2010 tsx rear A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 tsx rear A/C question

I noticed the 2012 has rear a/c vents...Having bought the car before having our first child i need a/c back there especially leaving on cali. Anyway to retrofit a/c vents to the rear or it's not worth the effort or price?
Old 10-03-2014, 02:53 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
i don't think its really worth the effort or price honestly.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
I wish it was reasonable...
Old 10-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
I don't even use mine, but that's probably because no one sits in the back. Lol
Old 10-03-2014, 04:27 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
forever alone^
The following users liked this post:
rawger (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
forever alone^

The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (10-03-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rawger
Old 10-05-2014, 03:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rawger
Lol....don't know the tsx never had push start and rear ac...my son gets super hot or else I wouldn't care. Hopefully I can sell it in the next several months.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by alexbenz
I noticed the 2012 has rear a/c vents...Having bought the car before having our first child i need a/c back there especially leaving on cali. Anyway to retrofit a/c vents to the rear or it's not worth the effort or price?
The front vents and ventilation system has plenty of oomph to control the temperature in the back seat of the car. The baby is not going to complain about being too hot or too cold.

I have two kids and they traveled in a Suburu Outback 10 years ago that was missing vents in the back and they turned out fine. Our Nissan Leaf doesn't have rear vents now and there are few complaints. Most of the time my daughter actually turns off the flow of air in the back of my TL because she gets 'too cold'.

You'll want another car in a few years and I guarantee that it will be for a different reason-quite likely needing more space.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
The front vents and ventilation system has plenty of oomph to control the temperature in the back seat of the car. The baby is not going to complain about being too hot or too cold.

I have two kids and they traveled in a Suburu Outback 10 years ago that was missing vents in the back and they turned out fine. Our Nissan Leaf doesn't have rear vents now and there are few complaints. Most of the time my daughter actually turns off the flow of air in the back of my TL because she gets 'too cold'.

You'll want another car in a few years and I guarantee that it will be for a different reason-quite likely needing more space.
There is enough air but it takes forever. My wife sits back there for now and I get cold while there on fire until it gets to them. Were going to have more kids and space is needed. Wanted the new RDX but that doesn't have rear vents as well. Also the fact they discontinued the tsx also makes me want to get rid of it.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
There is enough air but it takes forever. My wife sits back there for now and I get cold while there on fire until it gets to them. Were going to have more kids and space is needed. Wanted the new RDX but that doesn't have rear vents as well. Also the fact they discontinued the tsx also makes me want to get rid of it.
I think I see an Odyssey in your future. Tons of bells and whistles as well as Tri-zone automatic climate control.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
I think I see an Odyssey in your future. Tons of bells and whistles as well as Tri-zone automatic climate control.
Heck no. That's what my wife and I discussed. Never a mini van, even though it is comfortable with everything... at least not now
Old 10-05-2014, 08:44 PM

I hear you. It isn't sexy, but it sure makes life easier with all the kids stuff, not to mention Home Depot, furniture pick up etc..... We had two (one was simply an upgrade) after the Mrs. swore she would never drive one. However we did eventually upgrade to an MDX when the kids got older.

Maybe a Pilot?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Instructor

I hear you. It isn't sexy, but it sure makes life easier with all the kids stuff, not to mention Home Depot, furniture pick up etc..... We had two (one was simply an upgrade) after the Mrs. swore she would never drive one. However we did eventually upgrade to an MDX when the kids got older.

Maybe a Pilot?
You got that right!! Not sexy at all...my wife wants to be able to walk away and look back and love the car instead of being content with it...I agree , we've looked at the MDX. While I like it she thinks it alright...our good friend has a pilot but I'm not liking the looks and MPG's...for the time being we might get into a volvo xc60 as a lease or else I might pick up a rx350 for now.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:11 AM

MPG is the main reason we got rid of the MDX although the newer ones get better mileage. We absolutely loved the MDX but with the number of miles we were putting on it along with mediocre MPG and premium fuel requirement it was ridiculous. RX350 was on our list and what I thought we should get. The Mrs. pushed for the third row for carpooling etc..... The RX350 only has two rows and not as much room behind the second row as you might think. I, personally would not own a Volvo as I know too many folks that have had issues with them. The new Highlander is nice............
Old 10-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Instructor

