2012 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:24 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by optimusaccord
Header isn't welded to the head, exhaust manifold is cast into the head, just like the engine in the TL.
vvv:

Originally Posted by russel082581
^ ummmmm.....? same thing.

Maybe he'll chime in with a definition of each. Let's give him a chance to explain.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I am not impressed with the Civic Si at all. For starters, it's butt ugly. Second, it's an also-ran in its class in terms of its performance capabilities. Entry into the top of this class now begins at 240 hp. Compare it with the MazdaSpeed3. Take a look at the coming Ford Focus ST inside and out and tell me why anyone would choose a Civic over it. The Civic Si would have a fairer fight against the coming Ford Fiesta ST.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ i agree, its pretty ugly out and in, dunno why we cant get the SI-R spec one, its better looking IMO. and also, its no match against other sport coupes like u said, only 200hp..fail honda, sorry, love yah but fail. put a 2.4 turbo awd and call it a day.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by princelybug
vvv:

Maybe he'll chime in with a definition of each. Let's give him a chance to explain.
heh..i knew i wasnt crazy!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Racer

maybe Emeril should join hondas engineering dept so they can 'kick it up a notch' haha..ha..ok...
Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Guys, i went to the 2011 auto show today, i sat in the new civic SI, and i was INCREDIBLY UNDERWHELMED. The interior was dull and boring, the car looked "ok" on the outside, as ok it would look considering it was a mild refresh, but really the interior was hugely disappointing. Honda really disappointed me on this one, because i really, really wanted to like this car. I sat and looked around at the console and started falling asleep. After sitting in the elantra and fiesta as well I can confidently say I wont be considering the civic for my family's next DD.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
Casting process allows for the engineers/designers to control how the exhaust ports flow together, cast out of aluminum, and is "neat/tidy". Saying the manifold is welded to the head, in my mind is indicative of cheaply slapped on. Also, the exhaust port on the head is of a much larger diameter than any stock honda merge collector, and one would imagine more efficient, than some mass produced welded/cast together iron manifold.

Also, and this has nothing to do with a stock setup, I think the exhaust port would allow for a very quick adaption of an aftermarket turbo setup, which is why I purchased this chassis in the first place. (albeit not knowing that there was still going to be a total lack of aftermarket tuning potential going on 2.5 years later)

I have been looking for a k24z3 head, to purchase on the side, as I would like to have a head with a street port done to it by a professional shop with a before and after cfm flow chart. I think there is alot of power to be had in the head, looking at the intake ports, there is plenty of room to open up, I envision the exhaust side is even more so, like so many honda's before it.

I just didn't want someone skimming through this to see the welded exhaust manifold with no reference to think a negative thing like that, that's all.

The Honda's of the 90s are gone, I am a firm believer that Honda needs to get off their laurels and fast track their new stuff to market, because what is out is pretty sad. But from a daily ownership standpoint, mpg, dealer interactions, and overall ownership, I don't see myself going to any other brand. If I were to replace this TSX, it would be for the AWD 6 speed TL.

Sorry, end rant.

Last edited by optimusaccord; 04-23-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Casting process allows for the engineers/designers to control how the exhaust ports flow together, cast out of aluminum, and is "neat/tidy". Saying the manifold is welded to the head, in my mind is indicative of cheaply slapped on. Also, the exhaust port on the head is of a much larger diameter than any stock honda merge collector, and one would imagine more efficient, than some mass produced welded/cast together iron manifold.

Also, and this has nothing to do with a stock setup, I think the exhaust port would allow for a very quick adaption of an aftermarket turbo setup, which is why I purchased this chassis in the first place. (albeit not knowing that there was still going to be a total lack of aftermarket tuning potential going on 2.5 years later)

I have been looking for a k24z3 head, to purchase on the side, as I would like to have a head with a street port done to it by a professional shop with a before and after cfm flow chart. I think there is alot of power to be had in the head, looking at the intake ports, there is plenty of room to open up, I envision the exhaust side is even more so, like so many honda's before it.

I just didn't want someone skimming through this to see the welded exhaust manifold with no reference to think a negative thing like that, that's all.

The Honda's of the 90s are gone, I am a firm believer that Honda needs to get off their laurels and fast track their new stuff to market, because what is out is pretty sad. But from a daily ownership standpoint, mpg, dealer interactions, and overall ownership, I don't see myself going to any other brand. If I were to replace this TSX, it would be for the AWD 6 speed TL.

Sorry, end rant.
So you're saying that it's the same thing, in a different way?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Think he just had an issue with the way you said they were "welded" when they were in fact, "cast".

Either way, the header/exhaust manifold won't be leaving the block anytime soon.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
At a high level, yes. Technically, no. To optimize the exhaust gas flow, we will require a head job, which I have been trying to obtain a spare k24z3 head to have this done.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 AM
Old Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
Guys, i went to the 2011 auto show today, i sat in the new civic SI, and i was INCREDIBLY UNDERWHELMED. The interior was dull and boring, the car looked "ok" on the outside, as ok it would look considering it was a mild refresh, but really the interior was hugely disappointing. Honda really disappointed me on this one, because i really, really wanted to like this car. I sat and looked around at the console and started falling asleep. After sitting in the elantra and fiesta as well I can confidently say I wont be considering the civic for my family's next DD.
Make the TSX the DD.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:12 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by Aman
Think he just had an issue with the way you said they were "welded" when they were in fact, "cast".

Either way, the header/exhaust manifold won't be leaving the block anytime soon.
At a high level, yes. Technically, no. To optimize the exhaust gas flow, we will require a head job, which I have been trying to obtain a spare k24z3 head to have this done.
Got it!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Good thread folks, and thanks for the thoughts. Sounds like I'll be giving the Si a test drive, but likely hanging on to my TSX
Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
Good thread folks, and thanks for the thoughts. Sounds like I'll be giving the Si a test drive, but likely hanging on to my TSX
Same here. I'll check it out, but I doubt I'll give up the TSX. I have two kids, and I don't want to compromise safety by getting a car that's about 500 pounds lighter. I didn't realize the difference was so large until I checked the specs this morning. (If the Civic ends up performing like the TSX is crash testing, I could change my mind though.)

Plus, it seems most agree with killerG that the interior is seriously below par, which is a shame. I love the TSX interior apart from the squeaks and rattles, which I did not expect from a Honda.