old body style also, not the new one.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by iCrap
Exactly ^^
And the speed 3 is still on the old body style also, not the new one.
I actually didn't mind the old styling for the Speed. I've seen a couple on the road before that look pretty sick. The front is meh but the rest looks good. Funny thing was when I went to the Mazda dealership I went for the '14 6 but it was really the Speed that caught my eye lol.

But if you're looking at hatchbacks I think the GTI is still better than a Speed 3. Now if only they could make them reliable...
Old 03-26-2014, 11:55 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Yeah i agree the GTI looks way better. I test drove that too when on the search for my car, but the horrible dash board layout, weird interior and plad seats really killed it (also the higher insurance costs)

I do like the speed 3's exterior a lot actually, but the interior on it is horrible.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah i agree the GTI looks way better. I test drove that too when on the search for my car, but the horrible dash board layout, weird interior and plad seats really killed it (also the higher insurance costs)

I do like the speed 3's exterior a lot actually, but the interior on it is horrible.
Ugh those plad seats. If I was getting it I wasn't gonna settle for anything less than the Autobahn package.

Yeah that's true I forgot the old Mazdas had those outdated small screens. And it's plastic overload.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Conversely, I went from 06 Mazda 3 SGT to 2012 TSX and fit and finish on the Acura is much better than the Mazda. I do miss the 3 but I am not the fan of new dash and gauges. I have been contemplating going back, but new 3 SGT with Sport appearance package is 29K! Ouch! I will rater get Mercedes, or an A3!

Once you go luxury you can't go back!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 AM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman
Once you go luxury you can't go back!
actually I'm thinking something more powerful and less luxury...Charger or Golf R (with leather)
Attached Thumbnails 2012 TSX to 2014 Mazda3 S Touring-capture.jpg   2012 TSX to 2014 Mazda3 S Touring-capture1.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Those are still kinda luxury-ish. (well the golf at least, I've never been in a charger).

For my next car i'm going power over luxury for sure.. Evo or WRX maybe. Those two aren't very luxurious at all.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 PM
2010 TSX

For my next car i'm going power over luxury for sure.. Evo or WRX maybe. Those two aren't very luxurious at all.
WRX/STi is in the running as well

The following 2 users liked this post by bagwell:
iamitman (03-28-2014), Jaheri_cbp (06-26-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bagwell
WRX/STi is in the running as well

Not going to lie, I have considered new WRX (non STi) because it is only car you can get with manual tranny. If the Mercedes and Audi offered manuals in CLS and A3 they will be sitting my driveway now.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
For me Evo > STi any day. I have friends with both cars of previous generations, and since these cars are about power and being trackable the Evo felt more at home in both aspects. As for comparing the Mazda 3 with the TSX, to me their not even remotely in the same class. The Mazda 6 is a more worthy car to compare the TSX to then the 3.!! IMO..!!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
The evo is now done, only the wrx/sti remains.

What else is there to compare to the rex? it was the first to the American market, and the only one left. Maybe the focus st??
Old 03-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by optimusaccord
The evo is now done, only the wrx/sti remains.

What else is there to compare to the rex? it was the first to the American market, and the only one left. Maybe the focus st??
Pretty much all that remains is the Focus ST in terms of pure performance oriented cars. Mazda has indicated that there will likely be a Mazdaspeed3 of some kind down the road, but there have been no clues on what that would actually look like.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman
Not going to lie, I have considered new WRX (non STi) because it is only car you can get with manual tranny. If the Mercedes and Audi offered manuals in CLS and A3 they will be sitting my driveway now.
They do... in Europe.

Not here in the US since we Americans are so lazy shift ourselves
Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I don't think we'll be seeing a Speed3 of the current generation anytime soon.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
If it were the Mazda3 vs the ILX, I'd easily go with the Mazda3. Comparing it to the TSX is a more difficult choice.

In my garage, I have a 2012 TSX Wagon (AT) and a 2010 Mazda3 Sedan (MT). Not quite the same models the OP is asking about, but perhaps close enough to shed some insight.

No surprise, but my TSX Wagon is quieter and better appointed than my Mazda3. Headlights, tires, equipment are superior. Both drive and handle very nicely, although I find the Mazda3 more fun.

What is surprising is that TSX Wagon has no spare tire. Also, its bluetooth is flakey, even after the TSB upgrade. And at 26,000 miles, the windshield trim piece became unglued -- on a 2nd gen, 2nd year model no less. Shame! You can search this forum for details.

In contrast, my Mazda3 bluetooth has had no problems. The car has minor rattles I can live with, but body parts have never come off.

Looking at the OP's cars, the 2014 Mazda3 hatch has more cargo space and is more fuel efficient than the 2012 TSX sedan. But if you service your car at dealerships, you'll find Acura Service is a level above Mazda's.

For me, I'd go with the 2014 Mazda3 because it suits my personality better. I see Mazda working hard, being innovative, and steadily improving. Mazda today reminds me of what Honda was in the 1980s and 1990s.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rawger
But why? Gas may be the only legit reason IMO, but is it that big of a deciding factor? I drove the 2014 Mazda 6 Touring before and for about 24-25k out the door it wasn't worth it. Plus I've been on Mazda forums and there are obvious bugs since its a newly redesigned car. It felt underpowered and the one I was in navigation wouldnt even work... I would much rather have something more refined like an Acura. Trust me, when people see you drive around your TSX, they would want it, not the other way around. Unless you're comparing a Speed 3 to a TSX where the Speed clearly has more power, it's not worth it and you will regret it.
I agree, I test drove the 6 Grand Touring. Beautiful looking car but…
Hard uncomfortable seats
Hard to read dash
Bose that did not sound like Bose
LOTS OF ROAD NOISE

Just did not scream 30K+

In comparison with TSX I get a much better ride and frankly a much more reliable car. I do miss some tech features that should be on the TSX at a 34K price point:

Pushbutton start
Blind spot alert
Keyless entry (just can't believe any luxury car is still equipped with a key)
Intuitive voice command

with the biggest issue being that damn key.