MPG is the main reason we got rid of the MDX although the newer ones get better mileage. We absolutely loved the MDX but with the number of miles we were putting on it along with mediocre MPG and premium fuel requirement it was ridiculous. RX350 was on our list and what I thought we should get. The Mrs. pushed for the third row for carpooling etc..... The RX350 only has two rows and not as much room behind the second row as you might think. I, personally would not own a Volvo as I know too many folks that have had issues with them. The new Highlander is nice............
Yes the new ones claim 20/28...3rd row is nice to have though. We drive a lot so the Mpgs matter. The Volvo has a rating of 24/31 and we'd lease it... by then baby #2 would be Here so wed need a bigger car. I don't like the Highlanders middle caption seats... plus a fully loaded Highlander is overpriced I think.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:13 PM

Just something to read - https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...es-rdx-918961/

Old 10-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Instructor

that's been a thought as well...if only i can get over the kia badge...lol

For the time being i remembered lexus IS owners doing a mod to get the air from under the front seats to blow upwards to the rear passengers. i wonder if i can find it or if there's a way to do so for now...

I even saw this but it looks funny
The Noggle | Car AC Extension for Pets & Kids, The Noggle, especially designed for Pets & kids, is a must have travel accessory that greatly improves your automotive air conditioning and heating system.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Again I hear you on the Korean badge...........

The Noggle is funny, but suppose it could be worth a shot. Just need to think about what you are going to do with it when not in use.
Pretty sure there are heat vents under the front seats for the rear passengers. Not sure what it would take to get AC to come out of them. The 3G TL has ducting through the center console / armrest to the back seat but don't know if it is possible to rig up something for the TSX.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Instructor

lol ya the noggle would be lost when not in use but i'm sure i can rig something like it with parts from home depot, it won't look nice but it's something..

What does the TL ducting look like?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
I don't know where you live but I have lived in some incredibly hot climates and definitely appreciate good air conditioning and dealing with hot interiors. The rear vents help direct air a little better, but will not make up for a weak air conditioner or one that might need recharging.

My TL has good A/C but there is a lot of cooling power lost chilling those vents on the extra run to the back. The air coming out of the rear vents does not have the same pressure as the front vents either.

We also have a Pilot and its vents seem even weaker than the TLs, but yet the Pilot can be temperature controlled very well for the interior volume it has. For that large vehicle the 4 front vents seem to do the majority of the job.

For your TSX, I suggest first flushing out the hot air with the windows open. Dropping the inside temperature by 10F will make a huge difference in quickly cooling the cabin with the A/C.

The hot weather is almost over for this season and your wife probably won't be travelling in the back for more than a year anyway unless you have another baby. If that happens, you'll be taking another vehicle and the vent envy will subside.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:43 AM

lol ya the noggle would be lost when not in use but i'm sure i can rig something like it with parts from home depot, it won't look nice but it's something..

What does the TL ducting look like?
I don't have pix but can take a couple if you would like. I'm sure a quick google search would help. I also found this - https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-ducts-815648/. It's not exactly the same but gives you an idea.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I don't know where you live but I have lived in some incredibly hot climates and definitely appreciate good air conditioning and dealing with hot interiors. The rear vents help direct air a little better, but will not make up for a weak air conditioner or one that might need recharging.

My TL has good A/C but there is a lot of cooling power lost chilling those vents on the extra run to the back. The air coming out of the rear vents does not have the same pressure as the front vents either.

We also have a Pilot and its vents seem even weaker than the TLs, but yet the Pilot can be temperature controlled very well for the interior volume it has. For that large vehicle the 4 front vents seem to do the majority of the job.

For your TSX, I suggest first flushing out the hot air with the windows open. Dropping the inside temperature by 10F will make a huge difference in quickly cooling the cabin with the A/C.

The hot weather is almost over for this season and your wife probably won't be travelling in the back for more than a year anyway unless you have another baby. If that happens, you'll be taking another vehicle and the vent envy will subside.
we do that but i guess it's more of a wanting...i know i get cold since i'm driving but both her and the little guy are hot...We love our tsx but it's more room issue thing as well. We'll see what were going to do in the near future. Weather we sell it for something bigger. I like the RDX/MDX
I don't have pix but can take a couple if you would like. I'm sure a quick google search would help. I also found this - https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-ducts-815648/. It's not exactly the same but gives you an idea.
Thanks