2010 V6 TSX Alternator/Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021 | 04:20 PM
2nd Gear

2010 V6 TSX Alternator/Serpentine Belt

New member here. I have searched the 2nd Gen TSX forum for info related to my problem but have come up empty-handed so I apologize if this has already been posted. It's fun having a relatively rare car until you search for information on repairs and can't find anything...

So - the "check charging system" light on my 2010 3.5L V6 TSX came on this morning. I recently replaced the battery so I'm guessing it's the alternator. There is also a whining sound and burning smell so hopefully that's all related and not multiple problems. Anyway, I know that in general, replacing an alternator is a pretty simple repair and I believe I have the tools/skills to do so. However all the videos/other information online that I can find are for the 4-cyl. Has anyone with the V6 done this repair? If so, is there anything I need to look out for or special considerations? It looks like it is pretty cramped and there is not as much room to maneuver as there is with the 4-cyl. Wondering what I may need to move out of the way (or what I definitely SHOULD NOT move) to get it done. For some background, I have done limited work on previous vehicles but I am not an expert and have always just taken this car to the dealer when it needs something.

Secondary and related question - I figured while I'm at it I might replace the serpentine belt. When you google "2010 V6 TSX Serpentine Belt Diagram" it comes back with a few hits, all of which indicate that there is a pulley for the power steering pump. Now, my understanding is that there is no power steering pump in this car as the power steering is electric. Can anyone confirm this? When I looked under the hood, I could see the crankshaft pulley, A/C, alternator, and a tensioner. I could not see any other pulleys but as I said it is pretty cramped and a little tough to tell.

If you've read this far, I appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-24-2021 | 11:02 AM
Instructor

When I replaced it on my 4-cyl the bottom bolt slot was the hardest for me to wiggle it out. I guess the bolt/heat pressed in so hard for years.

Take your time it's a simple job but the bolts will take time to remove as the bottom one was hard to reach to begin with.
Old 02-24-2021 | 06:16 PM
2nd Gear

Update - since the V6 TSX has the same engine as the TL, I watched a few TL alternator replacement videos to get an idea of what I needed to do. The configuration of the TSX is not identical but it is pretty close. I had to remove a few more things for the TSX to actually get the alternator out. Getting it unbolted was easy enough, but getting it out was a bear. I struggled with that for quite a while but after removing the coolant overflow tank, the bracket that holds the coolant overflow tank, moving the A/C line out of the way, and removing the top part of the wiper fluid tank, I finally got it out. I am waiting for the new one to be shipped so I haven't finished the job yet but I am optimistic.

Also I confirmed that the serpentine belt diagrams for the V6 TSX online are all BS. I don't know how or why they are so wrong, but they all are. Look for the TL diagram instead - it is also correct for the V6 TSX.
The following users liked this post:
d2k2vic (03-06-2021)