OP, I would look at the Kia. specifically the SXT which I found for about 28K was loaded. Its only issue is the depreciation/resale IMHO.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EricInMaryland
Hard uncomfortable seats
Hard to read dash
LOTS OF ROAD NOISE

Just did not scream 30K+

In comparison with TSX I get a much better ride and frankly a much more reliable car. I do miss some tech features that should be on the TSX at a 34K price point:

Pushbutton start
Blind spot alert
Intuitive voice command

OP, I would look at the Kia. specifically the SXT which I found for about 28K was loaded. Its only issue is the depreciation/resale IMHO.
Yeah that Nav screen in the new Mazda is WAY too small anyways, they really needed to make it a good 3-4 inches bigger. I didn't get much of a feel for the seats, if I was going to buy that car though I definitely needed another test drive because I didn't feel much, probably the reason I didn't like it, just felt dull and boring.

And I also agree that the TSX should have had touch start and keyless entry, at least. Hell even my sisters 2009 Altima has those features. I really don't care much for push start, I kind of like having a key, don't know why. The only annoying part is actually having to take it out of my pocket or a backpack or something. BSM should have been an absolute must IMO. Even the new Accords have the feature where the side mirror has a camera for when you use your blinker which is awesome.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Hard uncomfortable seats
Hard to read dash
LOTS OF ROAD NOISE

Just did not scream 30K+

Pushbutton start
Blind spot alert
Intuitive voice command

I'm thinking this is a good thing. There's a reason why friends tell friends to Buy Other Sound Equipment.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 PM
Racer

Yeah that Nav screen in the new Mazda is WAY too small anyways, they really needed to make it a good 3-4 inches bigger. I didn't get much of a feel for the seats, if I was going to buy that car though I definitely needed another test drive because I didn't feel much, probably the reason I didn't like it, just felt dull and boring.

And I also agree that the TSX should have had touch start and keyless entry, at least. Hell even my sisters 2009 Altima has those features. I really don't care much for push start, I kind of like having a key, don't know why. The only annoying part is actually having to take it out of my pocket or a backpack or something. BSM should have been an absolute must IMO. Even the new Accords have the feature where the side mirror has a camera for when you use your blinker which is awesome.
Once you've had push start and keyless entry, you won't want to deal with a FOB again.
The following 2 users liked this post by EricInMaryland:
iCrap (03-29-2014), musty hustla (03-31-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Once you've had push start and keyless entry, you won't want to deal with a FOB again.
I mean I have already like I said, I get it's somewhat annoying, I guess I'm biased because for some odd reason I actually like having a key. Getting in the car without keyless entry is more annoying than a push start IMO.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
I'm thinking this is a good thing. There's a reason why friends tell friends to Buy Other Sound Equipment.
Lol, I haven't heard that one before, but it's spot on. Bose is overrated and the same goes for their car sound systems. It came with my cousin's Mazda 3, but he changed them all to Kicker speakers and installed a sub, now that's a sound system.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

I've heard that one many times before lol. BOSE sucks.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
I had push button start and keyless entry in my last 2 Acuras. Do I miss it yes, can I live without it, most certainly.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
The fact that Mazda Used to have a 4/50 bumper to bumper, but reduced it to 3/36 makes me leery of purchasing a Mazda. If the manufacturer doesn't stand behind their vehicle, why should I. My aunt was looking into Mazda when she bought her last accord, but they had the current model year and the previous model year of the same car, the newer one had less warranty, we actually walked away due to that.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:37 AM
2010 TSX

this is my #1 disappointment with the TSX.......freaking PRIUS had this in 2004
Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard uncomfortable seats
Hard to read dash
LOTS OF ROAD NOISE

Just did not scream 30K+

Pushbutton start
Blind spot alert
Intuitive voice command

Most of the things you mention - meh... at the end of the day... most stuff to break perhaps...

I agree with you about the Bose - no highs, no lows, gotta be Bose

I'd strongly reconsider against the Kia option - it's a nice spec-sheet car so it hits the checkpoints on initial purchase - but what's it going to be five years and 100,000K plus miles?
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Push to start is great, but what's not so great is when the key falls out of my pocket and into the seat and I forget about it and walk away with the car unlocked :/
Old 03-31-2014, 12:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Push to start is great, but what's not so great is when the key falls out of my pocket and into the seat and I forget about it and walk away with the car unlocked :/
I know with Nissan at least if you try closing the car and the keys are still inside it will beep and not let you lock the car. Saved me twice from being locked out!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

I know with Nissan at least if you try closing the car and the keys are still inside it will beep and not let you lock the car. Saved me twice from being locked out!
It was an Infinti actually. it will let you lock the car if you have two keys ( i did )
Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sfx2000
Most of the things you mention - meh... at the end of the day... most stuff to break perhaps...

I agree with you about the Bose - no highs, no lows, gotta be Bose

I'd strongly reconsider against the Kia option - it's a nice spec-sheet car so it hits the checkpoints on initial purchase - but what's it going to be five years and 100,000K plus miles?
Well that is the real trade off isn't it. Give up bells and newer whistles for extended reliability and resale ( or spend more to get them from Acura).

I have never kept a car much over 100K. So, I am not sure what to really expect...or if I even want a car that old. Time will tell....

Quick Reply: 2012 TSX to 2014 Mazda3 S Touring